Does anyone else get thirsty when you're practicing?

August 6, 2010 at 12:23 PM ·

Almost every time I practice for more than say...half an hour, I get really thirsty, haha. I wondered if this happened to anyone else and what causes might be. I'm not concerned about it, just curious! :)

Replies (20)

August 6, 2010 at 12:27 PM ·

Yes, I always rehearse with a cup of tea. It comes from too little swallowing and tension, I would guess?

August 6, 2010 at 03:04 PM ·

Sometimes for a glass of pinot noir... or cote du rhone or whatever red plonk bottle is open!  This kicks in only before a late evening practice...

August 6, 2010 at 03:13 PM ·

I usually visit Starbucks before practicing.  :)  The caffeine in an iced coffee usually sharpens my concentration, and practice goes ever-so-much better!

August 6, 2010 at 03:14 PM ·

@ Elise. Have you observed if there is any correlation between the length of the passage one can memorize during 5 minutes, and the amount of Pinot Noir drunk? :) (Which might also be time-dependent, how long after drinking one starts practicing. ) 

August 6, 2010 at 03:19 PM ·

I get thirsty.  I sometimes get a snoot-ful of rosin, which then settles in my throat and next thing you know, I'm chugging water within certain intervals.  Water also plays a role in the type of practice I'm having. 

My husband built me a very zen-like music studio.  It has candles, mirror, rocking chair, window, - even a tree growing in a huge container in it.  I have touch lights that turn on if you simply brush against them.  If I'm having a good practice, you will find one glass of water.  If I'm having a bad practice, several glasses of water can be found.  Sometimes, even the poor tree has been reduced to holding a glass of water in its branches.

----Ann Marie

August 6, 2010 at 03:25 PM ·

Make sure you end your hour of practice by playing Handel's Water Music, La Mer, or the song "Let's Drink" from the Student Prince.

August 6, 2010 at 04:00 PM ·

I like that - that's funny.

---Ann Marie

August 6, 2010 at 06:07 PM ·

"Does anyone else gets thirsty when you practice "

I have noticed that people tend to leave the room when I practice. Some have told me they would like to make a cup of coffee now, they say their throats are rather dry. " Haven't he got something stronger in the cupboard to see us through" was among the comments I've heard.  

I did not know that so many of my friends suffer from Xerostomia when they hear the sound of a violin. It particularly effects the women, they even feel dizzy.

Alison just google DRY MOUTH there may be some mouth watering tips.

August 6, 2010 at 07:14 PM ·

Yes!!!  I thought it was just me!  My throat is always dry after about half an hour of practicing.  Very irritating!  Not sure why as I don't really sweat when I practice so I wonder how that correlates with your body registering the need for a drink of water ...  I do wonder if it relates to some level of stress on your body because when I am practicing slow music I don't notice the dryness as soon.  Faster music/scales always seem to make me thirstier!

August 6, 2010 at 07:29 PM ·

Perhaps you are breathing through your mouth!

Andy

August 6, 2010 at 07:49 PM ·

Sometimes, I think I should practice with vodka to forget all of it ; )

But I take water instead...  

Anne-Marie

August 6, 2010 at 07:58 PM ·

@ Lena. Have you observed if there is any correlation between the length of the passage one can memorize during 5 minutes, and the amount of Pinot Noir drunk? :) (Which might also be time-dependent, how long after drinking one starts practicing. ) 

Not really.  What I have noticed, however, is that I get progressivley better the more I drink.

Only odd thing is that the drink seems to do sabotage my tape recorder since it works worse and worse at the same time.  It must sleep it off though since the next morning its back to normal.

August 6, 2010 at 07:59 PM ·

If you get thirsty after 2 hours, then I would say you might be dehydrated, but not after 30 minutes.  It might be an allergic reaction to the rosin.  I would suggest trying the Clarity hypoallergenic rosin.  My son used to get itchy when practicing, but after switching to Clarity, he no longer gets itchy.  It may have nothing to do with your thirst, but for $5-10, it's certainly worth a try, and it is pretty good rosin too.

August 7, 2010 at 05:52 PM ·

Glad you mentioned Clarity, Smiley.  I started using it a couple of weeks ago, and REALLY like it!  This summer has been especially hot and humid where I live, and my old rosin (it wasn't even a dark rosin) wasn't reacting well to it.  I've had NO problems with Clarity, and I think it's easier than the old rosin to clean off my strings after practicing.

August 7, 2010 at 06:32 PM ·

I know a famous violinist who was quite tirsty all the time, even during the concert. And he played perfectly, because, when asked how he could play after having absorb a complete bottle of wine , he  replied: "because you have to practice that way my friend !!!"

August 7, 2010 at 06:57 PM ·

Yes, it seems that many people get thirsty when I play. They seem to go for the harder beverages; in fact, I've noticed that someof them do not even make it back into audible range.

August 7, 2010 at 10:17 PM ·

These pretzels are making me thirsty. I always drink coffee while Im practising cuz it helps you play better. And focus harder. Iced when its hot and hot when its cold.

August 7, 2010 at 11:16 PM ·

Perhaps thats the difference: I'm already high-wired and need something to ground me - hence the red wine.  Coffee?  I'd need to play the viola, cello and double bass at the same time as the violin :-\

August 7, 2010 at 11:16 PM ·

Perhaps thats the difference: I'm already high-wired and need something to ground me - hence the red wine.  Coffee?  I'd need to play the viola, cello and double bass at the same time as the violin :-\

August 9, 2010 at 07:32 AM ·

Ive noticed with guitar too if you only drink a little wine you play better. Ive read that alcohol is a stimulant in low doses. But its easy to accidentaly drink too much and then I cant play anything at all. I prefer coffee. Alcohol is the reason I broke my leg so I dont know if I should ever again now.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe