Chamber group excuses....

April 11, 2011 at 05:18 PM ·

e.g. "Had my bow rehaired, but they had to be redone as the archetier put them on backwards...."

[!!ONLY ONE EXCUSE PER POST please!!

[And thanks to L for the suggestion - seems that flautists can be useful after all ;)]

Replies (26)

April 11, 2011 at 10:58 PM ·

Pardon my post, but I really don't get this topic. If you can't play the music, then tell them that you can't play it, no need to lie on something quite beautiful like chamber music/group. i think chamber music and a chance to play it is such an honor, and it should humble you, not making up silly excuses.

Some of us will do anything to have an opportunity to play chambers, isn't the purpose you want to learn toplay the instrument?

Silly topic and also non sense.

April 11, 2011 at 11:02 PM ·

Elinor - please don't take this so seriously.  We've had lots of fun topics before - like 'you know you are a violinist when.... ' and people came up with very creative, entertaining and sometimes riproaringly funny ideas.  This is just like that - if you've played in a chamber group SURELY someone has said - I couldn't get to this piece because...  There are real reasons of course but the idea here is to come up with some creative fun ones.

And if that doesn't work for you then there are lots of other topics that should attract your interest and you can ignore this.

April 12, 2011 at 12:52 AM ·

As a student, I would always have to say that I had to much studying (and it's not a lie)

So, now, I'm not in a chamber group for that reason : ) 

April 12, 2011 at 07:15 PM ·

My cat gut threw up...

April 12, 2011 at 08:26 PM ·

I'm pregnant ...

April 13, 2011 at 12:04 AM ·

Peter, congratulations!

April 13, 2011 at 12:21 AM ·

Malcom.... are you the dad?

April 13, 2011 at 03:15 AM ·

I just washed my hands, and I can't do a thing with them!

April 13, 2011 at 03:46 AM ·

belly ache/ head ache            or           badly stretch a muscle at the gym.    

(btw nowadays, these excuses can apply to both genders!)

April 13, 2011 at 05:36 AM ·

the cat shredded my sheet music....

April 13, 2011 at 05:58 AM ·

I was abducted by aliens and they sucked the ability to play the piece out of my brain. Looking on the bright side they replaced it with something else - I can now play  4' 33" entirely from memory.

April 13, 2011 at 08:26 AM ·

my son dropped my music down the laundry shute, it took three days to dry it out

April 13, 2011 at 06:57 PM ·

"For once I thought I would let you guys play better than me"

[last words spoken by the group member]

April 13, 2011 at 07:32 PM ·

I can't uncurl the scroll.

April 14, 2011 at 10:14 AM ·

LOL!

I got the call to stand in on the Beethoven Violin concerto with the Gothenburg symphony orchestra....

April 15, 2011 at 12:58 AM ·

sorry, wrong group....

April 15, 2011 at 01:02 AM ·

you mean you brought your sax by mistake? :)

April 15, 2011 at 01:10 AM ·

My dog ate my rosin.

April 15, 2011 at 06:15 AM ·

There was a mixup: I learned Haydn Opus 17 Quartet in E? major No. 3, Hoboken No. III:27, not Haydn Opus 71 Quartet in E? major, No. 3, Hoboken No. III:71.

Oops.

[these really exist!]

April 15, 2011 at 09:18 AM ·

I got the call to stand in on the Beethoven Violin concerto with the Gothenburg symphony orchestra....

See, I'm waiting a phonecall from Beethoven to tell me how to interpret it...  He didn't called yet but I know he will...   

April 15, 2011 at 11:49 AM ·

I stubbed my toe. 

OK, so thats not the greatest excuse - but it was on the table at the top of the stairs - which crashed down them and hit the building super coming in the front door, breaking his nose and sending him to hospital and then I had to agree to stand in for him for 6 days which meant taking care of four appartments and the

April 15, 2011 at 01:07 PM ·

My brother is away and his pet python decided to exit its cage and curl up and snooze on the music, for 6 days.  I still haven't found a way to retrieve the music. 

Oh, and before it went to sleep, it ate my rosin.......

April 15, 2011 at 08:40 PM ·

[Thank goodness I don't have to clean up snake-rosin poop... :o ]

Couldn't find my violin - turns out my 6 yr old had taken it to school for a ukelele class.

April 15, 2011 at 09:42 PM ·

"Thank goodness I don't have to clean up snake-rosin poop"

Hey, you may be onto something!  Ever hear of Kopi Luwak coffee?  (beans eaten then shat-out by Indonesian marsupials.)   -the best in the world.

I can just imagine some snooty string accessories company selling python-dung rosin. Players the world over paying a super-premium price for its magical qualities....

April 16, 2011 at 09:42 AM ·

did you mean `Indonesian` marsupials  are the best in the world?

Incidentally,  a good advertizing jingle might be:

Get the marsupe poop, when you start to droop.

Cheers,

Buri

April 16, 2011 at 10:35 AM ·

I decided to trade up in violins: consigned my 1800s italian and bought a 1700 one on ebay.  Durn ad didn't mention that 'some setup required' meant making a new back and ribs from the piece of supplied 1700s roof lumber...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe