The 2011 International Tchaikovsky Competition Has Announced the Violin Competitors And Will be Video streaming many shows!

March 23, 2011 at 11:42 PM ·

The violinists for the 2011 competition have been announced.

http://www.tchaikovsky-competition.com/en/press/news/2011/2011_03_03

Many shows will be video streamed LIVE as well.
http://www.tchaikovsky-competition.com/en/press/news

The competitors:

VIOLIN

• Christopher Tun Andersen (Norway)
  • Nigel Armstrong (USA)
  • Hrachya Avanesyan (Armenia)
  • Andrey Baranov (Russia)
  • Sergey Dogadin (Russia)
  • Yoo Jin Jang (South Korea)
  • Dalibor Karvay (Slovakia)
  • Fabiola Kim (USA)
  • Mayu Kishima (Japan)
  • Tessa Lark (USA)
  • Jehye Lee (South Korea)
  • Marisol Lee (South Korea)
  • Sergey Malov (Russia)
  • Albrecht Menzel (Germany)
  • Pavel Milyukov (Russia)
  • Ivan Pochekin (Russia)
  • Aylen Pritchin (Russia)
  • Fedor Roudine (France)
  • Oleksii Semenenko (Ukraine)
  • Elena Semenova (Russia)
  • Eric Silberger (USA)
  • Lev Solodovnikov (Russia)
  • Yu-Chien Tseng (Taiwan)
  • Julia Turnovsky (Austria)
  • Xiang Yu (China)
  • Nancy Zhou (USA)
  • Itamar Zorman (Israel)

Replies (52)

April 25, 2011 at 11:18 PM ·

The times and venues for all the different competitions have been announced, but there isn't any info about who is playing at what times in the initial rounds.  I have sent them an email about whether the performances will be archived, but I haven't heard anything back yet.

The violin competition will be held in St. Petersburg starting June 16th

1pm St. Petersburg is 5am Eastern time. 7pm St. Petersburg is 11am ET.   Moscow and St. Petersburg are 1 hour ahead of Helsinki, two hours ahead of Central European Time, and three hours ahead of London.

http://www.tchaikovsky-competition.com/en/2011/competition_schedule

May 1, 2011 at 03:42 AM ·

I still haven't heard anything back from the Tchaikovsky competition; however, according to the St. Petersburg Phil website, that orchestra will accompany the violinists in the third round of the competition.

See here:

http://www.philharmonia.spb.ru/eng/afishad2011-6.html
June, 25-30
XIV International Tchaikovsky Competition
Violin, Third round
ST.PETERSBURG PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA
Conductor – Nikolai ALEXEEV

June 7, 2011 at 07:40 PM ·

My questions to the Tchaikovsky compeitition and the answers to them in CAPITAL letters.

First of all, will all rounds be streamed live on the internet or just some of them YES EXCEPT VOICE ROUND 1

Will these streams be archived and if so for how long? 3 YEARS

When are you going to post a time schedule of whom is playing what, when? AFTER THEY DRAW NUMBERS—A DAY BEFIRE THE FIRST ROUND OF EACH DISCIPLINE I

Which orchestras will you be using in Moscow and St. Petersburg?  FOR THE VIOLIN COMPETITION ST. PETERSBURG PHILHAMONIC/MARIINSKY CHAMBER ORCHESTRA

Will the opening concert be streamed as well? YES

June 9, 2011 at 03:35 PM ·

I don't know how the colours ended up there. (Colours and CAPS...that sure is overkill!)

Here is a video explanation of all the streaming that will happen.

http://www.tchaikovsky-competition.tv/

June 9, 2011 at 08:29 PM ·

The opening show will be streamed LIVE Tuesday June 14 at 11am ET, 4pm London 17h Central European time (7pm Moscow) here:  http://www.tchaikovsky-competition.tv/

The National Philharmonic Orchestra of Russia(NPOR) will be conducted by Vladimir Spivakov.  Here is some program information, but I don't know the specific repetoire, but I'm trying to find out. (I know a bassoonist in NPOR, and I'm hoping he'll tell me.)

14    June 2011
Big Hall of Moscow Conservatory
Opening Concert of Tchaikovsky Competition
Shostakovich, Tchaikovsky, Donizetti, Verdi, Gounod, Aliabiev Soloists: Albina Shagimuratova, soprano Denis Matsuev, piano Conductor - Vladimir Spivakov

June 12, 2011 at 11:26 PM ·

Here is the violin channel.  You'll need to sign up, but it is a quick process.

http://pitch.paraclassics.com/#/live/violin

June 14, 2011 at 11:09 PM ·

John,

I had some problems too, especially at the beginning.  I missed the first 15-20 minutes as I just couldn't get the stream to start.  Furthermore, the audio and video were not in sync.  Sometimes this problem was really bad.

About midway through the Tchaikovsky concerto, things began to get a little better, and I only had a couple hiccups (starting and stopping) the rest of the way except for the out of sync issue.

The video quality was also poor.  Rarely did I have good image quality.  The sound was better. It didn't compare to the Berlin Philharmonic Digital Concert Hall.

Did things get any better for you?  What about for everyone else?

Delmar

June 15, 2011 at 03:18 PM ·

Until today, 27 violin competitors were listed, and now only 24 are showing.  The missing names are Elena Semenova, Nancy Zhou, and Itamar Zorman.  I am particularly concerned about Nancy, who is a personal friend and is from my city.  I know she made it to St. Petersburg.  Does anyone know what's going on?

June 15, 2011 at 03:27 PM ·

Nancy Zhou is to play tomorrow at 15.00, says the timetable published here http://www.forumklassika.ru/showthread.php?t=75439&p=1118320#post1118320

June 15, 2011 at 03:49 PM ·

Finally the streams are working!!!! at 11:50am ET on Wednesday...

piano

http://pitch.paraclassics.com/piano.html

Cello

http://pitch.paraclassics.com/cello.html

June 15, 2011 at 04:05 PM ·

It's fun to try to read Russian!  Here is the link that Marina provided:

http://www.forumklassika.ru/showthread.php

I suppose YU Xiang is not competing, or did I miss it?

TSENG Yu-Chien will be playing on 6/18 at 19:00... Go Benny (Yu-Chien)!  :)

June 15, 2011 at 04:11 PM ·

Marina, thank you so much.  I am very relieved — I was afraid something awful had happened!  They really need to correct that list of competitors on the competition website, though.

June 15, 2011 at 06:27 PM ·

Welcome, everybody )

I can only differ somebody sounding as Yutzing Czhan rather (18th of June at 22.10)

Pianists started today, and people say that online showing is much better than yesterday. 

June 15, 2011 at 06:54 PM ·

Marina, Yutzing Czhan should be Yoo Jin Jang from South Korea.

Johann Paetsch posted the schedule in his blog (currently at v.com home page). Unfortunately the list seems to be translated from Russian, and it fails miserably when it comes to spelling Asian competitors' names and identifying their nationalities:

Nancy Chow -> Nancy Zhou (USA)
Yu-Chien Jen (South Korea) -> Yu-Chien Tseng (Taiwan)
Yutszin Zhang -> Yoo Jin Jang (South Korea)

[Edit] Laurie has fixed the list at the blog. Thanks Laurie! 

June 15, 2011 at 08:42 PM ·

Someone in the team whose responsibility is the english part of the site should be ashamed...

Very misteriously Nancy Zhou is missing in the competitor's list up to now...

An attempt to download the schedule immediately crashed my browser...

But Glazunov hall is still the same famous and legendary Maly Zal of SPb Conservatory where early triumphs of Auer's nestlings took place, so who is interested to see it, those pay attention ))

June 16, 2011 at 03:40 AM ·

The first couple of days from a streaming point of view haven't gone very well; however, each day has seen some improvement.  Hopefully Thursday at 5am ET, 10h London, 11h Central European, the violin stream will start on time.  The opening concert wasn't viewable for the opening 20 minutes, except for Putin's speech!  The cello opening wasn't viewable, but after a while it and the piano competition did come on.

Keep a cool head and expect some problems.

The sync between the sound and picture hasn't been very good.  Expect some problems in this regard..

All the times below posted by Johann Paetsch are Moscow Time.  Subtract 8 hours for East Coast USA time.

To see the stream try here:

http://pitch.paraclassics.com/

or maybe here:

http://pitch.paraclassics.com/Welcome.aspx

ALL TIMES MOSCOW 

June 16

13:00 Paul Milyukov (Russia)
14:00 Fedor Roudine (France)
15:00 Nancy Zhou (USA)

19:00 Nigel Armstrong (USA)
20:00 Mayu Kishima (Japan)
21:10 Marisol Lee (South Korea)
22:10 Christopher Tun Anderson (Norway)

June 17

13:00 Andrey Baranov (Russia)
14:00 Albrecht Menzel (Germany)
15:00 Lena Semenova (Ukraine)

19:00 Sergey Dogadin (Russia)
20:00 Jehye Dzhehe Lee (South Korea)
21.10 Ivan Pochekin (Russia)
22:10 Julie Thurnovsky (Austria)

June 18

13:00 Itamar Zorman
14:00 Fabiola Kim (USA)
15:00 Tessa Lark (USA)

19:00  Yu-Chien Tseng (Taiwan)

20:00 Lev Solodovnikov (Russia)
21:10 Oleksii Semenenko (Ukraine)
22:10 Yoo Jin Jang (South Korea)

June 19

13:00 Eric Silberger (USA)

14:00 Aylen Pritchin (Russia) 

June 16, 2011 at 04:01 AM ·

I believe this list was copied from Johann Paetsch's blog, and there are still errors and omissions:

Paul Milyukov (Russia) -> Pavel Milyukov (Russia)
Lena Semenova (Ukraine) -> Elena Semenova (Russia)
Jehye Dzhehe Lee (South Korea) -> Jehye Lee (South Korea)
Julie Thurnovsky (Austria) -> Julia Turnovsky (Austria)
Itamar Zorman -> Itamar Zorman  (Israel)

June 19, 2011 at 03:47 PM ·

The channel is working for me.   Eric Silberger is about to play as of now (I suppose it's a replay)...

pitch.paraclassics.com/#/live/violin

If you haven't registered, you will need to type in your email address, username, and password (twice), then click the "Register" link...

June 19, 2011 at 03:50 PM ·

These violin competitors have made it to the second round.  The youngest violinist who goes to Curtis, Yu-Chieng Tseng, has advanced!

Nancy Zhou (USA)
Nigel Armstrong (USA)
Marisol Lee (South Korea)
Andrey Baranov (Russia)
Sergey Dogadin (Russia)
Jehye Lee (South Korea)
Ivan Pochekin (Russia)
Itamar Zorman (Israel)
Yu-Chien Tseng (Taiwan)
Oleksii Semenenko (Ukraine)
Eric Silberger (USA)
Aylen Pritchin (Russia)

June 19, 2011 at 03:50 PM ·

Go Benny / Yu-Chien! :)

June 20, 2011 at 05:07 AM ·

It is 1am ET on Monday morning, and the 2nd round violin schedule is NOT yet posted; however cello is.

You can find the cello posting and hopefully the violin posting soon at this link in Russian:

http://www.tchaikovsky-competition.com/ru/the_tchaikovsky/schedule

June 20, 2011 at 08:14 AM ·

The Round II violin order is posted, here:

http://www.tchaikovsky-competition.com/en/2011/violin/order-II-round

June 21, 2011 at 03:49 PM ·

You can also try this link:

http://media.mariinsky.ru/online/

June 22, 2011 at 04:02 AM ·

don't forget to check out the cello competition...   the cello repertoire is really interesting.   and there are very exciting performances. ..   especially after hearing the bach ciaccone played two dozen times by both violinists and pianists..  ( i don't know how the judges do it)

June 22, 2011 at 06:06 AM ·

The following competitors will advance to Round II, Phase II:

Nigel Armstrong (USA)
Andrey Baranov (Russia)
Sergey Dogadin (Russia)
Jehye Lee (South Korea)
Aylen Pritchin (Russia)
Eric Silberger (USA)
Yu-Chien Tseng (Taiwan)
Itamar Zorman (Israel)

Go Benny/Yu-Chien! :)

June 22, 2011 at 06:27 PM ·

I'm listening to Oleksii Semenenko playing the Sonata by Richard Strauss. Awesome!

edit, a few minutes later: a lady from the audience must have thought it awesome too, for she went on stage with a bunch of flowers.

June 23, 2011 at 12:17 AM ·

Round II, Phase II Schedule

June 23

19:00-19:35 - Nigel Armstrong (USA)
19:45-20:20 - Andrey Baranov (Russia)

20-minute intermission

20:40-21:15 - Sergey Dogadin (Russia)
21:25- 22:00 - Jehye Lee (South Korea)

June 24

19:00-19:35 - Itamar Zorman (Israel)
19:45-20:20 - Yu-Chien Tseng (Taiwan)

20-minute intermission

20:40-21:15 - Eric Silberger (USA)
21:25- 22:00 - Aylen Pritchin (Russia)

June 23, 2011 at 03:50 PM ·

John, do you use a PC or a Mac? What browser? Are you able to login at all?  If the problem is that you can log in but cannot see the video, install Microsoft Silverlight if you have a PC and have not done so. If it still doesn't work, try a different browser, delete cookies, and/or uninstall & reinstall Silverlight.   If nothing works, you might post on www.facebook.com/XIVTchaikovsky, and see if someone from the organization can help you. The last resort is the online radio: www.muzcentrum.ru/orfeus/live-128/ .

Also, all is not lost for you. When you are able to get on the page, click "menu" on the left side, and select "archives", every performance (including the piano and cello) is there. What a feast!

BTW, check out Yu-Chien Tseng's Paganini Caprice #5 (from 39:43) if nothing else - the audience could not get enough of him!
http://pitch.paraclassics.com/#/archive/concert/143

June 23, 2011 at 03:55 PM ·

It's even worse, John: they had kicked Mr. Semenenko out before I wrote my -- admittedly not very colourful -- impression. What I liked about him, apart from his solid violin playing, was his somewheat introverted approach to the music and his quest for beauty of sound. I do have difficulty putting this into words, English words at that. Just as well that I did not choose reporting as a career.

But why are you reading all this? You have made it obvious that you don't like the whole thing.

June 24, 2011 at 04:17 PM ·

John, there is a Linux program called Moonlight. It's part of the Mono development project. Did you try it?

edit: foolish question. You mentioned it in one of your posts.

June 24, 2011 at 07:10 PM ·

John, you seem to have to fight with computer issues often. Linux was not designed for non-geeks...  It's so not worth it! Get an iPad - even my three-year-old nephew can use it. In fact, he was able to make a purchase of a wagon of Smurfberries for US$100 in real money and he can't even read yet... :)

June 24, 2011 at 07:16 PM ·

5 Violin Finalists in  competition...

Int'l Tchaikovsky  

Int'l Tchaikovsky  

June 25, 2011 at 04:11 PM ·

At NOON ET Saturday they are streaming a  rehearsal of a Bartok Concerto LIVE on the violin channel!

June 26, 2011 at 07:21 PM ·

Finals start MONDAY 11AM ET, 4pm London, 17h Central European, 19h Moscow.

Google Translation may misspell the names of some contestants.  I regret this error in advance.

ALL TIMES ARE MOSCOW.  For ET subtract 8 hours. For CT 9 hours ET. For Central European subtract 2 hours.
19h=11am ET, etc.
If you go here and register:

Then log in and look over on the left for MENU......you can find the LIVE stream for Violin (All performances will be archived!)

St. Petersburg Philharmonic with Nikolai Alexeev 

June 27 11am ET
19:00 Nigel Armstrong (USA) 
Tchaikovsky. Concerto for Violin and Orchestra in D major, op.35 
19:40 Sergei Dogadin (Russia) 
Shostakovich. Concerto number 1 for Violin and Orchestra in A minor, Op. 77 
Break 20 minutes 
20:40 Jeha Lee (Korea) 
Itamar Zorman 21:20 (Israel) 
A. Berg. Concerto for Violin and Orchestra ("In memory of an angel") 

June 28 11AM ET
19:00 Eric Silberger (USA) 
19:40 Nigel Armstrong (USA) 
S. Prokofiev. Concerto number 1 for Violin and Orchestra in D Major, soch.19 
Break 20 minutes 
20:40 Sergei Dogadin (Russia) 

June 29 11AM ET 
19:00 Jeha Lee (Korea) 
B. Bartok. Concerto number 2 for Violin and Orchestra, BB 117 
Itamar Zorman 19:50 (Israel) 
Break 20 minutes 
20:40 Eric Silberger (USA) 
Brahms. Concerto for Violin and Orchestra in D Major, soch.77

Award Ceremony

June 30 NOON ET
Beginning at 20:00

Tchaikovsky Concert Hall. Tchaikovsky
Moscow Triumphal Square., d. 4 / 31
Gala-concert of winners in Moscow

July 1
Beginning at 19:00...11AM ET

Great Hall of the Moscow State Conservatory. Tchaikovsky
Moscow, Bolshaya Nikitskaya 13

Gala-concert of winners in St. Petersburg

July 2
Beginning at 19:00...11AM ET
Mariinsky Theatre Concert Hall
St. Petersburg, ul. 37 Dekabristov

June 26, 2011 at 11:43 PM ·

Some Drama in the Cello Competition!

Scroll down and look to the left here:

http://www.tchaikovsky-competition.com/en/

Official Statement

The Organizing Committee of the XIV International Tchaikovsky Competition regards as insulting the statements addressed by Artistic Director of the Svetlanov State Symphony Orchestra of Russia Mark Gorenstein to competition participant Narek Hakhnazaryan.

We consider that words reflecting on an individual's dignity do damage to the creative atmosphere that we have worked so hard to establish. The purpose of the Tchaikovsky Competition is to support young musicians, and every one of the competition's organizers and participants is obliged to treat its competitors with the utmost respect.

June 27, 2011 at 12:04 AM ·

The conductor Mark Gorenstein made insulting (some would consider them racist) remarks and gave unprofessional instructions to the orchestra about the Armanian cellist Narek Hakhnazaryan during a rehearsal (Hakhnazaryan was not present):

Note: Regarding the "Nashimoto's cousin" remark - Tomomi Nishimoto is a Japanese female conductor, who is currently the principle guest conductor of the State Symphony Orchestra of Russia where Gorenstein is the music director, so apparently he has no respect for his colleague either.

June 27, 2011 at 12:16 AM ·

Joyce......that was my thought, but I didn't know that for sure.

June 27, 2011 at 12:27 AM ·

I was very disappointed that Fabiola Kim, Marisol Lee and Nancy Zhou are not in the finals, they are all exceptional violinists and I think they are good enough to be in the finals. Anyone want to venture a guess as to why they are not? Also don't you find it strange that there are no women on either of the juries for the violin, cello or piano competition, except Mutter joining in the last round of the Violin? This is the first year in several years this has happened. And there are no women in the final round or second round - phase two of the cello competition, this looks very fishy to me. I think a jury panel should be composed of half women and half male to ensure a even representation and that no gender equality is displayed. I'm happy to see Jehylee and Yum Eol Kim in the finals. But very disappointed not to see Janina Ruh play the Haydn or Tchaikovsky solo pieces, due to her being axed. Thoughts?

June 27, 2011 at 02:43 PM ·

The incident at the cello competition has been settled.

http://www.epress.am/en/2011/06/27/russian-symphony-conductor-apologizes-for-insulting-armenian-cellist.html

June 27, 2011 at 05:44 PM ·

So a competitor, playing at the top of his game, puts himself in this incredibly stressful situation, only to be abused.

June 27, 2011 at 09:57 PM ·

Today they played with a different conductor, Gorenstein was said to be ill. 

June 27, 2011 at 11:20 PM ·

If anyone watched the interview with Mutter, they would see mutter's not only there to judge the competition, she's there to see if anyone's talented enough for her foundation. Maybe Jehye Lee? They both seem to enjoy wearing shoulderless flashy dresses and are sporting the same haircut...

June 28, 2011 at 08:06 AM ·

I can't believe Aylen Pritchin didn't advance!!!! Such a captivating violinist.  I predict Dogadin to win, but Silberger might pull off a very hearty Brahms. I'm looking forward to Zorman's Tchaikovsky. They have done such a fine job with the webcast and the stories as well.

June 28, 2011 at 12:06 PM ·

Was anyone able to see the live stream yesterday? I wasn't.. it didn't work.. and none of the Violin performances from round 3 are archived! I was so looking forward to see the finals. =(

June 28, 2011 at 02:28 PM ·

Sarah,

I did see it yes, and I know some others did too.  I'm sure that eventually the performances will be archived. 

Delmar

June 28, 2011 at 05:05 PM ·

I live in the PDT time zone and saw all of the performances on the 27th in the late afternoon. The stream replayed itself until about 2am when I then caught a bit of what looked to be a second rehearsal of Eric Silberger (he was wearing a different shirt than the Sunday rehearsal).

June 29, 2011 at 02:29 AM ·

I saw part of Eric Silberger's excellent Tchaikovsky today. I know his grandfather, bowmaker John Hsu, have met Eric once, he's a protege of Glenn Dicterow - so I'm biased toward him, while wishing everyone the best! I found that when the commentators were talking, the volume level was normal, but as soon as the music started, the sound was weak. Anybody else experience that?

June 29, 2011 at 09:40 AM ·

Yes sound went weak for a while then came back later. I was most impressed by Eric Silberger particularly when rehearsing the Brahms the other day.

June 30, 2011 at 04:34 PM ·

The Tchaikovsky awards ceremony is LIVE now at 12:30pm ET on Thursday June 30th.
register:

or if you have already registered.
http://pitch.paraclassics.com/#/live/piano

July 2, 2011 at 02:13 PM ·

The second laureate concert of the 2011 Tchaikovsky competition will be today, Saturday July 2nd at 11 am Eastern at this link.  It will be archived.

http://pitch.paraclassics.com/#/live/gala-stpete

As far as I know, this will be the program:

program
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tchaikovsky-competition.com%2Fru%2Fthe_tchaikovsky%2Fschedule%2Fgala

The Moscow Gala is already archived here:

http://pitch.paraclassics.com/#/live/gala-moscow

July 2, 2011 at 02:33 PM ·

The concert may be late in starting (the countdown clock indicates that it might start at Noon ET.)

The show will be well over 3 hours long!! 

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe