New Year's resolutions for 2011

December 26, 2010 at 10:21 PM ·

1. To widen my appreciation of the great, near-great, sincere, unique, and noble efforts of the many, many violinists (from professionals to beginning students), past and present, in this world.
2. To practice every day.
3. To treat everyone in my life with appreciation, understanding, compassion, forgiveness, support, generosity, and honesty.
4. To solve my problems and achieve my goals with excellence, commitment, and creativity.
And if I can live up to all that, I think I'll run for President.

Replies (42)

December 26, 2010 at 11:07 PM ·

Anyone who likes Heifetz has my vote for president, heh.

One thing I'd like to do... definitely spend more time watching and listening to the great violinists.  There are so many, especially of the past, that don't get enough recognition.  Just yesterday I ran across Armenian violinist Anahit Tsitsikian (she was fantastic!) on youtube, which got me thinking.  I once had a student ask for famous female violinists of the past--and it always bothered me that I couldn't come up with the same amount I could for males.  So I would like to learn to the names of phenomenal female artists of the past, even though they may be largely unknown to the American public.

December 26, 2010 at 11:43 PM ·

Funnily enough, that's one of my primary musical goals, as well. I want to uncover more information about the great female violinists of the past. Every day I want to do something to increase my knowledge of music history. I also want to go to great concerts and write enlightening reviews of them. And I would love to be able to play the Bruch concerto in such a way that people do not run away when they hear it. And it would be nice to get more paid jobs, as well. But...that's probably pushing it. So maybe I'd better stop at the keeping people from running out of the room.

But if I had to choose one goal...it would be uncovering more information about the great female violinists. I've found some information on Teresina Tua that I'd very much like to write up.

December 26, 2010 at 11:49 PM ·

(Hi Elana!)

off the top of my head:

--make at least one musical financial investment

--make friends with at least one new professional violinist/fiddler

--climb a new mountain

--learn at least one new piece in the next level of difficulty

--plan one random road trip involving violin shops

--try a new food

December 26, 2010 at 11:49 PM ·

Hi, Emily Liz by the way!  Long time no speak.... but happy to say I'm getting back to playing.  I don't want to hijack the thread, but, I'd love it if you share any of the great female violinists you find.  Maybe it can be our joint NY resolution to start a violinist.com thread about it.

Edited to add: and hi other Emily!  Some of your new year's resolutions, I may be able to help with, soon.  ;)

Another of mine: get myself either a great Tubbs or another bow I love equally.  I'm in no rush, but it would be great to get one this year.

December 26, 2010 at 11:51 PM ·

Hey, the three of us could meet up next week and mark #2 off my list!

December 26, 2010 at 11:52 PM ·

Yup, was just thinking that!  And maybe knock off my bow wishes as well while we're at it.  :)

December 27, 2010 at 02:25 AM ·

I just posted a thread about women violinists. It should be up once it's approved. Looking forward to the discussion on it!

December 27, 2010 at 02:47 AM ·

Great!  Same here!

December 27, 2010 at 03:14 AM ·

To simplify and reserve more time for the things that are important to me and I love.

December 27, 2010 at 04:20 AM ·

My resolution is simple: to get better.  As much as possible, and in as many ways as possible.

December 27, 2010 at 04:21 AM ·

More patience in the practice room!

December 27, 2010 at 04:21 AM ·

More patience in the practice room!

December 27, 2010 at 04:53 AM ·

I have no idea why my last response double-posted. 

December 27, 2010 at 06:54 AM ·

hmmm

to continue practicing my cello...daily

and add daily violin practice (as I am beginning to play both!!!)

and improve improve improve

December 27, 2010 at 07:14 AM ·

To give my little angels (2 German Shepherds) all the walks they deserve.

(From the side effects of regular exercise, all other desired things will flow. Plus the dogs will be happy, too.)

December 27, 2010 at 10:47 AM ·

to get rid of my back pain whilst playing violin (am working on this already with my alexander technique teacher) and achieve a level of skill on violin equivalent to a grade 8 ABRSM by december 2011 (I already practice every day so let's hope this will help me get there ;)

to perform for an audience at least every other month (have already booked to do a performance in january and one in february (only very short ones but it's a start need to book at least 4 more)

December 28, 2010 at 06:44 PM ·

I resolve to be more tolerant of those who just don't seem to understand the unique revolution that Jascha Heifetz created not only in the history of violin playing but in the history of all music performance of any kind, and the unique violin voice he had, which was like no other, no matter what he played. I also resolve to be more tolerant of those violinists who can't seem to hear the obvious passion in his playing. And, by the way, after a lifetime of repeating everyone's mantra that "Heifetz can't play Bach," I find myself changing my mind; he can play Bach, and wonderfully. It's not a "modern" performance, sure, but it's also not as out of date as the current trend towards period performances (which are really out of date).
(I await the onslaught).
:) Sandy

December 29, 2010 at 02:01 AM ·

Sandy, I love Heifetz's Chaconne for the power of his sound and the variety of character he brings to each section.  When I got better speakers I realized it was more "Romantic" than even I previously thought, but it still never gets old.

New Year's Resolutions:

Two words -- Time. Management. !!!

Become a web-published arranger/transcriber.

Get into a more diverse range of playing styles, i.e. rock and jazz.

Attend more concerts.

Understand my tax return (that might not be possible but I can try!).

Generally become a more savvy musician and get out of my comfort zone sometimes.

December 29, 2010 at 02:19 AM ·

I guess I had better relisten to Heiftez playing Bach... the first time round he just didn't seem to get it compared to Milstein (to use a contemporary). 

I still like Rachel Podger, even if 'authentic' is old. 

Er... if you will excuse the phrase...

December 29, 2010 at 02:55 AM ·

Sander, you are far more patient than I.  I wouldn't even bother to make it a resolution because I just don't have the patience.  :)

The first Heifetz CD I ever got was actually a holiday gift, the complete Beethoven sonatas from my grandmother (who sang under Bernstein :).  I was a kid, but so completely excited to listen and when I listen to him I still feel like that little kid.

New year's resolution # 1000: dig out my old CDs and get more of them on the computer and Sony Walkman....

December 29, 2010 at 05:38 AM ·

To start reading Simon Fischer's "Practice".  The most expensive violin book I've ever bought and the only one I haven't spent any serious time reading. ;(

Last year I kept two resolutions: regular lessons (every two weeks religiously) and daily practice.  I resolve to continue both.

December 29, 2010 at 05:48 AM ·

To live in love, do good work, and wear handknit socks (made by myself) each deay.

December 29, 2010 at 11:34 PM ·

1. More scales.
  2. More patience.
  3. Refrain from mocking Buri's typos.
  4. Vote for Sandy.

That should be enough.

Happy New Year!

(Insert smiley face here)

December 30, 2010 at 12:59 AM ·

Riffing off of Yixi's comment ... I resolve to not have the same blasted socks on my needles in a year that I have on them today!  I really need to finish those things.  (Handknit socks are the most wonderful thing.  You don't realize what it is to be positively aware of your own feet as a source of comfort until you pull on a pair of the things.)

And I also had better resolve to balance my free time like a wirewalker.  Fitting in all those handknit socks, sweaters, gloves, mittens, shawls, and berets alongside the piano and viola means that most of my free time not devoted to sleeping or personal hygiene is pretty much booked.  *sigh*

December 30, 2010 at 04:57 AM ·

I shall learn to tango.

December 30, 2010 at 05:36 AM ·

Learn Tchaikovsky VnC. Period

December 30, 2010 at 08:04 AM ·

Fix my bowing arm.

Perform (were to play??).

Compete at Blackpool (ballroom).

Get the first STED microscope in Canada!

December 30, 2010 at 05:37 PM ·

To continue to workout at least five days a week. 30-60 min

To practice my violin a minimum of five days a week 45-60 min

To build up my assets

To listen more and try to be more empathetic.

To make more time for my loved ones.

December 31, 2010 at 02:18 AM ·

Survive to school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And try to do the most violin possible in that poor practice context...

January 1, 2011 at 12:45 AM ·

Scales!!! 

;)

January 1, 2011 at 12:54 AM ·

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! 

and my resolutions are to put 200% effort into my music (especially violin!),

to carry on expanding my knowledge of all things musical,

to get through my exams this year,

and to make every moment memorable and live life to the full! 

January 1, 2011 at 11:17 AM ·

I'll continue to collect recordings of violinists, composers and works known by maybe the 5% of the music fans, and 1% of the violinists and violin teachers.

January 1, 2011 at 05:11 PM ·

My reolution is to practice every day and focus on violin as much as possible!  I hope for great improvements this year!  By this time next year vibrato is will have settled into my life!

January 1, 2011 at 08:46 PM ·

My desire for this year would be to live it wholeheartedly for God and keep my relationship with Him as highest priority - "of Him, through Him, to Him," as Romans 11:36 says.  What a privilege!

January 1, 2011 at 09:24 PM ·

What a statement. I'll continue deepening my relationship to my violin. What a privilege.

And, I'll try to be good to those I share this little planet with. This includes more practising.

January 1, 2011 at 10:04 PM ·

Great way to put it!  I resolve to make my downstairs neighbors less annoyed at the fact that their apartment is adjacent to someone who decided to study viola.  :-)

January 2, 2011 at 04:36 AM ·

Happy New Year!

My number one is also time management.  I was so busy this past year I hardly had time for pleasure reading.  Gift to self this year was a Nook.

2)  Practice my violin every day even if it's only 15 minutes.

January 2, 2011 at 04:38 PM ·

One Barucaba Variation each week: could I keep that?

Happy New Year!

Bart

December 20, 2011 at 09:45 PM · Oh dear-- I did a few of those Barucaba thingies, then got fed up, and distracted. And Wonderful Teacher threw other music my way.

December 20, 2011 at 11:57 PM · Something that has worked for me for many years – I resolve not to make resolutions but to just get on with it.

December 21, 2011 at 01:18 AM · People who answered this last year should answer again now and see how many of their goals they actually achieved!

"Funnily enough, that's one of my primary musical goals, as well. I want to uncover more information about the great female violinists of the past. Every day I want to do something to increase my knowledge of music history. I also want to go to great concerts and write enlightening reviews of them. And I would love to be able to play the Bruch concerto in such a way that people do not run away when they hear it. And it would be nice to get more paid jobs, as well. But...that's probably pushing it. So maybe I'd better stop at the keeping people from running out of the room..."

- Totally learned a lot about female violinists; started a blog and Tumblr about them. Didn't get to that essay about Teresina Tua, but I did write a very long one on Vivien Chartres that is being proof-read by some Chartres experts...

- Didn't do something *every day* to increase knowledge, but *every day* was a stupid goal anyway.

- Go to great concerts? Totally; went to three. Write enlightening reviews? Don't know if they were enlightening, but I did write about all but one.

- Hacked through first movement of Bruch, so...I'll give myself a B or B- on that effort.

Maybe there is something to these New Year's resolutions after all...

December 21, 2011 at 02:47 PM · Since Bart started this particular Thread Necropsy, I'll continue.

1. More scales.

The same. But there has been more focus, less rote, early morning, go-through-the-motions space-out, which is good.

2. More patience.

Uh...

3. Refrain from mocking Buri's typos.

Mission almost accomplished. 11 more days to go.

4. Vote for Sandy.

Although this opportunity did not arise in '11, I would still vote for Sandy.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe