How much does your case weigh?

March 31, 2012 at 08:15 PM · Mine weighs 14.6 lbs. Is that about normal?

Replies (21)

March 31, 2012 at 08:41 PM · That's a little on the light side. Do you feed it regularly?

March 31, 2012 at 09:19 PM · OH JEEZ that is heavy. I'm all for heavier cases, but wow. All of mine are under 10lbs except for my double case.

April 1, 2012 at 12:10 AM · That doesn't sound like a light case to me! I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but I believe mine weighs 9.6 lbs.

April 1, 2012 at 12:41 AM · 9 lbs, but it's a double.

April 1, 2012 at 01:22 AM · The normal rental one: 7lbs( barely ever use)

Dart shape: 3 lbs(school)

This really cute halfmoon Chinese made one: 2.7 lbs(everyday)

Yours is freakin giant compare to mine

That's NON-loaded

here's fully load

Dart shape :2 bows and the usual (rosin, shoulder rest,extra strings) with A folder that hold ten page of sheet music and a violin method book: 4.6 lbs

Chinese halfmoon(containing same as above with two extra book): 4.5 lbs

Why exactly do you old geezer(no offense) carry around a heavy case when you're prone to health problem and are yet a thousand and time more careful than us teenager???

10-20lbs?! God, that's like a good arm workout Everytime you carry it.

By the way, for the extra acc. I sew my own mini messenger bag to carry them. It make you look smarter when you have and extra bag than carry stuff that you barely ever touch.

April 1, 2012 at 02:01 AM · Nobody seems to have noticed that the original poster said "Fully Loaded". I assume that he meant the weight of the case, plus the violin and bow(s), and all the other things we stuff in our cases.

I don't have a scale so I can't weigh my loaded case, but I expect the violin and all the gear would add a few pounds to the original 5-lb weight of the case.

April 1, 2012 at 02:22 AM · Yes, the weight with everything in your case that you normally carry around. I'm not sure what my empty weight is but it must be 8 to 10 lbs.

April 1, 2012 at 03:07 AM · Empty: 7 lbs, fully loaded: 8.8 lbs.

April 1, 2012 at 01:19 PM · 5 Llbs. Fully loaded 2 bows, shoulder rest, rosin, tuner, cleaning cloth, String-Tube, Hygrometer, 1 Giant Music Folder, and a Music Book. Yep! The Tonareli Half-moon is pretty light!

April 1, 2012 at 03:21 PM · 9.6 lbs fully with a case, violin, 4 bows, rosin, shoulder rest, ect. However, with my music bag the whole package comes in at..... 18.8 lbs! I thought we were talking case and everything in it weight only.

April 1, 2012 at 06:13 PM · 75 pounds + another 50 for stand and other rubbish that one needs as an army recruit under David Cameroon and his Fascist friends. (All pensions are to be cancelled unless you can run a marathon in less than an hour - that's 26 miles approx).

This is what the Tories do to save money. They are such nice ba**ards.

April 1, 2012 at 08:36 PM · Yikes! My case weighs in at a whopping 18 lbs. fully loaded 3 bows, access. and music. I have a traditional Bobelock wood case and it can get heavy. A violinist once offered to carry my case when I had broke my thumb and he almost fell over when he picked it up.

Hmmm...I wonder if this is the cause of my back issues? :-)

April 1, 2012 at 11:07 PM · The bag I usually carry my music in weighs 13.6 lbs. And that's not all my music, just what I usually carry.

SKYLAR!!!! OLD GEEZER??!!! I resemble that remark!!! :):)

April 2, 2012 at 11:04 AM · I have this Bridge violin case. Fully loaded is 6.6 lbs. Contains: violin, a bow, rosin, shoulder rest VLM Diamond.

PS: I need another violin case. That's not fiberglass. But my problem is the body of my violin has a length of 37cm , which is 14.6 inches. bigger than the average 35.5cm size. And not all violin cases fit my violin -__-

37cm = the body length including that part for the fingerboard, so 36cm body, with an extra 1cm of that part (I don't know what it is called, the part that is the beginning of the neck. If you know what i meant)

April 3, 2012 at 05:41 AM · 14lbs loaded (violin plus viola). I heave added a strap for the other shoulder.

April 3, 2012 at 01:47 PM · Maybe 4 lbs?

April 3, 2012 at 02:39 PM · -Michael

Is it empty or fully loaded? Cuz seriously, I'm all for lighter case and can't believe that anyone could have a lighter case than mine fully loaded with all the necessities

April 4, 2012 at 02:39 PM · My older case, rectangular, wood with one shoulder strap, weighs 2.47Kg, and my more recent Hidersine case with two carry straps is 2.65Kg.

The contents of each comprises a violin, two bows, a tuning fork, a cake of rosin, a set of spare strings, a pair of tweezers (to help with installing strings), and a dusting cloth.

I normally carry sheet music in a separate shoulder bag, and folk music in my head.

April 6, 2012 at 02:58 PM · Are girl's cases as full of junk as their shoulder bags? I wouldn't know I never was one!

April 6, 2012 at 03:29 PM · @Adrian:

my case contains:

- one violin bow

- rosin

- violin

well, that's it.

3 kg = 6.6 lbs. the case makes it heavy.

shoulder bag contains (if I have to attend course):

- bonmusica

- current sheet music (no I don't bring practicing books like etudes. I practice etudes at home)

- wallet

- cigarettes *lol*

- nivea

April 7, 2012 at 08:32 AM · Sorry!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe