Anyone on Twitter?

October 10, 2011 at 02:22 AM ·

I just started using Twitter.  Lord help me.

Anyway, I thought it might be kind of cool for my fellow violinist.com-ers to exchange twitter user names if you have one.  Might be a fun way to get to know other violinists around the world even better!

Here's mine: @orchdork1986

I'll follow anyone who lists theirs!

EDIT:  Here's the direct profile link: http://twitter.com/#!/orchdork1986

Replies (30)

October 10, 2011 at 02:41 AM ·

No people results for @orchdork1986.

Henry_Butcher

October 10, 2011 at 02:53 AM ·

I don't know if you can search for people like that...?  Here's the direct link to the profile:

http://twitter.com/#!/orchdork1986

Sorry about that! 

From now on, everyone just list their direct profile link like I just did.  It will make it easier for people to click on.

October 10, 2011 at 02:59 AM ·

http://twitter.com/#!/Henry_Butcher

October 10, 2011 at 04:23 AM ·

I'll wait for whatever replaces whatever replaces twitter. By that time perhaps it will be useful and not so silly.

October 10, 2011 at 04:49 AM ·

Eh.  It has it's uses if used effectively.

October 10, 2011 at 05:05 AM ·

@myviolintutor

October 10, 2011 at 05:51 AM ·

god luck with that...

October 10, 2011 at 06:47 AM ·

Hi joined a couple of months ago, for a specific tweet to follow, and have promptly forgotten my name there, but I keep getting emails to tell me that people are following me on twitter, lord help them. I collected about 10 people by doing absolutely nothing.

October 10, 2011 at 08:12 AM ·

MIght make more sense to use facebook.  I'm not on twitter, I guess the name seemed just too self--predictive - and don't know what you can do there but on FB you get to see photos and circles of 'friends' (actually thats a misnomer, it really is a network device).

Anyone want to find me its the same name there DO say hello!  Are you on FB Danielle?

October 10, 2011 at 08:26 AM ·

My Twitter

You're all invited to also join my Facebook 

October 10, 2011 at 08:59 AM ·

@elise

I am on facebook.

Twitter is definitely different.  I just started using it as "me."  I have another account that I use for my writing but it's under a pen name.  I avoided Twitter like the plague for years.  I finally caved in and started investigating it a few months ago.

Someone once summed up the difference between the two for me and I thought it was a pretty good one: Facebook is for keeping track of people you know but don't really want to talk to.  Twitter is for talking to new people you really should know but don't yet.

I find that Facebook can be fun but you don't really interact with new people.  The classic example is that if a random person requested your friendship, you'd probably go "ew, no."  On Twitter, it's not only ok to follow random people, it's encouraged.  So you get the potential to reach out and chat with people that are in your same line of work.

October 10, 2011 at 09:11 AM ·

Danielle, there must be thousands with the same name as you.....And which one is you Elise?

October 10, 2011 at 02:31 PM ·

Henry - did you put Elise Stanley in the search line?  Look for the girl with the fiddle extended at right angles... ;)

October 10, 2011 at 02:33 PM ·

Danielle - I put your name into FB but only one person came up and it was certainly not you. 

re FB I use it just as you describe twitter - accept just about anyone as a friend because, as said, its really not a friend but a network device.  I keep track of friends made at summer camp and the local music community there.

October 10, 2011 at 03:57 PM ·

facebook is a fishbowl with a mirror all around. When you put a name in to search, it won't find it unless facebook feels you *ned* to find it.  I have three facebook accounts. I am not a heavy user. I made them to see how it works. And to be able to see what actually happns when you change settings.. Searching for the same person, one acount will find hte person, and another will not. Not.

FAcebok and even google have become dangerous. TEhey *look* like they are neutral, but they are not.  You are constantly looking at yourself in the mirror and don't even realize it.

Learning and using facebook is a colosal waste of time. I am sick to my stomache (which is a stomach with a stomach ache:)  thinking about even the small amount of effory I have wasted on it.

October 10, 2011 at 07:07 PM ·

Here's the FB link:  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=50400160

October 10, 2011 at 07:16 PM ·

@elise

I think maybe I'm just wary about using FB like that because I first started using it back in college when it JUST started and was only for college students.  At that time it very much was an interact with your friends only kind of deal.  But you're right, it has changed.

October 10, 2011 at 07:33 PM ·

I think the only rule is: don't put anything on the internet, least of all FB, that you don't want the whole world to see.

Most of my contacts are in the dance world, and they are very superficial ones at that.  That said, I'm not a big fan, the whole thing only works if you are superficial - write anything serious or sensible and you are likely to get shunned.  Which is why sites like this work so much better for anyone that actually wants to talk.

On FB I suppose the other place to look for V.comers is on the V.com page - trouble is it has 4.5K members!

And I just sent a friend request to Danielle - thanks for the link.

October 10, 2011 at 07:34 PM ·

One more thing: its easy to find people from the same area once you have a couple in your 'friend' list as you just note the individuals with the right name and common friends.

October 10, 2011 at 08:36 PM ·

Elise, I found you, but only through Danielle's page. I did;nt see a 'add friend button' on your page though?

October 11, 2011 at 12:32 AM ·

the add friend thing is weird now that they added the 'subscribe to' option.  Perhapsthats the same issue.

Let me see if I can see you on her page... 

There!  Got you... :)

October 11, 2011 at 07:30 AM ·

hi my personal facebok, hannah woolmer ( picture posy violin one with green dress)

fb page where you can listen to recordings concerts, hannah woolmer violinist ( stightly different posy pic stil with green dress, its a lark ascending thing)

twitter hanah woolmer prob with one of the above mentioned photos 

October 11, 2011 at 09:44 AM ·

Nice page Hanna - do you have a personal one too?

oh, found it :)

October 11, 2011 at 11:12 AM ·

my twitter account is @shaviolin
(sorry if following me make you all confuse, because many  tweets of mine is using bahasa Indonesia)

thank you :)

October 11, 2011 at 06:27 PM ·

Nice!  Everyone is followed.

October 20, 2011 at 07:47 PM ·

@bmtc1954

Sometimes I even tweet in English.

October 20, 2011 at 10:00 PM ·

You can find V.com here:

@violinist.com

I don't really update my personal Twitter, but I do the violin one on behalf of us all!

October 23, 2011 at 04:08 AM ·

violinists, would you like to follow @shaviolin (again for danielle) , please?

i've been "reset" it :)

thanks

October 23, 2011 at 10:59 AM ·

http://twitter.com/Mviolin93

I'm also new to twitter. However I belive facebook is more popular, mabe it's better... http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1032344303

Cheers

October 23, 2011 at 03:37 PM ·

I'm new to twitter as well, or rather, my violin is: @rebeccasviolin

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe