Portland Oregon V-commy Happy Hour?

May 29, 2011 at 12:06 AM ·

Dear Portland OR area members and lurkers:

Would you like to meet your fellow v-commies and talk about all things violin? Perhaps you would like someone to play duets with or form an ensemble?  Or maybe you have an impressive collection of violins and bows that you would like to show us (You know who you are. ;) )... If you like the idea, please post here or send me a private message (Well,  now lurkers have a good reason to register... :)  ). Any suggestion on date/time and venue is also welcome.

BTW, it does not matter whether you are a regular poster or a lurker; a professional, advanced amateur or newbie -- all are welcome!

Replies (50)

May 29, 2011 at 03:48 AM ·

I am interested.

May 31, 2011 at 04:25 AM ·

Count me in! I'll be there, unless it conflicts with work (M-F schedule). Saturdays I have grandpa duty for most of the day, but with planning, I can arrange most anything.

May 31, 2011 at 02:09 PM ·

I'm in Bend! Keep me posted - just in case!

Perhaps you Portlanders want to see some sun? We could meet here in Bend!

Smiles! Diane

June 1, 2011 at 11:08 AM ·

Sure!

June 2, 2011 at 04:53 PM ·

For the date/time, I'm thinking of a Saturday/Sunday afternoon, on the weekend of 6/25 or 7/2 (Well, not sure about the latter as some people might be out of town for the Fourth of July weekend).  So if people from out-of-town coming for the Oregon Suzuki Institute or the Portland Summer Ensembles want to join us, they can.

Anyone have suggestions on the venue?  Albert suggested Kerr's or Schuback's violin shop, but I don't know if they would be willing to host this event (haven't talked to them yet)...  I was thinking more along the line of a pub or a brewery, such as Kennedy School in the NE, or somewhere in Downtown, SE or NW.  If we want to make this a real outing, we can go to Edgefield Winery in Troutdale, or any of the various wineries in the area that have family-friendly amenities, then it's a day trip that everyone can bring their family, and all will have fun...

Another idea - we can meet at Portland Summer Ensembles' final student concert in the evening of  Friday July 1, 2011, in the St Anne’s Chapel on the Marylhurst University campus, or  their faculty concert (don't know when yet) - both are free.

June 2, 2011 at 06:22 PM ·

6/25 will work; 7/2 I will not be available.

I think for the initial meeting, it should be low key; possibly a pub or venue near Kerr or Schuback, with an opportunity to tour one of them (arranged in advance, with their agreement).

I presonally like the area around Schuback's but Metrovino may be above the budget for an afternoon chat. Via Delizia?

June 2, 2011 at 10:19 PM ·

Unfortunately I’m doing a lot of business travel to Denver right now. I am back in Portland from June 11 through June 20th. I’m also back from July 1 through probably July 10, then probably back to Denver. I also owe it to my family to see them while I'm home.

Another venue possibility is the Woodstock Community Center, which is at Woodstock and about SE 43rd. We could actually get instruments out and play stuff if we wanted. I live in Woodstock so I could ask if we could use the space.

June 2, 2011 at 10:45 PM ·

I'd be interested but I'd rather it wasn't a pub or whatever because some of us are not old enough to be drinking. Besides, alcohol can't do much for intonation anyway. :)

I'm very close to Marylhurst and I'm sure they would be accommodating. And Mr. Balogh would just love something like this.

If we do go to a shop, would the activity consist of testing out various instruments together? Just curious. I'm sure whatever happens it'll be fun, but might as well go with a plan. I've never been to Schuback but I do know that David Kerr's is busy enough that they may not want to host a social hour. Who knows though. I certainly would love to do a party thing there because I need to replace my bow and I'd love some advice.

June 2, 2011 at 11:12 PM ·

I wished I still lived out there!  (pouts)  Take pictures!

June 2, 2011 at 11:28 PM ·

I'd prefer not playing; even though I often practice outside for fun, I am not very comfortable playing in front of others (grandkids excepted). I don't mind if the rest of the group decides to, but I will show up, but just not play.

June 2, 2011 at 11:52 PM ·

I've never been to Marylhurst so I'd be interested in going there. I'd also be interested in meeting Mr. Balogh, he sounds like a great person. I hope people bring their instruments, even if they don't think they want to play. You never know if you get to talking about something and you might need/want to demonstrate.

I'm also open to asking the Woodstock Community Center if people want to come to the SE.

June 3, 2011 at 12:05 AM ·

I would be interested too.  Have we decided on a date? 

June 3, 2011 at 02:36 AM ·

I'm in; either date fine here and wherever. Play or not fine...with bursitis I probably won't but have at it. :) Would be fun to meet and greet! 

June 3, 2011 at 03:26 AM ·

So, would 7/9 (Sat) or 7/10 (Sun) afternoon work for everyone?  The more people can make it the better, so please holler if it doesn't work for you.

Jonathan, could you ask Marylhurst and Mr. Balogh if they would be willing to host the event?

Terry, it might be worth asking if the Woodstock Community Center will be available as a backup plan.

If we are not going to be at a pub/restaurant, we might have to bring our own food and drinks...

Thanks everyone for your response.  This is going to be fun!

June 3, 2011 at 03:37 AM ·

That would work for me. If it is going to be in July, we could probably even call it a picnic, and have it outdoors.

June 3, 2011 at 03:15 PM ·

Keep me posted!

Smiles! Diane

June 4, 2011 at 09:43 PM ·

Hi, I should say right off the bat that I don't play. I was a lousy high school violin student  :(  but have maintained a passion for violins right up to my current tender age of 67 :)  That's why I'm on Violinist.com and got this invitation. So if I could be a "tag along", I would be interested. I still maintain the phantasy of buying another violin when I retire and see if I can be a better student than I used to be. Or at least have some fun!  Ray

June 5, 2011 at 01:45 AM ·

Roland, I'd prefer to keep things simple, as there would be too many variables to have it outdoors. Also, people may want to bring their violins, and not all violins are suitable to take outside...

Ray, of course you are welcome to join us! I'm pretty sure you can get some good advice on your next violin purchase, and you may even meet your future teacher there. :)

Thanks everyone for your responses! I am looking forward to a good turnout. So far more than 15 members have expressed interests...

It looks like it's not possible to make everyone happy with the date, so I'm resorting to democracy here. The poll is anonymous, and you don't need to be a member to vote, but I would appreciate that you vote only if you are interested in attending the event. The poll is multiple-choice, so if multiple dates work for you, please vote accordingly! Thanks!

June 5, 2011 at 04:18 AM ·

I can make all three, so I won't post so as to not skew the result.

June 5, 2011 at 04:29 AM ·

Roland, please do vote all three - it helps getting the whole picture...

June 5, 2011 at 06:04 AM ·

If it's going to happen at Marylhurst it can't happen July 9th or 10th because Mr. Balogh (and me, also) will be in Europe with the Metropolitan Youth Symphony. That said, we don't know if it's going to be then so that may not be an issue. I will email Mr. Balogh and see what he thinks.

I say bring your violin and don't feel like you have to play. And if it's a nice day outside we can move outside on the spur of the moment. And if we don't want to, that will be that!

UPDATE: Mr. Balogh has said he will check with Marylhurst at the start of the week. :)

June 6, 2011 at 01:31 AM ·

I am interested. I hope we can make this idea a reality. It would be wonderful to have a community of musicians together in an accessible venue!

June 6, 2011 at 07:17 PM ·

Thanks Jonathan!  Please keep us updated when you hear from  Mr. Balogh.

Could Diane from Bend, Christine, Jonathan, Ray and Elsie please send me a private message, so I can add you to my group mailing list for any future group communications regarding this event? I promise that your email address is safe with me and I won't misuse it, or reveal it to anyone else, but I would understand if you don't want to... It just saves me time if I don't have to send individual private messages via violinist.com...  Thanks!

So far I have not heard any suggestion about an alternative date...

I would appreciate it if everyone can vote, so I will have a better idea what date is the best.

I know it's not possible to accommodate everyone's schedule.  Hopefully if this event is successful, we will have more in the future, so those who miss out this time will be able to meet us later.

June 7, 2011 at 05:11 AM ·

Received this:

"Hi Jonathan,

I certainly can find place for a meeting. However, I would like to know
about how many people would attend?  We could even meet at my house.

Can you let me know?

Thanks,

Mr.B."

What's the number of people, five? Are we interested in Mr. Balogh's offer of using his house? (he lives in a very nice part of Lake Oswego). Or are we still wanting to shoot for holding it at Marylhurst?

For those of you who may not know, the person I am discussing is Lajos Balogh, former principal second of the Oregon Symphony. He knows everything there is to know about violin playing! He's also a very nice man and kind of looks like Einstein, so there's that. :P

June 7, 2011 at 05:56 AM ·

Jonathan, judging from the result of the poll so far, the meeting is most likely on 7/9 (or 7/10 if there is a late surge). Will you and Mr. Balogh be in town (You mentioned the MYS might be in Europe by then...) ?  Personally I'm very grateful that Mr. Balogh is willing to open his home to us. That's extremely generous of him!  As for the number of people, let's just say between 10 and 15, although I suspect if Mr. Balogh would be hosting, more people might be interested to come.  Thank you for all your communications!

June 8, 2011 at 06:12 AM ·

Very good, I will relay this. However we're going to have to pick a different day than 7/9 because on that day both I and Mr. Balogh will be sightseeing in Warsaw. The trip runs from July 7 to 19.

I also asked Lajos for dates so he may have some ideas.

June 8, 2011 at 02:20 PM ·

Thanks Jonathan!  Let's wait and hear what Mr. Balogh has to say...

June 8, 2011 at 10:35 PM ·

Joyce,

Thanks for organizing this.  Looking forward to meeting though can meet only in afternoons on dates listed.   But if I cannot make this hopefully will make the next meeting. 

Also our amateur  (intermediate level) string quartet lost our 1st violin so I am hoping to find someone who might be interested in playing with us.

Cal

June 9, 2011 at 12:57 AM ·

Very cool! I wish I could be there!

June 13, 2011 at 06:46 PM ·

Jonathan, any update from Mr. Balogh?

Laurie, we would love to have you join us. Come on, it would make a fun road trip and Portland is quite lovely this season...   :)

June 16, 2011 at 04:43 PM ·

I'm very tempted to join you for a bit, although I'm really a fiddler rather than violinist; how do you all feel about that? 

Sunday afternoon (jul 10) looks best, Saturday sort of okay, might be a bit late on Saturday.

Truman Price

Monmouth

June 16, 2011 at 04:54 PM ·

Truman,

Well, that all depends. Do you use a shoulder rest?

Just kidding, I for one would love to meet everyone.

Terry

June 16, 2011 at 05:17 PM ·

Truman,

I'm a fiddler too, so you won't be the only one there.

June 18, 2011 at 03:41 AM ·

So far Jonathan has not heard back from Mr. Balogh yet. I think we need to set a deadline to move things forward.  If we don't hear from Mr. Balogh by next Monday, then I'm afraid l'll have to look into plan B for a place to meet and set the date based on the poll result, which could mean that Jonathan will be in Europe and will not be able to join us... I feel bad if I had to do that because Jonathan has been a great help relaying messages to/from Balogh... Hopefully, we will hear from Mr. Balogh soon!

Truman, welcome! There will be other fiddlers there...  Could you vote on the dates and send me a private message so I can add your email address to the group mailing list?

Let me stress again - everyone is welcome! So please post here or send me a message if you are interested and haven't done so.

June 18, 2011 at 06:51 AM ·

Well, I don't think there is a rule we can only get together once; I think we can plan something by Monday, and then plan a second event!

June 22, 2011 at 04:46 AM ·

Terry Hsu has generously offered to let us meet at his house (Thanks Terry!) So the meeting will be at 11:30 on Saturday July 9 at his house. It will start with a potluck lunch, so please bring food and drinks to share with the group. Terry said he could fire up the BBQ if needed. Please RSVP to me via email/private message, so I can send you Terry's address, phone number and additional instructions.

If you have any ideas about what you would like to do during the meeting, let's discuss here.

I'd like to thank Jonathan for all his communications! It's a shame that he and Mr. Balough will not be able to join us this time, as they will be touring in Europe with the Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra during our meeting, but I'm sure this meeting won't be the last one, and I hope we will get to meet them in the near future! Wish them best of luck on their trip!

I look forward to meeting everyone!

June 22, 2011 at 04:21 PM ·

ARGH! I want to be there, but I have another event shaping up that is on the same day that starts at 11:00.

I'll be there in spirit, but I won't be able to attend this one; sorry!  Saturdays I have grandpa duty, and the little guy has a party I have to take him to.

June 26, 2011 at 06:56 AM ·

I have not heard back from too many people yet... Is the 11:30am start time too early? 

Roland, if the meeting is moved to the afternoon, would you be able to make it?  Please let me know what time works for you. Thanks!

June 26, 2011 at 05:43 PM ·

Thank you to those who have replied so far!

It looks like quite a few people now have schedule conflicts with the 7/9 date after the poll.  Terry has just informed me that 7/10 is also an option.  So, would Sunday 7/10 work better?  If you have preferred time slot(s), please also let me know via email or post here. Thanks!

June 26, 2011 at 07:40 PM ·

7/10 works much better for me! I don't have any conflict.

June 27, 2011 at 05:51 PM ·

7/10 is great. Anytime after 1:00 PM would be better than earlier, though. Maybe 3:00?

July 1, 2011 at 03:22 AM ·

The meeting time has now been moved to 3pm on Sunday 7/10 to accommodate more people's schedule. If you wish, you can bring finger food and drinks to share with the group.

If you would like to attend but have not RSVP'ed, please send me an e-mail. If you already RSVP'ed, but have not received the instructions to Terry's house, please also let me know (I apologize!).  I look forward to seeing you there!

July 9, 2011 at 04:12 AM ·

REMINDER: Portland v.com member get-together is this Sunday at 3pm

Just a friendly reminder that the meet-up is 3pm this Sunday at Terry Hsu's house.  If you are attending, you are encouraged to bring your instrument just in case we want to play, or you would like to demonstrate something.  You can bring snack/finger food and/or beverages to share with the group if you'd like.

If you are interested in attending but have not RSVP'ed, please let me know so I can send you instructions to Terry's house.

July 11, 2011 at 03:09 AM ·

I'm sorry I missed the happy hour today; the event for my grandson took more time than I expected, and I didn't drop him off until after 4:00.

I hope everyone had a great time!

July 11, 2011 at 02:54 PM ·

Thanks to Joyce for organizing the meeting! We missed you Roland!

People ended up staying until almost 7:00 - my daughter and Albert's daughter jumped on the trampoline and drew pictures in the meantime. Thanks to everyone - Joyce, Truman, Albert, Pat, Chris, Marjory, Diane, Seth, and the two five-year old violinists - who came. It was great fun to play, eat, talk shop, and exchange stories.

Terry

July 11, 2011 at 05:37 PM ·

Thanks to Terry and family for the wonderful meeting place, food and company!  Thanks to everyone who came to the meet-up.  I hope everyone had a great time just as I did!

It's a shame that most of you did not stay long enough to witness the transformation of Terry's violin after Albert urging him to change the strings to Warchal Brilliant Vintage - it was magic! :)

We will definitely have another one, and hope more people can join us next time.

Roland, you will have to show us the violin you finished next time. :)

July 11, 2011 at 07:28 PM ·

Hello everyone!  the get together was a lot of fun and we had great fellowship.  Would have liked to have heard that transformation in string changing, but the new puppy was a priority back home. :)  Thank you Terry for your generous offer of your home, and it certainly was a great place to "play" in. I hope to do this again with you all - and more...and I promise I'll bring a violin or 2 and geez....the right glasses!  lol

July 11, 2011 at 09:59 PM ·

I had a BLAST!  good to meet so many happy musicians and enjoy Terry's and (I canNOT remember your wife's name, Terry--and that after a lovely chat...I'm terrible with names, ask my students) hospitality.

Joyce, thank you for organizing.  Well done.

July 11, 2011 at 10:14 PM ·

Vicki mentioned that she enjoyed talking to you too Marjory. :) I'm glad to hear that everyone enjoyed themselves. Looking forward to the next time.

July 12, 2011 at 04:59 AM ·

YES--let there be a next time!  I want to hear your violin with Warchals on it, play more duos, and laugh with all you good peoples.  (Now back to grading midterms...sigh).

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe