Arnold Schwarzennegger plays fiddle !

March 15, 2011 at 07:50 PM ·

This is Arnold's third movie, and the first movie in which he spoke words . . .

www.youtube.com/watch

. . . so its an artistic break through in several areas.  Enjoy.

Replies (20)

March 15, 2011 at 10:45 PM ·

I always wondered what it would be like to teach an actor everything they needed to know about looking good on the violin!  Didn't Russell Crowe brag about studying the violin for 6 months for Master and Commander?  I'm not sure he looked any better than "The Austrian Oak" here!

March 15, 2011 at 11:28 PM ·

He sure don't have problems due to a too light arm...  Gee, another one who can benefit easilly from the gravity (i.e. violinist's best friend)! 

March 16, 2011 at 01:33 AM ·

His biggest problem would most likely be fighting gravity... :)

If you haven't seen it, at least take a minute to watch a bit of the 1977 doc "Pumping Iron", which follows Arnold, Lou Ferrigno and others en route to the Mr. Universe and Mr. Olympia titles.  I actually find it inspiring for practicing!  And it's a reminder that performing (because that's what these guys ultimately do, pose in competition against each other) is about much more than just the work you put in and the technical perfection you achieve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBHu_wi5FaI

March 16, 2011 at 01:43 AM ·

Yes...  too much is like not ennough but I don't judge people's tastes (some find violin so weird too...) and I agree with the last things he says on that youtube video.  

And remember violinists "Breakfast is the most important meal" : ) Seriously

March 16, 2011 at 03:25 AM ·

Greetings,

breakfast?  Not necessarily.   Some Ayuvedic practitioners recommend not etaing unitl much later in the day.  It has a lot to do with body clasification.   Me?  I love breakfast, at leats three times in the morning...

Cheers,

Buri

March 16, 2011 at 03:51 AM ·

Hi, funny, they are forever publishing studies here that tell that eating breakfast will make you slimmer because we're made to eat when we get up for a whole day and need a "start" energy.  Not when we're going to bed. 

Anyway that breakfast thing comes to my mind because one of my bio teachers was rather good at imitating Arnold... and told that in a movie scene, he puts everything in the blender which makes a disgusting blend and then tells that breakfast is the most important meal...  

I guess that's another thread for Smiley ; )  

www.youtube.com/watch  (blender scene is just after the beginning scene of the man and his gun) 

March 16, 2011 at 03:59 AM ·

Greetings,

certainly true about before bed (depending on who you are with and hwat time....)

One problme Jpaanese men have had is that they work until late and then eat late at home with resulting digestion and weight gain problems.

Cheers,

Buri

March 17, 2011 at 12:34 PM ·

Actually, breakfast is completely worthless, except for a psychological need many people develop.

You don't burn any of the fuel you eat until at least 24 hrs later.  That's simply a fact.  It must be first broken down & stored as glycogen.  Then, later that is broken down into glucose, which fuels the ATP-ADP process.  It simply cannot happen directly.

When I was an Olympic-hopeful athlete, training at Colorado Springs, the first thing out coach did was to have us skip breakfast for a week, while cycling 90-150 miles a day.  He wanted to beak us of the habit of "needing" breakfast, and of obsessing over what we ate.  He was right, it makes no difference.

March 17, 2011 at 01:19 PM ·

I know that cycle but what do you do of all these scientific studies who tell people who eat beakfast are slimmer???  They are not done by psychologists : )   And one can eat fruit and yogourt for breakfast too...

I can't say if these studies are true or not but I've eaten healthy breakfasts for 22 years and have always remain slim compare to many of my fellow age girls who gain weight or have unstable weight (and often unstable eating habits...).   But I know people work differently.  Some only eat two times a day but they eat more per meal and get used to that.   

When you were training, you still surely had to eat ennough for your needs whether it was at morning or at another time of the day, no?  Maybe your trainer wanted to make you strong psychologically and not food dependant so he put the fault on something and it happened to be breakfast...  : )     There's a few ways used by army and trainors to toughen up people.  They target anything that's essential: food, sleep, shower time, shelter etc  Imho that's also psychological.  But I have no doubt one can get use to it as humans are adaptative beeings.

My cousin is making his military service in Switzerland and the first thing they did was to not allow them to sleep more than 4 hours per night, 3 min showers, control food etc   

Perhaps the most important thing is just to eat ennough for one's needs and be aware of how your metabolism/activity state change over years. 

March 17, 2011 at 01:40 PM ·

as much as i fancy a person's first name starting with a and l,  i cannot believe anne marie went along with allan's bs:)   goes to show people love v.com because they can freely express themselves:)   there is a difference between teaching people discipline/mental toughness and optimizing physical performance.  

http://scienceline.org/2008/07/blog-mahan-cheeseburgers/

if allan's macho cycling coach were not into nutty stuff as described but instead subscribed to real science or even common sense, allan might have competed next to lance in those years,,,

it is complete bs to suggest that the glucose we intake will be factually, completely converted into glucogen and that it has to be used the next day.  perhaps it is true if you have already eaten 20 burgers in one setting and your 21st will go into storage, but for regular daily dietary routines with regular physical exertion, a portion of glucose will be used immediately for cellular activity upon absorption (in fact brain runs only on glucose and the need is constant; you may not effectively sightread a piece if you are hungry).  this is not  just shooting breeze, but can be measured with blood work.  anyone with diabetes on insulin or pills can tell you the mechanism behind it.  if the body determines that an equilibrium is reached in terms of supply and demand, the excess will be shunted into glycogen storage or fatty acid conversion.

for the most part, just do your regular routine.  if you hit on your candy bars a little more frequently, you will get fat.  as simple as that.

according to many studies and folklores, those who live longer than others tend to have a hearty breakfast,  medium lunch and smaller dinner.  i tend to agree with that.  it makes sense metabolically speaking.

further many studies support the rationale that if one has a hearty breakfast, the chance of getting hungry for the rest of the day is controlled, and therefore, less binge eating which leads to insulin yo-yos and poor weight control due to disrupted hunger signal.

in other words, having a diet coke for breakfast is not a good thing.  you only see it in movies or commercials:)

ps.  if you ate 20 burgers last night, yes, i agree, no breakfast for you today!

March 17, 2011 at 02:46 PM ·

Here is a study that supports the comments of Allan Spears.

Benefits of exercising before breakfast

The problem with nutrition is that there are so many contradictory opinions.  And IMO, many (most?) of them are complete BS.  I personally believe that breakfast is critically important.  Most people eat dinner around 6-7 PM, then do not eat again until the next day.  That is at least 12 hours of fasting.  And if you skip breakfast, it might be 18 hours between meals.

Type II diabetes is an enormous problem right now and it is completely preventable.  People just need to be more responsible about what they put in their mouths.  We all pay for "their" poor lifestyle with astronomical health care costs.  One of my goals of healthy eating has to do with keeping insulin and glucose levels constant.  You don't do that by skipping meals.  When you wake up in the morning, glucose levels are low (hypoglycemia).  To get your body in a better place, you need to start the day with a healthy breakfast.

Use your common sense.  Peddling 100 miles on a bike with nothing in the tank is moronic.  I don't need any scientific studies to convince me of that.

Back to keeping the blood sugar stable, I personally eat 6 meals a day, including a light meal about an hour before bedtime.  When I started on my current nutrition regimen about 6-7 years ago, I dropped 20+ lbs in a period of 3 months, went from 22% body fat down to 6%, good cholesterol went up and bad cholesterol went down, triglycerides went from 200+ down to 60, C-reactive protein (if you don't know what it is, look it up, it is critically important), almost not measurable in my bloodstream, all in a period of 3 months.  It took me a while to sift through all the BS, but after I figured it out, the results speak for themselves.  To put it succinctly, WE ARE WHAT WE EAT! 

March 17, 2011 at 02:59 PM ·

Whoa, what a thread hijack! I want you all to apologize to Mike. ; )

Mike - loved the clip; I watched it over and over. Just loved the guy in overalls in the background carrying his fiddle and doing this little jig. It was so interesting, so natural; he was the real deal. That, in truth, fascinated me more than the fiddle playing (and that's saying a lot). I also liked seeing the way the "real" fiddler played so calmly. That's what always impresses me the most (well, among other things) about a really good fiddler. How calm and economic their movements. That's how I know I'm still a beginner on the violin - I look like I'm working at it. I am, but that's beside the point. : )

March 17, 2011 at 03:15 PM ·

Al, I didn't agree with that and said that I was 100% for breakfast...  It wasn't obvious in my post??? 

I told that I though these army and trainor theories were mostly to break or toughen up guys than for their health...  

Sorry to continue this off thread thing

March 17, 2011 at 04:30 PM ·

@Allan,

It is not just about metabolizing and burning the food, even though some simpler sugars start metabolizing in minutes (an example is a diabetic that drinks juice because of a low blood sugar condition; within minutes, it is acting on the system).
It is about the body's reaction to a state. Pancreatic enzymes, gastric acid, insulin, and other body chemicals start the process of breaking down food; other processes also interact. Ghrelin affects regulation of energy balance, and can affect how your body metabolizes food; (burn or store those calories?). There are a lot of other complex interactions in the human body, so trying to focus on only a single one can lead to assumptions that contradict the evidence.

@Smiley,

Notice the breakfast provided was carb-rich, and the average diets were identified as "... truly lousy diet, composed of 50 percent fat and 30 percent more calories, overall, than the men had been consuming. ".
Add to that, the meals between the breakfast/exercize group and no breakfast/exercise group were the same, the exercise routines provided significantly different calorie intake. The no breakfast group were only hydrated, while the group that had breakfast continued to add calories.

When you have more than one variable, such as the difference in exercise routine, AND the eating pattern change, it is impossible to make a clear determination about what caused any difference in outcome. The data from this study will be worthless for evaluating in any retrospecive study in any medical journal. It may meet the requirements for publication, but it is not good science.

March 17, 2011 at 05:23 PM ·

anne marie, i was just pulling your legs! :)

smiley, that study is kinda weak and hypoglycemic.  i felt better after reading the rest of your post:)

no wonder you are undecided with your shoulder rest....it is the low body fat!  that is it!

ps, i want to apologize to mike upon terez's urging.  

March 17, 2011 at 07:39 PM ·

@Roland, I'm glad you don't buy into everything you read.

@Al, you got the message -- glad you are on the ball.

@Mike, sorry I couldn't resist. 

@Arnold, I'll be back.

March 17, 2011 at 08:20 PM ·

@Smiley,

At least I did read it.

If I were looking to do literature research and extract data from that, one variable could be extracted from:

Two groups exercized, one did not.

Both groups that exercised ended up with less weight gain relative to the group that did not.

Exercise does lead to less weight gain, all other things being equal.

Go figure; that is why my desk job is working against me!!!

March 17, 2011 at 10:23 PM ·

@Roland,

I posted that to illustrate the type of BS out there about nutrition.  How about this one.

Two groups of mice.

Group A:  Fed nothing but diet soda

Group B:  Fed nothing at all

After 2 weeks, the mice in Group A were still alive, while the mice in Group B all died.  Conclusion:  diet soda will extend your life.  The scary thing is, some studies are almost that absurd, and people actually buy into them.

March 17, 2011 at 11:10 PM ·

Smiley, no jokes I've seen "live in x zip code will make you fat or slim"

That's so stupid!  It's not the zip code...  It's just about the average level of food-education in different areas.   Why not tell it that way.  The correlation might be statistically true but that still doesn't mean you can tell it's your zip code's fault : )

March 18, 2011 at 02:49 AM ·

I don't know Anne Marie.  If I were you, I'd seriously consider moving :-)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe