Supporting Music in Sendai

March 24, 2011 at 04:03 PM ·

Greetings,

I`m starting a new thread here as a result of recent discussions with Laurie and v.commie members about support for the Sendai Philharmonic Orchestra and helping to bring music to the region hit the earthquake and tsunami on the 11th.

I have spoken to the Sendai Philharmonic Office and they told me the following:

Their goal and determination is to to bring music to as many parts of the region as possible as best they can.    The orchestra will meet and do it`s first concert together this Saturday (tomorrow).  At this time they will discuss how they are going to move forward and the kind of things they need.

I told that that our basic idea was to form an Internet based group that supported the orchestra and there families in any way they felt was necessary.  Given that they emerged relatively unscathed I also asked them to extend the question of needs to things like outreach programs or musical activities in the region that the orchestra is connected to.

That`s it for now.

Buri

Replies (46)

March 24, 2011 at 05:08 PM ·

Thanks for taking the bull by the horns, Buri.  I'll be watching to see what we can do.

Stay safe!

March 24, 2011 at 09:58 PM ·

Nice initiative!

March 25, 2011 at 12:20 AM ·

Thanks Buri for taking the lead on this huge matter that occupies just about anyone I know in the world. Donating money to Red Cross is what we are doing here in my part of the world but it's not sufficient. You mentioned in your previuos thread that folks in Japan were looking inward right now. I sort of understand what you meant but would know a bit more about it if possible.

March 25, 2011 at 12:40 AM ·

Greetings,

hi Yixi.  I think at times like this it is really important to recognize the emergence of the greater good at the darkest point.   What one can see here is families ,  communities and prefectures communicating and sharing in ways that were absent in some senses before.   For example Japanese families have in many cases been notable for an absentee fathers and poor communication between husband and wife.  Thes e kind of walls have broken down as people pass their days togethr in emergency shelters and so on.

The point about looking in is that it is a time for a country to rebuild itslef at many differnet levels.  So,  for example, an orchestra touring to raise funds is a good idea in principle but does not ,  from the perspective here,  appear to have the same value as going out among ones own people and playing.  Whatever the venue,  howeevr big or small the audience  everybody has to work together here rather than elsewhere  to get back on our feet in all areas of existence..

It is perhaps more the role of the foreigners who love and live/have lived in Japan to look outward more and keep the idea alive that we are all connected,  all one world.    This has never been that easy for Jaapn for geographical and historical reasons.

Not sur eif this makes the point clear...

I have some ideas and plans in the pipe line for the outside support side which I hope we can all work on together in the near future.

Cheers,

Buri

March 25, 2011 at 10:42 PM ·

Thanks Buri for the explanation, which makes perfect sense.  Japanese people have showed a lot inner strength during the crisis which is quite amazing. Gambare, Nippon!

March 26, 2011 at 11:06 AM ·

Greetings,

as I said to Laurie in a recent mail,  when I telephoned toe Sendai Philharmonic Office they had no problem with the general idea of us supporting them but were not currently able to identify needs.   After giving this some thought I have come to believe that a more proactive approach with a small initial concrete step is the best way forward right now.   So, I have tried to come up with a simple provisional plan that can meet this need.   I will write it out here and wait for your feed back and assistance.

1)  Even though it is obviously,  just a collection of caring people on the Internet there does need to be a sense of `an organization,  in Japanese I have used the term  `shien-group,`  which means a support group.  Without at least some sense of identity communication with the Sendai Phil (from here on SenPhil) would be difficult.  I have tentatively named the group `VICOM -Friends of Sendai.`  Also some kind of goal is needed.  My general aim was:

`Bringing both practical and human support to the musicians of the region so that they can,  in turn go out and bring music and relief to the tens of thousands of people who have literally lost everything.` 

I am assuming the role of Japanese coordinator and I hope my Japanese pianist colleague will take the same role.  She is currently discussing the matter with her family.

2)  The next step is to ask people to put their name forward as member of this group.  There is no obligation involved here whatsoever.  The only thing you need to do is email me at sbrivati@gmail.com   .  Once your name is in then I will assume you are willing to be asked to help in some way in the future,  again without any obligation of any kind.

3)  Having established a shien-group to this extent I am making our first request to the people who put their names forward.;)  I will match your name to a member of the orchestra. Please could you write a small letter in English to that person introducing yourself and offering some words of encouragement or whatever.  If possible could you also included a small present of some kind.  Laurie queried this and to be honest I don`t have many good ideas except keep it small.  Small items of clothing,  scarves,  choclate (is okay) or even violin strings.  Whatever.   

The next step is to send the letters and presents to my house.  The reason for this I will explain in the next step.  My address is:

Uguisudani 4693-8

Gifu Shi,

Gifu Ken.

Japan.

500-8052

After an interval of about a month or so,  I (and hopefully my colleague)will travel down to Sendai and present the letters and gifts to the members of the orchestra.  It would of course be quite easy to simply send the presents directly to the office if one wishes. My reasoning behind this approach is to put a face (albeit mine- fortunately my colleague is better looking) to the project.  My hope is that in doing so it will be made much clearer to the SEnPhil that there is a concrete group extant here that has people repreesenting it,  some sense of organization.  Once this is understood well then it should be easier to move forward either with collective projects or any individual projects one might wish to set up with the musician one has been twinned with.

There is no reason to hold off on submitting names as it will help me get a sense of how many people are actually going to be involved.   However,

please don`t send the present and letter to me until one of us here has contacted the SenPhil and told them what we are going to do.  It is better to have a Japanese person explain the idea to them, and assure them that since they are under so much pressure ,  struggling to bring music back to the region they are under no obligation to respond either individually or as a group though of course they will.  The other thing we have to make clear both to the v.commies involved and their Japanese counterpart is whether or not they want the mail translated  which is something we can work on here.  That will be another issue a little further down the road.

This is a whole new kind of challenge for me and even as I write this I wonder at the scope of it and how to do it right.  So any advice,  thoughts and ideas will always be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Buri

March 26, 2011 at 05:01 PM ·

This is a great idea, Buri. I'd like to join the group and will email you with more details.

As for present, I also want to mention that handmade things, no matter how unpolished and how little they are, always convey so much love. Any other ideas?

In terms of scope, it's hard to say at this point. It might be useful to start a Term Of Reference (TOR) spelling out some details (some of your initial thoughts certainly can go in), some concrete tool to facilitate more focused descussions. Below are some topics of a TOR I can think of:

• Issues
  • Vission
  • Objectives
  • Principles
  • Scope (both in and out of the scope)
  • Membership
  • Key Roles and Responsibilities
  • Function and Deliverables

I want to stress that the purpose of using this TOR is to focus the discussion rather than making people commit to something, even though TOR may sound formal and the "responsibilities" and "deliverables" may put some people off. Let's talk about it.

Yixi

March 26, 2011 at 07:04 PM ·

Hi, I agree with Yixi.  I would like to help but I'm not sure if I'm the type of person who will be able to do much...

I could send a gift and letter for sure.  + a little package with some music or violin stuff.

But I don't know if a one time 'little music package" or money is ennough? 

They are these top musicians, and I am that oversea little student just able to do so much...  : ) 

As a student, still helped in a good part by my parents, what I can't do is to regularly send things or money etc.   

Perhaps many v.commies are students or musicians on modest budjets and won't inscribe if they don't know what is expected of them.   

To express my point, many could send strings, rosin, mutes, metronomes, music sheets, cloths to clean instruments, SR, pins to hold sheet music on the stands etc.  But not many can send instruments or bows...  How devasted is the area and is it that they need?  

Just a few questions.  But I know that you do your best Buri.  Having clear explanations from big organisations (as an orchestra) is always a puzzled challenge ; )   

Well, back to study...

March 26, 2011 at 07:27 PM ·

Greetings,

`But I don't know if a one time 'little music package" or money is ennough?`

Actually I think it would make all the differnece in the world.  Of course there is an urgent need large quantities of basic essentials for living.  But even now I can hear the anguish in the voice sof the people I spoke to in Sendai. The idea that someone in a foreign country cared enough to send a simple letter and or small present is very powerful indeed.  there is no comittment to go any further than a one off.  Whether people wish to continue to be pen pals or go further in offereing support is completley personel.  My job in thta cae would be to facilitate things in anyway that I can should it be required.

On the subject of presents I jsut remember `dreamcatchers` are well known and popular here.

Cheers,

Buri 

March 26, 2011 at 09:11 PM ·

letters and some gift that can send thru flat enveloped is ok i think, but once you put in a box, and send it, what is the Japanese policy on custom? I mean,  a package coming from an overseas country? I'm afraid that you (Buri) might end up paying for whatever tax that might go with it. Please check those little details first.

Count me in, I don't know what I can contribute nor how much, but am willing to help the best I can.

Elinor

March 27, 2011 at 12:13 AM ·

Hi, Elinor, if I remember well from a discussion I had with a post office employee about mailing in different countries, he said that Japan and Russia do open every package just to check it's nothing dangerous.  Are they honnest and leave it intact, I suppose than yes (perhaps it depends if the custom post officers like music stuff or not ; ) 

Oh food, candies, money pls leave that aside for me...  what's these worthless rolled weird wires??? (strings) and stuff?? leave that in the package!  (joking...)

Count me in too : )  How many people is there in the orchestra?  wouldn't it be great to have ennough v.commers to match each musician!

Anne-Marie

March 27, 2011 at 12:28 AM ·

From my experience living in Malaysia, shipping even small items overseas can be a bit pricey and take quite a bit of time to arrive.  My mother sent a small care-box once and it cost about $25 to ship it and it took a month to arrive.  Food items, wood items, seeds and such are generally frowned upon for international shipments.  Sometime CDs/DVDs have issues with concerns on piracy. 

A suggestion - maybe we find someone in the US who can coordinate on the US side to collect the small items and some $$ to cover S&H and make a few consolidated shipments. 

March 27, 2011 at 01:43 AM ·

Hi Ann Marie, its not what's inside the package, but what Japan's policy to tax and  duties in terms of what items that can be dutie and tax free, that way, Buri doesn't have to pay for those taxable items.

Little things like this might create a big bump in the process.

Elinor

March 27, 2011 at 10:25 PM ·

Greetings,

no it isn`t correct that small packages are opened.  Nor would I have to pay customs dury on them as far as I am aware.  I order books and stuff from overseas all the time.

Cheers,

Buri

March 28, 2011 at 03:13 AM ·

What if we called this effort "Notes of Encouragement"? I'm not sure how that would translate in Japanese, though. I think we have to start it out as communication, perhaps, because at this point we need communication to even understand what the needs may be. And then when we start to understand needs we can perhaps talk about appropriate donations. But a pen-pal type of situation might be a good first step. Buri, what do you think?

And of course I'm happy to send a gift as well, I just want to make sure it is appropriate!

March 28, 2011 at 02:46 PM ·

Hi,

I am more than willing to send a letter of encouragement and a gift.  But maybe you can suggest somethings.  I am an amateur only.  A mother of a cellist.  Maybe we could tell you what we intend to send, so you could match better.  Or if you tell us to whom, like a cellist, mom of 2 young girls, I could send something to her and her two daugther, nothing big, but children are always the first people that we want to share a gift with. Of course this is only a suggestion.

Many thanks.

pascale

March 28, 2011 at 04:52 PM ·

Hi, Pascale has provided a very intereting point.  If we know with what instrumentist we are matched for the project, we will have a better idea of the gifts.

It's always fun to prepare these with the people in mind.  But I understand that's maybe not possible.   

Anne-Marie

March 28, 2011 at 09:41 PM ·

Message from the Berlin Philharmonic to the Japanese people:

Berlin Philharmonic and the Staatskapelle Berlin are giving a joint benefit concert for the victims in Japan on Tue, Mar. 29 2011 at 8 p.m (Berlin time). There will be live webcast. All proceeds from the concert and the webcast will go to the UNICEF emergency fund in Japan:

UNICEF concert for Japan

March 28, 2011 at 10:25 PM ·

Greetyings,

well, the simple thing to do would be to request what instrument you want to be matched to when you send me an email,

Laurie,  we are in complete agreement about the establishment of communication at a persobnal level. I am trying to avoid the idea of `pen pal@ just a little becuase it implies a comittment to a back  a consistemnt back and forth exchange whereas what I am suggesting is that we get a one off letter and small generic gift sent as quickly a spossible and then it is up to the individuals cocnerned to decided the degree of sustained contact which might just boil down to putting them on the Christmas card list or nothing at all.

Any small simple gift from the heart would mean so much to the people here.  Musicians doN@t have much money so it is not a committment to long term donating in any s3ense whatsoever.  I cannot stress that enough.

Cheers,

Buri

March 28, 2011 at 11:16 PM ·

whatever instruments/muscians you want to match with me is good, it doesn't matter if its not strings musicians, I'd like to help, and hope i can help in any way i can. Since this is string communities, i know a lot will choose either vn, va, cello, bass, but what about the others? so, whomever is good.

thank's!

March 29, 2011 at 01:56 AM ·

I agree Elinor.  I have decided to put some violin and non violin things in the package.  That way, it allows anyone to receive it.  If it's a non violinist, they still have something! 

Buri that's true.  The question is what would be special to them and that's often simpler than we think.  I would rather receive rocks, a few money peices or small traditional locally made items from another country than to have something that I can already provide myself. They surely need hope, to dream/travel in their head even if just for 30 sec...  Well of course, one can never imagine exactly what one needs exactly in such a situation...

Buri, we write that as it is on the package and it will get to you?  I imagine than yes but just to be sure....

Uguisudani 4693-8

Gifu Shi,

Gifu Ken.

Japan.

500-8052

March 29, 2011 at 09:32 PM ·

Greetings,

many thanks Anne Marie.

The address is correct.

Cheers,

Buri

March 29, 2011 at 09:51 PM ·

Hi, they didn't turn me out at the post office so I assume the adress was right :)

I should have sent something for Po along... : (   I was just thinking of the Sendai.

But he seems to have plenty to fight with outside...

I had to write items on the package. The home made "jewelry" can apply to both genders. (it's more of a lucky charm thing)

March 31, 2011 at 04:00 PM ·

Have I missed something? - Is this it?

http://www.sendaiphil.jp/news/english_1.html

April 1, 2011 at 06:02 AM ·

Greetings,

nothing to do with my proposal.  Much larger scale. Very impressive.

Cheers,

Buri

April 1, 2011 at 06:31 AM ·

Greetings,

actually I just recieved an email from the Sendai Philharmonic that reads basically:

`Many thanks for the concern and kindness of you and your friends.   Because of the disaster all planned concerts for the next six months had to be cancelled.  We are however,  doing  our best to support the area by playing music to console people and encourage them.

Frankly speaking what we need is money not only to continue the current activtiies but also to maintain the orchestra.  Please inform everybody of this`

End.

To tell the truth I have initially been trying to avoid the issue of donations simply because a) a lot of musicians are not that well off and b) there is a risk of donor fatigue.   There is a limit to how much anyone can give and the number of times people can be asked.

However,  if you do want to contribute money specifically for music then I presume this fund mentioned above is a good one.

My idea has a lot more to do with offering friendship and support.  Then if those people who can offer funds from benifit concerts and the like wish to do so they can on a more personal basis later on.

What I am not completely clear about is whether the Sendai Philhamonic would find it strange or upsetting  that after a direct appeal for funds (in their email) they are being offered pen friend letters,  small gifts and concern for their well being with the long term view in mind.  My opinion is that this is of great value to help keep people going in dark times but I wonder if the desperate need for funds is overriding everything now.   Certainly large donations should not be sent to me if they can be sent easily through a large organization.

I will talk to my Japanese colleague about it and see what she thinks.

Cheers,

Buri

April 1, 2011 at 04:11 PM ·

Thanks for letting us know, Buri, and please do keep us informed about the best way to help. 

April 1, 2011 at 09:21 PM ·

Hi, you're right...  Maybe v.com was a little fast to presume they wanted support letters, gifts and all these things.

And maybe a few were as excited to send them than those who would have received them...

As I was quick to send my package, if ever you and your friend find that it's too "strange" to bring these to the orchestra (or that you don't have ennough suscribtions etc.), you're more than welcome to keep the gifts you want for you and your friend : )  No sense sending it back.

April 2, 2011 at 05:12 AM ·

Anne-Marie, good for you for taking quick action! I wish my package to Buri was ready last week, but I'm knitting mittens and it'll take a few more days to be ready. Now that things seem to change a bit so I'll hold on to it for next signal from Buri.

While I can understand the timing of us giving personal-touched support may not work with the orchestra's bigger fundraising action, the two efforts shouldn't be incompatible in principle.

Frankly, where I live and the groups I've involved here in Canada, many fundraisings have been taking place and significant amount of monies are sending through the Red Cross since March 11 to be used for immediate emergency relief such as food and health care. While I know it's extremely important to have music at this difficult time and I'd be happy to talk to our charitable groups for support this orchestra, but I don't know how to answer the question why it is more urgent to give money to an orchestra instead of Red Cross. I think what Buri proposed is very sensible but I guess we'll have to wait and see whether the orchestra clearly doesn't want us to do this. 

Buri, if the orchestra doesn't want personal-touched gifts, will you accept them anyway and distribute them to whoever you see fit?

April 3, 2011 at 07:51 AM ·

A link to a free performance by the Sendai orchestra on 26 March. The video does'nt seem to run too well on my tiny netbook, but maybe some of you have better equipment:

http://www.47news.jp/movie/general_national/post_2932/

I also saw their activities reported in a newsclip on Japanese national TV today.

Best wishes,

Margaret

April 3, 2011 at 08:11 PM ·

Margaret, thanks.  On my computer, it doesn't work well either.  So it's not just you.

Yixi, happy to see that others ones were making gifts to post!  Now, I feel a little ridiculous to have been so quick!  : )

By any means, (if ever the project continues) it is important to stress on the fact that it's a one time "exchange support project" and that no one expects anything in return from the receivers.  What would probably bug the musicians (and possibly most people!) is the idea that they are forced into a penpal project without having being asked.  But that's not the idea. 

April 3, 2011 at 09:40 PM ·

Hi John,

I`m not sure I understood your comment correctly.  I can`t find any reference to people being moved to make way for a concert.   

First,  from what little contact I have had with the Sendai Phil the musicians themselves would not countenance such a thing.  

Second,  although Sendai suffered some damage it was not torn apart like outlying regions,  therefore it is unlikely the hall was being used as a refugee center.

The concert itself was free.

As for the project I propose ,  after much thought and discussion I cannot see any problem in going ahead. The money donation s should simply go to the organization designed for that purpose mentioned above.

I will wait two more days for people@s names and then match them to orchestral members. 

Cheers,

Buri

April 4, 2011 at 05:09 AM ·

Can anyone point me to the music for the song that the SendaiPhil had the audience sing at the end of the Kyodo News report that Margaret linked to?

I was wondering about getting a group together to YouTube-sing to the people of Japan, and I am looking for the right song in Japanese, and am wondering if this could be it.

April 5, 2011 at 02:52 AM ·

I have been following this blog since it started.  It offers the first-hand account of what living in the disaster zone has been like since the earthquake and tsunami.  Tremendous progress has been made in Sendai and life is getting a little easier every day, at least, for the lucky ones who did not lose loved ones, and who still have a home to go back to.
www.honolulumagazine.com/Honolulu-Magazine/Sendai-Honolulu-Journal/

April 5, 2011 at 10:45 AM ·

Buri --

You said you'd be pairing v.com volunteers with Sendai Symphony members in the next few days.  Will there be any indication as to the gender of and/or instrument played by the individual we're matched with?

April 5, 2011 at 11:30 AM ·

Greetings,

yes,

I`ll send you all the information.

Cheers,

Buri

April 8, 2011 at 06:39 PM ·

Has anyone heard from Buri again yet? I haven't and I wonder if the matching has taken place or not.

April 8, 2011 at 09:49 PM ·

Greetings,

sorry Yixi. I`m doing it today.  Just been waiting for my Japanese colleagues input.

Cheers,

Buri

April 8, 2011 at 11:02 PM ·

No rush Buri. Just want to make sure I didn't miss anything. Hope all is well.

Yixi

April 12, 2011 at 08:32 AM ·

Greetings,

well, the ball is rolling with twelve v.commies sending letters and or presents to the orchestra as well as some very generous donations of money from various sources.

Japan continues to be hot by what are classified as pretty serious earthquakes everyday and they are affecting the west of the country now.  We have a very efficient broadcast warning system where I live and this after noon for the first time it suddenly burst out with `stand by you are about to be hit by some serious tremors .` while I was in the middle of a well earned cup of coffee at work.

Reminds me of the Haiku by Issa:

Oni to nari

Hotoke to naru ya

Doyou-gumo.

Gargantuan clouds during dog days

Take the shape of a demon

Then change into the Bhudda

Cheers,

Buri

April 12, 2011 at 08:36 AM ·

Greetings again,

laurie asked me if we are writing in English.  The answer is yes.  There are people there with good English. However, if you wish the letter to be translated into Japanese then let me know and i will get it done.

Cheers

buri

April 19, 2011 at 12:18 PM ·

I just wanted to revive this thread -- I had to search back quite a bit to find it.  I plan to get my letter and gift for the SenPhil musician Buri matched me with sent off to Buri in the next day or two.  Just want to keep this project fresh in everyone's mind so it doesn't fizzle out from lack of exposure.  :)

Buri, it's hard to find news about the recovery efforts (except for the disturbing reports about the damaged nuclear plant) -- news reports have moved on to more current business.  How are things going regarding finding more permanent shelter and other basic needs for those displaced by the disaster(s)?  An occasional reminder to us will help us to "stay on our toes" -- even those who can't contribute material assistance can offer prayers and/or positive thoughts!

Thanks again for helping us to help!

April 20, 2011 at 05:52 AM ·

Greetings,

many thanks Marsha.  You are quite right of course. The nature of news being what it is Japan has droppe doff the radar screen to some extent although I know people still care and worry. 

On the whole, the news is not good.  Where to start...

Almost daily occurence of earthquakes/aftershocks.   These tend to be in the 4-5 point range which is quite big ,  but compared to the biggest of all time they seem quite trivial from where I am.  However,    to the people whose lives were virtually wiped out they must be a source of unrelenting trauma.

There is still not enough food getting to everyone.  Still places where people are living on a couple of rice balls a day.  about 500 calories.

There is a rapid and frigtening increas ein the number of deaths from trauma/hardship related causes and established illnesse snot getting medicine.

Tens of thousand sof people are still in school gyms,  templsand so on, eking out a miserable existance with not much hope in sight.   The construction of temporary housing is going ahead full sped but is hampered by of all things,  lack of land to build on.   Its quite logical I suppose. This is a small island when all`s said and done and if one huge area is no longer available where DO you build houses for a few hundred thousand people. They also have to be in a safe place.

The mentla condition of the survivors must be appaling and I cannot imagine the long term effetcs.  It wa sterrible to read the story in the Guardian about a school where many of the studnets and teacher swere killed and yet they are starting again as best they can.  I couldn`t face it.

The effectsa are filtering though to where I live in terms of availabiltiy of produce and food prices.  I am now finding to my utter astonsihment that I can`t find bottled Japanes etea in many stores.   That is like not being able to buy coca cola in America if you`ll forgive the analogy.  The implication is that one of Japan`s cherished industries with depe cultural roots is unable to cope for some reason. Toilet paper,  decent rice and vegetables is shooting up in price and down in term sof availability.

As various aspects of the economy suffer or crash (tourism,  overseas studnets,  car production, micro chips etc) the hardship of individual familes outside the disaster area is going to become enormous and will be increase dby taxation to pay for the damage.

One could sit around all day and list the gloomy stuff with good reason but acts of strength  heroism and generosity both here and from the rets of the world continue to transcend all of this crap.   However, things are never going to be the same again I`m afraid.

Best wishes,

Buri

April 30, 2011 at 08:22 AM ·

Greetings,

gifts from v.commie have slowly been arriving at my house to cheer on the Sendai orchestra.  I will send them as they come instead of en masse.

the weekly news from here is basically:

Greetings,

here are a few breakdowns of the main new stories this week.

The earthquake/tsunami primarily hit 3 prefectures:  Iwate,  Miyagi and Fukushima in North East Japan.   The official death toll is now 14435.  The number of people missing is 11601.

The SDF (basically Japanese army) police and recue services launche da massive search this week for dead bodies although the expectation of recoveing many is –very-low/   (Personally I thought it was interesting that so much money should be spent on such a futile exercise but in one way it makes sense.   Consider the well documented need for `closure` of people with misisng family and then multiply it by ten thousand and the psychological value becomes obvious.)

The number of hospitals/clinics no longer able to function in the three prefectures is 118.  This is a huge number and although the doctors who remain have worked tirelessly to set up small scale clinics and treatment centers there is now a very real danger of total collapse of the medical system in the area.

Police and tropps have began systematically slaughtering cos, pigs and chickens across the three prefectures.  A spokesman stated that `we have no legal basis for doing this but it is necessray for purposes of hygene.`

(This will effectively wipe out farming in the region and is already promoting a massive backlash.  Yesterday protesting farmers took cows up to the front door of the hea doffice of TEPCO (nuclear company) in Tokyo.)

The tsunami has caused massive saltwater damage to farm land making planting of other crops impossible.

The tsunami destroyed 25000 fishing boats which constitute 90% of the fishing industry in the region.  Various plans are being discussed to rebuild the industry as quickly a sposisble including `nationalization.` (However,  the newspaper actually used the word `fumbling around,` in regard to these discusison.)

The question of how to pay for rebuilding half a country is on everyone`s mind at the mind. Various otions have bene discussed including dipping into pension funds.  However, politicians are afraid to do this too overtly because Japan is a country where the aged have parity with the young.  (This lead to the very telling figure that 56 % of the dead were over the age of 60)    The backlach against such a move could be enormous.   Certainly massive raises in taxes are on the way.

The SDF, police and rescue services have been picking up photographs and albums from the debris as they search for bodies. Thes eare carefully lined up under a massive platic tent in the prefectures and thousands of people @pass through everyday looking for a memento of a friend or relative.

Cheers
Buri

May 1, 2011 at 01:17 AM ·

WGBH is running a special series every Sunday morning at 10am ET in May.  It will feature recordings of the Sendai Philharmonic never played outside of Japan.  

"""My desire to find out everything I could about this orchestra was fulfilled when I found Dr. Maureen Murchie, who recently completed a doctoral dissertation about the Sendai Philharmonic. Her expertise is not merely academic: she grew up in Sendai and studied with the concertmaster of the orchestra."""

Now, as we continue to hold the people of Japan in our thoughts, it’s a pleasure to welcome Maureen to 995allclassical.org. During the month of May, Maureen will be contributing a series of pieces about Sendai, its orchestra, and the role of classical music in Japanese culture. In addition, you can hear the Sendai Philharmonic each Sunday morning, in many recordings that have never been broadcast outside of Japan.

As you read and hear, please keep Japan in your thoughts.

For more info

http://www.wgbh.org/articles/-2813

Listen Sunday mornings at 10am ET here:

http://www.wgbh.org/includes/playerPopStream.cfm?station=objAllClassical

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe