You Tube Symphony 2011 - Who's auditioning???

November 3, 2010 at 02:48 PM ·

The You Tube symphony is back and there is a sophisticated audition web page for each orchestral instrument (and even non- orchestral ones).  Check out:

http://www.youtube.com/symphony

The audition material is given in PDF links (Violin solos from: Mozart 4th or 5th , Bach 2nd partita Alamand or Gigue;  and a choice of one of three orchestral passages).  You record a video of yourself and then upload for voting.  

A nice touch are some masterclass videos from outstanding violinists to help you on your way.

C'mon, we have to have at least one V.com  entrant! 

Replies (38)

November 3, 2010 at 03:23 PM ·

[Please note - there is also a nice blog on this subject that preceded this topic.]

November 5, 2010 at 01:48 AM ·

I guess noone!!

November 5, 2010 at 05:01 AM ·

Maybe one of the Aussie v.commies.  I'm not flying out to Sydney to play with an orchestra when I can play with the BSO 15 minutes from my house.  Perhaps you can give it a shot Elise. 

November 5, 2010 at 08:54 AM ·

I'm going to audition.  The chances are beyond slim I know, but I'm going to try.

November 5, 2010 at 09:06 AM ·

Hey, we have a champion!  Go for it Michael :)

[Thanks for the thought Smiley, but I'm not in that league...]

November 6, 2010 at 07:11 AM ·

I'll try for it.  Everything so far is fine except for the dreaded "Don Juan!"  I'm hoping my Zoom Q3 will be up for it, as well as my horrible internet ...  ;-)

November 6, 2010 at 07:49 AM ·

I might do it on viola, if I can find the time to make the recording. The thing is, right now I'm putting grad school applications together, so, we'll see... Definitely would love to go to Australia though!

November 10, 2010 at 03:40 PM ·

Hi there! I just posted my audition videos yesterday. Here are the links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQt8d41o7FI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBCNfH3LL0Y

Hope you enjoy!

November 10, 2010 at 05:32 PM ·

I haven't checked it yet - but we get to vote right? 

So lets rally the V.com block vote!!

November 10, 2010 at 05:40 PM ·

Bravo Paulo!  Excellent playing ... love your guitar improv.  Good luck!

November 11, 2010 at 04:37 PM ·

[Thanks for the thought Smiley, but I'm not in that league...]

@Elise, then you have reached the point of enlightenment.  Continue your journey and the world will be yours.

Golf, Zen and the Violin

December 2, 2010 at 02:56 PM ·

Check out my audition here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f6pEFblWmU

Please watch and review if possible!  :-)

December 2, 2010 at 06:54 PM ·

Lovely!!

Whats not clear is how you actually vote!  I looked for this everywhere and then found that voting does not start until Dec 10th - presumably at the orchestra web page:

Karis: better give us a reminder then...

Good luck!!

December 2, 2010 at 08:50 PM ·

well this is a coincidence. I started checking out some violin auditions at Youtube after someone whose blog I follow posted their cello audition. I only watched a few but there was one that was heads above the rest ... and it turns out he's a v.commie. Way to go Paulo!

December 3, 2010 at 12:17 AM ·

Karis, very nice! Your instrument sounds beautiful.

December 10, 2010 at 06:53 AM ·

My daughter has made it to the voting round! She would be thrilled to have your vote. You can vote every day from the 10th to 17th of December. I think you need to be logged into a youtube account for the voting to work. To see her video go to :

http://goo.gl/ZhWln  

Scroll down below the fold. That url highlights her video but you can also get to the other violin videos. Good luck to all!

December 10, 2010 at 07:59 AM ·

Hey I think I'll go to that performance.

Anyone vcommie who gets in, who needs a place to crash just a bit north of Sydney, our welcome is extended to you.

December 10, 2010 at 10:37 PM ·

I also made it to the voting! I auditioned on viola, so go to the viola page, and find my video, it's titled "YTSO 2011 Viola Audition- Manuel Tabora, Honduras". If you put your cursor on each thumbnail you'll see the video's title, so that's how you can find me. Please vote!

December 10, 2010 at 11:12 PM ·

Here is the direct link to Manuel Tabora's video: http://goo.gl/8BWgB

(You can find the direct links in the space just below the video.)

Mine is  http://goo.gl/ZhWln

Thanks in advance to anyone who votes in the competition!

December 10, 2010 at 11:37 PM ·

Caeli, I appreciate the effort but neither of those links worked for me. They both took me to different cello auditions. There could be something wrong with my browser, but I've seen several direct links like those posted and none of them work for me so far.

December 10, 2010 at 11:54 PM ·

That's strange... I tested them and they work for me, but one of the other finalists, the women who plays the musical saw, said she was having the same problem. At least there are not so many viola finalists, so it's not too hard to locate your audition!

December 11, 2010 at 12:12 AM ·

I was trying them at my work computer, now I'm going home so I'll test them over there. Either way, I appreciate the help, and I'll continue to vote for you. I hope you make it!

December 11, 2010 at 04:41 PM ·

Wow! I can't believe it but I made it through to the voting round for violinists :) 

I'd love your vote - just go to Orchestral Auditions -> Violin, and look out for Jason Chong, and I hope you have some time to listen to different parts of my video.

Thanks!   (I haven't found a way to get a direct link to the voting page for my video, they seem to displayed in a different random order each time).

December 11, 2010 at 05:21 PM ·

Here is the direct link to Jason Chong's video:: goo.gl/vw5PD

Congratulations and good luck to all v.com finalists!

Has anyone else run into this problem with YouTube - if I move the slider to fast-forward/backward the clip, sometimes the sound is lost?  Any idea how to fix it? Thanks!

December 11, 2010 at 11:11 PM ·

I've lost count: how many v.comies to we have in the contest?  Perhaps unfortunately there are now three topics on the same thing so there is a chance someone will be missed... (OTOH maybe thats blanket publicity!)

December 12, 2010 at 03:42 AM ·

To answer the OP's question of who's auditioning: Well, not me, since I don't do orchestra anymore and since I quit flying well before 9-11.

My main concern here is with the voting.  If I understand correctly what I've read, you can vote for as many contestants on a given day as you like, but you can vote for the same contestant only once that day -- right?

Sorry to sound dense, but I'm a little confused.  Does this mean that if I feel like voting more than once for Contestant X, then I can vote for him or her once today, once tomorrow, once Monday, etc.?

I hope not.  That doesn't seem right or fair.  It means Contestant X would get more than one vote from the same voter.

I am highly impressed with the clips I've played -- in fact, I played a number of them this morning and afternoon in my office while finishing my work for the week.  There are a number of contestants I would like to vote for, but before I can do this in good conscience, I need to clear up this matter.  I truly hope I've misconstrued the instructions and that my suspicion is wrong.

Would someone please enlighten me on the subject?  Thanks.

December 12, 2010 at 05:40 AM ·

Paulo Calligopoulos made the cut on the solo improvisation section!

Rhythmic improvisation goo.gl/Ngl4Z

December 12, 2010 at 05:42 AM ·

Does this mean that if I feel like voting more than once for Contestant X, then I can vote for him or her once today, once tomorrow, once Monday, etc.?

Yes, it means exactly that. If you like someone, vote for them every day.

Like they say, "vote early and vote often!"

December 12, 2010 at 12:29 PM ·

"Yes, it means exactly that. If you like someone, vote for them every day.

"Like they say, 'vote early and vote often!'"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- Sigh. -  My suspicion proved right.

Thanks for the clarification, David.

Stay tuned.

December 12, 2010 at 02:30 PM ·

Jim, I don't understand why you think this is unfair. Contestant X is not the only one that enjoys this advantage, Contestans A, B, C, D, E.... They all can get people to vote for them multiple times. What's wrong with this?

Plus, if you read the official rules, it says that the final selection will not be solely based on the vote count. They encourage voting, but the voting won't really determine who gets selected.

December 12, 2010 at 07:10 PM ·

Manuel, thanks -- I tried reading the rules yesterday but didn't find this part.  Now I've saved a complete copy and will review them to find the points you mentioned.

December 12, 2010 at 09:15 PM ·

Vote for YouTube Symphony Competition Violinist

Go to the YouTube Symphony site   http://www.youtube.com/symphony
Click VOTE NOW.
Then Orchestral Audition.
Then click on the picture of the Violin.
Each person can be heard by clicking on their picture or on NEXT.

Public voting will end on or about December 17th, 2010.
"Users can view the videos and vote using the creative criteria outlined in the Official Rules. Each user can vote a maximum of once per video, per category, PER DAY during the user voting period.
Michael Tilson Thomas and Mason Bates, for the orchestra auditions and solo improvisations respectively, will then review the potential finalists against the criteria which are set out in rule 7 of the Official Rules, and select the winners, taking into consideration which entries received the most votes."

December 12, 2010 at 10:04 PM ·

I've voted for the various v.commers, but I am absolutely gobsmacked/mystified/bewildered that Paolo's violin audition wasn't among them.

December 13, 2010 at 12:16 AM ·

I agree, my jaw dropped when I heard his violin audition. He did get into the improv category, so maybe they just wouldn't have the same person competing in two categories?

December 13, 2010 at 03:04 AM ·

I think that it's because you can only be a finalist in one category, and his improv was so good that the judges were forced to choose that over this excellent violin audition.

December 13, 2010 at 05:40 PM ·

the Youtube orchestra is such an exciting thing, been listening to violin auditions, wow! I voted for a couple of violinists, I didn't pay attention to names and such, just listened, was so impressed by so many. Really impressed by this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B5dCrK75sE

December 17, 2010 at 04:06 PM ·

Hi everyone! Today is the last day to vote for finalists in the YouTube Symphony competition! Good luck to everyone! Voting ends tonight at midnight ET. You can vote once every 24 hours and don't need to have a YouTube account.

The link to my audition (alicelizard) is http://goo.gl/ZhWln

Other v.com members in the finals who have posted here are:

"YTSO 2011 Viola Audition- Manuel Tabora, Honduras" (his short link doesn't work, but it's easy to find him among the violas.)

and Paulo Calligopoulos, who is in the rhythmic improvisation finals:

http://goo.gl/Ngl4Z

You can vote once for each audition once in a 24 hour period. Thanks so much for supporting us! The results will be out in January. 

December 18, 2010 at 04:36 PM ·

Hey! The voting is over, now comes the waiting, my favorite part about any audition process... NOT!!

Caeli, I voted for you a lot! I will be very happy if you make it, and I'm sure you will, so let us all know so we can throw a v.com party for you! Best of luck :-)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe