Portland Oregon v.com get-together II

February 22, 2012 at 02:16 AM · The first Portland v.com get-together last July was a resounding success! People have been craving for more, so let's meet again in March!

When

Sunday, March 11, 2012 1:30 PM -

Saturday, March 10, 2012 1:30 PM - ?

Where

Terry & Vicki Hsu's lovely home

What

1) Meet other v.commers.

2) Talk about our favorite violin subjects (or anything).

3) Show us your instrument collection (or anything cool).

4) Make music with fellow v.commers.

5) Eat, drink and have a good time!

It does not matter whether you are a regular poster or a lurker, a professional, advanced amateur or newbie, a classical violinist or fiddler, a shoulder-rest user or (OK, let's not go there! ;) ) -- all are welcome! :)

To RSVP, please post here or send me a private message (I'll send you directions and instruction to Terry's house via email). If you are coming, please consider bringing finger food and/or beverages to share with the group. Hope to see you there!

(Many thanks to Terry and Vicki for opening their home to us again!)

Replies (21)

February 22, 2012 at 03:12 PM · Boo Hoo! I'll miss it again!

Trying to Smile! Diane

February 22, 2012 at 05:03 PM · I am in. See you guys there.

February 22, 2012 at 09:21 PM · Diane, sorry you cannot make it. Hope to see you next time! :)

A couple things we can also do at the meeting:

String test - since it takes a long time and is expensive to try all the strings on the market by ourselves, it would be interesting if we can all bring the strings we currently have (used and new) and try them on one anothers' violins. Who knows? We might be able to repeat the magic that occurred to Terry's violin last time for a couple other violins this time.

Setup test - some of us have a collection of shoulder rests and chin rests. If we can bring them to be tried out by anyone who is interested, it might help the setup-challenged among us (I'm one of them) to find the perfect setup.

Also, Albert said he is going to invite a couple violin makers. Terry/Albert, could you invite Ken Altman and Caitlin Pugh as well?

February 22, 2012 at 10:17 PM · I'd love to go, but I have a concert with the Portland Youth Philharmonic that day and rehearsal with the Metropolitan Youth Symphony! MYS ends at 1:30 so if I cut out I might be able to make it, but until I know my PYP call time I can make no promises. I'll let you know as I figure it out (and I was very upset to not be able to do it last time!)

February 23, 2012 at 12:38 AM · I have invited both.

February 23, 2012 at 07:44 PM · This sounds awesome, but I will have a newborn on my hands then, so I will be missing it this time.

February 23, 2012 at 07:48 PM · Jonathan, it's okay if you come a little bit late. If you dropped by at 3:00 I'm sure we'll still be going! Terry

February 25, 2012 at 01:43 AM · I’ve been looking forward to showing Albert in particular the changes in my old fiddle since Randy DeBey did a complete overhaul. I almost said no for March 10, though, because I have a gig, fiddling/calling a square dance in Dallas at 6:30, and three hours of driving (up plus back) before a dance doesn’t work. However my lovely wife Suzi said she would drive, if that is all right. She doesn’t play much, but she has a great ear and and is lovely company. Is that okay? If so, I hope to see you all then: and hope Ken can make it too. Randy would be an interesting person to invite. A superb craftsman, and he knows the tension of every string.

February 25, 2012 at 01:49 AM · Truman, your wife is more than welcome to come. I hope to see you both there! But did you also see that we're having it on March 10th? Terry

February 25, 2012 at 04:59 AM · Yes, March 10 (corrected)

February 25, 2012 at 06:19 PM · So far I have not heard back from too many people. I am wondering if we change the meeting date to Sunday March 11, would more people be able to attend? Please post here or send me a private message to let me know. Thanks!

February 29, 2012 at 06:00 AM · It looks like more people are available on Sunday March 11, so the get-together has been moved to that date. The start time remains the same at 1:30 PM.

If you would like to attend, but have not RSVP'ed, or received the directions to Terry's house, please let me know by posting here or sending me a private message. Thanks!

February 29, 2012 at 11:18 PM · Thank you everyone it was a best time spend with lovely violin lovers. I enjoyed you all.

I'm sorry.

Please forgive me.

Thank you.

I love you.

March 3, 2012 at 08:48 PM · It looks like we will have a good turnout! :)

Sorry that some of you cannot make it this time. I hope to see you next time!

If you would like to attend, but have not RSVP'ed, please post here or send me a private message. I look forward to seeing everyone there! :)

March 3, 2012 at 09:36 PM · Have a great time, I wish I could be there! Would someone take pictures and write a blog about it? :)

March 8, 2012 at 03:45 PM · All systems are a go - I'll be comin' round the mountain(s) to meet y'all! Maybe next time I'll host here in Bend!

Smiles! Diane

March 9, 2012 at 10:06 PM · I'll be there. See you Sunday.

March 10, 2012 at 06:48 AM · Just a friendly reminder that the meet-up is 1:30 PM this Sunday (3/11) at Terry & Vicki Hsu's house.

If you are attending, you are encouraged to bring your instrument(s) if you would like to play, show us your collection, or demonstrate something. If you can bring refreshment to share with the group, it would be appreciated! Also, Sunday is the first day of the Daylight Saving Time, so please remember to change your clocks, otherwise you will miss part of the fun. :)

If you are interested in attending but have not RSVP'ed, please let me know so I can send you instructions to Terry's house.

I look forward to seeing everyone there!

March 12, 2012 at 05:16 AM · Couldn't have spent a nicer day with a nicer group of people........

The drive home over the mountains was drop dead gorgeous! Ready now for some zzz's...

Smiles! Diane

March 13, 2012 at 01:42 AM · Thanks everyone who attended the get-together yesterday: Terry, Vicki, Adelina, Tsai, Pat, Chris, Diane, Jonathan, Truman, Suzi, Albert, Sara, Natalie, Ken, Peter, Eric/Rico, Ray, Alex, Liliya, and Eric. (Hope I did not forget anyone!)

I hope everyone had a great time! I certainly did.

Thanks Diane for coming all the way from Bend (3+ hours of driving one-way) and showing us your fingerboard workbooks!

Thanks Ken for not only making great bows but also those yummy chocolate dipped coconut macaroons that I could not stop eating! :)

Thanks Eric/Rico for showing us your beautiful fittings, and telling great stories.

Thanks Natalie for your lovely performances - we have a wonderful violinist in the making!

Thanks Peter for letting us try your newest creation, and good luck at the Omaha competition!

Thanks Truman for entertaining us with your fiddling and singing.

Thanks Jonathan, Terry, and Albert for the fine playing.

Thanks Terry and Albert for playing the Bach Double with me.

Thanks Alex for bring your lovely family and showing us your string collection.

Thanks Chris for the Hors d'oeuvre, and Pat - I will bring your music stand next week!

Thanks everyone for the good company, conversation, food, camaraderie, and letting us try your instruments!

Special thanks to Terry and Vicki for your hospitality again!

I hope we will meet again in the summer!

March 13, 2012 at 04:38 AM · I hope so, too. I wanted to be there... :^(

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe