The dream violin performance summer study program....

January 27, 2012 at 11:34 PM · .... and you had to pick your own program to work on. How would you set it up and what would focus on and set as goals?

[Hehe, true story. Apparently, the virtuoso lesson was just a beginning. And I need some ideas...]

Replies (21)

January 27, 2012 at 11:53 PM · WOW!!!! Enjoy! :) :) :)

January 28, 2012 at 12:01 AM · Were it I, i'd focus on the aspects of technique that have been bugging me for years. Posture or vibrato alone could fill up two weeks. Start with the basics. Coaching time every day, time to work on it every day maybe before and afteer the coaching; as you go, the foundations should solidify within a few days so you start applying it and see where the journey takes you-probably a bazillion possible branches along the way of interactions with repertoire or other techniques, and in each of those an opportunity to refine the main technique. Save time not only for technical practice, and applying it into repertoire, but for concerts, recordings, reading and research, sightreading and duet playing with your mentor, conversation, and just enjoying the life of the area. Don't bring distractions, but bring your whole self! Although I'm guessing that doesn't even need said!

January 28, 2012 at 01:26 AM · Kathryn, you sum up how I feel so well :D I want to do everything of course but mainly I want it to focus on basic technique and not on trying to get a piece to perfection or just exposure to repertoire.

The question is how to achieve that best? I think I need a piece, a composer or a genere to centre on. I wonder if Buri will comment, I bet he has some good ideas as to how to approach this....

January 28, 2012 at 01:26 AM · That's so wonderful Elise. To start with, work on everything he told you to in your first lesson.

Then work on your scales, arpeggios and double stops. Work on some Kreutzer, work on a few pieces - showpieces and sonatas, work on some Bach. Maybe a concerto. Play beforehand for some friends. Record yourself. Find some performance opportunities around the area.

I'm thrilled for you and can't wait to hear all about it. Or just ignore everything me and everyone else here is saying and just do what he says. :)

January 28, 2012 at 01:28 AM · Elise, I think you want to make sure you work on repertoire and not just technique. The point of technique is to play music, not the other way around. Terry

January 28, 2012 at 02:07 AM · Terry: 'he'? Oh, this is NOT the virtuoso - this is in Europe (I'm in Canada) ;)

But you are right I need a rep to centre on. Should I start something new or use something that is partially worked up so that I can get into performance rather than practise, as it were.

January 28, 2012 at 02:42 AM · You're going to have to tell us your secret to finding all of these really good teachers!

I think it's the same no matter what you do or who you play for. Scales, etudes, pieces. A range of repertoire. Include mostly pieces within your technique. But have a piece or two that stretches your technique and have some etudes that help stretch you into that direction.

Since you're going to be playing for your "Canadian virtuoso" perhaps you can ask him what you should play for your "European virtuoso." I think next you need an american virtuoso to round off the whole set. :) (just kidding)

It sounds wonderful, have fun!!

January 28, 2012 at 04:20 AM · The secret Terry? I actually worked very hard at it. You can't imagine how many camps, schools, festivals, chamber groups, retreats, courses, etc I reviewed before finding the two possibles. I even considered starting a new on (see the other topic) but my job simply won't let me make that effort.

This year is also a Big Birthday so I want to achieve a few dreams. However, I had not dare imagine this particular one - the other was what I had imagined, this one is way beyond.

January 28, 2012 at 07:01 AM · Elise,

I'm not that surprised - anyone who is that tenacious and thirsty for knowledge will find it. There just aren't that many people who are willing to put in the effort. I am really so happy for you, I really mean that.

Terry

January 28, 2012 at 12:03 PM · Thanks Terry xx

I'm thinking of working on something that is challenging - but that I did some time ago but never really finished - the Mozart III. I tried to learn it about 2 yrs ago when it was beyond my playing abilities but I went through it last night (at least the first two movements) and I think I could get it to a student performance level in 2 weeks intensive work. I've also worked on the (M) Hunt quartet and a couple of the sonatas which would serve as genre contrasts.

I think that strategy will make the lessons focus on the full range of basic through performance skills. Now to find out if my host likes Mozart!!

January 30, 2012 at 02:38 PM · Seems like rather than choose a composr or genre, one should choose a range of repertoire. Is there a reason that you want to just play Mozart?

January 30, 2012 at 02:45 PM · Just safe! I heard back from them with a list of repertoire - leaning rather towards what I listed and see as my main weakness (amongst many of course), playing at speed. The Mozart was accepted as a good idea but added to that we now have:

Mozart III

Bach Aminor

Bach Emajor

Spohr 2

Concerto No.2. Ballade and Polonaise, Vieuxtemps

Schubert L' Abeille

and studies:

Dancla – Op 73, 20 Etudes brillantes

Kreutzer Studies

Paganini Moto Perpetuo

Novachek Moto Perpetuo

OK, so I think we are approaching 2 weeks worth!!

Anyone out there played the Spohr 2? I looked at it and it seems two steps up from the Haydn G (current performance piece) and at least one from Mozart IV (my current study piece).

January 30, 2012 at 03:01 PM · "This year is also a Big Birthday"

So, which is it?

18th or 21st?

xxx

January 30, 2012 at 04:23 PM · Peter:

definitely.

:D

January 30, 2012 at 05:29 PM · hi Elise, I hope at least those who actively tried to help you find a summer course in the other topic are entitled eventually to know where you will be going ;-)

January 30, 2012 at 05:33 PM · jean - absolutely, definitely deserved. I just want to get it finalized mentally and financially before possibly jinxing myself!!

BTW I have not given up on creating something on this side of the puddle - this should give me invaluable experience as to what works. One issue is whether you really can achieve the same thing by staying home and taking a lesson each day with your regular coach! Well violin wise anyway - it might be hard to reproduce an authenic mediteranean villa in Toronto... :)

January 30, 2012 at 05:35 PM · I will add, however, that its not something that came up in that topic.

January 30, 2012 at 10:12 PM · I'd say you've easily got a full 2 weeks worth of material!

January 30, 2012 at 11:07 PM · Perhaps 3 months worth! Have you ever tried the Spohr 2 T?

January 31, 2012 at 02:37 AM · Never played any Spohr. When you refer to Spohr 2T, is it the concerto? Or something else?

January 31, 2012 at 02:42 AM · Spohr 2nd, T(erry)? ... lazy writer...

On paper it looks harder than HaydnC but probably easier than Bruch G... But I'd love to hear from someone that has played it. I searched for it on V.com - Buri mentioned it as a good training piece but thats all.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe