Road Tripping, Bow Tripping

August 24, 2010 at 04:03 PM ·

Short Summary:

The bad news is, my modern Italian bow caught fire and burned during a rehair mishap a week and a half ago.  The good news is, modern Italian bows gain value in a relatively short time, and with the settlement, I get to shop for a bow worth up to $1500 more than what I paid for the last one.   (Who said appreciation wasn't an important factor to consider?)  With two weeks of wide open schedule to conclude a non-stop rainy summer in Alaska, and in anticipation the long, long winter ahead, what better timing could I have asked for a road trip in the lower 48? 

So, I bought a car on ebay in Connecticut (buy one in CT for $5000, sell in AK for $8000), went shopping in Philly and found a nice Hill bow for $4000 to take with me on trial, and drove out to Tulsa to surprise my folks and spend a week basking in some 100+ degree sunshine.  This Thursday, I would like to take a day trip to a series of good shops to try as many bows in my price range as possible before I tie the knot with this Mr. Hill that I so love.  Question is, which direction do I go?

Replies (8)

August 24, 2010 at 06:52 PM ·

I found my bow while at a music festival, I bought it from Dan Lawrence based out of Lee's Summit, MO which is near Kansas City, MO. He was very fair and knows his stuff. Might be a place worth stopping in :)

http://www.danlawrenceviolins.com/

August 25, 2010 at 12:22 AM ·

I talked with Matt Wyatt today about his bow collection, and he recommended Dan Lawrence as well.  How exciting, looks like I'm taking a trip to Kansas City!

August 25, 2010 at 03:17 AM ·

You can't go wrong with a Hill.  Just make sure to get it authenticated by an independent source.  If you don't make up your mind this week, you can always get bows shipped to you.  Your travels sound like a lot of fun, but I don't think I could make a good assessment on the spot.  I need at least a few days to get acclimated to a new bow.

August 25, 2010 at 03:40 AM ·

I take them out on trial.  I know what you mean, every bow has its different nuances.  I wan't able to really get into the meat of it until I'd had a good long practice session with it all by myself.

August 27, 2010 at 04:19 PM ·

I went right to his door last week, only to read a note posted to the door saying that he was gone on vacation and would return the following week.  It was not meant to be...

Here's the update.  I found a pristine Nurnbereger, part of Matt Wyatt's collection in Independence, MO.  It plays absolutely beautifully, and I feel very pleased with this bow, and with the price.  Look him up if you're in the area, as well as Dan Lawrence.  Both shops were incredibly enjoyable.

August 28, 2010 at 03:46 PM ·

Emily,

I'm glad you discovered the "value" in old German bows.  I did a rather extensive bow hunt last year and ended up buying a Ludwig Bausch, made in the late 1800's.  In your price range, the old German bows offer an excellent value, and may play as good (better?) than bows that are many times more expensive.  German bows are quite undervalued right now, IMO.

August 28, 2010 at 07:01 PM ·

Buy low, sell high.

August 28, 2010 at 07:40 PM ·

The best way to get a great bow is accidentally with a second hand violin - I just saw my bow for sale for 3.5K at a reputable dealer :o

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe