My violin is a pervert~~~~

March 31, 2012 at 06:26 AM · Ok, so I've recently decided to experiment playing without shoulder rest. Pretty good so far, the only thing thats really change is my vibrato, which I have to use wrist now. Which is fine, since I can do both arm and wrist.

Yah dah, yah dah. Onward to the real problemo

I CAN'T GO SHOULDER REST FREE UNLESS MY VIOLIN IS HITTING BARE SKIN!!!!

No matter what type of cloth I use underneath, it would still slip :( So unless I go smexy and slip one of my arm out the shirt arm wearing and remove one bra strap(slightly annoying cause my practice have guys in it(excluding the cuts one;))

Anyway, does anyone have the same problem? Not that I'm dying when I use a shoulder rest, but when I do and it get a strong/ fast vibrato part it will shake like a 9.0 earthquake.

Thanks in advanced :D

Replies (21)

March 31, 2012 at 09:12 AM · Does your violin have a very glossy varnish ?

Which fabric types have you tried ? Obviously, a rough cotton or linen is going to be better than silk or nylon.

You could try a centre mounted chinrest to get the violin more balanced on your collar bone or simply try putting your chin over the tailpiece to see if this helps at all.

March 31, 2012 at 09:23 AM · I always find it best to remove my bra entirely as it give me more freedom and it lets the music hang out better ...

March 31, 2012 at 09:36 AM · Peter, I don't think Skylar was trying to "get things off her chest", even by using a bigger vibrato...

March 31, 2012 at 10:13 AM · How about a piece of chamois leather? This is that really soft kind that used to be used for scratch-less cleaning jobs. Basically its a clothes top skin!

March 31, 2012 at 11:24 AM · as I was playing shoulder rest less I always was jalous about women who have shoulder free dresses.

Try once to play like that in a suit with an bow-tie.

March 31, 2012 at 12:04 PM · You're not necessarily doing anything wrong - Anne Sophie Mutter generally performs in sleeveless dresses for this reason.

March 31, 2012 at 12:41 PM · What Owain and Elise said. I use a piece of suede.

March 31, 2012 at 01:11 PM · Little Sostenuto leather rest is pretty much the same as "restless" and you won't slip...make sure you get the soft version

http://www.sharmusic.com/Shop-Shar/April-Inventory-Sales-Event/Accessories/Sostenuto-Violin-Shoulder-Rest.axd

March 31, 2012 at 03:27 PM · Yup, definitely a glossy/ shiny varnish. It is a beginner Eastman after all.

Any suggestion that's doesn't cost money. A 14 years old don't have a lot of extra mooola lying around to spare

March 31, 2012 at 04:31 PM · @OP - pics or it didn't happen

March 31, 2012 at 04:49 PM · Make a leather patch to 'stick' on top of your clothing at the shoulder/collar bone where the violin makes contact. You can use velcro to make sure the patch sticks to your clothing or use double sided tape until you work out something more permanent.

April 1, 2012 at 10:38 PM · It doesn't hurt at all when I balance it with my jaw and collar bone only.

I support the violin almost a perfect horizontal, with my collar and shoulder blade, the main reason why I can't use arm vibrato. It usually get red after about 10 minutes of continuous playing. No pain, nada.

Anyway, where can buy those leather patch or chamoise leather and how much does it cost??

Thanks alot for your helpful comment :D

April 1, 2012 at 11:26 PM · Just look on the web - but be careful, there are a lot of immitation chamois out there (for good reason as its rather expensive). Of course, its quite possible the imitation one would work too...

Here is one source that seems to be legit - and not unreasonably priced:

http://www.chamois.co.nz/products/chamois-leather

April 1, 2012 at 11:35 PM · *COUGH* anything less than $20?

Also, you guy know those orange wiping thing that they sell for a dollar at One dollar store? Do those work?

One last thing, where to buy seperate leather patch now......

Geesh, shoulder rest is really..RESTless

April 2, 2012 at 12:23 AM · Skylar -- check the automotive department of your local Target, Walmart, etc. You should be able to find chamois leather there (it's used for washing cars). MAKE SURE IT SAYS GENUINE CHAMOIS -- NOT IMITATION. The last time I bought some you could get a piece larger than you'll need to "anchor" your violin for around $7.00, give or take a little. There were larger pieces for $12-13.00. Chamois is thin leather -- you'll be able to cut it to the size you want with regular scissors. Look for the thickest piece you can find -- that's more important than the surface measurement. Thinner pieces sometimes don't have as much "grab" to them.

April 2, 2012 at 02:49 AM · I have tried things like the dotty liners people use for drawers...they work fine to provide the friction, but the way they discolored the metal parts of my chin rest makes me VERY uneasy about what they might do to my varnish, so I abandoned them to the silver drawer.

You want to find something as un-chemically-treated as possible.

April 6, 2012 at 03:35 AM · I am amused by this thread. I got rid of my shoulder rest years and years ago and have never experienced the slipping problem, regardless of what I was wearing. In hot weather I have practiced bare-chested at home, but that doesn´t fit in well with concert garb. You´re right, bare skin does have good grip on the fiddle!!

Kidding aside, the chamois recommendation is a good one.

April 6, 2012 at 10:44 AM · Joe wrote:

"Pics or it didn't happen."

Yikes Joe, she's only 14. Even imagining it might be illegal. LOL

April 6, 2012 at 07:05 PM · Good thing my eye skid right over Joe thread, or else....

Anywhoo- thanks to those with ACTUAL helpful suggestion(finger on Joe and Peter here)Gonna go and try to find those chamois leather soon

April 8, 2012 at 02:53 AM · :S

:DDDD

April 9, 2012 at 02:25 AM · Suede has worked very well for me...

if you can't find what you need at wallyworld you could try Tandy Leather. If I remember properly there's one near Bloomington. Check out the scrap bin, should be very inexpensive.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe