baroque violin needed!!!

November 18, 2011 at 02:49 PM · Yeah, im looking for an affordable baroque violin. Most of the ones I found in the internet are either too expensive or not baroque at all. Need help on this one.

Replies (28)

November 18, 2011 at 06:17 PM · How much is "affordable" for you?

November 18, 2011 at 08:21 PM · There's one for sale on this website for a relatively small sum -- check out the recent archives.

November 18, 2011 at 10:45 PM · Affordable for me is nothing above 1,000 dollars.

November 19, 2011 at 07:21 AM · You could try this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Copy-Sebastian-Klotz-Baroque-Violin-8101-/360340354951?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e5f57787#ht_10015wt_1502

I bought one six months ago for one of my pals at the orchestra. It needed some tweaks here and there (main was a new tailgut), but, with a set of Chordas the sound was reasonably fair.

November 19, 2011 at 08:23 AM · Nicolas, that was the one I was considering, is the sound ok? That is my main concern, as for the tailpiece, thats not really a problem. I asked for a recording of the violins sound, looks like they didnt have any.

November 22, 2011 at 09:28 AM · Workmanship is nice, it has oil varnish very well applied. The tailcord was simply a nylon wire that stretched indefinitely when tuning the instrument. Sound was not very good "right out of the box", but once with Chorda strings, a proper tailgut, correct string afterlenght sound was fair for the price. Delicate and warm.

Do not expect an Amati for that price.

November 22, 2011 at 04:07 PM · "Affordable for me is nothing above 1,000 dollars."

What the heck do you expect to get for that? How much did you spend on your main violin? For that little money I don't know that you can expect much more than a toy. "Baroque" is too small a market to support decent but inexpensive production. Besides, what s "baroque" about it?

Simply buying something labeled "baroque" may be missing the point entirely. What is the purpose of this new instrument? What do you want to achieve? Is it necessary to get a "baroque" instrument to do that? Can you get a baroque bow instead? Can you switch to plain gut instead?

November 22, 2011 at 08:00 PM · I've been playing baroque violin for the past few years-- you may be better off with an old HOPF, an unlabeled Klingenthal violin or even a Medio Fino. The tone is consistently better (smoother and more blended) and they work well with gut.

I've owned many Chinese violins-- once the wood and varnish dry out after a few months/years the tone goes downhill. I own one that remained a good player, though.

November 24, 2011 at 12:00 AM · Gracias Nicolas, for the informatio! I shall bear that in mind. Bill: no need to get all serious bro! Just looking around asking for advice. The issue here is my budget. My main violin is a guarneri copy, price range about 4,000 USD. The reason why im buying a cheap one is because I want to k.ow the feel of one before I fully proceed to early music studies. Dont wanna buy a Stainer cause I want to know what it's like to go baroque.

November 24, 2011 at 12:03 AM · Thanks Evan! I will look for them.

November 24, 2011 at 02:12 AM · If you buy a $1000 fiddle, it'll be worth $500 if you want to sell it. Is there some less expensive way to get your hands on an instrument with the shorter neck etc? So far, with instruments, I have found that I get what I pay for, and I would be disappointed if I had a $4k fiddle, and then went out and spent $1k for another--would it really be up to the quality I had come to expect?

The other reason I bring it up is that I have found that in normal fiddles anyway, jumpoing from $1k to $4k opens up the quality of the sound a huge amount. Huge. I wound have to wonder if the cheap baroque would do you more of a disservice? Just wondering...

November 24, 2011 at 05:34 AM · Whoa, who said anything about selling? Dude, chill a'ight? The hell are trying to do here exactly?

November 24, 2011 at 12:37 PM · I wonder what you are trying to do...? You asked for advice on a public board...so take it like a man;-)

November 24, 2011 at 12:56 PM · Exactly. No need to be grumpy? We can help each other in simple and kind way. Try a different way next time. No need to be a know-it-all douche yeah? ;-)

November 24, 2011 at 01:22 PM · Hey, did you see the wink? And I am asking questions, not really being a know it all...seriously. In my experience, it is really disappointing, going back down to a cheap instrument, if you have been accustomed to a good one. I just wonder how a $1000 "baroque" is going to come up to the mark...without leaving you disappointed. That's just coming from my experience, trying the cheap stuff after owning expensive the stuff...

November 24, 2011 at 01:31 PM · miguel, bill is obviously trying to help with his advice. i think you have misread/misinterpreted his post.

November 24, 2011 at 02:07 PM · All right, my bad for dissing. Just dont like how you first approached my post yeah? The last one sounds better, people learn after all. Hehehehehe.

November 24, 2011 at 10:37 PM · Miguel, like you, I would like to have a baroque violin sometime, but, since I have two violins, I converted the less expensive, a Jay Haide, to an approximation of a baroque setup for learning baroque playing on until I get the real thing.

Ok, the Jay Haide hasn't got the short baroque neck (although it is indeed thicker than that of my old German violin, and has a slightly smaller angle to the violin body), it doesn't have the shorter baroque fingerboard either, and the bridge is modern, but the strings are plain gut E, A, D and a wound gut G, and I use a baroque bow. I don't use a chin rest or shoulder rest (and no fine tuners, obviously), so I reckon I have the basics for learning baroque playing.

The only expense has been the strings – I already had a plain tail piece anyway – and the baroque bow, which I also use on my best violin for some of the orchestral pieces we work on, and for folk music. The bow, at least, is therefore a capital outlay that can be used for almost all my playing.

November 25, 2011 at 04:05 AM · You could even come up with a capo to make the neck act shorter...the string angle will still be high but at least you can even get the tension aspects...

November 25, 2011 at 06:50 PM · In his defense, I didn't care for the tone of Bill's first two responses either -- it sounds like he's criticizing everyone who is constrained by such a budget (which is a whole lot of people, particularly students) for not being able to be the bigger spender like he would, even after it was explained that this isn't intended to be the major purchase of a serious instrument. I'm glad he went on to clarify.

November 26, 2011 at 07:50 AM ·

November 26, 2011 at 07:57 AM · IMHO, converting a modern violin to a baroque one is quite different. You need something more than pure gut strings (Chordas would perfectly do). In a baroque violin you not only have those strigs, but a shorter fingerboard, a shorter bass bar, different (lighter) tailpiece, lower bridge, different bow, etc...

I have played one of those baroque instruments and a modern one with pure gut strings and they are completely different.

November 27, 2011 at 05:27 AM · Depending on your location, it may be in your interest to try getting to know the baroque violin with a borrowed or rented instrument. A violin in the <$1000 range is likely to be frustrating in a number of ways regardless of setup, and this will make it hard to gauge the consequences of the setup.

November 28, 2011 at 01:10 AM · Thank you Jude, but Im in the Philippines, and they dont rent instruments here. Sad really. But I see your point. Thank you for that.

January 6, 2012 at 03:40 AM · I have an old Baroque violin that I am selling for $400.00. The instrument is about a hundred years old, shows some wear, but is in working condition. A beautifully sounding instrument but too difficult to play for a beginner, which is what I am.

I can send pictures if you are interested.

email me at: Kristaaah@yahoo.com

January 6, 2012 at 03:47 AM · There is a baroque violin here.

September 8, 2012 at 06:57 PM · Has anyone here played the Jay Haide Baroque model violin?

September 8, 2012 at 08:14 PM · Since my previous post of November 24 last year I fitted a few months ago a baroque tailpiece to my modified Jay Haide. It has made a noticeable difference to the tone. My string preference for the Haide is oiled gut Savarez, rather than Chorda.

When I eventually get a real baroque violin (depending on my DFA) it will be a simple matter to revert the Haide to its original spec.

This is a good time to mention Stanley Ritchie's new book on playing the baroque violin - “Before the Chinrest”, available from Amazon in paperback and Kindle formats.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe