Emily's new case

February 8, 2011 at 06:14 PM ·

What is the status of Emily's new Musafia case?  Does she have it yet?

Replies (33)

February 8, 2011 at 08:25 PM ·

In an email, Dimitri Musafia told me that Emily has decided on a S4011E Master Series Exclusive dart-shaped case in green with a slate exterior. This will be made to order, with some special touches, so it will be a while before it's in Emily's hands.

Altogether, we raised $1004.07 after Paypal fees were deducted, so that's enough for a $1500 case with Dimitri kicking in. There was one contribution of $200 after we stopped soliciting. The contributor knew that we thought we had enough, but wanted do it anyway, and insisted on remaining anonymous. Karma was mentioned. I can't remember if I brought it up already, but one $10 cash contribution came anonymously in the mail, along with a cute card, signed "Anonymous". You-all are a lot of fun! :-)

That's all I know right now......

Here's a link to the fundraising thread, if anyone doesn't know what this was all about:

www.violinist.com/discussion/response.cfm

February 8, 2011 at 08:31 PM ·

David - Thanks for updating us.  Sounds like progress is being made.

February 8, 2011 at 08:42 PM ·

Hello,

I would like to add that we have made progress in negotiating what have proven to be rather complicated travel arrangements with the bear. (I had no idea that he would demand a first class seat...)

All the best,

Lothar

February 8, 2011 at 09:29 PM ·

i'm confused about the bear.  Is he travelling first to Italy, and then what? Or is he travelling only a domestic leg accompanying the instrument back to Alaska? Does he have his visa sorted. Does he know what he's letting himself in for!

February 8, 2011 at 11:53 PM ·

I wish I knew who all you anonymous contributors are, so I could send you a proper thank you!  So sweet of you...  I still can't believe this whole thing really happened.

Be patient, as Dimitri puts care into every single case he makes, and he still has other orders to fulfill before he even gets started on this project.  I promise to post photos and share stories once it comes!

February 9, 2011 at 01:56 AM ·

Emily wrote:

"Be patient, as Dimitri puts care into every single case he makes, and he still has other orders to fulfill before he even gets started on this project."

I certainly hope that the bear cannot read...

And darn right about posting photos!

All the best,

Lothar

February 9, 2011 at 12:06 PM ·

Here's a link to the Master Series cases:

www.musafia.com/masterseries.html

February 9, 2011 at 05:32 PM ·

When it comes to testing the case we should probably not put the violin in - until we know it really is bear proof and safe.  Will it fit a viola?

[runs and hides behind a french horn - violists can't approach 10 ft of a french horn I hear]

ee

February 9, 2011 at 07:08 PM ·

David - thanks for posting the link.  The case looks like it should do the trick. 

February 11, 2011 at 04:12 AM ·

(I had no idea that he would demand a first class seat...)

Well, who was it that told him about the salmon entree?

February 11, 2011 at 06:04 PM ·

Bill wrote [quoting me] (I had no idea that he would demand a first class seat...)

"Well, who was it that told him about the salmon entre?"

Hello Bill,

O.K., you got me to own up to it. I did mention the possibility of a salmon entre...

But at the time, it seemed like an appropriate inducement. This whole bear thing has been more complex than I imagined when David Burgess first suggested that I handle it. And the bear (He wants me to call him "Ted" (and got furious when I accidentally called him "Teddy" in a recent phone call.) seemed more than a bit nervous because, as it turns out,  he has never been on a plane before.

So, as he and I talked, I casually mentioned that in First Class they sometimes served...

Oh, it was a mistake. And I am sorry....

Lothar

February 11, 2011 at 06:17 PM ·

I'm growing increasingly concerned about the immigration/visa requirements for this bear.  If he is not a US citizen, and the testing will be done in Alaska, someone needs to file an I-129 form, accompanied by the $325 filing fee.  We must submit proof that this is a bear of extraordinary merit, doing a job that cannot be done by a domestic bear.  Is there proof he will leave the US when the testing is done?

If said bear is a US or Canadian citizen travelling to Italy, we must check into the availability of an EU work permit, an equally Byzantine process.  It's a good thing the case won't be ready immediately.

February 11, 2011 at 06:21 PM ·

Hi Lisa,

It is only because of people like you that this sort of thing is worthy of such effort...

Yes, Ted is a U.S. bear (Alaska) and will be heading to Northern Italy on completion of the case.

You are clearly in the know about the entry issues and so, when the time comes, I hope that we can count on your assistance with the paperwork.

Many thanks,

Lothar

February 11, 2011 at 06:25 PM ·

It might be easier to get the paperwork in order if we say he is going to Italy to marry.  Could Berlusconi loan us a bimbo for a few days?  She might get a salmon dinner and return trip to Alaska out of it.  Perhaps she could even run for office, governor, say, once she gets there!

February 11, 2011 at 07:08 PM ·

"Could Berlusconi loan us a bimbo for a few days?"

Doesn't it need to be a bimbear?

February 11, 2011 at 07:17 PM ·

Depends on what Bear-lusconi has available!

February 11, 2011 at 07:43 PM ·

If Berlusconi has a hairy back, maybe she won't know the difference anyway....

February 11, 2011 at 07:51 PM ·

In order to recreate the most realistic conditions, I think it would be best if Mr. Musafia came here instead.  That way, we can also include avalanche testing and moose tramplings at no extra expense.  I'll provide the photo shoots.  Forget first class.  We're talking world class salmon fishing here.  Who needs airline salmon entrees when we're standing on the banks of the Kenai, reeling in a fresh one?

February 11, 2011 at 08:07 PM ·

Bears have an extremely wide range, If we are talking Kodiak, the place they call home (their  range) can be from 50 to 97 miles. Therefore I postulate it could have dual Canadian/US citizenship. This could reduce the problems when travelling.

This would only leave the issue of the TSA security screening. I would suspect a reasonable bear for this purpose would not fit correctly in the imaging machine, so it would require a hand-check.
I know I would not want to be the TSA employee given that task.....

@Emily,

I thougt the juveniles were too young to harvest. Isn't that an Alaska Fingerling?

February 11, 2011 at 08:17 PM ·

That's a Russian River red.  We'll have to hit the Kenai for the 90 lb king.

February 11, 2011 at 09:09 PM ·

Man that looks like fun.  Emily, if you need a fishing buddy; I'll volunteer for the job :-)

February 11, 2011 at 09:26 PM ·

I would be overjoyed to go fishing with anyone who comes for a visit!

February 11, 2011 at 10:18 PM ·

Emily, isn't that one less fish for the bears? That may be OK with you, but down here in clueless political correctness land, we have grave concerns about Yogi keeping a full stomach.

February 11, 2011 at 10:20 PM ·

Emily, careful what you say because my husband would give his eye teeth to go fishing in Alaska! I hope he doesn't see this!

February 11, 2011 at 10:54 PM ·

Emily,

Too bad you are a gal.  I don't think my wife would appreciate me going fishing with a woman in Alaska.  :-( 

How about if I tell her I'm going fishing with someone named Emil -- just an honest spelling mistake (wink, wink).  Seriously though, fishing was my childhood passion.  I would soooo love to go salmon fishing in Alaska. 

February 11, 2011 at 11:44 PM ·

No problem Smiley, go fishing with George then!

David, up here we are not part of the politically correct: we are part of the food chain.

February 12, 2011 at 05:48 PM ·

"we are part of the food chain."

I posted to another thread about the cruelty to brown bears, depriving them of nutrition.  But, now I don't feel so bad.  Emily eats the salmon, then the brown bear eats Emily.  The circle of life continues.  Hey Emily, if the brown bear gets you, can I have your case?

February 12, 2011 at 07:43 PM ·

If a brown bear eats me, I'm leaving everything to Ben.

February 13, 2011 at 01:51 AM ·

Emily, methinks you missed your calling.  You could totally run the Alaska bureau of tourism. Bears and salmon steaks and chamber music - what could be better?

February 13, 2011 at 02:41 PM ·

Wow, spend a few days away from v.com and looks like it's been ages, judging by the number of new posts here!

I'd like to confirm that Emily and I have agreed upon one of my dart-shaped Master Series Exclusive cases. I'll be customizing it with a few personal touches to make sure it's absolutely unique, as unique was David's initiative, as well as the generosity and selflessness of so many people.

I haven't yet decided exactly what I'll be doing to make this case unique, and I have three special projects ahead of this one before I can start. My current project is a case for the 1694 ex-Halir Strad, a long-pattern upon which the Sibelius was premiered in 1905. The owner has commissioned something that will really stand out and so, something truly special it will be. I don't want to spill all the beans yet with a full description, but let it be said that it will be a cocktail of fine art (not my own, actually, but comissioned by me), Laser technology, and esoterics. 

Not your grandpa's violin case, in other words. If anyone's interested I can post some photos once it's finished.

Anyway, for the record, Emily's case will be ready in April!

February 13, 2011 at 06:45 PM ·

...just in time to wake up the bears.

February 13, 2011 at 07:20 PM ·

Well, now we get to discuss the possibilities of 'Unique'!!!!
I like the idea of sequins and piping to create a diorama of the bear stomping on the case, and Emily beating the bear back with a fish.

February 14, 2011 at 01:09 AM ·

How about using a little Bear Claw Wood in the detail? 

That is 20% joke and 80% serious....  ;)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe