Let's Argue!

June 20, 2011 at 07:04 PM ·

I've always loved #3 the best. I can't support my preference with any actual facts.....but I think this concerto is often undervalued, as compared to #4 and #5.

Replies (20)

June 20, 2011 at 07:24 PM ·

Well, 3 has a special place in my musical life, because it was the first of the Mozart concertos that I did.

But best?  Hmmm -- that's a bit like asking me which of my family members I love best.  My answer: Different ones for different qualities.  So, in my book, this has to be a matter of opinion; I don't think there is a real answer.

Still, I can't just leave it there -- you've got my creative mental energies going.  For reach and endurance, I'd pick 4 and 5 over 3.  They appeal more to the adventuresome, aggressive side of me than 3 does.  1 and 2, on the other hand, have more of the buddy-buddy sound to my ear and mind.

June 20, 2011 at 11:00 PM ·

I vote for 3.  It just sounds soooo good.  5 is a brilliant piece -- no doubt.  But we are doing opinions here, so mine is 3.

June 21, 2011 at 01:16 AM ·

Jim,

All good points. I shouldn't have said "best"-- I know better than that. That was tongue-in-cheek. But favorite? I can say that!

June 21, 2011 at 01:41 AM ·

I think the opening solo to no. 5 is absolutely gorgeous.  I guess we know where my vote is then.  :) 

June 21, 2011 at 02:33 AM ·

I don't have an opinion about which piece I like, but I do find it incredibly refreshing to be arguing about something other than shoulder rests :-)

June 21, 2011 at 03:07 AM ·

Which Mozart violin concerto is best?  Why, the Sinfonia Concertante, of course.

By the way, should I use an electronic tuner to improve my deplorable intonation?

June 21, 2011 at 03:11 AM ·

I have to say that I like no. 3 the best. The Rondeau 3rd movement is just too sweet to pass up.

June 21, 2011 at 03:20 AM ·

3rd. No reason except I like it best.

June 21, 2011 at 03:21 PM ·

@ Smiley Hsu:

"I don't have an opinion about which piece I like, but I do find it incredibly refreshing to be arguing about something other than shoulder rests :-)"

A-ha! You have exposed my nefarious plot!!!

My worthless opinion about shoulder rests? Use what works for you.

June 21, 2011 at 05:23 PM ·

I've had 5 shoulder rests. Number 1 and 2 aren't even worth talking about. Number 4 was nice, but it didn't give the romantic "feel" of Number 5, nor the straightforward direct quality of Number 3. For a while I was considering not even using a shoulder rest. But then I realized that I had no place to put my shoulder, and how can you even mention "violin" without thinking "shoulder rest"?

:) Sandy

June 21, 2011 at 06:03 PM ·

La la la la la la I can't HEAR you!!!

June 21, 2011 at 06:13 PM ·

As I was about to say, I love all of the Mozart concertos, but for some reason I keep coming back to Number 4. I never get tired of it. And, Scott, check out my comment on the Francescatti discussion. I hope that it helps you to reconcile your purchase. And I do so appreciate your comments for all of these years.
Sandy

June 21, 2011 at 06:32 PM ·

My favorite is 5. Unless you use a shoulder rest with it. Then I'll take Vivaldi. :)

June 23, 2011 at 04:42 AM ·

Number 23 is my favorite.  It is usually played on a piano .

June 23, 2011 at 10:44 PM ·

I can't decide a favorite... I don't function that way... But I have decided that when I get to the point of learning a Mozart concerto, I will try all the shoulder rests until I find the perfect one for the Mozart, and put finger tapes on and practice with an electronic tuner until I play with perfect intonation! I will use the cheapest bow I can find, because bows don't make any difference. I will emulate Andre Rieu, Vanessa-Mae, and Anna Karkowska to achieve the best tone! ;)

June 23, 2011 at 11:29 PM ·

Joyce,

We are anxiously awaiting to see your performance on YouTube

June 23, 2011 at 11:33 PM ·

Joyce,

what@s this `get to ` stuff.  It`s importnat to learn the Mozart cocnertos before you are ready. 

Cheers,

Buri

June 25, 2011 at 12:27 AM ·

Depends what you mean by "best". I personally love No. 2.

June 25, 2011 at 10:47 PM ·

i like #1 (k.211) and #5 (k.219) best

June 29, 2011 at 07:12 PM ·

I have an answer. But I'd prefer not to say it, or I'd hurt the others' feelings! ;D

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe