Violin is too 'girly' for me?

December 28, 2011 at 02:52 PM · So after just recently buying my first violin, and posting a picture of her on facebook for all my friends to see because im so proud.....a friend of mine commented on it and said that playing violin seemed girly for me! Well this got me pretty upset! Sure i listen to a lot of metal music, mainly Thrash metal, a lot of Blues music, but i also listen to orchestral music and Irish folk music, classical music and so on....I was about ready to have a verbal fight on my hands. I let it go though and explained it to him in a pretty stern manner that in no way is the violin girly, that music is just what i chose to listen to and only effect it has on me is what concert tickets i buy, and he can chose to support me in this part of my life, and be an actual friend, or he can keep his useless comments to himself and not talk to me about this again.

Does it really matter what type of music people listen to? Has anyone else had a similar thing happen to them?

Replies (84)

December 28, 2011 at 03:05 PM · Not to me...

I've never thought of the violin as 'girly'.

Now the flute? Maybe...but even there...I know several men who play it as well... ;)

Do you care what he thinks? He's entitled to his opinion but I don't think it's a well-formed one...

December 28, 2011 at 03:12 PM · That's why I am very glad that a David Garrett appeared on the scene. So the kids see playing a violin is as cool as picking a guitar.

And those who find him and the violin cool will sooner or later find out there's a lot of real good music beyond cool outfit and Pirates of the Caribbean, so I can live with the latter.

Your friend made a stupid remark. But don't take offense, show such people what great job it is to play violin and how much fame can come out of it (give him some examples).

December 28, 2011 at 04:07 PM · It hasn't happened to me. If your friend played the instrument himself, he would know that playing violin well requires a lot of stamina and, at times, some aggressiveness. I recall, too, a recent thread in which one of the ladies referred to herself as "a lonely little fiddler in a testosterone patch."

Check out The Weekend Vote for 10-21-2011: Has anyone ever made fun of you for playing the violin?

December 28, 2011 at 05:49 PM · and whats wrong with being "girly", for a boy? i liked pink as a boy, and i prefered dolls over trucks. well, i did like giving my sister's doll's hair a cut.

maybe one has to pay the drum with one's head to identify as a boy? or just record yourself playing a manic paganini caprice then immediately afterwards destroy it in a masculine outburst of destructive passion...i bet your friend will call you cool then. callyoucool.

December 28, 2011 at 05:52 PM · "a friend of mine commented on it and said that playing violin seemed girly for me!"

Maybe its that short skirt and lipstick that puts him off!! (wink)

December 28, 2011 at 05:58 PM · A possible response:

Yeah, when I was a bit more insecure and less sure of myself, I would worry about things like that.

Another one:

I may have thought so too, but now that I try the violin, I don't find that at all. In fact, I think a lot of guys say that because they are too intimidated to try such a challenging instrument.

December 28, 2011 at 06:19 PM · Loving pink and playing with dolls is ok. But it's not exactly every boy's cup of tea. Maybe you missed the point...

December 28, 2011 at 06:30 PM · Oh yeah, that happens all the time. Even if people don't say it, they think it. I think one just has to live with it and manage it. I don't tell everyone I play the violin. Anyone who is a musician won't likely say such a thing though, and it should be those people whose opinions on the violin matter most.

You could just say, "Oh man, you have no idea. This is the toughest thing I've ever done." You could also show someone a few youtube links if you want to educate them.

December 28, 2011 at 06:56 PM · Show him the Duelling Fiddlers Sweet Child O' Mine link and ask him if he's reconsidered.

December 28, 2011 at 07:17 PM · Tell your friend to get some historical perspective. Before 1850, 90% - or more - of violinists were men. For many many years, the violin was as masculine a pursuit as any.

We've entered a period of time where the violin - and classical music in general - seems to be perceived as feminine, or "girly." Not sure why this is (although I do have some vague ideas). Why do classical music fans so often have the reputation of being "sissies" compared to, say, rock or pop fans? Is it because we require a lot more study to gain basic proficiency in our genre, and in the minds of a lot of people, study equals dorkery equals bookish equals sissy? Who knows. It's entirely possible the pendulum will swing again in our lifetimes.

For a laugh, have your friend check out this article on the sexuality of musical instruments from 1921. As you can tell from the article, people have said some crazy things about men and women's respective roles in music over the years. The moral of the story is that you should just like what you like, and politely roll your eyes at anyone who's insensitive and rude enough to disparage your taste. Take it from someone who has spent A LOT of time reading and thinking about gender and music...the violin is not girly, and it is not boy-y; it is an androgynous creature, as fit for men as it is for women.

December 28, 2011 at 08:04 PM · Congratulations on your new violin! I'm also starting out - been playing for 6 months and just bought a Yamaha electric because it will ride well in my saddle bags. (I ride a Victory Cross Country) I'm 6ft, 200lbs with a shaved head and beard - pretty much the whole biker thing. Funny that no one has commented to me on looking girly when I play! Maybe your friend is just a bit insecure about his own masculinity! Never be afraid to follow your own course.

December 28, 2011 at 08:40 PM · If someone said that sort of thing to me, I would reply with just two words. The first would begin with F and the second with O.

I hope I don't need to spell it out!!

December 28, 2011 at 10:17 PM · Peter; You definitely don't need to spell it out....and i did tell him that. Honestly, i dont care what anyone has to say about my playing violin, because besides him, i have a lot of support from people...and i have cousins who will be giving me some of their old things they dont use anymore, and a few friends who are willing to help me learn.

Like i said though, i honestly don't care what negative people have to say about my choices, and it is my choice to take up violin and play it until i can't anymore...and that is bound to be a long time from now since im 20 years old

December 28, 2011 at 10:29 PM · I could show them the target I have hanging in my music room. And point out that I have sired my kids -- all of whom could beat up whoever said playing the violin is girly. :-)

December 28, 2011 at 10:30 PM · The violin? Too girly? Try playing Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto all the way through to perfection. It's anything but girly! Some of the best violinist in the world are men. Macho men. I knew a guy who was this big football player. Linebacker and all. He used to come to concerts dressed in his football uniform because he would have to dash right off to a game after the concert. I know this because he was my stand partner. He played the violin beautifully, but trust me, there was NOTHING girly about him. Don't let it get you down. They're all jealous.

Jessica

December 28, 2011 at 11:12 PM · What will they say when you stand there with a nice Girl in one and the violin in the other hand?

it's not about the violin, it's about the image. Violin has a conservative image, the one who playes well is usually the "good boy". Thats an pretty close image to being girly. All good violinists have been good boys once ;)

And: I don't want to say that having a special interest like musik is less "girly" than your friend possibly thinks, but its definetily bad to be something unusual and special. At least as long as you really like it

December 28, 2011 at 11:28 PM · @Mike Don't feel uncomfortable by liking and playing violin if you do, it will only hinder your progress!

December 29, 2011 at 12:01 AM · Let's face it, not every guy is man enough to play the violin!

I've been immersed in violins all of my adult life, and then some, and will not only offer to hoist that guy against the wall by his shirt collar, but ride my girlfriend's bad-ass Harley there to do it. LOL

Did I tell you about the time I rode a 50cc Honda scooter to a big Harley rally, just for laughs?

Now send that poor insecure fellow some late-night TV enlargement pills, have a chuckle, and get back to enjoying the violin. ;-)

December 29, 2011 at 12:03 AM · I believe this should answer all your questions.

Unleash your manliness

You must be secure in your manliness. The key is to maintain your cool and let people make fools of themselves without your help. Once your actions show that you are serious about something, people usually leave you be.

And not to disparage metal, but a lot of metal is posers putting on chains and leather, trying to pretend they're cool (I used to listen to metal).

Although Tammuz makes the ultimate point. There is no sense in doing things because of or despite their apparent manliness. We should do what we love because we love it, and that needs no further explanation.

December 29, 2011 at 12:40 AM · Hi Mike,

There are definitely more girls playing the violin than guys. In my orchestra, there are 13 girls and 3 guys strings players.

With that said, playing the violin is definitely sexy once you are past the "high school and guitar is cool" age. Since you are 20, this is perfect!

@Emily,

Nice article!

I tend to see more girls playing cello than guys. Cello feels more feminine to me due to the playing position...

December 29, 2011 at 03:30 AM · Yikes!

I take offence!

Why don't you just say "gee, thanks for admiring the soft, subtle, gentle, beautiful side of me..."

December 29, 2011 at 05:07 AM · hi Tobias,

i didn't miss the point - however, there's another underlying point thats more fundamental...that being too "girly" for a boy is wrong. sometimes you have to u-turn to get to your destination. all the best

December 29, 2011 at 09:04 AM · Word on street you ain't gonner git dat whole big hairy chest 'less yo' startin' off wid hunt'n, shoot'n, fish'n, 'n git yo'self a blade for respec', man.

If dem bruvvers give yo' grief, keep yo' violin a secret, yeh ?

December 29, 2011 at 10:21 AM · Mike

a) Tell your friend you don't need some ***hole undermining your new enthusiasm! (Well OK, he's probably just teasing, but put him in his place).

b) Just remind yourself that you're learning the most versatile and expressive instrument of all. Sure, it rules the classical world. But there are also people doing amazing stuff with pop, rock, metal, hip-hop, blues, jazz, country, bluegrass, old-time, celtic, klezmer, gypsy... Spend a few years picking up the basics and there's a whole world of music open to you.

c) Yes, if you play the violin you're going to meet a lot of creative and interesting young women. And this is a bad thing?

December 29, 2011 at 01:47 PM · Mike, yes - most violinists nowadays seem to be female. In the amateur orchestra I currently play with, until recently I was the only male in the 1st violin section. I can assure you that isn't a problem! Now - if only I could get rid of those other younger fellows.

December 29, 2011 at 04:55 PM · Simon: do remember that Every Good Boy Does Fine!

Mike, it sounds like you handled this guy well. He's an immature jerk, at least on some level, and may benefit from having that pointed out to him. There was a thread on here a year or so ago about this same topic with younger kids. I wish I knew why people like to disparage others for taking anything seriously besides kicking, throwing, or hitting spheroid objects around.

December 29, 2011 at 05:09 PM · or each other

December 29, 2011 at 05:16 PM · Some other possible responses to your "friend"

I could've taken up extreme beer drinking but I meet more chicks this way.

If you mean I can't belch as loud as you can in public then you're right.

I thought violin playing would last me longer than knife throwing.

December 29, 2011 at 05:53 PM · OK, to get (sort of) serious for a few milliseconds...

The comment made to the OP strikes me as a classic example of how people can think that what they see from their limited viewpoint is all that exists. It's the canonization of ignorance.

Gee whiz! A century ago, violin virtuosi were the equivalent of rock stars. Women swooned over them and were susceptible to their charms. What's girly about that?

I used to act with a triple-threat, who told me that he studied dancing, because that's where all the chicks were. It worked for him!

December 29, 2011 at 07:42 PM · Malcolm, the men in my 25-strong chamber orchestra number on a fairly regular basis: 2 in the firsts, 2 in the seconds, 1 in the violas, 1 in the cellos, and 1 (or 2) in the double basses.

December 29, 2011 at 07:55 PM · The violin is not a girly instrument. That kind of thinking needs to be squelched before we devolve.

December 29, 2011 at 09:17 PM · your friend said violin is too girly because holding women's purse is manly for him ;-)

December 30, 2011 at 12:04 AM · Check your "manly" male friend's own purse for makeup, a stuffed bra, lacy panties in a size appropriate for him, and, uh, sanitary napkins of the insertable variety. :-)

Real men won't have an issue, even if you want to crochet.

December 30, 2011 at 12:46 AM · Question...why is it such an awful thing for a guy to have a girly hobby? Would a girl who's told her instrument is "one that only boys play" be as offended? It seems less acceptable for a boy to have "feminine" hobbies than for a girl to have "masculine" ones.

Not accusing anyone here of anything; just an idle question I have. And I still maintain the violin is sexless.

December 30, 2011 at 01:38 AM · Emily, a violin is far from sexless. ;-) We just don't have enough information yet to assign which sex. Or maybe it varies by the player and the audience?

December 30, 2011 at 03:04 AM · If your buddy only knew that up until recently, women were...shall we say, verboten in the Vienna Philharmonic. It's actually quite sad.

I think it would be better in the future not to be goaded into an angry response, but there's nothing you can do about that now.

And yes, if you're looking to make introductions, chicks looooove talent. :) There's a quote attributed to Paganini: "I am not handsome [ed.: and by most reports, that's not modesty], but when women hear me play they come crawling to my feet."

December 30, 2011 at 04:00 AM · Musical talent is attractive. Nothing girly about that. :)

December 30, 2011 at 06:50 AM · " You play the violin like a woman"

The biggest compliment paid to me...and SHE should know!

December 30, 2011 at 07:09 AM · Well, when I first pulled out my viola after 20 years, I was still in the Navy as an engineering officer on a warship. My favorite practice spot was standing on top of the (running) engine box of one of my gas turbine engines (so no one could hear me squeaking). None of my guys thought that was at all girly and I'm a lady!

December 30, 2011 at 07:17 AM · Having grown up in the sixties and seventies, I find it disheartening that this is still an issue. My son wants to wear a skirt to school one day not because he wants to wear dresses but as a protest. He has been very upset that UIL (University Interscholastic League) does not allow boy’s volley ball.

Robert Gerle recounts in his book “Playing it by Heart” the following: ‘Soon afterward, Prude tried to explain the lack of concert dates with the excuse that it was difficult to sell me in Texas because my name sounded too much like “girly”.’ The only other reference to Texas I remember was less flattering. I am a fourth generation Texan.

I sort of agree with David Burgess “Real men won't have an issue, even if you want to crochet.”

Sorry to say I still think of my mother with crochet. I got teased too much when I did it in fifth grade. I stay away from knitting also, after that first row the tension is such that I can never get the stitches off the needle. Just too manly I guess.

David Beck you sound like one of my uncles “fish'n, 'n git yo'self a blade for respec', man” I love fishing I just don’t like it when the fish bother me.

Though it has been years since I have thrown a knife (or tomahawk) I still carry one, no make that two. No one touches my whittler (ok there have been exceptions). One of my SUKs (Sport Utility Knives) was given to me by my sister-in-law. She carries an assisted opening knife. She probably has more use for a knife on the farm than I do in town.

You see even though I carry a knife I mainly carry scissors. Though it has been years since I embroidered or tatted I am still learning how to make bobbin lace.

Pat having fun, Making Bedfordshire Lace.

Ignore those needing to assert gender bias. And though I generally do not quote Crowley he was probably correct on one thing “Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law”. Or maybe Campbell would be better “Follow your bliss”.

TTFN

Pat T.

AKA Tatted Thread Bear

AKA Pat the Tat Rat

Pat the Tat Rat tats late at night

Knot here, knot there, knot anywhere.

December 30, 2011 at 07:44 AM · David (Burgess) is right - although he ears pistachio tank tops :0)

people who make stuff up like that tend to have "issues" - no, its not wrong for a guy to wear makeup - its wrong to pejoratively call another guy effeminate (and doubly so to have a skeleton in his closet or purse). the best straight guys i've known tend to have zero hang ups about silly gendered assumptions. actually, its funny...sometimes, things appear this way then they change. sometimes, all it takes to show the true face of people is to see whether they are able to befriend someone who is not like them or who challenges a certain inbred cultural perception.

to also be rather more mild mannered, we all say something silly sometimes...so maybe your friend didnt really really mean what he said.

December 30, 2011 at 08:34 AM · Greetings,

>Emily, a violin is far from sexless. ;-) We just don't have enough information yet to assign which sex.

David. Playing with a shoulder rest is girly. Playing without is clearly manly. Or was it the other way round?

Always felt this was a gender issue along with baroque performance practice.

Steeenking Cat has no such dilemma... .

Cheers,

Buri

December 30, 2011 at 01:03 PM · Well, let's take this up a notch. I'm a former army ranger with 3 combat tours under my belt, trained for professional bodybuilding and trained for several years in mixed martial arts. And I took up the violin. So there ya go.

December 30, 2011 at 01:33 PM · "David (Burgess) is right - although he ears pistachio tank tops :0)"

My pink one was in the wash. ;-)

December 30, 2011 at 07:12 PM · But James,

did you take up the violin because you wanted to do somehting `girly` for once n your life?

Still confused,

Buri

December 30, 2011 at 09:25 PM · I can honestly say that I put the violin down for many years, which started from peer pressure, (pre-teen years) and picked up acoustic guitar 1st, then electric after a couple years, then went to bass, but ultimately went back to my 1st instrument: wanna know why? Guitar players like me can only play it so much, no matter how many styles you choose to master: it all becomes very un-challenging and you can only write so much music (if you like to record your own material, like I do) when it's all based on "riffs" and chord progressions stemming from only one instrument. I realized about 17 years ago that I was getting bored playing guitar and bass, so I bought my 1st synthesizer: guess what? - Had three synths all together, over a 12 year period, and once I used up all of the available sounds, to make as many original recordings as possible, got bored all over again. So finally, over the past few years, I went back to the violin, and found a whole new kind of inspiration all over again: the 1st inspiration that there ever was: having an instrument that I could barely remember how to play correctly, yet, simultaneous excitement and wonder of the instrument, with the freshly acquired enthusiasm to try it all over again. I've been back at it for about 4 years now, and have improved greatly, in leaps and bounds, especially since I thought of applying what I learned from music theory, and from playing other instruments. So my point is, if you "get the bug" then you should go for it, 100% and forget about what everyone else has to say about it.

December 30, 2011 at 10:35 PM · Interesting discussion. Yes, unfortunately, most of this world's major cultures have been more or less "sexist" since the dawn of recorded history. And indeed the great violin virtuosos of the past were the rock stars of their respective eras.

Ever read about the great Norwegian virtuoso Ole Bull? He was touring the United States in the good old cowboy days of the late 1800's, and a husky American lumberjack (or some other such occupation) and his friends threatened Ole Bull while he was on a steamboat cruise (I think on the Mississippi). Within seconds, Ole Bull flattened the bully (and I believe a couple of his friends) through the use of judo, thereby gaining their everlasting admiration and respect. So make sure you learn karate as well as violin playing any time someone calls you "girlie" and you're not a girl.

In my house, I'm very careful about maintaining my non-sexist language, since I've got a wife and two daughters. In fact, I refer to the mailman as the "person-person."

Actually, I believe that playing the violin (and every other major art) is neither male nor female, but human.

But there is indeed a recent trend in seeing a higher proportion of women entering fields that used to be the almost exclusive province of men. We see, for example, sometimes many more women then men entering graduate programs in law, psychology, and medicine.

Well, we'll see how it all turns out in the coming decade.

Happy New Year.

Cheers,

Sandy

December 30, 2011 at 10:48 PM · To the OP: What if you dared your friend to walk into a pub in Ireland and announce that he thought the fiddle was 'girly'? I wonder how he'd fare? ;)

December 30, 2011 at 10:54 PM · Speaking of being sexist...

Has anyone else noticed, that as soon as women start to dominate a field, men quickly begin to abandon it?

December 30, 2011 at 11:23 PM · " What if you dared your friend to walk into a pub in Ireland"

Try a Texas fiddle rally - I doubt if he'd make it out alive!

December 31, 2011 at 12:17 AM · I kind of agree with Freddy Fratto about guitar being boring instrument, or I meant, one can get bored easily with guitar. I've played guitar when I was a teenager, it was not very challenging.

In my point of view, your friend thinks violin is too girly because:

- Violin is one of the most difficult music instruments to play! You're required to practice every day. While, most of the guys tend to be outside and play football (or soccer, for those living in the USA), or rugby, no?

- Unlike guitar, you got to be accurate and have a good pitch to play a violin, violin is fretless!

- For beginners, learning the basic alone is already difficult, unlike guitar, you can learn guitar autodidact, but violin?

- human's voice is the source of the sound of the violin, violin's sound is high! It makes people think of a woman's voice. Your friend may consider contra bass more "manly" because it is big and the sound is heavy.

So? Congratulation for choosing this "girly" instrument!

You're: accurate and smarter than your friend!

Your friend is girly to not be able to even make a good sound on your violin!

Your friend might be a master when it is about flirting a girl and getting a date, but he is too girly to not be able to master this "girly" instrument!

December 31, 2011 at 11:36 AM · To the OP : Your friend's comment about the violin being "girly" is pretty stupid, and of course very untrue. Get him to stand two feet away from a tubby virtuoso's bow arm, as he knocks seven shades of sh** out of his instrument during a concerto performance, just to be heard above a noisy orchestra. I can't think of anything more un-girly. No, not a very nice description, but that's what actually happens in the production of beautiful music, as we all know. Except for your silly friend, of course :)

December 31, 2011 at 02:26 PM · To Stephen..........absolutely, boss!

December 31, 2011 at 07:26 PM · My husband does woodworking and doesn't play a single instrument, but he appreciates the workmanship and beauty of violins. How many violin makers are women, BTW?

December 31, 2011 at 09:50 PM · David you're my new hero. Luthier, harley dude--wow!! I think this thread has a few folks on the offensive!!!! Good, because I have never thought of liking the violin, playing the violin or even making a violin a "girly" thing. I guess I am just secure in my own skin. I do know a few players that no one would want to tangle with under any circumstances. So there!!!

December 31, 2011 at 10:51 PM · "David you're my new hero. Luthier, harley dude--wow!!"

Thanks, but the real hero is my girlfriend. She bypassed the typical "chick" small bikes, in favor of one of the biggest and baddest (stockish) Harleys.

I think it might be a temporary mid-life crisis thing, but both genders experience this, so what the heck? In the meantime, I have fun riding around on her mid-life crisis. Got a few horn honks accompanied with "thumbs-up" today while riding around briefly. :-)

Kinda cold here in Michigan, or I might have had more than ten minutes to evaluate...

January 1, 2012 at 03:23 PM · All this suggests a slight change in some of our violinistic terminology. New rules:

Instead of "f-holes," we should call them "f/m holes"

Instead of "G String," we should call it "G and/or Supporter String"

Instead of "1st Position," perhaps we should call it "Missionary Position"

Instead of the "Peg," perhaps we should call it the "Jim," or the "Fred," or whatever.

And lets not even get into the what we might call it instead of the nut of the bow.

Happy New Year.

Cheers,

Sandy

January 1, 2012 at 08:48 PM · Greetings,

the simplest solution to the problem is abandoning the term `violin` altogether. I mean lets face it, the word is boring and its had its day anyway. From now on, when asked , one simply says :

`I play the lerve machine.` with a sensual tone of voice.

Cheers,

buri

January 4, 2012 at 12:24 AM ·

January 4, 2012 at 06:43 PM · From Geoff Caplan

"" What if you dared your friend to walk into a pub in Ireland"

Try a Texas fiddle rally - I doubt if he'd make it out alive!"

...or virgin...

Strange manly things happen when someone plays a Burgess violin...Since Harley Davidson don't have their own violin method I'll have to stick with Suzuki's...

January 4, 2012 at 07:09 PM · ooohh you Americans.

the 11th Amendment:

The right to bare arms while playing the violin.

Cheers,

burp

January 4, 2012 at 07:18 PM · Buri, Americans are pussies. LOL

Mr. Roux lives in Switzerland, where men can still be men.

Watch out, Texans!

January 4, 2012 at 07:28 PM ·

January 4, 2012 at 07:56 PM · "ooohh you Americans.

the 11th Amendment:

The right to bare arms while playing the violin."

Here it's more like: The right to bare violins while shooting guns.

David was always so polite with me.

January 4, 2012 at 08:26 PM · It's not just you. I'm polite with everyone who is carrying three knives and two guns. ;-)

January 4, 2012 at 09:02 PM · Dear Mike,

to come back to your question. To someone who would make fun of me because I work as a musician, violinist, my first reaction would be to think that that person is very limited and needs help to open up. Now if they really want an explanation about why violin, why classical I will tell you this: I have played different styles of music with different instruments and my conclusion (for now) is that classical music has the most powerful force of expressing the broadest spectrum of any kind of feelings that anyone has ever dreamed of. Now this makes us musicians very special and as you will grow up as a musician, amateur or pro, you will have the growing feeling that you are one of the most lucky person on earth. And...you will get to know people that are very knowladgeble like our truly great violin makers and bow makers just to name two of the hundreds of professions involved in the music world and they are all there to get you going do your job, man or woman.

I hope this helps!

January 4, 2012 at 09:21 PM · "It's not just you. I'm polite with everyone who is carrying three knives and two guns. ;-)"

...I'm sure you run faster than I do loaded with all that stuff... violins have been used as weapons through human history...and have unleashed more panic that any raging bull according to urban legends. And I still didn't mention violas and viola players...So we are a real army out there waiting for THE signal. Beware...beware...

January 4, 2012 at 09:28 PM ·

January 4, 2012 at 09:36 PM · Look at all these insecure men! There is no need to justify why playing violin isn't 'girly'. Consider it a compliment! ;)

And I still didn't mention violas and viola players...So we are a real army out there waiting for THE signal.

Ah, we have finally found a good use for violas! :)

January 4, 2012 at 10:09 PM · ...lets mount those instruments with depleted uranium strings.

January 5, 2012 at 03:55 AM · Greetings,

joyce, its not a compliment in the same way it would be rude to say you were girly. You are nothing but -womanly-

Cheers,

Buri

January 29, 2012 at 07:38 AM · I think of the violin as feminine, but I don't feel "girly" when I play it. In fact I think we make a rather nice couple!!

The viola is more of a stroppy teenager, but well worth the trouble...

January 29, 2012 at 04:30 PM · Wear long pants and no-one will know if you shave your hairy legs.

January 29, 2012 at 08:42 PM · Time was, it was considered improper for girls and women to play the violin...maybe show him some videos of the Vienna Phil. from the 90's...

January 29, 2012 at 09:15 PM · Ignore them. I work in the most manilness environment where 99% talk is girls, sports and cars. When they found out I played violin I got nothing but good compliments and high praises. No one called it girlie. But maybe because these were more family type men with their own kids and not teenage boys. I don't know. But no one has ever called it girlie to me. And if they did, who cares. I'm still proud and post pics on FB when I have something violin related to be proud of.

April 17, 2012 at 12:13 AM · The violin is anything but girly; it is sophisticated and classic. In my orchestra (and in most orchestras) first chair is always a guy

April 17, 2012 at 01:57 AM · You'll be the one laughing when your friend sees the girls you get once they see a bit of skill on the violin! I've met three great girlfriends directly by playing the violin. I live in a city called Kamloops, and it is a recurring story amongst my friends of how Ms. Kamloops, the city's pageant queen, practically threw herself at me as soon as I played an open mic night at our university pub.

If he still thinks it is girly, get a pickup or electric violin, put some distortion on it and play some solos that would put any metal guitarist to shame.

I made a girl cry once by playing the first arpeggio of the chaconne!

April 17, 2012 at 07:00 AM · My violin is definitely not 'girly'. It can at times be 'beastly', but never 'girly'

What instrument does your so called Facebook 'friend' play. I wouldn't mind betting that he plays none :)

April 18, 2012 at 02:18 PM · What's all this nonsense about the violin being "too curly"???

Of course the violin is curly! Ever take a good look at the scroll?

Oh, "girly."....Never mind.

April 19, 2012 at 12:19 PM · One must be careful in what they call girly or manly.

Every thing has a girly and a manly side. Violin has both attributes and great players will be able to honor both. (thus the wonderful beauty/power mix that everyone admires in violin legend's playing)

I think such stereotypes comes from jealousy.

My second biggest passion is horseback riding and I also feel among my friends and public opinion that this is considered "a girl's" thing. I don't know why since many Olympic and World Cup champions are men... Not to mention all these middle age cavalry soldiers and cowboys. As with violin, this sport has both girly and manly sides. Guy's who tell horse riding is girly are probably jealous of the horse's strengh and who knows what else :)

April 19, 2012 at 06:35 PM · yes way too girly

April 19, 2012 at 09:04 PM · "Guy's who tell horse riding is girly are probably jealous of the horse's strengh and who knows what else :)"

Anne-Marie, you are a very naughty girl!

April 19, 2012 at 10:15 PM · Well, sometimes a little joke is all it takes to express a more complex issue!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe