VIOLIN DAY, ANYONE?

February 1, 2011 at 09:49 PM ·

I think it would be very nice to have an official or semi-official "Violin Day".  It could draw attention to the violin from a wider audience. If to have one, I would suggest February 2. I don't see why the groundhog should 'hog' the whole day to himself. Not when two of the greatest legends of violin playing, Fritz Kreisler and Jascha Heifetz, were both born on 2/2 (K on 2/2/1875, and H on 2/2/1901). Despite their age difference, they were friends, and admired one another enormously. I don't know how one makes such a thing "official" or if that matters too much. But anyway, what say ye all?

Replies (23)

February 1, 2011 at 10:08 PM ·

I love it, and I'm going to take the day off from work in observance. Maybe the next day too.

February 1, 2011 at 10:29 PM ·

I am in! great idea. next year, lets all organize some concert this day!

February 1, 2011 at 10:36 PM ·

also,,,2 2  looks like the F holes :)

February 1, 2011 at 11:23 PM ·

Anything is better than punxsutawney phil! Hey Al, Keep warm!

February 2, 2011 at 12:40 AM ·

Great idea!

February 2, 2011 at 07:04 AM ·

I'm all for that!   I will celebrate today by listening to  Brahms  violin concerto,  and some  Vivaldi too. 

February 2, 2011 at 12:58 PM ·

Happy Violin Day, everybody.

(Smile)

February 2, 2011 at 01:02 PM ·

Yup definitely.  But why only one?  I'd like one violin day every day...  Just one mind you.

February 2, 2011 at 01:37 PM ·

Excellent idea and it is also my daughter's birthday and she, too, plays the violin.

February 2, 2011 at 01:49 PM ·

Thanks for all the nice responses so far, everyone - and Happy Violin Day! So today I decided to finally play as well as Kreisler and Heifetz put together! And if I don't succeed, it's only because there is freezing rain outside, and that can interefere a bit with the violin's vibrations. Yeah...that's it. Sure! But seriously, one day I have an idea to give a recital on 2/2 that will include a number of Kreisler pieces and Heifetz transcriptions.

Meanwhile, should we spread the word with perhaps a number of letters to the Strad, Strings, etc.?

February 2, 2011 at 04:52 PM ·

But there is already one no?  They have violin day ecards on the net... that I always take and change the message to suit them for other occasions ; ) 

I love the concept! 

February 2, 2011 at 05:00 PM ·

That would give me two celebration days in a row the first week of February; violin day then my birthday :) Maybe next year I'll take a long weekend to really honor the occasion!

February 2, 2011 at 05:40 PM ·

i think a holiday whose 'motto' is a violin-playing groundhog definitely beats out valentines and presidents day!!!  go for it.

February 2, 2011 at 06:19 PM ·

A Kreisler/Heifetz themed recital is a great idea.  Here are my repertoire suggestions:

First Half:

Heifetz's arrangements of:

• Dinicu, Horrible Staccato
  • Prokofiev, Masks (because we can't get enough of those fingered octaves!)

Kreisler arrangements/pieces:

• Paganini I palpiti
  • Recitativo and Scherzo

Second Half:

The Walton concerto

Third Half:

The Beethoven concerto, with Kreisler's cadenzas.

Encores:

Kreisler's:

• La chasse
  • Tambourin chinois

Heifetz arrangements:

• Gershwin, An American in Paris
  • Kodaly Chicken Song

I call the Tambourin chinois...

February 2, 2011 at 07:03 PM ·

Happy Violin day, everyone!!!!!

February 2, 2011 at 07:10 PM ·

A couple of years ago, I found an "International Violin Day" on an internet site, and blogged about it:

http://www.violinist.com/blog/ravena/20086/8780/

I don't know who started it, or why, but it was on Igor Stravinsky's birthday, June 17.

February 2, 2011 at 08:09 PM ·

Hmmm...I just now found another "violin day" for Dec.13. But it sounds like both 12/13 and 6/17 were arbitrarily selected by someone, and never got off the ground. The Kreisler-Heifetz connection is a really meaningful one. If we want to, I think we can fuel this idea.

February 3, 2011 at 01:10 AM ·

I don't know how I feel about having to compete with a furry celebrity, but I'm on board with the concept!

Stradivari's birthdate is unknown, I guess, or I'd suggest that.

February 3, 2011 at 04:29 AM ·

Besides the same birthday, both Heifetz and Kreisler died at age 87.

February 3, 2011 at 12:52 PM ·

I think February is a bad idea.  The weather is so dry and cold and my violin sounds at its worst this time of year.  Violin day should be a time when there's enough humidity in the air to make our fiddles sound good.  April is good.

February 3, 2011 at 02:03 PM ·

I'm in.

February 3, 2011 at 02:36 PM ·

Marina - that's probably why I didn't succeed yesterday in playing as well as Kreisler and Heifetz put together! Yeah...that's why...

February 3, 2011 at 10:14 PM ·

OK - I just copied my original posting and emailed the editors of both The Strad* and Strings magazines. We'll see if they publish it in their "letters" section. Meanwhile, anyone else is welcome to contact them and second the motion. Also, if anyone is a member of ASTA, perhaps contact them. Let's see what happens!

*BTW, I'm surprized that The Strad, in the February issue, made no mention that I noticed of this month marking the 110th anniversary of Heifetz' birth.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe