Accomplished musicians who started with Suzuki Method

April 12, 2012 at 06:41 PM · I'm compiling a list of accomplished musicians who began their musical path with the Suzuki Method. They don't have to be violinists, they can play other instruments (maybe they even switched at some point.) Also, they can be classical or any other genre, like rock, folk, pop, etc. If they are classical, they can be well-known teachers, performers, concertmasters, soloists, etc.

A few off the top of my head;

Anne Akiko-Meyers

Zach de Pue (All the de Pue brothers?)

Brian Lewis

There's a zillion more, help me think of them!

Replies (24)

April 12, 2012 at 06:42 PM · For extra credit points, tell me what Suzuki program they were part of...;)

April 12, 2012 at 06:52 PM · Hilary Hahn, from what I remember reading in the past =)

April 12, 2012 at 06:59 PM · Regina Carter (jazz violinist), Kelly Leon (San Francisco Symphony), Suzanne Leon (San Francisco Symphony), Susan Synnentvedt, (Chicago Symphony), Sylvia Davis-Morris (Chicago Sinfonietta): Suzuki Program at the now- defunct Detroit Community Music School.

April 12, 2012 at 07:34 PM · Jane Harbour, teacher and folk/classical violinist, of the band Spiro in the UK. A pupil of Shin'ichi Suzuki in Japan.

April 12, 2012 at 07:47 PM · Erin Keefe, at least partially.

April 12, 2012 at 07:52 PM · Julia Fischer.

April 12, 2012 at 08:08 PM · National Fiddle Champions and Grand Masters Champions Tristan and Tashina Clarridge, and Alex Hargreaves (also a fantastic jazz violinist)

April 12, 2012 at 08:17 PM · Laurie Niles. ;)

April 12, 2012 at 08:59 PM · Sarah Chang.

April 12, 2012 at 09:46 PM · Joshua Bell

April 13, 2012 at 12:01 AM · I think it might be more difficult (and maybe more interesting) at this point to find accomplished violinists under the age of 35 who *didn't* start with the Suzuki method.

April 13, 2012 at 07:38 AM · Leticia Moreno

http://www.deviolines.com/leticia-moreno/

http://leticiamoreno.com/

and me XD

April 13, 2012 at 08:07 AM · Arabella Steinbacher: http://bit.ly/Hwlv0V

Lena Neudauer: http://bit.ly/HFo5Tj

Korbinian Altenberger: http://bit.ly/HEDV4i http://bit.ly/HPWfV7

All three, together with Julia Fischer, were students of Helge Thelen, arguably the most successful Suzuki teacher (in terms of preparing professional violinists) I know.

FMF

April 13, 2012 at 03:09 PM · Hah, Gene! No, I won't be included in this list.

One big reason is that I didn't study using the Suzuki Method as a kid. After doing the teacher training for all 10 books and teaching it forever, I sort of feel as though I have, but technically, I didn't. My childhood teacher, Jim Maurer of Denver, was just delving into Suzuki (his wife Jackie was thoroughly immersed) when I started with him. I actually started at my public school and had a "traditional" track.

April 13, 2012 at 04:48 PM · Haha, half kidding, of course. I took lessons from Maurer as well from ~'77-'79. I don't actually recall if it was Jim or Jackie, as my sister and I had lessons simultaneously, one from each. But I remember that you had also taken from Maurer which is why I assumed you started with Suzuki training.

April 13, 2012 at 04:54 PM · Gene, I want to say that I started in about '80 with Jim. Close timing! Did you go to their house? I lived a block away. :) It's a small world.

April 13, 2012 at 05:44 PM · Takako Nishizaki, one of the first students to graduate from the Suzuki school in Japan.

April 13, 2012 at 05:50 PM · Laurie -- Yes, small world indeed. My sister and I did go to their house for lessons. One of us was upstairs, and the other in the basement. Either Jim or Jackie was my primary teacher, but I think they would also switch once in a while, which is why I don't really recall which was my primary (I'm pretty sure it was Jim).

To add my contribution to this thread, Dylana Jenson also started with Suzuki method.

April 13, 2012 at 06:23 PM · According to your interview with her, Regina Carter.

April 13, 2012 at 06:47 PM · Leila Josefowicz

Ray Chen

Martin Chalifour (Principal Concertmaster of LA Phil)

Robert Gupta (LA Phil)

Yu-Chien Tseng (Tchaikovsky Competition prize winner)

Hilary Hahn started with the Suzuki program at the Peabody Institute.

April 15, 2012 at 04:23 PM · How about William Preucil, Jr. who studied with William Preucil, Sr. and Doris Preucil.

April 16, 2012 at 06:40 AM · I think this is most interesting,as I'm following the Suzuki method with my pupils who are adults and absolutely love this way and so do the pupils. Unfortunately we don't have it in this country, but thanks and I will be following you closely

April 16, 2012 at 02:49 PM · Anne Akiko Meyers studied under the Suzuki method with Shirley Helmick in Ridgecrest, California.

April 16, 2012 at 05:24 PM · Nick Kendall (of Time for Three)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe