Where should I eat in New York?

May 26, 2011 at 03:47 AM ·

I'll be in NY next week for the Starling-Delay Symposium on Violin Studies at Juilliard. I need ideas about where to eat! Also, any other fab shopping tips, etc. 

Replies (23)

May 26, 2011 at 03:24 PM ·

When I lived in NY as a kid, I always hoped that an evening at Lincoln Center would end with dessert at Cafe Fiorello, on Broadway right in front of Lincoln Center. You're also just over a mile away from Carnegie Deli... which is not far from the Russian Tea Room.  Junior's restaurant (CHEESECAKE!!!!) is also just over a mile away. I do miss the occasional kinish from the street vendors... and Italian ices! I also annoy a lot of people here in Montreal because I don't think the local bagels measure up to NY bagels.

May 26, 2011 at 03:26 PM ·

Laurie, seems like we had a discussion topic a year or so ago which mentioned a number eateries near Juilliard if you can search it out...  It was pretty detailed for snacks and food and such.   Don

May 26, 2011 at 03:45 PM ·

It's worth the cab ride across town:

http://www.2ndavedeli.com/

I recommend the Hot Pastrami Sandwich.  To experience the real thing, be sure not to request lean or extra lean meat, nor bread other than rye bread, nor (heaven forbid) mayonnaise!

May 26, 2011 at 04:57 PM ·

Bagels are absolutely a problem, after leaving NY.

May 26, 2011 at 05:33 PM ·

Katz's deli.

Get the Pastrami. I live in the chicago area, and I have never had anything like it. We have corned beef that will approach very closely what you can get in new york, but not pastrami. 

Between the food and the ambience there, its definitely a "bucket-list" item if there ever was one. I would advise however being served by a waiter, as the typical process of getting your food was beyond my comprehension.

May 26, 2011 at 07:04 PM ·

There's a Chipotle up near 72nd street, and another at 59th street!

I usually go for Halal food.

May 26, 2011 at 07:35 PM ·

The Carnegie Deli gets my vote.  Remember to bring cash as they do not accept plastic.

May 26, 2011 at 07:36 PM ·

These are all within walking distance of Lincoln Center:

Great Casual Places:

Alice's Tea Cup -  73rd and Columbus

Sarabeth's West - 80th and Amsterdam

Lansky's Deli - Columbus @ 70th. 

Splurge: 

A Voce, Columbus Circle - In the Time Warner building. We recently had dinner here, ducking in to escape a violent rainstorm. We had no prior expectations (nor reservations) and the accommodated us by making a little table by the bar. The pasta was homemade and really outstanding!

Landmarc, Columbus Circle- In the Time Warner building. We recently took 6 teenagers out to dinner here. The food was sophisticated by not too too. We did not need to take a second mortgage to pay for 8 diners.

Shun Lee West - 65th and Broadway, across from Le Pain Quotidien.  Expensive, and very beautiful.

Dessert:

Pinkberry -  71st and Amsterdam

Magnolia Bakery - 19th and Columbus

May 26, 2011 at 10:28 PM ·

Worth looking at (Lincoln Center dining)

http://new.lincolncenter.org/live/index.php/visitorinfo-dining-and-shopping-at-lincoln-center

Right near Juilliard/Lincoln Center:

Ed's Chowder House (the chowder sampler is good, among everything else they serve)

http://www.chinagrillmgt.com/restaurants-and-bars/eds-chowder-house

If you want a grocery store to pick up snacks, etc:

Gourmet Garage - 66th/broadway, across from the Juilliard bookstore

http://www.gourmetgarage.com/

Also....there's a Whole Foods in Columbus Circle, 59th street stop on the 1 train.  It's in the basement of the Time Warner Center (the giant mall).  You can't miss it.

Best Gelato in the City is at GROM:

Broadway between 76th and 77th

http://www.grom.it/eng/index.php

May 26, 2011 at 11:27 PM ·

You can go anywhere in Manhattan with the subway.  If you are interested in Chinese food, there are many inexpensive noodle shops; dim-sum; restaurants.  Little Italy is also nearby if you are interested in Italian food.  I haven't been to NYC for a while so I can't make any specific recommendations.

May 27, 2011 at 12:01 AM ·

For cheap, I always liked going to Ollie's Noodle Shop. It's actually closer to Columbia, but you'd be there in a few minutes via subway.

May 27, 2011 at 12:54 AM ·

Ollie's has a pretty good lunch special deal. Note: they give you a much bigger portion if you order it as takeout than they do if you eat in. There's a second Ollie's (the original) only a short walk from Juilliard; it's a couple blocks north on Broadway, a couple doors up from the Apple Store.

Oh, and there's a Trader Joe's up by 72nd Street (walking north on Amsterdam or Broadway).

Also, if you are ever in need of strings or anything of the like, I suggest going to Ideal Musical Merchandise Co, at 150 West 22nd Street. The place has a family-like vibe about it, and the prices are very difficult to beat; also, the service is really great! I go there for pretty much all my string and equipment needs.

May 27, 2011 at 04:40 AM ·

Oooo, some good suggestions! I don't think there was a Pinkberry there, last time I was in town. And I'm glad to be reminded of things like cheesecake at Carnegie Deli, SO good! Now, I know there is a Starbuck's very close, but any other awesome coffee places? I am a coffee snob, for sure.

May 27, 2011 at 01:33 PM ·

One other suggestion if you are on the Upper West Side:  Josie's on Amsterdam between 74th and 75th.  Excellent food using all sorts of very good, fresh, mostly organic ingredients.  Not too expensive.

May 27, 2011 at 02:18 PM ·

My wife and I made a ritual of Lili's 57 and then Le Pain Quotidien when we would go to Carnegie Hall (both restaurants nearby).  Lili's serves Asian cuisine from many regions.  I didn't stray too much from my favorite Chinese dishes.  What I like about them is that the batter on the meats in dishes like General Tso's or Sesame Chicken is not too heavy -- a deal-killer for me when it comes to Chinese food.  Quotidien has an apricot crumb dessert that goes really well with camomile.  I'm also a coffee drinker, but sadly I'm limited to decaf because regular gives me palpitations!

I'm sure you'll find something to like in our great city.  Enjoy!

-Charles

May 28, 2011 at 04:15 PM ·

Hardly gourmet, but Papaya King on E.86th is also somewhat legendary.

June 3, 2011 at 09:42 PM · Laurie, you do realize that we are expecting a summary and rating of your culinary experiences in new york........

June 4, 2011 at 03:12 AM ·

Ooops, okay, will let you know!

June 4, 2011 at 03:46 AM ·

Really close to Juilliard there is a small Italian place called Pomodoro Rosso which is super, but I think a little bit on the high price end. The food was fantastic when I went, though. http://www.pomodororossonyc.com/

June 6, 2011 at 01:35 AM ·

Shun Lee West or Shun Lee Cafe (next door, fewer $$).  Just across Broadway. 

Because it is so close, it makes sense to go here first.

July 12, 2011 at 03:19 PM · Laurie, will u be providing some sort of summary? ie top ten list, favorite cheap eats, favorite expensive eats.....this is important you know. thanks.

July 13, 2011 at 05:58 AM ·

Shun Lee sure makes a killing on the crowds by Lincoln Center. To be fully honest, there was *one* really good dish (we went for dim sum), their vegetable spring roll, which was savory, flavorful, and absolutely delicious. Better than any meat dish they served that day!

Surprisingly, Ollie's Noodle Shop, north on Broadway a bit from the school, was quite good when we went, and satisfied our craving for Chinese cuisine.

July 13, 2011 at 01:13 PM ·

If you go to Ollie's, get their barbecue ribs!!!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe