Songs that have changed your life

April 4, 2011 at 04:50 AM ·

Music can change the world. It can inspire hope, fear, anger, depression, and glee among other things. It can unify nations, or tear them apart. It can also change a person's life. Music has changed my life repeatedly. People ask me what I want to do when I grow up. I say one word. Music. They ask me why and I tell them to listen to the great works, symphonies, concertos, and improvs. Does anybody have any songs that have changed their lives? Mine are: Winter by Vivaldi, Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven, and the Storm by Vivaldi to name a few.

Replies (40)

April 4, 2011 at 04:54 AM ·

Bloch's Suite Hebraique. 

Lost my stage fright after performing this piece for an audition.....

April 4, 2011 at 05:51 AM ·

Air on the G string for enhancing my mood.

Schindler's list if i want to be quite emotional.

Bazzini's La ronde des lutins, for fun (only hearing it though, i can't yet play it:D ).

Beethoven's ninth symphony for my joy.

well,  that's it from my view.

these songs play parts in my life.-

April 4, 2011 at 03:20 PM ·

Mozart - K 488 - Piano Concerto #23, slow movement.
Beethoven Violin Concerto - 1st Movement.
Prokofiev - 2nd Violin Concerto, 2nd Movement

There's lots more.

April 4, 2011 at 03:52 PM ·

Oh, so many.  Here are five that have a special connection** with my life:

Fritz Kreisler: "Liebesleid" (Love's Sorrow).  Here is Josh Bell as soloist, with Jaime Laredo holding the baton.

Baker Knight: "Lonesome Town."  Check out this vintage rendering by Ricky Nelson, who made a big hit with the song in 1958.

Giuseppe Verdi: "Ah sì, ben mio" (Oh, yes, my beloved), from Act III, Scene 2, of Il Trovatore (The Troubadour).  Words by Salvatore Cammarano.  In this clip, Franco Corelli sings Manrico's part.  Not sure which singers are portraying Leonora (s.) and Ruiz (t.).  This aria inspired me to try my own hand at songwriting.  I'm confident that Signor Verdi would be proud and honored, and I believe he would like what I came up with.

Richard Wagner: Brünnhilde's Immolation -- final section, starting from "Grane, mein Ross" (Grane, my horse) -- from Götterdämmerung" (Twilight of the Gods), last installment of his Ring tetralogy.  Birgit Nilsson sings.

Richard Rodgers & Oscar Hammerstein II: "People Will Say We're in Love" from their musical show Oklahoma!  Here are Gordon MacRae and Shirley Jones singing the leads in the 1955 film version.

EDIT: Check out also these "Troy and Gabriella" excerpts from the 2006 TV film High School Musical, with the R&H song as background.

April 4, 2011 at 04:45 PM ·

songs? well, music never changed my life but...i'm very loving this at the moment. hope you like it too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsN-VnZwQg&feature=related

what a beautiful control of her voice ...and music just as if its happening by itself

April 4, 2011 at 09:41 PM ·

My 5 are:

1. Moonlight Sonata

2. Bach Cello Suite no.2 iv. Sarabande

3. Fade to Black-APOCALYPTICA VERSION!LOOK IT UP!!IT IS BEAUTIFUL!!

4. Beethoven's 5th, Con Brio movement

5. Winter by Vivaldi

April 5, 2011 at 01:07 AM ·

Sander I agree the adagio from Mozarts K488 piano concerto is  one of the most moving pieces ever written. And  such stunning simplicity.

Hard to say how certain music has changed my life. Has changed my mood or outlook, even worldview.

In my list : lots of Bach, but first of all the St Matthews Passion. The recitativo and aria  at the centre of the whole work ( 48 and 49 )    " Er hat uns allen wohlgetan" and "Aus liebe will mein Heiland sterben" just break my heart.

Mozart Symphonia concertante second movement

Mozart Requiem

Beethoven symphonie 3 and 7, Pianoconcerto 5,

Lots more. Got to go

April 5, 2011 at 02:12 AM ·

Dvorak Symphony 9 4th movement

Bach Chaconne

Bach Partita 3

Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto 1 first movement

and countless others, but those are the ones that come immediately to mind.

April 5, 2011 at 02:24 AM ·

Concerto in D minor by vivaldi: where I learned to love violin

Tchiak 6: where i learned that I want to perform music the rfest of my life

music for 18 musicians riech: all my emotions in one song

April 5, 2011 at 06:17 PM ·

When I was a kid I learned Twinkle Twinkle on my violin and not much else.  25+ years later, when I tried again as an adult to learn the violin, I picked it up and played Twinkle Twinkle with little effort.  Some things stick with you.

At age 19 I invited a good looking older guy over to my mom's apartment to work on a puzzle and listen to John Denver. (I must have really been a hot date!)  24 years later and we are still happily married.  He couldn't believe a 19 year old could appreciate John Denver! 

April 5, 2011 at 11:50 PM ·

Anything by Lady Gaga

April 6, 2011 at 01:46 AM ·

Pierrot Lunaire

Pachelbel's Canon

4'33"

April 6, 2011 at 01:30 PM ·

JS Bach  - Arioso, Sinfonia from Cantata. "Ich steh mit einem Fus im Grabe"

Experience Julian Lloyd Weber levitating this piece on the cello.  Breathtaking.

April 6, 2011 at 01:30 PM ·

Sorry, on Youtube.

April 6, 2011 at 01:37 PM ·

This one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJcuqaelqwE

What a beautiful lady, and what an incredible artist!

April 6, 2011 at 04:49 PM ·

As a child, Debussy's Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun and Saint-Saens' Organ Symphony.

As an adult, the Brahms sextets and Osvaldo Golijov's Dreams and Prayers of Isaac the Blind.

April 7, 2011 at 02:33 PM ·

Another one to add, the Handel Fantasia in C Major (piano or harpsichord). Never could get enough of it. The following performance is a gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJsy9EKcK-A

This is one of the very few pieces that always made me wish I had studied the harpsichord instead of the violin.

April 7, 2011 at 03:01 PM ·

Change "my" life??????

Almost everything played by Oistrakh : ) and many played by Chang, Repin, Perlman

As for other instruments: Rostropovich, Du Pré, Kam,

I tend to be more moved by "sound" but of course, the peice must be beautiful too (not just the sound!)  But a beautiful peice with a sound that I dislike will not move me.  So it's not easy to answer to this.

Still I'll name a few of my favorites:

Devil Trill Sonata!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vitali Chaconne

Tchaikovsky Concerto

Mendelshon Concerto

Many things from Bach, Vivaldi, Brahms, Beethoven

Frank, Leclair Sonata

Weiniawski Tarantelle

Paganini Campanella

Preludium and Allegro (Kreisler) and Libesleid

Mozart Clarinet Quintet

Bach Cello suites

Saint-Saens Clarinet Concerto

I like either very lively or lyrical music but always with a good melody!

April 7, 2011 at 05:20 PM ·

Although I enjoy listening to and playing fast music, it doesn't really 'move' me. It is FUN and  gets the pulse racing and the feet moving but it seems a little superficial.

Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings is a totally emotional experience for me.

Tchaikovsky's Pathetique is a another one.

Some movie scores can really get to you IF you like the movie :) ie. Gabriel's oboe from The Mission.

At a military funeral 'Taps' can give me 'goose bumps'

April 7, 2011 at 06:29 PM ·

the list would just be endless if I tried to cover all the music that has touched me... 

but the most current influence has been the four soundtracks from The Tudors.. its what gave me the final push to try Violin at 48 yrs old.. 

April 7, 2011 at 07:07 PM ·

-Ave Maria, (Schubert)

-Cosmo Canyon (Nobuo Uematsu)

-Lacrimosa (Kalifina)

-Gavotte by Gossec (Suzuki rendition)

Different reasons for each song but these are at the top of my list for the things they mean to me and what they did during different stages in my life.

April 8, 2011 at 05:46 AM ·

Sorry it is not played on violin but, my most favorite in the world is the Glenn Gould on piano playing the Goldberg Variations by JS Bach. I have heard also as quartet was nice. but Gould touches a special place with this music.

April 8, 2011 at 05:18 PM ·

Music has influenced me in so many ways but above all, Massenet's "Meditation de Thais."  I can hear my Father playing that on his Chappuy and often cry openly.  My Father passed long ago and I now play on his 1774 Chappuy.

April 9, 2011 at 05:36 PM ·

1. Bach 'Air on G string'

2. Bartok 'Six Romanian Dances'

3. Eurythmics 'Sweet Dreams'

The first two songs inspire me to keep practicing so I can master them. Sweet Dreams is just plain wonderful no matter how many times I hear it :)

April 9, 2011 at 10:29 PM ·

changed my life?  I can only think of one right now:

Ravel's Bolero.

My baby son was one of those crying frustrated babies.  But put this on and he would sleep - just Bolero.  Sure changed my life (and maybe let him get out of child hood too ;) ).

I wonder sometimes if it would still work....

April 10, 2011 at 12:30 AM ·

lol!!!  That's very funny Elise

Here Bolero well known because a famous conductor of the Montreal Symphony always played that as an encore.   I was getting sick of it because it always repeats and repeats and repeats...

Maybe that's why you son fell asleep with it : )

April 10, 2011 at 12:34 AM ·

Several things have changed my life musically. I felt pain when I heard Rebecca Black's Friday song, so I had to wash that dreadful cantillation out of my mind with some Shostakovich quartets.

Black changed me in a negative way.

Shosty fixed the pain and changed me in a positive way.

Dvorak's 9th symphony always makes the day better.   : ) 

July 16, 2011 at 12:31 AM ·

Mahler symphonies - especially slow moments as Adagio from the 10th symphony, Adagietto from 5th, 6th movement  Langsam.Ruhevoll.Empfunden of the 3th symphony, 3rd movemnt of the 4th, II part of the 8th symphony, the 9th symphony and Das Lied von der Erde. I started to like classical music because of Mahler II symphony...I started listening Mahler at the age of 12. Well all MAHLER is good but I wrote here the first music of his that came into my mind...

July 16, 2011 at 01:05 AM ·

Right now, i am trying to make a playlist that sort of sums up my life to date. Here I what I have so far...

1. St. Patrick by Savatage

2. I will not Bow by Breaking Benjamin

3. Bach Cello Suite no.2 iv. Sarabande by Bach

4.Somewhere in Time and Believe by Savatage

July 16, 2011 at 03:39 AM ·

Brahms: op. 8,

Brahms German Requiem,

Beethoven Violin Concerto

Hebden String Concerti

Bach Double

Mahler 10th (first mvt)

Brahms Sestets 

July 16, 2011 at 10:40 AM ·

I could never find the lost chord, so Jimmy helped me to find it and it changed my life;

www.youtube.com/watch

I could identify with someone.

July 16, 2011 at 10:55 AM ·

Although I was exposed to a lot of classical music as a child I don't think I was turned onto it until I heard Shroeder playing pathetique in 'Peanuts' ...  1969...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXOjSzJ4YKQ&feature=related

July 16, 2011 at 11:21 AM ·

The Lark Ascending by Vaughan Williams

Romeo and Juliet by S. Prokofiev

July 17, 2011 at 01:40 AM ·

Max Bruch - Violin Concerto no. 1

Bach - Partita No.1, BWV 1002

Bach - Partita No.2, BWV 1004

Bach - Sonata No.1, BWV 1001

Bach - Goldberg Variations

Handel - Harpsichord Suite in G Minor HWV432 - Mov. 6/6

Domenico Scarlatti - Sonata in C Minor, k.373

July 17, 2011 at 02:13 AM ·

Pieces that have changed my life?

1. Mahler Symphony 1-movement 4

2. Dvorak Symphony 9-movement 4

3. Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker

4. Borodin String Quartet No. 2

5. Billy Childs Jazz Violin Concerto in D

6. Beethoven Symphony 5- movement 1

7. Rhapsody in Blue

8. Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto in D

9. Scheherazade

10. The Afternoon of a Faun

11. Mendelssohn Hebrides Overture

12. Grieg String Quartet No. 27

July 17, 2011 at 11:17 AM ·

Wow! your life has changed a lot. What was the difference in changes from number 1 to 12 ? 

July 17, 2011 at 12:58 PM ·

AndreLOL!

I would guess15 years of violin lessons... :-\

July 17, 2011 at 06:42 PM ·

sure but silence can change the world, or me/you,  just as much :o) especially in a world, and an ego, full of sounds

there are songs  that  whisper/ed or scream/ed or wail/ed for change...in the vein of Strange Fruit. but music to change my own life? i'm not a film or so important to require a soundtrack; effect is more impressionistic than that, comes and goes, tidal, moods, ebbing and withdrawing...  modulates my inner  whirlwinds but doesnt address the whole of "me"...unless i'm willing to decieve myself for a few moments :o) 

but then again, music makes me feel like a bit of an idiot, i can't address the whole of it either.

(edited)

July 18, 2011 at 01:56 AM ·

LOL @ Andre, yea Elise has pretty said it, years and years of lessons and experiences. I'll admitt not necessarily all of the piece have completely changed my life but they all have had a large impact on my life in one way or another. The list was in no particular order, just songs that I know off the top of my head make me LOVE music the way I do. 

1. Mahler Symphony 1-movement 4: This piece has most recently had the biggest impact on me because of the way I learned it, the way my orchestra performed it. I had never heard of Mahler before this, now I love his work. 

2. Dvorak Symphony 9-movement 4: Whenever I hear  this piece I think of a city-wide concert that took place last year at Notre Dame, it was approximately 600 members all playing this piece in unison, it was a great experience. It really opened my eyes to music being a universal divine thing. Honestly what else can bring 600 people together in cooperation and unison?

3. Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker: This is the first classical work I ever came in contact with, my grandma took me to see it when I was 7 years old. I feel in love with it immediately and so began my classical music journey.

4. Borodin String Quartet No. 2: This was the first quartet piece I ever played. I was a freshman in high school and my school had a quartet in residence that had recently lost one of their violins [she graduated] well out of all the people in my orchestra (who were all way better  than me) The cellist who was pretty much the leader of the quartet asked me to join. We went to state competition and got a gold medal. 

5. Billy Childs Jazz Violin Concerto in D: This piece is fundamental in my life because it was my first experience with music that wasn't necessarily 'classical'. I also got to meet Billy Childs and Regina Carter.  

6. Beethoven Symphony 5- movement 1: Is fundamental for a number of reasons, I mean name one person who doesn't know this tune, and I'll show you 20 others who do. 

7. Rhapsody in Blue

8. Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto in D: Had an impact on my when I first heard Joshua Bell perform it live. 

9. Scheherazade: This is the first real orchestra piece I've ever performed with a "real" orchestra. 

10. The Afternoon of a Faun: This is the first piece I ever heard by Debussy, now I absolutely love it. 

11. Mendelssohn Hebrides Overture

12. Grieg String Quartet No. 27

Some of the them actually had an impact, and some of them I just love! 

July 18, 2011 at 10:32 AM ·

Songs, that have changed my life:

Nirvana, smells like teen spirit (made me buy all their albums)

Mumford and Sons, White blank Page (made me start fingerpicking on my guitars)

Compositions, that have changed my life:

Early Recordings of Anne-Sophie Mutter (Zigeunerweisen) made me wanting to play the violin

Sibelius Violin Concerto made me pick up the violin again after 2 years break and choosing to stay with it until I can play this piece or die.

Bach Solosuites for violin made me discover the story telling aspect of music in a degree, that music becomes a language.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe