I need to do more practice!

January 28, 2011 at 07:28 AM ·

I need to do more practice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qlGWVc90Ac&feature=player_embedded

Replies (14)

January 28, 2011 at 07:48 AM ·

What the heck!  Now I've seen everything.

January 28, 2011 at 08:45 AM ·

Since we see no orchestra and no microphone, while the violin sounds so distinct, I would be surprised if this is not a joke.

January 28, 2011 at 04:26 PM ·

That video of "Baron Buika" looks like a fairly old film of a stage or television performance. The microphone(s) and orchestra would have been off camera (certainly if it was on tv). The "Baron's" bow and finger coordination looked like the result of years of dedication. If it was faked, then that was the best miming I've ever seen (except in orchestras!), so why bother faking it? 

January 28, 2011 at 04:49 PM ·

Nothing in the fingering or bowing looked fake - I'd say he's one talented fiddler.

January 28, 2011 at 05:05 PM ·

Its a bit odd that there seems to be no information about this virtuoso (in a different sence) violinist on the web other than this ed sullivan (I think) clip.  Anyone know anything about him?

January 28, 2011 at 07:42 PM ·

Just once........just once, I'd love to be able to do that with my viola in a recital.

Could you imagine the stunned looks on peoples faces?  (Especially on the faculty's faces).  I'd only have a second, or at the most, two seconds to enjoy my joke before my instructor took my viola and hit me in the head with it, but it would be well worth it.

---Ann Marie

January 28, 2011 at 08:24 PM ·

That's right! Playing only one violin with all correct posture is for weaklings, this guy has  it all figured out...

January 29, 2011 at 01:38 AM ·

It was simply epic.

January 30, 2011 at 02:05 PM ·

In one of the orchestras i played with, Norman George was one of our regular deps. He used to have a party trick where he would play the violin behind his back - as well as the rest of us could playing normally! Very modest guy - he could if pushed mention some of the orchestras he'd played in. He didn't mention that he was the leader!

April 28, 2014 at 02:47 PM · I have found a little more information about the Hungarian violinist Baron Buika. He was performing publicly as recently as 1988 in a celebratory event in the US - see

http://articles.mcall.com/1988-10-06/news/2669803_1_hungarian-embassy-immigrants-violin

April 28, 2014 at 06:24 PM · We treat this guy like he's some kind of joke, meanwhile worshiping those who can play pizzicato with their left hands, even though it doesn't even sound good. :)

April 29, 2014 at 01:10 PM · The Baron appears to have had a lot of time on his hands.

It always makes me nervous to see someone playing so vigorously on such a delicate instrument, regardless of what position it's being held in. I'm such a beginner that I would expect if I played that way a string would snap in my face for my aggressive insolence, resonating with the twang of violin laughter.

April 29, 2014 at 01:29 PM · Those tricks are still around. I've seen Kennedy throw his bow up into the air at the end of a concert - and catch it cleanly on the way down. That video would surely have gone viral if he hadn't!

I can't imagine the Baron using expensive violins for his act. Well set up steel-strung student-level instruments would surely suffice. The sound engineer would do the rest.

April 29, 2014 at 03:49 PM · And no shoulder rest - on either violin!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings