Wired after playing?

December 13, 2011 at 04:10 PM · My teacher taught me a Christmas song (Angels we have heard on high) and I had been practicing it for two weeks (constantly)LOL. Last night we had our duet...I videotaped it and put it on you tube. I was so excited about our little performance, even though I look scared, but I was so wired when I got home. I must have watched the video about 30 times and had the most awesome feeling of accomplishment...

I was just wondering if anyone had felt this way after a performance, or is it because I am a beginner and just super excited?

Replies (21)

December 13, 2011 at 04:26 PM · Say what??

December 13, 2011 at 05:44 PM · So, apparently, trolls creep out during the daylight hours as well.

December 13, 2011 at 08:07 PM · Dear Friends - don't engage in dispute; just hit the Flag button at the end of any post you are sure does not belong here.

December 13, 2011 at 08:10 PM · Hi Patty-There's nothing like the feeling after a great performance, congratulations! It doesn't matter that you're a beginner we all get that rush when everything comes together. The real test is to learn from those performances that don't go exactly to plan.

-M

PS: Folks don't feed the troll!

December 13, 2011 at 08:21 PM · I get a rush too...a solo is the most nerve wracking...and I'm working on that...then a quartet...then the orchestra...

But even after an orchestral performance, I'm still on a mini-high. It's a great feeling.

December 13, 2011 at 09:38 PM · ....and if you do it with beer or wine, you go from "wired" to "tired" !

December 13, 2011 at 10:08 PM · I remember after my very first concert in sixth grade, I lay awake in bed most of the night. I just couldn't come down! I got really stressed out about it, too, because I had to go to school the next day.

I can still remember what I wore, down to the hair bow, belt and shoes.

Now here I am, all grown, and just like you, I listened to recordings of my last recital over and over. maybe not quite as excited, quite a bit more critical, but still, recitals are always a real high moment.

December 14, 2011 at 12:38 AM · Patty, if this was your first performance, the excitement must have been huge. I've even had trouble getting to sleep after a rehearsal, much less a performance, especially if it lasted until 10 or after..

December 14, 2011 at 05:30 AM · I really love this website, and I am so happy to be part of this community!! Playing the violin is a very frustrating but exciting instrument, some days you play amazing well, some days, your evil twin has shown up unexpectedly. I find it so incredible to have some milestone or rewarding experience with the violin, and being able to share it, and to know that others out there have felt the same way.

At my age, I am not sure if I will ever have another performance, but I am really glad I got to experience something like this in my lifetime.

PS. I am STILL watching my video!!! ha ha.

December 14, 2011 at 09:56 AM · Hi Patty,

If you like performing, you MUST find an orchestra and join it!

December 14, 2011 at 10:09 AM · I loved your post- it made me happy. I hope you always feel that way when you play :-)

December 15, 2011 at 12:22 AM · it just shows how much you love performing and love the stage. I would say it's a good thing :) keep up the good work

December 15, 2011 at 02:17 PM · it just shows how much you love performing and love the stage

I am laughing because somehow I got my teacher to wear a santa hat and matching red & white tights while we performed our song! My teacher rocks!!

December 16, 2011 at 07:31 PM · Yes - performing is hard. At the end of a concert I still feel both physicaly and mentally tired. It's hard work and concentrating for two hours drains you. Plus if it's been a good concert, you're on a high. A couple of pints in a quiet bar afterwards helps. In fact, one of my ex-colleagues was told to go for a drink afterwards by her husband on the grounds that if she came straight home she was so wound up.

December 17, 2011 at 02:44 AM · A good rehearsal can give much of the same buzz. One of the weirder experiences I had in college was coming back to my dorm from a dress rehearsal feeling alert, sharp, full of energy, etc. When I got there, I poked my head into a room full of people who happened to be doing cocaine. Their conversation was so chaotic and their body language was so strange that for a minute I felt drunk. When I closed the door and stood in the hallway, the alertness and euphoria returned in an instant.

December 17, 2011 at 03:47 AM · I do the same thing after a good recital/concert. It is a good feeling.

December 17, 2011 at 08:13 AM · I get so emotionally and physically drained, no matter what I'm performing, that I once fell down the stairs (not carpeted, marble).

Stage is like a drug for me. I'm terrified before I go, I want to die as I walk (remember, keep smiling, stop smiling like that, you look like a Cheshire cat). Bowing is doubly terrifying. Then performance starts, I'm on a buzz to the point everything turns into a blur except myself and what I hear. Since I do remember what I played but don't remember much in visuals, I might be blind while I'm playing for all I know.

Finish playing. Last note is the moment of triumph and the adrenaline rush. Remember to bow! as I'm bowing, the adrenaline rush fades, leaving the sense of utter fatigue. Walk backstage. People clap. I want to run home. I can't run home, the conductor's telling to get out there. Stop staring at me, I am not green baloney. Argh.

Walk backstage. Greet my mother, who is sometimes backstage (even now). Prepare for berating/pointing out what I did wrong. Pack up. Sneak out backstage (literally). All I can think of is crashing and trying to forget my yet another non-perfect performance.

This is the run-down of my performance experience, every time, since I was four.

Performance is literally a drug for me. The anticipation, fear, the buzz and the rush, the utter drained feeling and the fatigue that follows. This, evidently, is similar to doing drugs. Hey, I don't need to rely on chemicals for my buzz.

December 17, 2011 at 10:30 AM · Wired after performance . . . . I think most musicians are!

I was recently talking to a doctor, and she noted that most professional musicians suffer from two distinct ailments :

1) high blood pressure - brought on by the stress of preparation, pre-performance, performance, etc. . . . we don't have an easy job, and the margin for error is so small that we're just under a lot of pressure constantly.

2) sleep problems - hardly anybody can relax until at least 3 or 4 hours have passed following a show.

It's normal, and certainly still happens to me. If I'm playing a long opera and get out of the hall at 11pm (or later), I'm not going to be asleep until at least 230/3am. It just comes with the territory. Read a book, have a drink or two, go home, drink some (herbal) tea, just take your time winding down!

December 17, 2011 at 06:37 PM · Chris

This is exactly it. Even after a quartet rehearsal I may get home late, but I can't sleep for a few hours even when I have an early start the next morning.

But it's hard to live a "normal" life and not have the performing or even just playing ritual. I have tried it but I always end up back doing something that requires a challenge.

December 17, 2011 at 09:01 PM · Yup, that's pretty much the case.

Even taking a nap in the afternoon can be a hassle after a morning reherasal or performance . . . . it's just part of the gig!

December 20, 2011 at 12:54 AM · I always get hyped up after a concert or a particularly productive rehearsal. It is a real buzz to be able to communicate music, to perform... Going to sleep immediately I get home? Forget it! I usually take at least 3 or 4 hours to return to something resembling "normality". Actually I've spoken to friends who do a bit of acting and they seem to have exactly the same kind of feelings after a performance too. Personally, the worst moment for me is always the morning after the concert before. Unless I have another gig, I always feel really deflated and depressed, but usually a nap and some chocolate cures that feeling!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe