A 29 yrs old newbie.

November 1, 2011 at 11:12 PM · Hi, I'm 29 this year. Just got started with Violin 2 months ago. And I'm extremely excited in playing the instrument everyday.

Before I took up violin, I was doing photography for nearing 4 yrs. you can view my portfolio at www.flickr.com/alpha_lunas

Replies (26)

November 2, 2011 at 02:51 AM · Welcome to the world of violin playing! A most gratifying endeavor!

Smiles! Diane

November 2, 2011 at 06:35 AM · Thank you, Diane.

Yes, it is the most gratifying experience. I have never felt like this for a long long time since my first experience with photography.

I am sure that I can play good music with my Violin just as I take good pictures, with perseverance.

Do check out my photography work too, I am very proud of it :)

November 2, 2011 at 07:43 AM · Photography and the violin are very much the same endeavor. Find that same visual focus you've already trained for photography and keep it ready for your ears. The violin is an exciting, challenging pursuit; get ready to have fun!

November 2, 2011 at 08:45 AM · It's odd Emily that you should say that similar skills are needed for taking good photos and playing the violin. I have dabbled in taking photos and have had numerous people comment on how good they come out. Centered, focused, figuring out when to take the photo, etc. All of it seems to come naturally to me, much like playing the violin! So far, I have surprised numerous people after I play and tell them that I've only been playing 1.5 years! I'm already 2/3rds of the way thru Suzuki book 3 and already playing 3 octave scales!

November 2, 2011 at 12:19 PM · I assure you that you'll enjoy the journey of playing the violin.

I wish you well!

November 3, 2011 at 12:44 AM · Emily: Thank you for the encouragement. Acts I've read yr comment, I'm so charged up :)

Tammy: I hope to be like you. Maybe I'm just as talented as you. Hahaha

Franco: Yes yes & Yes! No doubt :)

I hope I can share a video of myself playing soon. At the moment, I can play Ode to Joy and some other simple folk songs.

November 3, 2011 at 01:33 AM · how I miss Singapore shopping! Have fun with the violin.

November 3, 2011 at 06:35 AM · Thank you Mendy.

Yes, Singapore is a shoppers' paradise :)

March 22, 2012 at 10:20 AM · Hi All,

It's been months since I last posted.

I would like to share a video of myself playing after 5 months.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruDNp7uyswk

This is a song Teresa Teng and titled 'I only care about you' (????).

March 22, 2012 at 12:13 PM · Do you have a teacher?

March 22, 2012 at 01:27 PM · Kristian: Yes. Why did you ask? :)

March 22, 2012 at 03:55 PM · Your doing great!!! You are definitely on the right track and you have yourself a very good teacher. It's nice to see this. You need to get your chin rest and shoulder rest right, it looks uncomfortable.

March 22, 2012 at 09:03 PM · @Yong Xin Yaw: do you still press your bow that hard if you play near the frog?

[edited] sorry, haven't finished my words, it was midnight when i posted this xD anyway, your video was posted on february 14th so I think you've improved, even if it's just a little. in the vid you've posted I heard scratchy sound every time you played near the frog. But overall, for 5 months you played good, just need to relax :D last time my teacher told me,"don't torture your violin!" LOL

March 23, 2012 at 06:02 PM · I asked because this is most important. As long as you and your teacher "fit" together (by the way he teaches and the way you learn) there is nothing to worry about.

March 31, 2012 at 01:31 PM · @Charles: Thank you for the encouragement. This is the second shoulder rest that I have tried. It's the Wolf FOrte Secondo. I guess, I will try out if I need to change the chin rest.

@Vanessa Johan: Yes, I do. Thank you for pointing that out. I always find that when I play near the frog..I always get squeaking sound. I guess, i need to relax more at the segment. Thank you for the advice.

@Kristian Rereth - Thank you for the advice :)

March 31, 2012 at 01:33 PM · By the way, I have new video. Just recorded a moment ago :)

PLease feel free to share your feedback with me. It's my 6.5 months into violin. Very excite!!!

This is the link to the video.

March 31, 2012 at 01:52 PM · Yong,

Smile when you are playing! It sounds crazy, but my daughter's teacher makes her do it and it works. Especially in the first Suzuki tunes. Once you get to the second and third books, memorize the music and then concentrate on bowing, which is what truely makes the music "yours" and entertaining!

PS - I'm 54 and started two years ago!

March 31, 2012 at 03:19 PM · Gross critiques:

1. Too much bow pressure.

2. No grace note played.

3. Too slow.

4. Funny face. =D

5. Haven't finished listening to it, I still love my ears, ehehehehehe....

Building critiques:

1. Listen to the actual recording. I meant there's an MP3 for this. I don't know if it's legal or not if I send you the mp3 of the whole suzuki book 1 by email.

2. Relax!

3. Don't ever get easily satisfied of what you're playing, you always can do it better =)

4. Don't give up!

5. If you don't know how to play grace note, ask ur teacher, or browse youtube. Also can listen to the actual tempo.

There are good references on youtube, like: ProfessorV, Allysonviolinstudio, violinlab by beth blackerby.

Good luck! =)

April 1, 2012 at 03:15 PM · Mark: It's not that I don't want. I can't...too stressful..to be playing in front of the camera. Thank you for the feedback, it is very helpful. Yes, I will memorize and make it my own!

Vanessa: Yes, thank you for the comment. I just realized that the awful sound is caused by putting too much pressure on the bow. It's okay, I can listen to the tunes via youtube.

I have loaded another video of myself playing Minuet 2 - Video Link

I think it is tougher than Minuet 3; as the first segment requires crossing of 3 strings ;)

April 1, 2012 at 07:33 PM · you're absolutely right there! I meant, when I first learned those pieces I found minuet 2 also tougher than minuet 3. I didn't like minuet 2 that much, but I did like it when I learned to play Gavotte - Gossec which was tougher for me.

anyway, don't you find the finger patterns on suzuki book so disturbing? (those numbers above the notes, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4). I found it so disturbing, didn't like it. And I still don't. :/

April 1, 2012 at 10:18 PM · I don't know which one is uploaded earlier: minuet 2 or minuet 3. But I enjoy your minuet 2 more, even though it's indeed tougher =D Your bow pressure is reduced.

June 2, 2012 at 02:52 PM · Thank you for the kind comment, Vanessa.

June 2, 2012 at 02:54 PM · I have uploaded another video of my 7.5 months in play 3 weeks ago.

I played Bourree - http://youtu.be/8X6hzINTGFI

June 3, 2012 at 01:12 AM · There is a Facebook group for adult starters here if you are interested.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/119127121451810/

July 28, 2012 at 05:21 AM · It's been 10mths now since I got started.

Share with you guys my rendition of Bethena - http://youtu.be/8NzfOoQRwO4

July 28, 2012 at 01:54 PM · Yong Xin, what's the jazz scene like in Singapore? Better than Shanghai?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe