Loud Metronome Wanted

December 5, 2011 at 06:51 AM · I want a battery-operated metronome that is very loud. Which one can I buy that will be LOUD? I have a Seiko and it's not loud enough.

Replies (20)

December 5, 2011 at 06:55 AM · If you can afford it, Boss DB-90

December 5, 2011 at 12:27 PM · Plug some speakers into the headphone socket.

December 5, 2011 at 12:27 PM · well, plug it into an AMPlifier!

December 5, 2011 at 01:09 PM · Doesn't have a headphone / earphone / output socket. And I don't want anything in my ears. But thanks for the suggestion. I thought of having my laptop there and using an application, but I want something I can carry around and use to rehearse with a pianist too.

Ufda, that Boss device is expensive. Normally that would not bother me, but after what I just spent on a violin ...

December 5, 2011 at 02:02 PM · The Korg KDM-2 is loud. It has a nice woodblock sound.

It might not be loud enough for violin *and* piano.

December 5, 2011 at 02:48 PM · If you have an iPad, iPhone or and iPod touch then you can get some good metronome apps and you can plug all of these into some form of external amplification.

December 5, 2011 at 02:55 PM · Get an old clockwork one. I use one that used to belong to my grandfather. It's teeth-rattlingly loud. And it has an optional 'bing' as well. What more could you need? :-)

December 5, 2011 at 03:19 PM · Go for feel: Bodybeat metronome

You wear it and it zaps you. You can't NOT play with this metronome.

Smiles! Diane

December 5, 2011 at 06:25 PM · find some old computer speakers, that have an auxiliary out thing i believe its called.

December 5, 2011 at 06:34 PM · Body beat is not made anymore although one or two places still have them. Opinion about them appears to be quite varied. And it is expensive.

December 5, 2011 at 09:02 PM · Paul,

I had the same desire. My solution is this:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_rw500_rhythmpumper.htm

See recommendations on that page below, esp.the tama thing.

December 6, 2011 at 01:24 AM · McAdams!

December 6, 2011 at 03:33 AM · Dr. Beat.

December 6, 2011 at 03:57 AM · Drum machine! Seriously.

December 6, 2011 at 12:18 PM · I have a love/hate relationship with my metronome! I have noticed that when I am playing "double time" it is very hard to hear. My teacher has let me borrow her "Korg" metronome with a light at the top so you can watch it, and that has helped, but I do agree, I could use a louder one :) Great question!

December 6, 2011 at 02:57 PM · I can't believe you're all such gadget fiends! Mine is AMAZING. It gets used heavily by me, and was used to the same extent by my grandfather. He gave it to me when I was eleven. The stamp inside says '5 Sep 196-' (can't see the last digit, but it's either a two or a three. That's nearly FIFTY YEARS of reliable clicking. I know it keeps excellent time, as I've tested it against the puny one built into the digital piano. And it certainly fulfils your criterion of 'banging away'- I can hear it plainly over my French Horn, and trust me, a violin is no match for that.

You have to wind it up every so often, that's the only downside. But you'd only have to put batteries in an electric one anyway. So what's the difference? :-)

December 6, 2011 at 03:59 PM · Thanks for suggestions, but let's narrow this down a little:

(1) Less than $100. Ideally less than $50.

(2) Handheld, battery-operated, and can be carried in my violin case.

I just want a normal type metronome but I want to know if there are any brands that are just really loud.

December 6, 2011 at 09:10 PM · Have you read my posting?

December 6, 2011 at 10:09 PM · The one I use is this one:

http://www.sharmusic.com/Shop-Shar/Accessories/Electric/Metronomes-Tuners/Shar-Metro-Tuner.axd

It's louder than pretty much any metronome you can get for under thirty bucks.

December 6, 2011 at 10:26 PM · Get a software metronome that works from your computer - they are free. Then you can turn it as loud as you want.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe