Interesting Del Gesu tryout

March 21, 2011 at 08:42 PM ·

Found this link in another forum:

www.youtube.com/watch

Pretty good player, and good insight from his non-violinist companion. The lighter his touch, the better the sound. even on my lousy laptop speakers. The second violin sounded quite nice as well, but I thought the difference between the Del Gesu and the other, unknown instrument was distinct.

I understand this may all be relative, and that even the masters made some clunkers, but for those highly accomplished violinists who have had the opportunity to try some absolutely top-notch violins, is it true that the better the quality of instrument, the less effort required to make it sound beautiful?

Replies (22)

March 21, 2011 at 09:10 PM ·

I always listen with my headset - that way $M instruments sound like $M. The DG sounded fantastic. The non-violinist listener's remarks indicate to me that she has good hearing and this is not the right kind of (size) room for her to listen to that kind of fiddle playing.

The DG seems to have a lot more low end than the 2nd violin, but it is hard to say that it has less or weaker overtones, just that it sounded more "rounded" to me. It never sounded "over-played" to me, either.

Also, notice the sounding points he uses (bow position on strings) for playing the violins - in that room.

Andy

March 21, 2011 at 09:16 PM ·

I believe he is Igor Yuzefovich, of Maryland, a member here.

March 21, 2011 at 10:57 PM ·

And the room is in Christopher Landon shop in NYC.

www.manfio.com

March 22, 2011 at 01:15 AM ·

a dynamic player....good mix of muscles and sensitivity.

just another great sounding violin in the hands of a great player...boring:)

March 22, 2011 at 01:47 AM ·

Hi,

The violinist is indeed Igor Yuzefovich, the assistant concertmaster of the Baltimore Symphony, and as usual he is sounding excellent.  Way to go Igor!  A lucky moment for the player and for the instrument!  Thanks for posting.

Cheers!

March 22, 2011 at 01:48 AM ·

Unbridled power.  Oh, let me have a go!!!

March 22, 2011 at 09:27 AM ·

John

"The room has rubbish acoustics though.  It has to be said."

Yes, you are right. It's just like all those other over resonant dealers rooms worldwide! It's to fool people into think instruments sound good. (I'm not saying that del boy Gesu didn't!!)

Also, the camcorder she used to video had good picture quality, but like all camcoders it would have had a $5 mic. (Sound is never considered important on video cameras, even the expensive ones).

March 22, 2011 at 03:00 PM ·

Despite $5 mic, it still shows difference between a great instrument and an unknown one. In fact, it doesn't take a great mic to hear the difference. One problem with most camera's mic is that they compress/limit the sound, or simply level them so that whatever source came into the mic is always loud. It'll make softer part as loud as louder part (some can be very extreme though usually the ambience sound is the one that'll fill up the volume first).

March 22, 2011 at 03:33 PM ·

There were 6 or 7 resonant cellos standing around uncased in that room.  That surely must have had some effect on the acoustics.

March 22, 2011 at 05:58 PM ·

Andrew, I did notice the sounding point. Interesting.

Even with rubbish acoustics and resonant 'cellos, that's an enviable position to be in. Igor's a lucky man.

March 22, 2011 at 07:41 PM ·

And even with all those resonant cellos - he still managed to play in tune!!

(Sorry, couldn't resist that one ...!!)

March 25, 2011 at 03:54 PM ·

Hey, let's not cut Stradivari out of this discussion!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzZAjIx_yac

March 25, 2011 at 04:47 PM ·

That's Pinky before he learned how to play. He's demonstrating the "Notta" Strad. :p)

Actually, that was the video I was thinking of when replying to a different thread. Too funny!

March 27, 2011 at 03:10 PM ·

Oh, aren't you meant to sound like that? THAT's where I may have been going wrong ...

March 28, 2011 at 08:56 PM ·

Cool video. My favorite was the 2nd violin he tried though the high G string was not easy to play.  It was darker and the sound was more soulful.  As for overplaying I actually disagree (just imho).  This violinist has to play like in a concert hall to test them the best he can.  In a concert hall the listeners won't be as close as his friend was in the room.  He didn't look tense or anything so it wasn't too "muscular" (as she told) to my ears...  Any violin will blast in a small room.  He wasn't crushing the sound.  (if he would, we would hear scratch and buzz etc) Againb all this is just imho

Very good violins and player!

March 28, 2011 at 09:17 PM ·

Here is Shlomo Mintz, playing Paganini's Cannone. He first bows it around 1'40":-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOSH4mBxFqs

The second part.. Mintz begins to bow about 3'24":-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn5UTSGZoCE

gc

March 28, 2011 at 09:52 PM ·

RE: Cannone:

1. A bone Nut!

2. Museum has strung with modern strings.

3. Changes the strings to Dominants.

4. Peg dope.

5. What is the red stuff stuck to the scroll--looks like sealing wax?

March 29, 2011 at 10:24 AM ·

RE: Cannone:

"1. A bone Nut!"

The curator describes it as ivory. It is probably the way Paganini played it

"2. Museum has strung with modern strings."

The violin is normally exhibited with period strings (pure gut E, A and D, and a wound G) and a period bridge. These are switched when it is used in a performance, according to player preference.

"5. What is the red stuff stuck to the scroll--looks like sealing wax?"

It is a wax seal placed on the back in 1851 by the City of Genoa when they took ownership of the violin after Paganinis death. It was Paganini's wish that the violin go to the city.  It's the same type of seal, bearing the impression of a stamp, which was used on official documents, or to show authenticity, or ownership; or like the seal which is sometimes seen on the closure of a letter envelope. Later, it was removed from the back, and re-attached at its present location for unknown reasons. It remains because its considered part of the instrument's history.

March 29, 2011 at 02:29 PM ·

@ John, you wrote:-

"He`s demonstrating how a Strad is capable of making a very ugly sound as well.

This is the Pinchas video reference to save confusion."

no no no!

It is a spoof! The clue is in the word "shreds".

There is a YouTube poster called StSanders who popularised this form of musical parody. The first one I saw was of Santana. He was TERRIBLE.  I just thought he was really stoned. Then I got it. There are fantastic spoofs of Clapton, Paco Pena, Steve Vai, Oscar Peterson, and many more. usually under the title "X Shreds"

This Zukerman vid is the first classical "shreds"  I have seen.

There are others...

gc

March 29, 2011 at 03:01 PM ·

Check out StSander's Heatless. Priceless!

March 30, 2011 at 01:33 AM ·

JC - you telling me Paganini wasn't the archetypal early C19th shredder?

meh!

gc

hehehheeh!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe