My Mother Had Throat Cancer

September 10, 2010 at 07:50 PM ·

This past June my mother was diagnosed with throat cancer.  I published an article here at Violinist.com and the response of encouragement was overwhelming, to say the least.  Al Ku emailed me to say that his Wife is an Oncologist and if we had any questions to feel free to submit them to him.  Karen Allendorfer also contacted me as well as Raphael and several others.  Anne-Marie Proulx and Sam Mihailoff have become very supportive friends with Sam going above and beyond the call of duty and is now held very dear to my family's heart!

A month ago Mom had her last treatment and is recovering remarkably well!  She wishes to thank all in this violin community for the encouragements and offers of support.  This past weekend I was with my folks and played Mom 3 rounds of Miniature Golf which with 4 hole-in-ones she skunked me on the 1st game!  We also picked chokecherries which I will be making syrup for pancakes.

So To All of You, we are indebted to you and love you all!

Royce Faina

Replies (22)

September 10, 2010 at 08:24 PM ·

Very good news!  Good luck!!!

Anne-Marie

September 10, 2010 at 09:48 PM ·

Wonderful Royce!  May she soon sing along with your playing :)

September 10, 2010 at 10:37 PM ·

Bravo to your Mom Royce!!!

September 10, 2010 at 11:04 PM ·

Great -- thanks for sharing the good news.  As I recall, you told us that she enjoyed your playing.  I suppose she'll be able to hear it more often now.

I think of my own mom every day -- and my dad, too.  Today, September 10, would have been their wedding anniversary.  Although they passed in 1991 and 1993, respectively, I continue to give thanks all the time for their upbringing and influence -- I still learn from it.

September 10, 2010 at 11:07 PM ·

@ Jim-

I hear you bro!

September 10, 2010 at 11:29 PM ·

This is Mom at the Tea House where we enjoyed tea before playing miniature golf!

September 11, 2010 at 12:13 AM ·

She is beautiful... Say hello for me please...Marc

September 11, 2010 at 12:51 AM ·

Ditto Royce, sorry I can't join you guys ...

ee

September 11, 2010 at 12:03 PM ·

Way to go !!
Sandy

September 11, 2010 at 02:18 PM ·

Tank you Everyone!!!!

September 11, 2010 at 04:30 PM ·

She looks very healthy and lively on the picture!  Good sign!!!

Anne-Marie

September 12, 2010 at 01:45 AM ·

Nice to have you back Royce and good to hear about your mother's recovery. 

September 12, 2010 at 02:09 AM ·

Thank You Smiley! Nice to be back.

September 12, 2010 at 04:00 PM ·

Such great news, Royce!  Thanks for letting us know.  Ask her if she gives miniature golf lessons (my miniature golf skills are the WORST!!!!).  :)

Many prayers go out for her continued recovery.

September 12, 2010 at 06:17 PM ·

Good to know your mom is doing so well!

September 12, 2010 at 06:32 PM ·

Royce,  Thanks for the update!  I'm so glad that the news is good.   Best wishes for a continued speedy recovery for your mom!

September 12, 2010 at 09:36 PM ·

Wishing her a continuing recovery! Jim

September 13, 2010 at 01:39 PM ·

royce, happy to hear the happy news.  as we get older and our parents get olderer, nothing can beat the news that they are in stable health. 

September 14, 2010 at 05:24 PM ·

@ Al- Thank you and your wife so very much! Maybe we can treat you all to a round of miniature golf! ;)

September 14, 2010 at 06:12 PM ·

perhaps the collective positive energy from the v.comers has helped to zap the little bugger into remission:)   doing nothing can be something:)

i have quite a few relatives in the medical field and my observation has been that the diagnosis of cancer has the most significant psychosocial impact on the family , much more than heart attack or hiv, for instance.  it is a tough thing to accept and a though thing to live through.  it drains people.  i think playing violin helps sort out some of those emotions and feelings.

it is good to have good people in the field trying to help.  i remember not long ago my wife wanted to stop by a shop to pick up something for a 3 yo.  what for, how about me, i asked.  well,  40 yo mother of 4 kids (16, 10, 8 and 3) was approaching the end and my wife wanted to sit down with the kids alone, to see how they are dealing with it.  3 yo...i myself do not have the strength and courage to even to think about  what it will be like,,,except it sucks big time.

then the other day she said an older lady was mad coming into the office.  when she told her husband (90 yo retired judge still playing doubles tennis daily ) that she was going for the weekly chemo, he said: have a good time! :)

------

i would take on the minature golf offer only if i can play with a pink ball with a matching putter grip!  we will play with you only, since your Mom is a shark! :)

September 14, 2010 at 06:26 PM ·

That's great news Royce! This is my first time reading about it, but best wishes to your mother. 

JK

September 14, 2010 at 07:26 PM ·

I was an L.P.N. for 12 years and mom was an L.P.N. for 16.  We were the 1st mother & son team in our nursing school's history.  We have seen cancer either pull families together or widen a few devisions a bit more wider.  For my family it has pulled us together a whole lot more closer!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe