Not the

December 6, 2011 at 06:21 AM · High on my list is the Viotti Violin Concerto #22. His other concertos are well composed and attractive and beautiful. But he hit something very, very deep with this one.

Do you have a piece in mind that fits this category?

Replies (22)

December 6, 2011 at 06:42 AM · Do you count Sibelius as in the Beethoven-Brahms category? The Sibelius concerto is my favorite. I used to have a 45 minute commute from work and whenever I had a bad day, I'd plug it in, turn up the volume and usually by the time I pulled into my driveway,it would be just finishing. Its pretty cathartic and whatever happened during the day, listening to the Sibelius concerto dissolved it so I'd be in a good mood by the time I got home.

December 6, 2011 at 07:24 AM · Greetings,

interesting question.

Tedesco concerto.

Joachim Concerto.

Paginini 2 and 4.

Spohr 8

Cheers,

Buri

December 6, 2011 at 08:01 AM · Alban Berg.

Shostakovich.

December 6, 2011 at 09:20 AM · Sander - looks like you were hit by the curse of the double quote. If you use them in your title, it seems to get mangled by the software. I'm told that single quotes work OK, but haven't risked it yet.

December 6, 2011 at 10:04 AM · STRAUSS!!!!!!! One of my absolute favourite!!!!

December 6, 2011 at 10:25 AM · Someone has to mention Bruch 1 - so I will :)

Neat question ..

December 6, 2011 at 11:13 AM · The Tedesco 2 together with the Szymanowski 1 :)

December 6, 2011 at 02:53 PM · Geoff: Thank you. Yes, I think that once again I have been bested by technology. The title was a little more than 2 words. Oh, well. Actually, I have never made a mistake (I thought I did once, but I was wrong).

Cheers,

Sandy

December 6, 2011 at 03:46 PM · Khachaturian concerto is one of my faves. Kogan's recording with Monteux is exceptional but others are great too.

December 6, 2011 at 04:35 PM · Barber...

December 6, 2011 at 04:58 PM · Franck A Major Sonata (listen to Mutter, Rosand, Sutre)

Schoenberg Concerto (Hahn's recording crackles)

December 6, 2011 at 11:14 PM · Prokofiev concerto #2, Bloch's Suite Hebraique.

December 7, 2011 at 12:07 AM · I don't know if it could stand up with the greatest concertos, but the Coleridge-Taylor violin concerto would be totally beloved by audiences if it was heard more often...

Actually I think there's a lot of late-Romantic repertoire that, for whatever reason isn't played as often as it could be (maybe because it doesn't fit the narrative of "progress" that critics and historians seem to have prized so much in the second half of the twentieth century? dunno).

December 7, 2011 at 12:54 AM · Robert Schumann d-minor violin concerto.

December 7, 2011 at 02:02 AM · The Britten is incredible. As is the Bartok. But maybe they're both already in the Brahms - Bach category.

December 7, 2011 at 10:31 AM · Goldmark - Taktakishvili first - Glazunov - Bliss -

Lalo - Manen spaniard concerto - Kabalevsky - Rakov first - Saint-Saëns second - Ysaye 9th. - Vieuxtemps fourth - Wieniawsky first......

December 7, 2011 at 11:36 AM · Hmmm... so is the summed cannon without the 'greats' may be greater than the summed cannon of the 'greats'..

Bet it is but its not how we seem to approach it...

December 7, 2011 at 03:58 PM · And why not the D minor one? He was just a teen when he wrote it, but it's a lovely work and an underrated one. Very few recordings or lived versions. It's better know on a trumpet transcription.

December 7, 2011 at 04:13 PM · Another vote for the Barber VC.

December 7, 2011 at 05:28 PM · Maybe it would be more interesting not just to tell the names but also some reasons, why one thinks that this or that concerto is a "great" one. Otherwise its a sum up of not so often played good concertos, wich is a never ending list.

To the "greats":

For me The Beethoven Concerto is the most unpretentious violin concerto out there, with a lot of harmonic and melodic narrative beauty. Mendelssohn e-minor, certainly one of the official "greats" stands between the classizism and the romantizism, wich makes this concerto very soulful but somehow old fashioned. Sibelius is definetely one of the most played concertos nowadays, so its surely in the official "greats" too. To me Sibelius stands for total expressionism wich to me is the peak of romantizism. I cannot imagine any deeper expression of subtile human feelings.

Why I mentioned the Schumann is because I like this concerto in some aspects, especcially the first movement, even more than the Brahms Concerto. While the Brahms concerto first movement has definetely great moments wich are beautifully connected, it still is like a collage to me when compared to the first movement of Schumann. In terms of expressiveness Schumann to me is obviously stronger. The second movement of Schumann is also very special. The last Schumann movement is a question mark because it just feels wrong to me unless you see some cynical humor in it. Maybe the last movement is also the reason why this concerto is played so seldom but adored and played by some of the best musicians like Szeryng, Zehetmair, Menuhin, Kolja Blacher

I don't even think this concerto needs more publicity, I think it is not a concert for everybody, if you don't like Schumann you will be probably bored. If you love Schumann, like I do ;), you will hear every note speak to you.

Schumann Cello and Piano concerto are to me one of the most beautiful pieces of art when it comes to solo-concerti. So narrative and deep!

December 8, 2011 at 03:23 AM · How about the Dohnanyi First (aka the Brahms Second)? An unbelievably wonderful work. The apotheosis of Romanticism. And the most spine tingling Gypsy variation-on-Brahms-and-Beethoven ever in the last movement. The Dohnanyi Second is also in the top league: very different, and much more "modern." Has anyone mentioned Dvorak? Or Hindemith? Also extraordinary works.

December 9, 2011 at 10:32 AM · Bartók's both violin-piano-sonatas and the 2nd concerto; sonata by Janácek; Prokoffiev´s sonatas and concertos.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe