You know you are a violinist when....

December 4, 2010 at 04:32 AM ·

[Only one per post]

You know you are a violinist when your closest relationship is with your instrument!

Replies (100)

December 4, 2010 at 05:35 AM ·

...you freak out when you get a cut on your finger especially on the fingerpads.

December 4, 2010 at 06:43 AM ·

You hate people coming to stay because having to speak to them will cut into your practice time.

December 4, 2010 at 12:07 PM ·

You think its normal to have long nails on one hand and short on the other...

December 4, 2010 at 12:42 PM ·

...when at a concert where the solo violinist is an attractive member of the opposite sex, you stare at his or her fingers.

December 4, 2010 at 01:07 PM ·

... when you use every bit of your spare time to practise or talk to people about the violin...

December 4, 2010 at 01:34 PM ·

... when you carry nail clippers with you everywhere you go.

December 4, 2010 at 01:54 PM ·

I've only been playing a short time but I can guess this is probably true  (if you have ever shown dogs or horses, you'll understand)

......... when you know every detail of a persons violin but you can't remember if that person has blond or brunette hair

December 4, 2010 at 02:03 PM ·

...when people on the train stare at your left hand as you practise fingerings.

December 4, 2010 at 02:31 PM ·

Susan: or what ethnic group, sex, age, body shape, etc etc either :D

December 4, 2010 at 02:50 PM ·

when you drive your car with both hands on the wheel, you think about the "weightless" arms held up by the back muscles you need for violin playing.

December 4, 2010 at 04:26 PM ·

When you read a sentence like "Soap will come wrapped in a cello bag with a bow" and think, Who on earth wants that much soap?

December 4, 2010 at 04:31 PM ·

When someone asks you, after watching you play, "which chin do you prefer to play with? :)

December 4, 2010 at 04:39 PM ·

Jim: EEK!

When a G string is mentioned and the first thing you think of...

(that was a test)

December 4, 2010 at 04:44 PM ·

Elise, G-String?  I don't get it ;-)

December 4, 2010 at 05:00 PM ·

@Smiley : G-string as in violin G string, or G-string as in the skimpy female underwear. Don't make me make another video :) :)

December 4, 2010 at 05:04 PM ·

...when someone says "cadenza" and you're thinking about the Beethoven Violin Concerto rather than one of the characters in The Godfather.

December 4, 2010 at 05:10 PM ·

@Jim, and you call yourself a violinist, shame on you.  There was a reason I didn't get it (see the title of this thread).  Get it now?

December 4, 2010 at 05:29 PM ·

. . . when you fing yourself drinking your morning coffee with your arm in perfect bowing position.

December 4, 2010 at 05:39 PM ·

Smiley - gee did Jim fall for that one....

when you are so far gone you figure no one else even knows another interpretation for G string...

(there there Jum, perhaps if you play trombone for w week...)

December 4, 2010 at 05:54 PM ·

...you look in the mirror and note a perfectly relaxed bow hold on your Sonicare toothbrush. 

December 4, 2010 at 05:57 PM ·

...you find yourself searching for neck hickeys on fellow audience members at the Disney Hall.

December 4, 2010 at 05:59 PM ·

...you find yourself posting on violinist.com on a Saturday morning before that first cup of tea.

December 4, 2010 at 06:36 PM ·

... you are obsessed with looking at everything to do with the violin.

December 4, 2010 at 07:25 PM ·

When you´ve taken your violin with you to the cinema :)

December 4, 2010 at 07:55 PM ·

@Smiley & elise - well, it's obvious, now you that mention it! :)

(Can we move to the D-string, now, with chin # 2?)

...when you walk into a bar, and the bartender says, "you got a machine gun in that case, pal?"

December 4, 2010 at 07:55 PM ·

Anthony - those two are total gems...

...love the toothbrush one.  gee, did you nail that...

You go to the symphony and pay $120 for a seat close enough to the stage to see the soloists fingers (and you have a pair of binoculars in your purse just in case)....

December 4, 2010 at 07:59 PM ·

... when you are looking forward to Jim Dorans next video "All about G-Strings," knowing that the only person in the video is Jim.

December 4, 2010 at 08:03 PM ·

... when Jim Dorans says he broke a G-String, it DOESN'T conjure up a mental image of a slightly bruised 50+ year old male bottom.

December 4, 2010 at 08:20 PM ·

..when you walk into a bar and the barmaid says, "Where's your fiddle?"

December 4, 2010 at 09:12 PM ·

When you are upset that life made you too delicate.   Gee it's everyone's dream to be slim and delicate but it sometimes make the whole violin task harder... 

(as when your finger falls in between two strings because it's too small to block the two of them at the same time or that you vibrate with your weak pinky and you scream out loud  "why am I not like Itzhak Perlman!")    Just a violinist will understand this! 

December 4, 2010 at 09:16 PM ·

When you stare at people's neck and hands everywhere (as in the bus or in a boring class...)  and say to yourself he or she would be a heck of a good violinist if they would play...

I mean who notice neck lengh of people except violinists?   It's the most insignifiant thing in life when you don't play violin!

December 4, 2010 at 09:20 PM ·

When you take more time in shower scrubbing your colar bone area than average people (especially in greasy solar cream season)!   Well, I actually don't want to put my violin on something durty (lol)

December 4, 2010 at 09:29 PM ·

@Smiley, you spoiled the surprise for my next video .. thanks, pal ....

.....when you notice your stand partner has the music upside-down, and you don't tell her :)

December 4, 2010 at 09:29 PM ·

When you can play Dounis finger independence exercises for more than 90 seconds without your left hand going into a severe spasm.

December 4, 2010 at 09:31 PM ·

...when you can catch the music in mid-air as it's falling off your music stand.

December 4, 2010 at 09:31 PM ·

...when your cake of rosin is just a sliver.

December 4, 2010 at 09:32 PM ·

...when your only worry at a violin competition is whether you left the lights on in your apartment.

December 4, 2010 at 09:34 PM ·

...when you can pronounce "Vieuxtemps" correctly.

December 4, 2010 at 09:35 PM ·

...when you can play all 600 Vivaldi concertos from memory.

December 4, 2010 at 09:38 PM ·

...when you have an out-of-body experience while playing the Bach solo sonatas.

December 4, 2010 at 09:39 PM ·

...when you run out of "you-know-you're-a-violinist-when" jokes.

December 4, 2010 at 11:49 PM ·

When you think people are totally stupid when they don't know the difference between a violin and a viola!!

December 4, 2010 at 11:50 PM ·

... When you drive people nuts because you don't want to play tennis or any other sports that require arm use because you don't want to strain a muscle! 

December 4, 2010 at 11:51 PM ·

when you can put yourslef on youtube and have not a single bad comment on your playing... 

(Is that even possible... they even criticize badly the great masters ; )

December 4, 2010 at 11:55 PM ·

When you can be an ugly  female in 2010 and still sell many cds!   (meaning that people really want... your playing)

Well that's maybe a little more serious issue than a joke... 

December 5, 2010 at 12:02 AM ·

...When you don't need a CD player to create entertainment for everyone

December 5, 2010 at 12:02 AM ·

... when you're really afraid of falling over and breaking your arm or something (especially if you've had that experience before!)

December 5, 2010 at 12:23 AM ·

When people are starring at your neck and thinking your love life is great, but the mark on your neck is the mark from your violin.

December 5, 2010 at 12:24 AM ·

When you think it is really cool to have your favourite violin pieces of any sort on your iPod or MP3 Player rather than a current pop star...

December 5, 2010 at 12:25 AM ·

When you where light gloves in June to stay warm... 

December 5, 2010 at 01:54 AM ·

-When my mom says that the sound of my violin is the most beautiful ever, because she knows I'm safe at home.

-When someone asks me if I like any other type of music other than "classical", and I tend to say no.

-When I really want to go back home and practice.

-When I practice my vibrato using the right arm as the neck of the violin in my electromagnetics class at college.

-When 90% of the people I know think of me as a music nerd.

-When a violin competition is being transmitted live on the internet and I stop watching football (soccer) to watch the competition (to know how big is this, consider that I'm brazilian).

-When I heard a door slam yesterday and the first thought that came to mindo was a D major chord in a Mahler symphony. 

December 5, 2010 at 02:35 AM ·

When you are watching a favorite concerto on Youtube and every time the camera moves away from the soloist you go nuts because you can't see the bowing and fingering used in that passage.

December 5, 2010 at 03:47 AM ·

When you stay in your basement to practice on evenings and weekends... come on this isn't "cool" and rather antisocial behaviour!    But just  violinists can understand... 

December 5, 2010 at 03:53 AM ·

When you think of bringing plastic bags to cover your violin case but forget an umbrella for yourself in pouring rain!

I did this lately!  It is very telling of my unconscious... I guess I rank my violin before me! 

December 5, 2010 at 04:06 AM ·

When even when the instructions say only one 'you know you are a violinist...' per post you just HAVE to write ten or your head will blow up and maybe take your violin with it (eh, Murilo ;) )

December 5, 2010 at 07:47 AM ·

When you spend hours trying to think up witty ripostes to complete wastes of time like this thread instead of engaging in financially rewarding activities.

December 5, 2010 at 08:48 AM ·

When the only community you joined in the web is the one at "violinist.com".

December 5, 2010 at 10:18 AM ·

You know you're a violinist when the words, "RULE: ONLY ONE RESPONSE PER POST."  gives you stage fright.

December 5, 2010 at 10:20 AM ·

when violinist.com is your home page :)

December 5, 2010 at 10:47 AM ·

..when you hear the words "g-string" and "olive oil" in the same sentence, and your first thought is your violin and your bow.

(you started it, E!!) :)

December 5, 2010 at 01:13 PM ·

When you feel 100% comfortable lugging your very heavy violin case with you around town, to school and everything else because it´s feels so natural to you :)

December 5, 2010 at 01:20 PM ·

When there is a fire drill and the first thing you think to save is your violin.

December 5, 2010 at 02:02 PM ·

Anna: its worse than that - when you feel undressed when you are NOT carrying your violin case around.

December 5, 2010 at 04:20 PM ·

When the Chaconne is part of a recurrent anxiety dream.

December 5, 2010 at 04:24 PM ·

When as a beginner, your lifelong obsession with turtleneck sweaters comes to a screeching halt when you discover that the collar pushes your violin too far from your neck and that's not how you usually play.

December 5, 2010 at 04:26 PM ·

When you start to get rituals before practicing... 

December 5, 2010 at 04:36 PM ·

When you find nothing odd or dodgy with these common violin words:  glissando, vibrato, nut, G-string and "la crosse" (in french)  and playing the nut cracker!  Also related expressions: playing on the G string or playing towards the nut, having a relaxed hand when you do vibrato etc

It's just hilarous!

Imagine a non violinist who would hear all these words and expressions in a conversation between 2 violinists!!!  (non, it's just violin talk don't worry ; ) 

But somehow nowadays, some people came and disciplined the violinists:  No glissando allowed anymore.  Leave them for the oldies! 

December 5, 2010 at 04:38 PM ·

Susan, true!  When you avoid turtle necks and such when you shop...  I always ask myself if I can play violin with the clothes before buying them... 

December 5, 2010 at 08:24 PM ·

...when you decide that lyrics are superfluous. Seriously, how can you hear all that great music when you're distracted by so many words?

December 5, 2010 at 08:28 PM ·

...when your idea of a heavenly Saturday morning involves gazing at, and petting, the accessories at the violin shop. And anything new is more exciting than a box of chocolates.

December 5, 2010 at 08:33 PM ·

So true Vivian!

December 5, 2010 at 11:39 PM ·

... When you find yourself blocking out every other joy in life to play your pride and joy... the violin... 

December 6, 2010 at 01:15 AM ·

... when playing scales is more exciting than sex.

I guess that's a bit much.  Never mind. :-)

December 6, 2010 at 01:38 AM ·

@Smiley,
Maybe ammend it just a bit?

When playing scales can be better than sex, and it depends more on the scales than the sex if that is the case...

December 6, 2010 at 01:45 AM ·

When, after being diagnosed with carpal tunnel, your first thought is not "how will this impact my job", but "how will this impact my violin".

December 6, 2010 at 02:17 AM ·

when you get rid of your TV and build a stuido for your violin  :)

December 6, 2010 at 02:23 AM ·

when you can match a piece in the repertoire with every emotion, including some of the ones that can't be described with words.

December 6, 2010 at 02:26 AM ·

When playing scales can be better than sex, and it depends more on the scales than the sex if that is the case...

@Roland, let me amend that again.

... when playing scales isn't necessarily better than sex, it's just as good, only lasts a lot longer.  :-)

December 6, 2010 at 02:45 AM ·

. . . when you see a pretty new spring dress and ask, "Does that come in black?"

December 6, 2010 at 03:27 AM ·

Smiley, now put when "practicing vibrato with a metronome" is better than...

That might be a psychological problem!  Maso? :)

December 6, 2010 at 03:29 AM ·

@Anne Marie, I agree, but not really better, just lasts a lot longer; at least for me anyway :-)

December 6, 2010 at 05:14 PM ·

....when you can shift into positions higher than 3rd during sex.

December 6, 2010 at 05:35 PM ·

... this topic is really deteriorating fast..

when you'd rather bow your violin than blow your sax.

[yes, I did say sax, that makes it legal]

December 6, 2010 at 06:01 PM ·

For me the question would be more like

You know that playing the violin is what you were meant for when:

You hear love songs that touch you and you realize it is your instrument you feel that way about.

December 6, 2010 at 06:01 PM ·

Well I have a super "hit" reply for Elise here with another music legal word but I would be worst than Mozart if I would tell it... 

Since the rule is one answer per post, I'll just say anything

...When you play violin in your basement at 12:00 pm! 

December 6, 2010 at 06:10 PM ·

You'll find one possible answer to the question here: http://bit.ly/hZ5aRv

FMF

December 6, 2010 at 07:07 PM ·

... this topic is really deteriorating fast..

Elise, I agree completely.

... when doing the wild thing, your number 1 concern is keeping both shoulders relaxed.

December 6, 2010 at 07:32 PM ·

Smiley: "... this topic is really deteriorating fast..

Elise, I agree completely."

Great isn't it?

When you sit at your work desk - with the violin music you are working on playing from you tube...

December 6, 2010 at 08:40 PM ·

...when you can play both solo parts of the Bach Double at the same time (while strumming the figured base with your toes on a guitar).

December 6, 2010 at 09:49 PM ·

....when you can play "Mississippi Hot Dog" in harmonics.

December 6, 2010 at 09:50 PM ·

....when you can think about the shape of the violin without any sexual connotations.

December 6, 2010 at 09:51 PM ·

...when you can think about the shape of the violin with sexual connotations.

December 6, 2010 at 09:52 PM ·

Sanders: "....when you can think about the shape of the violin without any sexual connotations."

well, you blew that didn't you Sanders?

December 6, 2010 at 10:01 PM ·

You're right!!!! I'm positively limp with shame.

December 6, 2010 at 10:07 PM ·

... when the sight of a Del Gesu cures your erectile disfunction.

I guess Sander doesn't qualify :-)

December 6, 2010 at 11:18 PM ·

Sheesh, this thread got a bit....ahem...

Anyway...boring one but...

When you spend a long time in front of the mirror every day/week, but it's not b/c you are vain - you're just watching your bow tracking.

December 6, 2010 at 11:32 PM ·

Well, since we are already in the gutter, why stop now.

... when two girls ask, are you interested in a threesome, and you immediately think piano trio.

December 7, 2010 at 12:41 AM ·

When your violin has a name -- besides the one the violin-maker gave it.

December 7, 2010 at 12:42 AM ·

When a neighbor across the street says: "Oh, so that's you playing?  And here, all this time, I thought it was a recording."

December 7, 2010 at 12:48 AM ·

Ophelia, so when we fill our houses with mirrors because we are violinists, it's not because we are narcissic?  Good!  I am actually getting pretty good on the windex...

...when people ask me why I work my b... off at university and that my first answer is:  because I want to buy myself a little house in the countryside for me and my violin so that I can practice as much as I wish at any hour of the day...

"what you want to buy a house for... your... "violin"???"   They think I'm crazy (maybe I am ; )

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe