Shoulder rest bag

February 19, 2012 at 04:01 AM · I have always put my shoulder rests in my case, but recently I have been using a double case, and there is not much space at all for a shoulder rest. Does anyone carry their rest in a separate bag outside of the case, and if so what do you use?

Replies (22)

February 19, 2012 at 01:59 PM · In my case, it fits under the neck of the violin.

February 19, 2012 at 03:41 PM · Mine fits in my case, I guess if you have a double case, you might have to buy a bag for it.

February 19, 2012 at 06:16 PM · I have a Bobelock case for a 5-strong violin, and the violin is a snug fit. No room for a shoulder rest, so it goes in the packback, along with printed music, etc.

February 19, 2012 at 08:22 PM · packback?

February 19, 2012 at 09:09 PM · "packback?" ...sorry I meant back-pack :)

February 19, 2012 at 11:14 PM · How about a garbage bag? :)

February 19, 2012 at 11:20 PM · So has anyone used one of the clip on bags like the ones from ProTec? Let's not turn this into a "should you use a shoulder rest" discussion.

February 19, 2012 at 11:41 PM · "So has anyone used one of the clip on bags like the ones from ProTec? Let's not turn this into a 'should you use a shoulder rest" discussion.' "

Why break the habit of a lifetime? Anyway, Nate had his neck removed many years ago, and although he is an excellent violinist, a shoulder rest simply is of no use to him any more :)

The clip-on ProTec bags are good, but as I need to carry other stuff as well, I just use a small back-pack.

February 20, 2012 at 04:04 AM · Once I get the new bag, I think I might buy this, that way I can hold both shoulder rests. I'll just carabiner it to the straps.

February 20, 2012 at 06:31 AM · Both of my violin cases have a separate section at one end for the choulder rest

February 20, 2012 at 07:37 AM · I'm not using a shoulder rest anymore, but when I was still giving it a try I made a small, quilted drawstring bag for it. I sewed a couple of small loops of fabric into one of the side seams, and then used small carabiners (sorry -- the word's not in my dictionary, so I can't check the spelling) to clip it to the case's side handle.

February 20, 2012 at 01:37 PM · When I had my 4-string, the Wolf Forte Primo fitted snugly beside the violin neck, in a standard-shape case.

February 20, 2012 at 01:48 PM · I liked the idea of a drawstring bag, but I work at a camp during the summer, and if it it a little rain-y I don't want them to get wet. I just got a random bag that is 10"x5"x5" made out of black cordura. It might be a little too big, but I figure I can store extra thing when I need it (dozen clothespins, peg dope, tons of pencils) like at the camp. I'll have to check it out when it comes in. The Knilling bags are 10x4x2, and I'll be storing two Wolf rests in there.

also, "Carabiner" is the correct spelling.

February 20, 2012 at 04:11 PM · I, too, have a double case, no room for anything except a very small rosin. Bought a 'cushy' cover; it solved the problems of rests, music, glasses--all safe--and much more weather-and-bang proof than before. I found that packs, pockets, etc. are too hard on equipment.

February 20, 2012 at 04:42 PM · Is there a cushy case for a double case!?

February 20, 2012 at 05:59 PM · The only Cushy case covers I've found listed are for shaped violin cases, oblong violin cases and oblong viola cases. Don't recall any mention of one for double cases. I bought the oblong viola cover to accommodate my half-moon violin case. It was the only model wide enough for that case. Thanks for the verification on "carabiner" -- I've gotta get a better dictionary!! :)

February 21, 2012 at 01:49 AM · @marjory

Is the double case cover from Cushy? where did you get it?

February 22, 2012 at 02:30 PM · @Nate -- nice one.

A shoulder rest might fit nicely inside a pencil case which would be cool, then you could have your very own Hello Kitty or Strawberry Shortcake shoulder rest case.

February 22, 2012 at 03:07 PM · Oh.. I could have a spongebob one!!! good thinking!

I just tried the ProTec shoulder rest case, and I can fit both my Wolf Violin, and Viola rest in it. I think I will still keep the bigger one I ordered for working at camps.

February 22, 2012 at 06:56 PM · I think Bobelock makes one.

February 24, 2012 at 01:32 AM · That's why I'm not using shoulder rest anymore - can't fit into a case!! BTW I used the Mach1 shoulder rest for more than 2 years.

January 13, 2015 at 09:05 PM · Sorry for resurrecting and hijacking this old discussion. I just misread Ben's last post as "Mariachi" where he wrote Mach1 and I'm still laughing at myself.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe