Dueling Bach Doubles

November 30, 2011 at 05:28 PM · The only recording I own of the Bach "Double" is Hilary Hahn with Margaret Batjer. While it's obviously a great recording, the first movement is played a little faster than I would prefer.

So, while I consider other versions, I'm interested: what's your favorite recording of the Bach Concerto for 2 Violins?

Replies (21)

November 30, 2011 at 07:29 PM · While not perfect or complete, here is a friend of mine playing BOTH parts of the Bach Double at the same time! http://youtu.be/FdvMMwwbX78

November 30, 2011 at 08:01 PM · There's a recording I have heard on the radio (but don't own) of Isaac Stern and Gil Shaham that I like a lot. Relaxed, friendly, wonderful dialogue between the parts. There is great film on You Tube of Yehudi Menuhin and David Oistrakh playing all three movements, too. The two men had such different techniques, yet played so well together. If you like the period instrument stuff, Andrew Manze and Rachel Podger ain't half bad.

November 30, 2011 at 08:46 PM · Cho Liang Lin and Kyung Wha Chung

http://youtu.be/8MkLm22hBTM

November 30, 2011 at 08:54 PM · David and Igor Oistrakh did a very good recording, as did Isaac Stern and Perlman.

November 30, 2011 at 10:50 PM · Nigel Kennedy came out with this earlier in the year, and I don't think Bach would have objected.

December 1, 2011 at 12:58 AM · I downloaded the Stern/Perlman performance from i-Tunes -- I can't imagine there being a better recording out there!!! (Although I would like to hear the David/Igor Oistrakh recording sometime for comparison.....)

December 1, 2011 at 05:19 AM · There is one with Arthur Grumiaux that I always thought was good. I forget who the other violinist was.

December 1, 2011 at 01:13 PM · I stumbled across a YouTube in jazz idiom that was way fun to listen to. I don't think I favorited it, but you might be able to locate it.

December 1, 2011 at 10:28 PM · If it's fun you're after, Youtube also has a video of the first movement played by Isaac Stern and Jack Benny. I don't like the one of David Oistrakh and Yehudi Menuhin - I find Menuhin's style on the piece to be distracting. I have and like the recording of David and Igor Oistrakh.

Did I mention that I'm a fan of David Oistrakh?

December 1, 2011 at 11:29 PM · Greetings,

Szigeti/Flesch, Kreisler /I forgot, the oistraks, for the old school. Manzae and Podger? is brilliant even to someone like me who doesn@t partuiclarly go for `authenitc` performanc epractice.

Cheer,s

Buri

December 2, 2011 at 02:46 AM · Hi Buri,

The Kreisler one I think you are referring to was with Zimbalist in 1915.

George

December 2, 2011 at 03:44 AM · that`s the one.

Thanks.

December 2, 2011 at 01:11 PM · Another cheer for Oistrakh/Oistrakh.

December 2, 2011 at 07:05 PM · I second Kreisler/Zimbalist. Never get tired of this one. Very "expressive" Bach, but not a historically correct one. *I know this last sentence will get me in hot water, but there's NO WAY Bach could have imagined his music would sound like this. It's still a great recording either way.

December 3, 2011 at 08:05 AM · Paul - Grumiaux's partner on that recording was Herman(n?) Krebbers.

I'd like to throw Scott & Lara St. John's recording in here as well. I think it's pretty wonderful.

December 3, 2011 at 12:06 PM · Grappelli and Eddie South:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQZw3nema0Q

December 4, 2011 at 12:02 AM · I highly recommend this CD: Baroque instruments and beautifully played: http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Double-Violin-Concertos-Podger/dp/B00000IL4A

December 4, 2011 at 12:04 AM · The link above is the Manze/Podger one the others mentioned.

December 6, 2011 at 06:17 AM · Menuhin/Enesco

Last movement unbelievable...

December 6, 2011 at 07:38 PM · Just for fun, check to see if you can find anything on YouTube from the PBS "From the Top" series. A few years back Gil Shaham played the third movement with then-ten-year-old Alice Ivy Pemberton. I was floored by her ability at that age! Wish I could hear her now.

February 1, 2012 at 08:20 PM · Grumiaux made an earlier recording with Koji Toyoda (One of Suzuki's first pupils).

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe