Why do you place the violin?

September 16, 2010 at 03:27 AM ·

Why do you play the violin? The sound of the violin is so beautiful and also I think because I am a sagittarious and bow is made from horse tail.. so I am so related to it.

How about you?

Replies (28)

September 16, 2010 at 05:31 AM ·

Violin is Superior.  All must comply.  Resistance is futile.

September 16, 2010 at 05:56 AM ·

The violin represent my voice. I speak through my violin. ;-)

September 16, 2010 at 06:27 AM ·

I played electric guitar for 20 years and I think the bow is similar to guitar distortion but better and you dont need electricity. Like a guitar with no distortion is like pizzacato. A bow and distortion have a similar bzzzzzz sound. And I love the vibrato and the really high notes. And the sound you get when you bounce the bow. And its easy to carry. And violins look really cute - like a baby guitar.

September 16, 2010 at 07:23 AM ·

First of all because I love it. And it is an infinitely rewarding tool/seismograph for spiritual growth.

September 16, 2010 at 07:37 AM ·

Because I have to.

September 16, 2010 at 08:25 AM ·

Because I am compeled to nurture the dominant feminine side of my personality........"you play the violin like a woman!" ............Well the violin, she is of female form.........giving birth to sound.

And she can also sting like a scorpion.......... 

Anyway it's too late to stop now, I have dedicated my life to learning the secrets of violin playing. 

September 16, 2010 at 09:13 AM ·

Because thats what was in my basement when I got this uncontrollable urge to play an instrument again.  Oh, and violin really is the only one I can play.  Cept guitar that is, and ever tried puting that under your chin?  Well, just doesn't work doe sit.

Actually, I think aliens planted a seed in my stomach that hatched after 40 years and took over my brain.  No wait - my violin IS an alien!!  Michael is right... resistance is futile....

September 16, 2010 at 10:17 AM ·

There was a young lady from Malaysia

Who thinks the violin is an aphrodasia 

Speaking thru her violin of luv 

She gives everyone the shuv

Her only audience now is her dog Constipatia 

September 16, 2010 at 11:19 AM ·

Violin is about the nearest thing to singing, which is one of our most natural impulses.  Although I have enough natural voice -- a lot of us do -- and the wide range and strong pitch sense to provide the raw material, it was the violin that grabbed me first.

It happened when a local community orchestra played at my elementary school.  I'd already heard a good deal of symphonic music and violin solo music at home on recordings and radio broadcasts; so I felt at home with it.  After the performance, I told a classmate that I'd like to learn violin.  I was hooked on the sound.

This kid was already into cello lessons.  He told me, "A violin is a lot harder to play than a cello."  Well, what he said somehow appealed to the little swashbuckler in me.  I welcomed the challenge.  Thanks to an elementary piano background, I could already read music.  Several months before I began violin lessons, I was already fingering and bowing simple tunes on a small instrument, using what was to become my first instruction book.

About three months into the lessons, my first teacher told me, "I think you're ready for vibrato."  She was right.  I idolized the tone and singing sound she got with her own instrument and wanted to play that way myself.  While I definitely get a kick out of mastering and executing bravura passages, what really gets to me -- and what I've always craved most from the start to this day -- is the full-bodied singing tone that reaches the soul.  If you told me to name one thing that I would like to be remembered for, musically, this would be it.

September 16, 2010 at 02:33 PM ·

I think of the violin as an extension of my body. The violin fits into my body like there was a place made for it. The bowing feels natural.  It is not a matter of choice, it is something that one does naturally like talking, walking, taking care of your kids, and so on...

September 16, 2010 at 02:34 PM · I believe the violin chose me!

September 16, 2010 at 02:35 PM · @ Michael- Violin is Superior. All must comply. Resistance is futile. Too bad there isn't an electric violin talking to to a non-electric violin saying the above!

September 16, 2010 at 03:01 PM ·

A woman with a wild imagination

Was abducted by an Alien invasion,

In a Space ship flying by

She was not left high and dry

Can you conceive the ramification

Concertos are now written for her Glorification 

September 16, 2010 at 04:48 PM ·

It was viola for me, because of my love for opera and vocally-driven rock, and I chose viola over violin because my favorite voices all sang in that range (tenor, contralto, tenorino, altino), and with the same clear-but-smokey quality.  Viola is as close to the human voice as one can get without actually singing.

And as a pianist, I like playing something portable.  It's such a joy to know that no matter what, I will be playing on the same damned instrument wherever I go!  No more crapshoot!

It's also interesting from a pianistic perspective, because you really do have to go looking for the notes and make them one by one as opposed to having a bunch pre-made and handed to you, and having to play a dozen at once.  It's very different, and good for the ear.

September 16, 2010 at 05:01 PM ·

@ Janis - I have to agree with you about the piano.  I have played on some piano (s) that just were not taken care of.  It is difficult to make music when the piano is not in good shape.

September 16, 2010 at 05:15 PM ·

As a youthful mandolinist  I envied our fabulous fiddler who could "sing" while all I could do was to play lots of notes.  Also, you can play most any kind of music, with a large variety of instruments and musicians.  But most of all the violin can swing like crazy, or as Duke Ellington said, "You can play it sweet or hot"

September 16, 2010 at 06:30 PM ·

No Royce, acoustic forever!  Reliance on electricity is for the weak!  I am of course hoping that electric-enthusiasts will take this with a grain of salt and realize I'm kidding (slightly...haha).  The truth is I am a long-time fan of all things acoustic.  That's one of the things I love about my violin.  The sound of a violin is a continuous legato that has echoed for hundreds of years, independent from being hooked up to any kind of power source besides the player's own efforts.  When I play I like to imagine that I am not just playing a single violin, but I am almost kind of channeling violin sound throughout history, taking part in the tradition and helping it continue.

September 16, 2010 at 06:48 PM ·

Mom made me. Resistance was futile. ;-)

September 16, 2010 at 07:33 PM ·

If resistance was futile you obviously do not play an electric violin. QED

September 16, 2010 at 08:04 PM ·

Play Violin Klingon Style!!!!

September 16, 2010 at 10:54 PM ·

I tried a guitar and flute because I was told that only those who started young were good violinists.  Violin fits better with my personnality.  When I was 14, I decided that the "you have to start young thing" wasn't going to be true for me.  Now, at the beginning of my 20's and lots of work after (even though I have school that takes so much time ggrr), I can tell that I certainly have suceeded to catch up with good average kids/teens in a good average conservatory (good place for music but not Julliard...) 

What I observed is that with lots of work and a somehow musical head (I mean a bit of ear and minimum of mental musicality), you can catch up every good average kids.  Of course, it's impossible to catch up with prodigies!  People tend to forget that if you take a bunch of kids, they won,t all be talented because they started at 5.  We just hear about the few ones who are prodigies and started at 5...   that's the explanation ; ) 

Interesting thread!

As the others, of course that I'm now 100% converted to the violin religion... and think god is Oistrakh : ) 

Anne-Marie

September 16, 2010 at 11:04 PM ·

well, the current opinion seems to be that resistance is futile, but has anyone considered inductance? It is so much more enabling....

I chose the violin because when I was in 6th grade, a friend of mine wanted to let me in on a secret. We were in his home, and he went to his bedroom, and from under the bed pulled out his treasure; a violin. His mom rushed into the room, and let him show it, but would not let me touch it. I never heard him play, but from that time on, I always considered the instrument in the category of 'treasure'.

Fast forward to me as a grandpa; I spend too much time being technical, and wanted to expand my boundaries. When I thought of music, the violin was the first instrument I thought about.
I still do not play well, but I do love the opportunity to pull out a violin, and when I do, it takes me to a place and time where other things do not. Not linear with the rest of the world, but kind of a vacation.

September 18, 2010 at 03:28 AM ·

I play because it's who I am. For so many years after having to attend to other things in life, and having a hole inside of my being that would throb when I heard a violin, I have it back, I have the time, I spend the time, it makes me whole and happy.

"When my soul was in the lost & found, you came along to claim it", that's why I play, my soul was at long last reclaimed

September 18, 2010 at 03:32 PM ·

I fiddle with strength
Using the whole bow’s length
I bring it down low
Sweet and solid with little bow
I discover some piece I never knew
My solace, my joy when I’m happy or blue

September 18, 2010 at 05:12 PM ·

so that, before i start pleasing people with my music making after many years of practicing, i could give them the chance to wish they were deaf first. :o)

September 19, 2010 at 07:05 PM ·

I place the violin between my jaw and collar bone / shoulder, with my left hand supporting.

September 19, 2010 at 10:02 PM ·

I'm with Royce - I didn't chose the violin; it chose me. However, over the years it has also chosen not to obey me when I tell it what to do.
:) Sandy

September 20, 2010 at 04:19 PM ·

Then you'll have to try either the carrot or the stick method Sander ; )   Spraying water in the air and telling no won't fix the problem... nor turning it on its back for 30 sec... (oups think I'm refering to Cesar Millan's stuff! ; )

Anne-Marie

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe