Here's to Winter!

March 1, 2011 at 06:16 PM ·

Replies (22)

March 1, 2011 at 06:36 PM ·

i have always maintained that people with thick sausage fingers should stay away from the fiddle! :)

March 1, 2011 at 11:45 PM ·

I guess that's why he's teaching more now. :p) Too funny! I saw one with Zukerman too, it was hilarious:

www.youtube.com/watch

March 2, 2011 at 04:23 AM ·

When you get where he is, I suppose playing badly is a real challenge!

Edit: I suppose the joke's on me -- I thought this was like the infamous Heifetz audition mock, but I just read that they did it with Autotune.  I hear they also took 'gullible' out of the dictionary...

March 2, 2011 at 07:15 AM ·

LOL.  I love these.  There's a fabulous one of him playing the Mendelssohn 3rd movement...

March 6, 2011 at 09:19 PM ·

ROFLOL!  This has to be one of the great parodies on YouTube!  But almost as funny are the comments on the actual YouTube website!  Some get it but most don't.  Noooo it's not an actor.  Look at his hands sans sound.  I think that the negative remarks come from non-violinists or verry naive listeners.

March 6, 2011 at 09:58 PM ·

The reason why the YouTube spoof works so well is the incongruity of using as its butt one of the greatest violinists in the world, who, one hopes, is privately having a good laugh at it. The joke wouldn't work if it were using the performance of a little known violinist who is struggling up the career ladder.

March 7, 2011 at 06:18 AM ·

So right Trevor!  I assumed that folks knew who it is in order to really appreciate it.  Good point!

March 7, 2011 at 08:17 AM ·

Who's been recording me secretly?

March 7, 2011 at 12:41 PM ·

Musicians are not unknown for their in-jokes. A good one I heard about yesterday was at a British university degree ceremony where, as the deans, profs and lecturers processed into the Great Hall dressed in their academic robes, the university orchestra played the Rogue's March. 

March 7, 2011 at 01:14 PM ·

I don't get it.  I was laughing through the whole thing.  But the audience is not laughing at all, and they gave roaring applause at the end.  Are they part of the joke too?  Or did they really appreciate the performance?

March 7, 2011 at 01:20 PM ·

smiley, i hope you are not serious!!! :)

some people probably got hold of a tape of some amateurs playing this piece, with a soloist of my level,  and then using that audio,  they dubbed it into perlman's video.  

come on, smiley, time for another cup of coffee! :)

March 7, 2011 at 03:52 PM ·

No way Al.  Check out this vid of Shlomo Mintz.  Fingers perfectly synchronized with the sound.  That's definitely him playing.  Just having a bad day I guess

www.youtube.com/watch

March 7, 2011 at 04:15 PM ·

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBq4ov5Y_84

that may be where the musical forgers:) got the inspiration.

i have to tip my hat to them;  i have a feeling that they are capable of electronically controlling the tempo of the amateur group to match perlman's fingering tempo.  perhaps this matching distorts the sound quality further.

i don't know about you,,,if a bank  teller gives me some hundred dollar bills, even if they are fake, i cannot tell:)

fengshui master is telling smiley not to make any important business decision today:)

ps,,i like the paganini clip,,,really good match.  perhaps paganini really played like that back then:)

March 7, 2011 at 06:43 PM ·

My guess, fwiw, is that the original Perlman video (which I haven't seen but can be sure it was up to his usual stratospheric standards) was doctored by some ingenious person using AutoTune in the wrong direction. You'll notice that the wild off-tune only happens when P is playing solo; the orchestra is unaffected. If the trick was applied to the whole of the piece then the orchestra would be affected as well.

However, there is one little solo section where the continuo cello is playing, and I'm 99% certain that the cello intonation is a bit wobbly in that section as well. This indicates that whatever is being done to P's sound was also affecting the continuo.  This points to AutoTune or something similar being used.

I'm inclined to discount someone else's playing was dubbed in to replace Perlman's. I'm not saying it's inherently impossible, just very difficult.  The AutoTune route would be easier. 

March 7, 2011 at 07:00 PM ·

Al,

Thanks for posting that vid.  I'm just relieved to know that Perlman played it again and did a much better job the second time around.  Maybe he was nervous on the first take.

March 7, 2011 at 07:12 PM ·

trevor, good point now you mention it.  so probably not dubbing but twisting:)   i have in my previous post linked a clip where i think is the original version.  

smiley, with the original, second take, i fell asleep:)

March 8, 2011 at 02:44 AM ·

Oh goodness, and I just sent these urls to my teacher!   Ok, maybe this will clear up a few misconceptions:

Take a look at this url and note Mehta's face and hand position at about 0:12 of the shredded version: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67IqeB0JLs4

Now open a second tab and look at about 0:10 in the original:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBq4ov5Y_84

Same, right? Now forward to "shredded" on the up-bow of 2:51 vs. the original at 2:37. 

The same guy, "fatpjerrot" did a good job on the Mendelssohn Concerto too.

I hope this is convincing enough to those who are unfamiliar with how computer doctoring can do both miraculous and incredibly silly things!

P.S. To Smiley:  Hope the anti-Feng Shui cloud of disorder has left you and your chi is now restored.  You are a hoot!

March 8, 2011 at 08:22 PM ·

"P.S. To Smiley:  Hope the anti-Feng Shui cloud of disorder has left you and your chi is now restored.  You are a hoot!"

I don't know much about feng shui, but one thing is for sure.  Perlman did a much better job on the second take.  It is quite impressive that the camera man was able to recreate the same shots and camera angles the second time around.  He must be as much of a perfectionist as Perlman.  My hat is off to the camera man.  That must have taken a lot of practice.

March 8, 2011 at 08:33 PM ·

I just saw Perlman last night play the Mendelssohn with the CSO, and he was sensational. Wow; he must have been practicing over an hour a day to make this kind of improvement.
:) Sandy

March 8, 2011 at 09:21 PM ·

I've got tickets to see Perlman next month.  Paid over $100 each.  I sure hope he plays better than he did on that first take.

March 8, 2011 at 09:49 PM ·

This video is the one that had me rolling on the floor helpless

March 8, 2011 at 10:45 PM ·

@Julian,

Zukerman spent quite a bit of time touring with Perlman.  Maybe he contracted the same thing that Perlman did.  I hope they both make a speedy recovery.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe