mistake

September 1, 2011 at 02:56 PM ·

made baked cauliflower for dinner tonight: broke the cauliflower up into flower-ettes and placed them in a large mixing bowl; sprinkled crushed coriander seeds over them and added a paste of mashed garlic (lots) and olive oil, flavored with crushed pepper corns and salt.  laid them flat in a baking pan, popped it into the oven for 30 minutes or so, rinsed my hands, patted them dry on the tea-towel and picked up my violin.

mistake ... should have washed my hands very t-h-o-r-o-u-g-h-l-y

Replies (21)

September 1, 2011 at 03:04 PM ·

Never mind, the good news is no vampire's going to half-hitch it.

September 1, 2011 at 04:04 PM ·

One word:

Onions.

September 1, 2011 at 04:22 PM ·

hint of garlic could be a defining factor in the "violin or fiddle?" debate.

September 1, 2011 at 09:02 PM ·

Nothin' says "Italian" like the smell of garlic and olive oil!

September 2, 2011 at 10:14 PM ·

are brit. cauliflowers diff. fr. us variety?  ours are, sadly, a dull shade of whiteish.

September 3, 2011 at 12:18 AM ·

@ john - vegetablest honky!  the recipe is delicious - the whiff garlic in the morning, however, as i pick up my fiddle, does not smell like victory

September 3, 2011 at 05:01 AM ·

My violin usually smells like snickerdoodles.  Maybe you should take up baking.

September 3, 2011 at 08:25 AM ·

snickerdoodles!!  wonder if all our fiddles reflect - to say "are enhanced by" - a national cuisine?

September 3, 2011 at 02:46 PM ·

non sequiturs - love 'em!

there's a haiku over at mandolin cafe - can't find it at the moment - that has someone sequestering themselves away to surreptitiously sniff their "f"-holes.  a defining moment

September 4, 2011 at 07:34 AM ·

Lisa: Nothin' says "Italian" like the smell of garlic and olive oil!

LOL!  Now there's a new angle the forgers haven't cottoned onto.  Violin aromafraud...

September 4, 2011 at 10:29 PM ·

hmmmm, mine smells like Merlot ...wonder what that means  :)

September 4, 2011 at 11:01 PM ·

I'd guess you've been partaking of Merlot foot baths....

September 5, 2011 at 01:54 AM ·

Better if it smells like prosecco or chianti- ups the resale value tremendously.  Merlot or beaujolais, a distant second, liebfraumilch or gewurtztraminer, you're getting down there.  Soy sauce, forget it!

September 5, 2011 at 04:46 PM ·

I eat raw onions at least once a day and it takes several hand washings to get the onion smell from my fingers. Even then it's still there but not in quantity enough to transfer to the instrument.

Never had these considerations when playing trumpet. Of course one would need to brush one's teeth after eating and prior to picking up the horn to play. Can't have a BLT clogging up the valves.

September 6, 2011 at 02:22 AM ·

I remember years ago reading an article on recorder care by Phil Levin. He said that when he was servicing an instrument he could always tell who had wine and cheese at their rehearsals.

Eew.

Actually my recorder groups always had our wine and cheese after our rehearsals.

September 6, 2011 at 09:00 AM ·

it was not my intention but it seems we're cruising the dark side here.  "you deserve a break to day - so get up and get away - to ... ???"

September 6, 2011 at 04:07 PM ·

Patrick- Years ago I was in a recorder quartet that favored Scotch.  Wonder what that does to the bore?

September 7, 2011 at 03:01 AM ·

Look at the bright side -- you may have gotten an aroma on your fiddle, but it will wear off in a hundred years or so.

Oh, :-)

September 7, 2011 at 03:41 AM ·

Now you screwed up

September 7, 2011 at 02:16 PM ·

It's not so bad, Bill. If anyone ever nicks it you'll have no trouble identifying it (and the culprit) in a police lineup. Then again, you might find it's great insurance against theft in the first place..........

You'll have to bring your innovative recipe to your next group practice and share it about if you don't want to get noticed! What about a new tune - entitled "Ode to Allium"?

This reminds me of the time we had two fairly young surprise visitors arrive with a relative one day. They live 400km away and we never have children visit so my violin, in its closed case, always sits on the spare bed. This particular day I arrived home to find them all happily ensconced in their play world on our kitchen bench with their dolls and paper and crayons and books and a messy puddle of undiluted red cordial and blobs of peanut butter (crunchy) and, oh no, my favourite violin bow soaking in the middle of it! Choking back fearful sobs and forgetting any manners I lurched into a run down the corridor to the spare room and found my baby sitting peacefully still in her (now open) case unharmed, with a partially eaten peanut butter sandwich wobbling on the chinrest.  While I was coming back to life, the youngest came to retrieve her sandwich and inform me that the velcro neck strap was too hard to undo, thank heavens! 

Their mother gave me a  friendly wave and continued with her mobile conversation, and the rather sad bow got an eventual re-hair. To this day, I can't quite do the peanut butter thing any more.

September 7, 2011 at 02:45 PM ·

Bill-There's a guy on another thread wanting to boil his violin you two should have a cook off it'll be like Iron Chef Violin Edition!

Top Chef "Strings Attached"-"Your challenge tonight is to feed a family of five but here's the catch you can only use one factory produced 1/2 size violin, and your sauce must be derived from an oil based varnish! And you only get 8 minutes...go!"

-M

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe