Youtube Debut

March 9, 2011 at 04:38 PM ·

OMG, it's been forever since I last posted here. I missed all of you, and I am sure there are so many new people. Nice to meet you.

So, I just made my youtube debut today. It's taken me several years to get up the courage to post anything. Although, I haven't made the full plunge because this is just an audio recording of myself. Also, I learned this fiddle tune in 5 minutes. I am a beginner in Celtic fiddling so sorry for the classical feel to the piece. Any tips are invited. I literally started teaching myself fiddling today, so...

www.youtube.com/watch

What was your first youtube video? Post here!

Replies (34)

March 9, 2011 at 06:51 PM ·

Nice tone.... interesting variation. 

March 9, 2011 at 08:39 PM ·

Hi, very good!!  I like your classical touch to it.

How did you record that? The sound quality was very good!

I once found this score on the net and found it nice though I think I lost it after all these years.

BTW your guy has turned out awsome!  Really beautiful!  Nice to see the evolution. 

March 9, 2011 at 08:55 PM ·

Thank you guys!

@ Annie

I used a flip camera. They are really great!

March 10, 2011 at 07:06 AM ·

I'll play along

One of my students requested the music for this old Scottish tune last month ,I liked the tune  so much I made a video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLF4u-7qExg

March 10, 2011 at 08:21 AM ·

what is a 'flip camera' (ie what make/model?)

March 10, 2011 at 10:01 AM ·

@ Jo

http://www.theflip.com/en-us/

Great little camera that can record in HD quality.

March 10, 2011 at 10:36 AM ·

thank you Jasmine, it's sooooooooooo cute :)

March 10, 2011 at 01:00 PM ·

My 1st and only one so far:  www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ul2QUc5Gqc

It's the Meditation from Thais with orchestra c. 6 years ago.

PS Welcome back, Jasmine - and nice fiddling! Your doggie is nice, but it would be good to see you, too.

March 10, 2011 at 02:14 PM ·

Very nice Charles -- reminds me of the music from the movie Legends of the Fall.  I like the way you slide down 1/4 step on some notes.  Classical violinists aren't allowed to do that kind of stuff.

March 10, 2011 at 03:30 PM ·

Raphael, have you ever had a dog?

If no, I will tell you that this is typical of us dog owners... : )  It's like parents putting pictures of their kids everywhere.  When I take walks in the Park, I'll most likely talk to those who have dogs.  Not because I don't like the others but because it's always the first "natural' thing that brings people together in a neutral area.   It's just natural for dog owners to talk about or show their dogs before themselves!   Saying this, I miss my Luda... 

www.4shared.com/file/Y5HQXiSe/Luda_pictures.html

Jasmine, she would go crazy with your Rottweiler... (she loves to play with other dogs!)

March 10, 2011 at 10:45 PM ·

No, but I had a cat - or more accurately, a cat had me! She did not care for my playing at all. But she was kind enough to allow me to live with her and serve her!

Seriously, I totally understand loving one's pets. But it would still be nice to see Jasmine, wouldn't it?

March 10, 2011 at 10:54 PM ·

I prefer kittens and puppies :-)

March 10, 2011 at 11:15 PM ·

Very nice playing Jasmine.  It's a shame you didn't post a vid of the performance you mentioned in this thread :-)

March 10, 2011 at 11:24 PM ·

@ Smiley

:) God bless the internet-- a year and a half later, that story's still remembered. :o/   lol

@Raphael

I remember listening to your performance before. It's such a beautiful interpretation, and I adore your vibrato. Yes, I will try to get the courage to show myself playing, but as Smiley eluded to, there's too many things I am scared of happening or people noticing!

March 11, 2011 at 04:01 AM ·

Thanks, Jasmine - and keep up your own good work!

March 11, 2011 at 04:22 AM ·

Yes, Raphael, it would be nice!   But I kind of understand the "fright" to post a first video.   Maybe if we all tel her that it sounded great... (which is the truth!)           My sympathies for the kitty who owned you.  Imagine how desperate she feels in heaven whithout...the tall servant sp who used to do everything for her : ) 

March 11, 2011 at 05:41 AM ·

Thank you, Anne-Marie. Maybe I will have more courage next time. 

March 11, 2011 at 05:50 AM ·

Interesting that there is still only one 'first you tube video' on this topic.  

[I can say that because I've yet to upload one - but, to stay true to the theme, here is my first (but not violin) you tube vid:

www.youtube.com/watch

:) ]

March 11, 2011 at 06:35 AM ·

Hello all. Here is my first post on violinist.com and I'll show you my first youtube video ever. www.youtube.com/watch.  I guess we need a first for everything. 

Bye

March 11, 2011 at 07:11 AM ·

This is my debut, from 2005.  Bit embarrassing, hope I've improved

www.youtube.com/watch

March 11, 2011 at 01:29 PM ·

Anne-Marie - lol!

March 11, 2011 at 04:03 PM ·

I would post my youtube debut video but it was unbearable to watch a month or two after, so I deleted it. Right now I highly regret doing so and I wish I could take a look at how I played back then.

Theo

March 11, 2011 at 05:24 PM ·

Sharelle - that was a great start and I also listened to your recent Handel D - nice intonation and cleanly played congrats! 

March 11, 2011 at 07:52 PM ·

Keep 'em coming. I love watching everyone's debut videos!

March 11, 2011 at 08:43 PM ·

Some have probably seen this already because it is in my profile -- my feeble attempt at jazz violin

www.youtube.com/watch

March 11, 2011 at 09:37 PM ·

Elise, it's fascinating to see what various v.commers do in their lives (may it be violin or ballroom dancing etc)   That dancing was impressing!  I know absoluntly nothing about dancing but to me, it looked perfect so I would give you 10 ; ) 

Maybe if I can get myself a good recording device one day...  But, in my life stage (studies, studies and studies that take all my time) I don't want to attempt to record my things.  I want to do that in a "happier" period of my life as a little challenge!   

March 16, 2011 at 07:30 PM ·

Thanks Ann-Marie :)

You tube allows you to check if your video has been seen and which sites the visitor came from (not, I hasten to add, who they are).  About 30 V.commies looked at the video (thanks for the interest guys :) ) but only you commented.  I hope the rest were blissfully transported :D

Right now I am persuing both - dance and playing - with equal passion, and both have to compete with my work of course.  Perhaps in time one or the other will win out - probably violin since that onlyrequires half a functioning body - and no partner!

March 16, 2011 at 07:35 PM ·

best youtube violin post ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyIqX63infM&NR=1

www.youtube.com/watch

March 17, 2011 at 12:05 AM ·

"Perhaps in time one or the other will win out - probably violin since that onlyrequires half a functioning body - and no partner!"

Juat be careful to not become an indoor violin rat... ; )  Very easy once we become obsess with violin!  A bit of social is great too may it be a string group or ballroom dancing etc. 

Btw your dancing must help with violin and vice-versa! 

Good luck!

March 17, 2011 at 02:03 AM ·

Elise, I was one who was 'transported' by your video clip!!  Alas! I don't always respond and I'm sure that is some kind of shortcoming. Nevertheless, your dancing WAS REALLY impressive!!   You gotta be terrifically fit! It looked effortless.

March 17, 2011 at 02:21 AM ·

Thanks Randy.  At the end of April Patrick and I will compete in Majorca (spain) at the Open Senior II amateur world championships.  There are over 100 couples entered already - if we make the second round it will be a big success :)  And if not, we will have a lovely holiday anyway :D

March 17, 2011 at 11:55 AM ·

Bill - that YouTube recommendation is priceless! Just passed it along to some friends!

March 17, 2011 at 12:45 PM ·

Elise that's a nice project!!!  As you say, just the vacation aspect once the competition is over worths it.   Best of lucks

March 19, 2011 at 11:29 AM ·

Thanks Anne-Marie.

And yes, anyone who missed Bill's link just has to take a look (I cross posted it to FB too).  The guy is delighful too.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe