Tweak to the discussion board software

October 27, 2011 at 06:30 PM · Hi everyone,

In order to make the discussion board more mobile-compatible, we've switched back to the old input forms for the discussion board.

Many of you might not even notice the switch, but we're back to using a "plain text" window for discussion board input. That means that you'll have to use the HTML code for hyperlinks, images and YouTube embeds, if you wish to include those in your post. The input window will no longer automatically pick up text style and links pasted from Microsoft Word or other word processing programs.

As a result, you now should be able to post to the discussion board from iPhones, iPads and other smartphone devices, as well as from your computer. The same changes will be coming to the blog section later this afternoon.

Thanks for reading Violinist.com.

Replies (21)

October 27, 2011 at 07:07 PM · Not a problem for this v.com member.

I'm sending this reply -- partly as a test message to see if the plain-text system will allow us to re-edit posts we've already published in plain text.** As I recall, we couldn't do that when I joined 6 years ago -- we had the old system then.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

On the subject of discussion board software: I'm also wondering what the prospects are for my suggestion, one I sent privately earlier this year, of limiting individual messages to 2,200 characters. That's equal to about 1 page in MS Word, Courier New-12, 6-inch line, default margins -- more than enough room to make a decent point.

Some authors post what amount to Grandma and Grandpa's Bedtime Stories. On and on they go, big paragraph after big paragraph -- ugh! A lot of us don't feel like digging through them. A reasonable message size limit could well force these writers to think through their posts more carefully before offering them -- not just spill out whatever comes to mind at the moment.

**EDIT: Yes -- it works.

October 27, 2011 at 07:37 PM · Sending this test reply from my iPhone

October 27, 2011 at 07:41 PM · That is cool. It worked. Just fyi, I was already using my iPhone to post responses. Here's what I was doing.

- Draft a message as an iPhone note

- Highlight the entire note and "Copy" it to the clipboard

- Click reply on the v.com thread of interest

- Paste the note in the reply box

The problem with the previous interface was the iPhone was not recognizing the reply box as a text edit field, so it was not popping up the typewriter for typing into the field. But if you did the steps above, it worked fine. I have already posted many replies using my iPhone.

October 28, 2011 at 04:49 AM · Thanks! Much easier. I was able to do it before, just has to press "source" every time and things went funky often. This might be less good for my time management tho ;)

October 28, 2011 at 02:59 PM · Bless you! I have, for the first time, been able to post from iPod Touch. Since that's my main tool for v.com'ming, I can lurk less.

Not that anyone wants to read what I have to say. :-)

October 28, 2011 at 03:20 PM · Awesome! 99% of the time, I am on this site with my iPhone! I wasn't tech-smart enough to work around the system before. Thank you for helping us mobile users out!

October 29, 2011 at 03:02 AM · Yay! I use Opera as my browser, and I can finally make posts without changing to Internet Exploder!

October 29, 2011 at 09:15 PM · FYI, I'm still squashing a couple bugs and typos here and there, so if you encountered anything amiss in posting the past day, my apologies.

October 30, 2011 at 01:40 PM · Hi. I tried adding a link, but the

October 30, 2011 at 03:20 PM · Test link, Chaconne performed by Stern:

October 30, 2011 at 03:21 PM · Didn't work. I think I like it better the old way. It was a lot easier to insert links, and they actually worked.

October 30, 2011 at 05:08 PM · SH, is this the test link you were trying to add?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

EDIT: When you're on RESPOND page, copy and paste HTML model in second paragraph of instructions -- above message box -- everything from opening < mark through final > mark at end of paragraph.

Then, between the two " " marks, substitute whatever URL you need.

Finally -- right after "> -- insert whatever text you need for a clickable link.

Hope this helps -- it works fine for me.

October 30, 2011 at 06:20 PM · It keeps eating my message! Everything after the attempt at adding the link (as suggested).

trying again.

Ok...it worked that time. Thanks!

October 31, 2011 at 01:24 AM · You can always embed. :) This is a good video performance to do so I must say.

October 31, 2011 at 01:36 AM · Yup, that's the link -- probably my all time favorite violin performance. It's amazing the sound he gets out of the violin. It's almost as if his fiddle is turbo charged.

November 2, 2011 at 06:21 PM · I believe I've mastered the art of including links (and embedding images shouldn't be a problem), but I'm concerned that underlines, italics and bold no longer seem to be possible with the new system – underlining would have been useful for emphasizing a couple of words in a recent post.

November 2, 2011 at 07:52 PM · Trevor -- and anyone else -- to start italics, underline, or boldface:

< i >

< u >

< b >

But write the expressions with no spaces. To end:

< / i >

< / u >

< / b >

Again, no spaces. I had to put the spaces in for illustration's sake -- to keep the system from swallowing up the whole phrase.

November 2, 2011 at 10:30 PM · It would be nice to have our cake and eat it too. C'mon Robert, you can do it. You have the technology and the expertise. We are counting on you.

Let us respond on our iPhones AND make it easy to insert links, vids, italics, bold, etc. Most people are not savvy enough to insert hyperlinks. It is a pain to copy and paste those youtube links, especially on a mobile device.

November 3, 2011 at 12:21 AM · Jim, my cup now runneth over!

November 3, 2011 at 03:58 AM · "Jim, my cup now runneth over!"

Yeah -- I thought it would. With your cup and all the other ones on board now, there should be quite a flood.

October 6, 2013 at 01:11 PM · Please visit my new website!

(just testing whether I can now insert links)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe