Julia Fischer performs and speaks about Paganini 24

June 20, 2010 at 03:54 AM ·

You'll find Paganini's Caprice no. 24 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yWmbI1z0i8

and the interview here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUhbFC7kOe0

If someone is interested in not just viewing but also downloading these videos let me know, I'll provide you with corresponding links here in this thread.

FMF

Replies (30)

June 20, 2010 at 06:07 AM ·

Letting you know :-)

Is she official a Decca only artist now? Her Bach concertos was also on Decca if I remember correctly?

June 20, 2010 at 09:17 AM ·

Frank-Michael Fischer

Are you a relati on by any chance?, Anyway, please congratulate her on her recent Bach at the Wigmore Hall in London last February, and on her CD of Bach. Pretty marvellous playing, and very musical.

June 20, 2010 at 04:11 PM ·

Here are the two clips for downloading:

http://www.frank-michael-fischer.com/~v.com/mmarchive/Paganini/

Yes, Julia Fischer is related to me. And yes, Julia Fischer is a DECCA artist at present.

FMF

June 20, 2010 at 07:35 PM ·

Thank you!

I am sure that this recording will be a must have. She has the abillity to find something new and deeper with everything she plays.

July 17, 2010 at 06:02 AM ·

Here Julia Fischer speaks about the challenge of performing all five Mozart violin concertos within three evenings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zWWR_YzboM

FMF

July 17, 2010 at 06:10 AM ·

Sweet (ta da) Jesus, another recording of these caprices!?  How about showing a little creativity?

July 17, 2010 at 07:37 AM ·

Some artists may even use creativity for their interpretations ;-)

FMF

July 17, 2010 at 01:13 PM ·

I might get this recording if it's playable on my machine.  I bought her Bach recording, only to find out that it is something called a "super-audio cd," which isn't playable on my cd player.

Incidentally, I heard her deliver a very satisfying performance of the Mendelssohn concerto several years ago with the National Symphony Orchestra.  A boneheaded comment in a condescending Washington Post review of her performance sticks in my memory:  "She tried to play up a romantic storm but she missed the essential sweetness of this music."  The reviewer, who apparently prefers his Mendelssohn emasculated, didn't seem to notice that the first movement is marked "Allegro, molto appassionato."

July 17, 2010 at 03:04 PM ·

I am almost certain it's your CD machine having the problem with the PentaTone Bach recording. All my SA-CDs play perfecty on any of my nine CD players. Anyway, pls send me an email and I will provide you with high-quality mp3 or even flac files of these two CDs for download.

FMF

July 17, 2010 at 03:35 PM ·

I've been an admirer of JF for at least a year, and I particularly loved her unac. Bach CD and the Wigmore Hall performances in London this year.

However, I heard the youtube version of her 24th Paganini Caprice, and although it was good it never really got through to me. Maybe it was a one off, or maybe her temperament isn't quite right for this music yet. (Of course, I still think the jury is out on this. Is it really great music?)

July 17, 2010 at 03:47 PM ·

Now,here we have what I call an exceptional talent and artist. There is a lot of similitude, althought they both are unique, with James Ehnes. Julia and James do have an individual sound on they instrument. Both are outstanding in chamber music. Both are higly gifted pianists. And both are offering us new interpretations in the standard repertoire and the very best in Bach solo works.

Julia,Hilary Hahn and James Ehnes are my 3 favorite artists and violinists.  And we have not seen such a level of playing since a very long time...

July 17, 2010 at 07:13 PM ·

"Sweat Jesus, another recording of these caprices!?  How about showing a little creativity?"

Like 'creative' spellings, for example? ;)

If you are going to unnecessarily criticize, at least spell correctly. The fact that I find your post disappointing may be an opinion, Jonathan. But pointing out the fact that it is not supportive, is most certainly not. 

Hats off to anyone who records the Caprices in their entirety. As well as the Bach! 

July 17, 2010 at 08:24 PM ·

This sometimes happens with late night posts, I will correct it for you :-) 

My post is definitely not supportive nor was it intended to be...my hats off to anyone who can perform the 24 Caprices of Paganini, and you sir are not one of them from what I have heard.  My hat does not go off to those who waste their talent adding yet another recording of these great caprices to the pile.

PS

Since this forum has become sooooo serious, please keep in mind that I'm playing with you! 

July 18, 2010 at 06:37 AM ·

What is the thinking behind Julia changing outfit throughout the video? I'm very impressed with the speed in which she can change, particularly whilst playing Paganini!

July 18, 2010 at 07:24 AM ·

I was so busy listening I didn't even realise. Strange, because I usually notice when young ladies strip off!!

I suppose I'm not really a visual person, I rarely notice when my wife's had her hair done...

July 18, 2010 at 04:27 PM ·

I'm going to take a closer look now..

Edit, after second look: There is more going on than only a change of clothing. White background, black background, outfit 1, outfit 2, switching all the time. Ms Fischer and the video crew must have been very busy, she probably playing the Caprice twice. The things people come up with!

I had missed this totally when I watched and listened to this video the first time. That shows I'm not much of an observer.

Meanwhile I listened to the sixteenths in the theme: they are played with great calm. Love that!

Bart

July 19, 2010 at 07:54 AM ·

Post removed by me.

July 19, 2010 at 02:47 PM ·

:-)  d'oh!  Look what I started, lighten up!

And for the record I love Julia's playing and have three of her albums that I love, I was simply saying that I'm disappointed in her rep selection.  And William's chops I was busting!  lol  I've heard him play Paganini and he is a professor of the violin!  I know mood is hard to dedect in online text, but did that really seem serious!?  HA!

July 21, 2010 at 12:00 AM ·

Is she using a Teka chin rest?

December 1, 2010 at 11:11 PM ·

You'll find STRINGS Magazine's latest cover story: Julia Fischer, her approach to Paganini's Caprices and some hints on practicing and performing them here. And there as facsimile.

FMF

December 2, 2010 at 04:57 AM ·

Classical Grammy 2010 nominees (violinist): Isabelle Faust & Julia Fischer

The full nominees' list as PDF.

FMF

December 9, 2010 at 02:37 PM ·

Good news: Here you'll find over 15' of audio samples from Julia Fischer's Paganini CD. Published by WGBH in Keith Lockhart's "Classical Corner"

FMF

December 30, 2010 at 10:17 PM ·

From Texas Public Radio: Paganini, talk and more with Julia Fischer (29'12", mp3)

Happy New Year!

FMF

December 30, 2010 at 10:40 PM ·

How about we start another thread about creativity? First, we assume that anything written over 150 years ago has been over-recorded and over-played  (counting all the community orchestras, civic orchestras, and national groups).
So, have a rule that only 25% of the stuff we play is from that era; everything else has to be newer?

Actually, maybe make it 250 years, because I'm a fiddler and some of the fiddle classics may not ba available for me to play if set the barrier too recent.

More seriously, I do get the feeling that there is a 'top ten' that gets overworked, but I also feel that one of the core issues relates to what people will pay for. There is a thread on this forum about how to get people to attend live concerts. Getting people to buy music is related. Any enterprise costs money; if enough people pay for it, it has a chance of recurring. If they don't the provider eats man & cheese, and trades down their violin to something they can afford.

I would like a world where any recording of a popular set also includes a bonus selection of some hidden gem. This may be the best way to widen the pool at the same time as staying profitable.

April 30, 2012 at 05:36 AM · Here you'll find a rare live recording of Paganini's "Le Streghe" with Julia Fischer: http://bit.ly/Ihkmun

FMF

April 30, 2012 at 08:30 AM · Wow, some great fiddling there! Thanks for sharing this one as well FMF :)

May 10, 2012 at 09:49 PM · And now we have Julia Fischer, Daniel Müller-Schott & friends performing Brahms "Double" live at Aspen 2011.

As well as Julia Fischer, The Cleveland Orchestra under Franz Welser-Möst performing Berg Violin concerto live in Cleveland 2011.

FMF

May 10, 2012 at 10:26 PM · the paganini is definetely not her best performance. It sounds very scratchy and uncomfortable to me. Part of it may be the sound engineer, but I know her tendence playing with that scratch sound from other recordings where I actually liked it. But here I think a more pure tone would be better... since its a solo piece... plus intonation at some places. i really wonder why she made that video. The dress is also not very advantageous.

May 11, 2012 at 01:13 PM · And a bit more from Aspen:

Bach Double concerto with Julia Fischer, Augustin Hadelich, Aspen Chamber Symphony.

Plus the colorful Concerto grosso No.1 by Alfred Schnittke.

Live recording from July 22, 2011.

FMF

May 11, 2012 at 07:09 PM · No chance.

Julia Fischer is the best violinist of our time, and I love her.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe