What is your favorite string to play on?

November 17, 2011 at 06:28 AM · On my violin I love my A string. My E string, not so much. The A just gives me such a clear, ringing sound, and I love it.

Replies (22)

November 17, 2011 at 11:26 AM · When I'm on my E its my favorite - and thats true for them all. Which is not entirely facetious - I like to stay on a string once I've started on it. It can drive my teacher a bit batty when I'm still on the D string in 8th position when I could be comfortable on the A or E ... :)

November 17, 2011 at 02:53 PM · When I'm really on my game and the planets are aligned properly, I can get a wonderful tone from the G. That is definitely my favorite string. Deep, powerful, and in the upper range very dramatic.

November 18, 2011 at 01:30 AM · I have to say that I'm liking all 4 now. With my last 2 fiddles that hasn't been the case. G & D felt too much like bass strings. but with the fiddle I've got now and the strings that are on it, the G & D feel and sound more like melody strings which I like. The low end is still there but more of a focused low end as opposed to a muddy cumbersome low end. So yeah, hafta say that for the first time in a long time, I'm happy with all 4.

In my limited experience I find that the best sounding string on most fiddles (at least the cheaper ones in my range) tends to be the A. I'm betting that not many people say the D is their favorite. I find it very interesting that David C. really likes the G and especially up high. I certainly can't play too well high on the G!

I've been dealing with cheaper fiddles with weak E's most of my life, and it's a real joy to have an E that will hold its own with the other 3.

I find this to be an interesting topic.

November 18, 2011 at 04:40 AM · D for me!

November 18, 2011 at 01:24 PM · Not the E, that's for certain ;) Sue

November 18, 2011 at 01:52 PM · anything but G. being a late starter and not having the greatest flexibility in the world, G can be a painful place to be.

November 18, 2011 at 08:44 PM · I am in love with D at baroque pitch 415

April 17, 2012 at 12:20 AM · I like all of them but the A string to me sounds so smooth and clear!

April 17, 2012 at 01:56 AM · Yep, just love my E (it's a PI platinum)and it's just gorgeous all the way along.

David "when the planets are aligned properly" LOL, that's a pearler! It's so true though, I fall madly in love with my G when this happens, but only rarely, alas.

April 17, 2012 at 04:43 AM · Like my A, because it is the best sounding register on my cheap instrument.

April 17, 2012 at 06:24 AM · Well, it is definitely NOT the E string ! However, I do have a variety of of E strings coming in the mail so that may change. I would have to say that my favourite is the D string.

April 17, 2012 at 07:01 AM · Definitely my A

April 17, 2012 at 11:09 AM · G! absolutely no comparison, it is always the G :)

especially if I have a heavy gauge 'rigid' Oliv or heavy gauge Eudoxa G, love it!

April 17, 2012 at 03:11 PM · I'm liking my deep, dark, warm C best.

April 17, 2012 at 06:38 PM · D. Its got lotsa tone but is not quite as hard to play up north as the G is.

Oh dear, maybe I should be playing the viola??

Now where is Peter when we need him? I think I know his favorite...

April 17, 2012 at 07:00 PM · G!

April 17, 2012 at 08:03 PM · D! it sounds great and my two other favs are A and G right next door.

April 17, 2012 at 09:41 PM · You're all a bunch of wanna-be violists, ladies and gentlemen.

April 17, 2012 at 11:52 PM · G but my fingers prefer E since it's smaller!

April 17, 2012 at 11:53 PM · Seems our ears dislike high pitches lol. I'm very fussy about finding the darkest E possible for that reason :)

Maybe it also depends who plays the E? Some solists can make the violin sound almost as if it was a shoulder cello... They are my favorite type of soloists!

April 18, 2012 at 01:28 AM · Definitely A, although my D is sounding better and better lately. And sometimes a pure beautiful E string note is the best thing ever. Of course, G is in my top 4 as well. Hhhm, I think it's A! Or D or.....

April 18, 2012 at 02:56 AM · It's a toss-up between the E on my violin and the G on my viola. The G sounds and feels amazing, but the E is just so much fun. I had a loaner violin from my shop a little while ago while mine was getting repairs that had the most amazing E string. The others were just so-so, but the E just had this rich, resonant sound that I'd never heard from an E before! Not sure if it was due to the string, violin, or both, but I didn't get a chance to ask what brand it was:(

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe