Vision Titanium Solo's or Titanium Orchestra's

October 31, 2011 at 03:26 PM · Hello good folks at V.com. haven't been here for a while, looks like a lot of very interesting topics on the board. A simple request. I'm in love with these strings and went thru about 3 acoustics until I found a fiddle that performed really well with them. Just curious if any one else feels the same way, and would love to hear from any Titanium fans. Or, if you've tried 'em and decided not to stick with them. Could describe the violin whether bright/dark - focused/rich (anywhere inbetween)that they did or did not work on. Thank You.

Replies (55)

October 31, 2011 at 09:51 PM · Here is a "scale" for infeld strings https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment?ui=2&ik=2bc7848a28&view=att&th=1333bcf0904ce8c2&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P8usTskF61GXz-SuGZDo9r4&sadet=1320097884790&sads=d69ypD1vZr1BkruzbbSdAVHjyjw&sadssc=1

November 1, 2011 at 03:22 AM · One personal experience: I tried a set of them a few years ago. They were so annoyingly awful on my violin I took them off, gave them to a friend who likes them, and invested in a set of something else. They were loud, harsh, and angry-sounding. My violin likes Infeld Reds (my favorite), Evahs, or Tonicas. Obligatos were the other extreme, just dead on my violin, although they are my favorite viola string.

November 1, 2011 at 06:40 AM · Thank you for the reply Lisa. Always interesting how different fiddles like and don't like different strings. For me, the reds would be a bit too dark/warm. Evah's are usable for my fiddle, but they would lean toward too agressive. The Titaniums are thinner guage (which I like) than both the Reds & Evah's, and the G & D play more like "melody" strings than "bass" strings imo, more similar to Tonicas in that respect, which I believe are even a bit thinner than the visions. But can you remember specifically which ones you tried? Was it the "regular" visions, the Solo's or the Orchestras?

November 1, 2011 at 01:13 PM · I tried the Solo strings a couple years ago and removed them after a couple weeks. My instrument is naturally dark and rich sounding, but the Solo strings had no tone color at all. No matter how much phrasing I tried, the strings just didn't respond and everything sounded the same. They just seemed to drain all tone color from my violin. Despite being named "solo" my violin couldn't project very well with them (which was a shock because my violin tends to dominate others in my orchestra).

I tried Infeld Reds and liked them overall, but the undertones were so complex on my violin that the open strings sounded out of tune even when they were in tune. I now use Obligatos and love them.

November 1, 2011 at 04:17 PM · I like Vision Solos very much. They work well on all my violins despite their being so different from one another. I find them to have a lot of resonance, focus and color. I haven't found a big difference between the Solos and the Titanium Solos - except in price.

November 1, 2011 at 05:14 PM · I was not happy with the Solos on my dark/rich violin. I actually found them difficult to play (I'm an intermediate player). But I only fully realized this when I replaced them with Evah's recently. The Vision's were more metallic sounding on my violin and did not bring out as many overtones.

November 1, 2011 at 06:37 PM · this is interesting, Wayne & Ophelia have dark/rich violins... visions not working. My fiddle would lean more toward focused/sweet. I can get a "bigger" sound with either Obligato's or Evah's, but I like the focus of the Titaniums.

Raphael: I would be interested to know how many violins you have strung with Solo's. Both Infeld blue & regular vision solo's are listed close to the brilliant side on the string packs, whereas the Titanium Solo's & Orchestras are only slightly above half towards brilliant,a fairly significant difference I think. The titan solo's are at 50.6 lbs.tension, the titan Orchs 48.6 lbs. right now I'm using a solo G & Orch D&A. don't like any of the vision E's, using a Jargar Forte or Zyex E's

still welcoming any further comments on these. Thank you.

November 1, 2011 at 10:12 PM · I have 12 violins (4 of which are for sale, btw) strung primarily with Vision Solo. These include rich, dark vlns. and bright, brilliant ones. In the past I used to like the darker Reds to balance brighter instruments and Blues to balance darker ones. But I find that the Solos seem to combine the best of both, firing at the bass, middle and treble ends of the spectrum. Further in the past I was a gut man, and still think that Pirastro Pasiones are very nice. But they take a lot longer to break in and don't last as long. I never cared for the basic Dominants, finding them rather colorless. I find Evah Pirazzi to be strong but a bit stiff and unyeilding. I think Vision Solo E's are fine but over-priced. Westminster and Corelli are good, too.

But you never know what is going to work best on a particular fiddle. It's the instrument plus the player's taste and playing style.

November 1, 2011 at 10:23 PM · To Raphael: I'm a bit embarrassed! I didn't know I was talking to a top classical soloist. I just chop away at the blues. I just listened to your performance of the meditation from the opera Thais by Massenet on youtube. Absolutely beautiful. I would dearly love to know if you were using the visions for this performance and on what violin. I hope you will humor me with this request.

woops! I was typing this post and then noticed your reply. You've made my day - week - month!

November 2, 2011 at 01:30 AM · I really liked the Titanium Solos on my violin. I would buy them again, but currently I've settled on Warchal Brilliants. I can get two sets of them, for a just little more than the Titanium Solos.

Try the Titanium Solos. If they work on your instrument, you may really like them.

Oh, -- you might want try another E. Pirastro gold, or Goldbrokat might work.

November 2, 2011 at 02:56 AM · Thanks for the compliment Dave! I did that Meditation performance about 6 years ago. I don't remember what strings I was using then, but the violin is a beautiful Chinese copy of the "Hellier" Strad, which I still have.

November 2, 2011 at 05:52 AM · @ John: yes, I've had a set of T-solos on for quite a while. I knew that the T-orchestras were listed as easier playability (2 lbs. less tension) with the sound & focus listings exactly the same, imo the T-orch's maybe just a tad richer. So I tried a set of T-orchs, thought the G was just a bit unfocused so went back to the T-solo G. everything seems to be working very well now.

over the past 2 years (after getting back into acoustic from electric) I've tried 95% of the complete lines of D'Addario, Thomastik Infeld (including steels) & Pirastro, and all this over 4 different acoustics, and fortunately along with the titaniums, finally finding a fiddle I really like.

It's been quite a journey.

November 2, 2011 at 04:24 PM · I lived in a HOT!!! weather and I have tried them all from regular thomastik to Evah Pirasi. The best combination on my 100yrs old handmade violin is Hill's E violin and Red vision Thomastick. In my opinion remember not all womas used the same underware as mens also the same happends to the violin. I have a phrase I dont want to hurt anyone" Violins are like womens you never know into what mood are they" LOL

November 2, 2011 at 04:29 PM · I contacted the US Thomastik representative, and he said that Peter Infeld and Vision Solo are supposed to be the longest lasting Thomastik strings... anybody have any experience with this? As a broke college student, I need to make more economical decisions from now on, even if it makes it harder for me to produce my best sound (which I get from using a mix of Dominants and other strings.. unfortunately the Dominants don't last too long for me).

November 2, 2011 at 06:12 PM · Re: longevity of TI vision solos...

They lasted a long time for me. I was very pleased with how long they held up.

November 2, 2011 at 06:42 PM · John: I agree, I think the T-solo's last long.

Brian: I might caution you about the Titaniums, seems those who like them like them a lot, those who don't... don't. BUT, I tried some Peter Infelds a couple of months ago, been curious about them for a couple of years. I think they're pretty good, they remind me of more powerful more colorful Dominants, smooth playing. Only played 'em for about an hour and took 'em off. I won't be using them as I prefer the Titaniums much more. I can mail these to you for free if you like. Send me an address, not sure whether that would link to my email thru v.com or what? or if you want to post your address on this thread?

November 2, 2011 at 09:00 PM · That'd be super awesome! Thanks! I'll private message you. I currently use the Peter Infeld G (which I find to be substantially different from the Dominant G) with the Dominant A and D. I've been wanting to try the rest of the set but I didn't really want to spend the money.

I tried the Vision Titanium Solo a long time ago, on my old violin... I thought they were quite good, but I was a very different player back then.

November 2, 2011 at 10:43 PM · no prob Brian, they're just going to sit in the drawer and rust anyways. Let me know what you think of them. You'll hafta find a sleeve for that Platnium Plated E. I use an A sleeve for my Jargar Forte E and I took the PI E sleeve off.

@ Pedro: we all know that the violin can be a demanding Mistress, especially if you don't give her enough attention. but she can be very sweet if you treat her right, yes?

November 3, 2011 at 12:13 AM · I've used plain Visions, vision ti, and vision solo. I liked all of them but liked Reds better....then I tried Peter Infeld and I LOVED them, so did my fiddle! I've had a set(PI) on now since last Dec. 5 and they still sound great. So IMHO they have a long life.

I watched Chee Yun perform with the Nashville Symphony last year and was able to get her autograph and a picture with her! Whew!! She told me that she was using Vision Solos on her Strad.

November 3, 2011 at 12:18 AM · My violin (10 years old) is on its way back from the maker. He had suggested I put a set of Vision Titanium Solos on it as I was having some issues with wolf tones and general playability. The strings that came with it had been on there for a couple of years although played little to none. The VTS didn't make any difference with the issues I was having so I sent it to him for examination.

The maker took the fingerboard off and did some work with it, carved a new nut and bridge, put in a new sound post, changed out the tailpiece, and changed the G,D,& A VTS strings to Pirastro Evah Pirazzis. He did keep the VTS E string in place.

I don't have enough experience with the violin or violin strings at this point in time to tell the difference between them. I do know that the VTS weren't cheap. Doubt I'll ever use those G,D, & A VTS strings again.

November 3, 2011 at 05:04 AM · vision solos on Chee Yun's Strad eh? Cool!

Now I'm wondering if anyone has bothered with the Titanium Orchestras? To reiterate: the listings on the back of the string packs (which I think are fairly accurate) say the same for both for Sound and focus, but they differ in playability and tension. T-Orchs easier playability at 48.6 lbs vs T-solos at 50.6 lbs. Does anyone actually prefer the orchs over the solos? Forgive me if I'm splitting hairs...still just curious...and thanks very much for all the replies.

November 3, 2011 at 05:06 AM · I heard they're much more comfortable to play on than many synthetics. A graduate student in my studio is trying them right now.

November 4, 2011 at 04:34 PM · As a luthier, I always come back to the Thomastik line of strings. You can find strings that give the right combination of focus - openness, darkness - brilliance on any instrument, and I find they have better dynamics than Pirastros. But it's hard to generalise on the way a specific string will work on a specific instrument. Dominants will tend towards brilliance and openness, Vision Titanium solos will be focused and powerful(but E too expensive), Infeld Red and Blue keep what they promise and Peter Infelds seems like a good universal solution and very long lasting. (but I like Warchal too, and Jargar and Hill E)

November 5, 2011 at 06:00 AM · Ulf said: >Vision Titanium solos will be focused and powerful< ...and it's the focus that I love about them. They seem so clear and pure with a beautiful singing voice.

Ulf, I found your comments as a Luthier very interesting. There are 3 violin shops in the city where I live. One strings almost all their violins with Dominants as a *standard*, one strongly favours the Pirastro lines over Infeld, and the other doesn't even stock the Vision lines as they say there is not much demand.

Very happy to have found some support for Vision Titanium here on V.com.

November 5, 2011 at 06:11 PM · Dave, I do support your choice of Vision Solos. They're an excellent choice on many violins if you have a self-confident style of playing. I still find that Dominants are hard to beat on really excellent violins, for soloists in the classical genre. But Thomastic have been successful in presenting good alternatives through the years. When it comes to Pirastros, many of my clients play on them, but my personal opinion is that Obligatos are safe but boring, and Evahs have a nice "gutsy" attack but a somewhat gritty sound with disharmonious overtones. We've had lots of problems with Evah A stings, always cured by changing to a Thomastic A. Passiones are nice strings but expensive - the A or D can snap when you least expect it, which is annoying with that price tag. Mind you, all big brands will be useful from time to time.

November 5, 2011 at 06:32 PM · The only time I tried a set of Vision Solos was on a very good contemporary instrument I had out on trial. It sounded incredible under the ear, with an extremely dark, rich tone; however, of the four violins I narrowed my instrument search down to, it fared the least well when tested in a concert hall, the overtones disappearing as one moved farther away from the player, my teacher at the time describing the tone as being "narrow."

November 10, 2011 at 11:08 PM · Brian, an extremely dark sound under the ear often means poor projection in a hall. Also a sound that is at first impressive but soon uninteresting and difficult to shape. I would have put Dominants or Warchal Brilliants on that fiddle to brighten it up. Then it might have fared better in the trial. (maybe the soundpost closer to the bridge too)

November 11, 2011 at 04:35 AM · Definitely.. I didn't have permission to change the strings on that instrument though (although I changed the strings on the other trial instruments to the combination I was using at the time). It was made by a famous American maker and I really hope that that fiddle has found a good home.

The one I ended up picking... when I at first played it for my teacher at the time, it sounded kind of bland under the ear (the strings were over a year old and had been played quite a bit) but he assured me that it was a completely different story when listening from more than five feet away. Putting on new strings completely rejuvenated the instrument under the ear (and quadrupled the sound heard out in the hall) and after I had it adjusted, I felt the sound was rather bright under the ear, but my peers told me that it had a formidable dark tone when heard from a distance. Too bad I'm still not completely convinced sometimes...

Whoops, just went totally off topic.

In my limited experience with newly made instruments, Dominants seem to have brought the best out of them, with strings from the Vision line sounding relatively hollow.

November 27, 2011 at 08:02 AM · As a violist, I have found that the Vision Solos work excellently on many instruments. I have heard less great things about the violin strings. For me, at least, they last a long time but when they die, they die HARD. I took my viola to my luthier because I thought the sound post had been bumped. He said I that I just needed new strings. If you try them, keep track of when you change the strings so that if one day your instrument sounds TERRIBLE, you'll know to try changing strings.

August 11, 2013 at 02:54 PM · DOES ANYBODY KNOW:

How to figure out by color code the difference between Vision Titanium Solo and Vision Solo. Or are they both the same? Thanks, Bruce

August 11, 2013 at 03:51 PM · Bruce, look in the pegbox - Vision Titanium Solo will have a black band on the silk lapping, whereas Vision Solo will have a light brown band. They are very different strings - Vision Solo has a slightly higher tension E that is tin plated, along with two D strings to choose from (the silver D is the same tension as the Vision Titanium Solo D, whereas the aluminium D is slightly lower in tension), and a lower tension G string.

In my opinion, the Vision Solo is a big improvement over the Vision Titanium Solo, although of course this depends on the violin and also on the player.

August 11, 2013 at 04:51 PM · Thanks Darrett. That answers my question. There seem to be so many varieties of Vision strings floating around at many different prices it becomes confusing. I note that some of the bigger dealers like Shar and Southwest strings do not even list the Vision solos.

August 11, 2013 at 05:32 PM · Actually, Shar does stock the Vision Solos - I cannot speak for Southwest Strings, though. They were popular for a bit after Glenn Dicterow and Hilary Hahn endorsed them in Strings Magazine (although they both stuck with Dominants, with Dicterow later switching to PIs). Sarah Chang uses the Vision Solo A.

Apparently they're extremely popular in Finland - one of my teachers was playing a concerto with the Finnish Radio Symphony, and his usual combination of Dominant, PI, and Jargar strings had gone dead, and so he went (on the recommendation of a few of the orchestra members) to what was supposedly one of the most popular violin shops in Helsinki to buy new strings - and apparently all they had were Evah Pirazzi, Obligato, and Vision Solo (which was what he went with).

August 13, 2013 at 11:31 AM · Darett or anyone, How do you characterize the difference between Vision Solo and Vision Titanium solo? Thanks, Bruce

August 14, 2013 at 03:32 AM · Vision Solo seems to have a broader sound, closer to that of Dominants rather than the clean focus of Vision strings. Vision Titanium Solo seems to be a more focused, higher tension string that works well for adding clarity to a violin, but some people might find it to be a bit too linear sounding. I know one shop that puts mostly Dominant and PI strings on its higher end violins, but it puts Vision Solo A strings and Vision Titanium Solo G and D strings (usually with a Lenzner Goldbrokat E) on its lower end violins in order to overcome their usual shortcomings (not enough power on the lower end, and a thin sounding A string).

My personal preference is for the Vision Solo; I prefer the sound and I also find it to be longer lasting. I like the A string in combination with the Peter Infeld G string and aluminium D string; I find the Vision Solo G string to lack core on my violin.

However, I'm usually using Dominants (with the aluminium D, not the silver D) with a Jargar forte E, or the PI set (with aluminium D).

August 20, 2013 at 01:06 AM · Darrett,

I tried the Vision Solos on my Brothers Amati and initially they sounded better than the Vision Titanium solos, but when settled in sounded dull and were not responsive enough.

My guess is that the Vision Solo was made to play with more "modern" violins because they don't have the "twangy" sound of the Titaniums. Any ideas about this? Bruce

August 20, 2013 at 02:27 PM · My teacher thought the Vision Solo strings worked pretty well on his circa 1600 Gaspar da Salo! (Except for the G string, which he didn't like so much, and the E string, which he didn't try).

The defining characteristic of the Vision Titanium Solo is that they have an extremely hard edge and a lot of focus to the sound, which some people feel is done at the expense of tone color, whereas the Vision Solo would be much more even and balanced throughout.

Have you tried Peter Infeld strings?

October 3, 2013 at 07:37 PM · The lower strings are pretty great. I had not used these Vision Titanium Solo in over seven years, and remember having liked them back then. I am using them as "replacements" (!)for Eudoxa "Stiff" strings-the steel A is an Eudoxa-Chromcor, and a "goldsteel" Olive E-excellent focus for all strings on all positions, and a full sound.

They aren't as rich as the Eudoxa-and I wasn't expecting them to be. HOWEVER, in my experience (and most probably because the way these strings interact with my violin + the setup) the "one-dimensional" quality many complain about is not true-these are not "metallic" sounding or devoid of warmth at all.

It is worth to be noted that my violin had some slightly open seams glued last week, and it was already sounding pretty great with the Eudoxas afterwards. I just wanted a bit more "edge", and risked the Titanium Solo based on my sole good experience with them many years back. I couldn't believe it-these strings may indeed be a better fit than my beautiful Eudoxas overall, considering who I am now as a player and my current violin's setup (which isn't to say that they are 100% gut-like.) The sound is loud indeed, but also full, and even the chromcor sounds "rich" and not very much steel-like. The focus is wonderful, and the tone so even, and a great match with the aforementioned steel strings.

Yep, sounds incredible, but true-these now "old tech" strings (vs their newer tech Vision Solos and PIs) were (are) pretty great if they match your violin. Don't hesitate to try them, as they are not really as expensive than the Pirazzi's if you take the Titanium-coated E out of the equation (which you probably should). The tension feels just slightly above medium, but not as tense as Pirazzi or even heavy gauge synthetics-meaning, they really are easy to play and bow.

I can see how many a super bright violin won't appreciate these strings (my violin itself is not lacking in high frequencies, but has also a lot of depth, and is only loud, not super loud-it's not brassy or too-bright sounding.) It is important to realize, however, that they sizzle incredibly until they stabilize (which won't take that long, if not even two days); their "normal" tonal quality can then be more easily appreciated. From some comments elsewhere I've noticed some people didn't give them time to develop/properly stretch (then again, they may not be a good fit for some players/instruments.) They are not boring or "monochrome"-sounding, despite their (welcome) edge-they actually offer quite a full, although very focused tone. You can still color all you want with your bow-arm technique, vibrato, etc. (again, of course these are not as rich as Eudoxas, but I feel their great qualities are worth the difference). Unless your violin has tons of upper mid-range-or you absolutely loathe a focused tone-these may actually be a good fit for many violins out there, and at least worth an honest try.

Time will decide, but I may as well just keep using these lower strings for a while instead of wound-gut-the only disadvantage so far is that the tension is not as low as comfy tension wound-gut strings (medium tension, for instance), but since they are so playable and speak so easily anyway, this isn't an issue for me (I was using the thickest Eudoxas, so the tension feel is just very slightly above that, if not identical). The intense focus and full resonance are quite remarkable... all strings ring beautifully now, without any harshness or tonal beauty loss... and further, they make me ignore the fact they are not even gut strings.

In short, there IS edge with these Titanium Solo strings, but there is also fullness. Not "junk", "tinny sounding" strings at all, IME and my violin's as well. Tension may be an issue with some instruments and players, BUT they are not really THAT much "high tension", especially vs some other popular strings out there.

(Having said that, Eudoxas are still wonderful wound-gut strings, and don't deserve the poor reputation they sometimes get with some players. I even would say... if you want "full warmth" just go for gut strings rather than trying to replicate such warmth with synthetics. Synthetics can be very warm, but they are not gut strings-warm or as rich, and in general, I don't like how many supposedly "warm" synthetics usually sound vs their gut counterparts-to each their own, of course!)

In summary:

Vision Ti Solo G

Vision Ti Solo D

Eudoxa-Chromcor (Steel) A

Stark Olive "Goldsteel" E

I wonder how this set would interact with a Jargar Forte instead. I love heavy Westminsters too. The Olive above fits so perfectly with the Chromcor A (as well as the whole set, to be honest), though, and almost never "whistles" for me. however, I imagine the Jargar will probably have a bit more of a good, even more brilliant edge.

Feel free to disagree with me, of course. :) We need not like or prefer the same things in our violins, music, and/or life.

October 4, 2013 at 05:47 PM · My line-up for the last few months on my 200yr old German violin (which I use for all my orchestral playing), is:

Vision Ti Solo G, D, A

Goldbrokat Stark E

Basically, unlike previous setups I've had over the years, I see no reason to change this one.

One thing I notice is how similar the Vision A is to the Eudoxa covered gut A, both in playing and tone. Another thing is that the Vision Ti Solo G is the first synthetic where I can really show the resident wolf who is boss. I noticed this especially in a workshop last weekend on the Bartok Concerto for Orchestra - those very high passages on the G. Previously, it was only covered gut that could see off the wolf!

October 4, 2013 at 05:53 PM · That's interesting, Trevor - I remember you used to be an advocate of having the lowest possible tension on the G string; the Vision Titanium Solo G and D are two of the highest tension synthetic G and D strings on the market, second I believe only to Evah Pirazzi.

October 4, 2013 at 10:25 PM · I decided to put Vision Titanium Solo on my strong, full sounding, complex-toned Italian violin (c. 1832, possibly by Giovanni Dollenz) about 3 weeks ago. They were to replace Corelli Cantiga mediums, which sounded very good but died after 4 weeks, becoming quite dull sounding.

At first the VTS had a metallic edge, but I could hear that the tone was full bodied underneath the "hiss". After about a week, the tone had mellowed out a bit, and carried very strong overtones. I was seriously impressed - I had only achieved this depth of sound previously with Infeld Red, but Vision Titanium Solo had all of the complexity and more dynamic range. I think it's the best string set I've tried so far. But one word of caution.

Some people have talked about the E string being a bit problematic. Personally, I LOVED the sound of the E. It sung like a bell, was powerful and above all it was SMOOTH sounding. And it felt very pliable under the fingers. It snapped on me last night after just 3 weeks. I didn't have any spare Es except a Hill Heavy E, which had begun to rust. I had no choice because I had an audition today, so I put it on, and now I find there is a big imbalance in the set. The tension of the E is more and it is very meaty sounding whereas the Titanium, while powerful, was more complex and sweeter. I don't currently like the tone transition between the A and the E on my violin, but I can't afford a new VTS E, because they cost something like £13!

Being on a student budget, I ordered a set of Tonicas as my next set, along with 2 Kaplan Golden Spiral Es. I can't afford another set of VTS yet, but when I can I'll be buying them again.

I think Infeld Red work best for my instrument for orchestra and "violin 2" chamber music, while VTS are perfect for solo work and "violin 1" chamber music.

October 4, 2013 at 10:25 PM · sorry for double post!

October 4, 2013 at 10:37 PM · Darrett, that's true, but the feel, response and even the tone of the Visions on my old instrument feel closer to gut than I would have expected (although it is clearly not a 100% gut sound or behavior), and are an acceptable alternative. The manufacturers have evidently been up to some clever tricks.

I haven't tried the Visions on my Jay Haide, and probably won't because I use that fiddle almost exclusively for folk music. Tziganes fit the bill nicely in that area.

October 5, 2013 at 07:07 PM · I use Vision Titanium Solo strings on my violin which has a richer deeper tone. I find they complement my instrument well, work really well for solo playing and make your violin project nicely. My only complaint is that they don't last as long, usually after five months they are done (Grad music student).

October 5, 2013 at 07:09 PM · I use Vision Titanium Solo strings on my violin which has a richer deeper tone. I find they complement my instrument well, work really well for solo playing and make your violin project nicely. My only complaint is that they don't last as long, usually after five months they are done (Grad music student).

November 8, 2013 at 11:37 PM · Just some sonic things I noticed with a Kaplan Golden Spiral Heavy E in place of VTS E - the upper register sounded more aggressive than with VTS E and not as sweet as before, but the overall projection of the set increased. Was certainly a better match than the Hill Thick E. The strings kept their volume and dynamic range but the D string started to sound false a couple of days ago, and the A was beginning to unravel a little so I decided to change them. I've had them on for about 10 weeks, which is pretty much the longest I've ever had a string on my instrument, and they are my new favourite for solo playing. I'd definitely try them again at some point. For now I have Tonicas with the heavy Golden Spiral E from before, and they sound just fine as they always do. It's a nice "filler" set and I use them often but I will return to Infeld Red or VTS when my student budget stretches that far!

February 15, 2014 at 10:42 PM · I use vision titanium solo G,D,A with a Jargar Forte E. This combination works for me. I have tested until now , PI, Evahs, warchal amber, dominant (silver d). With VTS i tested many e strings. Hill,goldbrokat, super flexible e chrome wounded, pirastro no1, jargar forte e. Super flexible just never whistled and has a good tone but it doesnt come with a loop or removable ball. So i stuck with Jargar forte e which is the best e i ever try, and 99% no whistle.

February 16, 2014 at 10:07 AM · wow, haven't looked in on V. Com in a while, and I was surprised to see this old thread that I started waaay back in 2011.

Yes, I was big fan of these strings, My current fiddle can't take 'em tho. and seems to like Evah Golds. I'm thinking the Gold E string might be better on a different fiddle than mine. but I put a Pro-Arte E on, as it's a bit rounder and smoother and prolly a little louder than a Evah Gold E.

seeing this thread again makes me nostalgic for my

Vision Titanium Solos.

I also found that I liked PI's quite a bit. I may put them on when busking season begins. I also like the Jargar Forte a lot, but it's too much string for my fiddle.

February 15, 2015 at 03:31 PM · Vision Ti Orchestra could be my favorite for the time being...To be honest, it is by far the most consistent string set it terms of quality and durability, no matter which of my violins had them...

They are now again in my primary violin, and this very set has been "tortured enough" to be strung and restrung in many violins just to see what happens...I know this is not a good practice, and of course I am not doing this all the time, but I just couldn't throw them away, since they have a lot of life colour and power left -of course I cleaned them- . They also matched my main violin better than evahs, evah pirazzi golds, obligatos, dominants, tonicas, (and they were more consistent than violinos and pro artes, and all the rest mentioned above in other violins)

If I had to add something, it would be only praise for their versatility. They respond to every different kind of bow stroke, capable of producing every sound, from a mellow warm one to metallic icy stuff, if needed...What is more, is that when the E string (although marvelous, the others of the set outlive it) was changed for a Gold label wondertone E, they became even rounder.

Last, I have also experimented with different rosins, and they were by far the set that would change "more" when a different rosin would be used...

They are powerful, elegant, polite and full at the same time...and in lower tention than many of their competitors...a big A+ from me....

February 21, 2015 at 04:41 PM · My experience with Titanium Orchestra strings last fall was dismal, at best. After installing and breaking in these strings, I couldn't play in tune! Son file exercises revealed that even modest amounts of weight on open or stopped strings took the pitch up at least a half step.

February 21, 2015 at 04:59 PM · At least a half step? Anne that's weird for synthetics, when for steel core it could be common...maybe you got a faulty set or something? Or does this happen with other brands as well?

February 22, 2015 at 03:10 PM · I've tried all sorts of strings over the years, but never a set as unstable, and even unplayable, as the TOs. It might have been a "bad batch", but as the G, D, and A strings were all out of sorts, I somehow doubt it.

Horses For Courses; different strings for different players, violins, playing styles, and bows. But whatever the brand, the strings should at least be playable.

Glad the TOs work for you. Maybe my experience was a total fluke...

February 23, 2015 at 06:01 PM · "Horses For Courses; different strings for different players, violins, playing styles, and bows. But whatever the brand, the strings should at least be playable"

Totally agree...but I have really no idea of what could have happened in this case ...Seems as if we all have at least one string set experience that was a total disaster I guess

Anyway, I was just curious because it's a relatively low tension synthetic...but again many things can happen, even before we, the players, check a string...Manufacturing, packaging, transportation conditions...

Anne -just for the record- what would be one of your favorite strings?

February 24, 2015 at 03:26 AM · Obligato, Wondertone Solo (current use), Passione, Eudoxa, and Olive. I always use the Wondertone Gold Label E.

My violin is dark and nasally, so I get the darkest and nasaliest strings on the market. :-)

And the best horses are always Appaloosas...

February 24, 2015 at 06:54 AM · Old thread, but just wanted to add that I never had a bad experience with the Titanium Solo strings, not finding them as harsh/one-dimensional as it's usually stated-it's just a violin and/or personal preference/playing style thing. They are edgy indeed, but not nasty or horrible sounding. The only bad thing I have to say is that they eventually lose all that attractive shine-and even then, some other synthetics I have used before did seem to "die out" faster. Not even the feel under the hand and bowing response were truly bad, in my personal and humble experience.

Quality strings provide quality sound, and there are quite a number of them-it's just a matter of what works for each player and instrument. Not even a high price tag will warrant that a specific string choice must be better than a less expensive one for someone/some violin out there-as obvious as that may be, and granted that the string is well-made to begin with.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe