Jascha Heifetz Documentary

March 21, 2011 at 07:41 PM ·

I understand that the long awaited documentary on Jascha Heifetz is being introduced at the Colburn Music School this coming April 16, 2011.  I had a conversation last Nov with Ayke Agus and she told me that they were working on it.  She is an advisor.  I don't know anything more than this for now, but I am sure as time goes we will learn of the contents.  Should be exciting.  I know its traces his early years in Russia.  Charles Bott

Replies (20)

March 21, 2011 at 07:44 PM ·

I have heard the same thing! Here is a link to the production company: http://www.peterrosenproductions.com/productions/jaschaheifetz/

And here is the general info about the event: 

The Colburn School in downtown Los Angeles is pleased to announce the world premiere of the documentary Jascha Heifetz: God's Fiddler. The film provides unprecedented access to Heifetz's home movies and interviews with former students, Heifetz biographers, and musicians including Itzhak Perlman and Ivry Gitlis. A panel discussion featuring Heifetz scholars Dario Sarlo and Arthur Vered as well as former student and creative collaborator Ayke Agus will follow.  

Event Details:

Saturday, April, 16th at 5:00pm

Zipper Hall

The Colburn School

200 S. Grand Avenue

Los Angeles, CA 90012

Tickets are $10 General Admission and are on sale at 213-621-1050 or at www.colburnschool.edu

March 23, 2011 at 12:01 PM ·

Sounds exciting! I hope that they will soon make available DVD's for the public to buy.

March 23, 2011 at 03:34 PM ·

Wonderful. This sort of thing is long overdue. I'm looking forward to it too.

March 24, 2011 at 04:13 AM ·

Sounds great, I'm going, thanks for the heads up!

March 24, 2011 at 09:12 PM ·

O MY GOD!!!

March 26, 2011 at 01:23 PM ·

hey i dont know what you are talking about.... im jsut excited about the heifetz film, something we've all been waiting for... and im not religious lol, just an expression

March 27, 2011 at 03:02 AM ·

Exciting news for all Heifetz fans!

Also in case if you have not already heard, Sony just released a new 104 disk Jascha Heifetz Collection a few days ago.  I just got mine yesterday from Amazon.com.  Apparently the collection has set the new record in the Guinness Book of World Records for the largest release for a compilation from one artist.

Here's the information from Jascha Heifetz's website.: 

ny"March 3rd, 2011

"In what the Guinness Book of World Records is considering to be the largest ever release devoted to the work of a sin gle instrumentalist, Sony Classics has released a box set of 104 discs (103 music CDs and a DVD) devoted to the recorded legacy of Jascha Heifetz.

Sony used a special Italian production facility to create a limited number of the sets, all of which have already been ordered by the record company’s international territories. According to Sony, once sold out, the set will not be reproduced, ensuring its place as a collector’s item."

March 27, 2011 at 03:28 AM ·

Is there a contents list somewhere?  I already have the RCA Heifetz Collection...

March 27, 2011 at 04:53 AM ·

Dare i ask how much such a set will cost? BTW, I inquired of the producer of the DVD when it will be available to the general public. He said Late 2011 to early 2012. I can't wait that long! :-(

March 27, 2011 at 07:23 AM ·

$296.27 on amazon, ouch!  I was thinking about a driving down to see the movie at Colburn but will also wait for the DVD.

March 27, 2011 at 01:47 PM ·

my violin teacher is actually related to him. its quite interesting

March 28, 2011 at 05:55 AM ·

Hi Jon, I pulled up the contents list from this website

It was a little under $300 Raphael.  But I figured it was a good investment, and I had an Amazon gift card from Hannukah/Christmas (Chrismukkah) :D

March 28, 2011 at 06:52 PM ·

I have ordered my ticket from the Colburn. Will check my digital watch carefully before departing,must be sure that I`m not too early or late.

March 28, 2011 at 11:19 PM ·

...or the ghost of H. will lock the gate!

March 29, 2011 at 03:00 AM ·

That's less than 3 dollars per disc!

March 29, 2011 at 08:40 AM ·

At 1h playing time per CD that's four whole days nonstop, or three months at listening to one CD per day. One could practise seven full hours each week for three months instead.

March 29, 2011 at 02:18 PM ·

Thanks for the punch line Raphael. I`ve been inside the restored Heifetz Studio at the Colburn, and looking at the never used Heifetz desk chair got a very eerie feeling.

March 29, 2011 at 07:23 PM ·

Cool!

June 6, 2011 at 12:35 PM ·

Does anyone know if this new DVD has come out for the general public yet?

June 6, 2011 at 01:20 PM ·

According to Amazon,the DVD will be released July 26.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe