I HAVE to play.

May 27, 2010 at 07:31 PM ·

I've noticed in the last couple of week for certain, that there are times (no matter what I'm doing) that I just have to play. I find that if I'm out and about, and cannot play that I'll listen to violin music until I get home, usually my favorite's. I was just curious if it's normal to randomly need to play. It's not that I'm complaining, just curious if anyone else feels this way.

Replies (25)

May 27, 2010 at 08:13 PM ·

Yup.  One of my sayings is that I'm addicted to the Alto Clef.  If I don't get my "fix", I get antsy.  Recently, I went away for a weekend.  No viola.  The next day, my arms felt incredibly empty.  It was a physical as well as mental emptiness. 

I drove myself crazy internally until I got back home.

---Ann Marie

May 27, 2010 at 08:49 PM ·

Definitely! It's like my brain needs it and can't focus. Sometimes if I don't have time for a full practice, I will just mess around with one piece to get it out of my system. Or like you, I listen or watch something on YouTube and it helps. Good to know others feel this way too!

May 27, 2010 at 08:51 PM ·

Another hopeless addict.  Maybe we should start a help group.  Worst case scenario is hearing a favorite piece on the radio.  And torture if I don't actually have the music...

I suppose thats why this place really exists - when we can't play we talk about it :)

ee

May 27, 2010 at 08:56 PM ·

Yup, I totally feel that way. But there are worse things to be addicted to. :)

May 27, 2010 at 09:33 PM ·

Guilty as charged.  I guess that makes us bonafide orch dorks.

www.violinist.com/discussion/response.cfm

May 27, 2010 at 10:14 PM ·

Yes!!!!!! Bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 27, 2010 at 10:18 PM ·

Absolutely!

May 27, 2010 at 11:34 PM ·

Yes.  After a few days of no violin, I miss the feel of it in my hands, and the sound I can make.  Whenever I play, I truly feel a connection to the instrument. 

May 27, 2010 at 11:36 PM ·

Yes.  After a few days of no violin, I miss the feel of it in my hands, and the sound I can make.  Whenever I play, I truly feel a connection to the instrument. 

May 28, 2010 at 12:10 AM ·

Sorry for the double-post. 

May 28, 2010 at 01:39 AM ·

Every single day!  To skip a day of practice is like going without breakfast in the morning.

You just don't feel 100% without it :)

May 30, 2010 at 02:49 PM ·

Happens a LOT!!!  I usually practice in late afternoon or early evening, but I often have a HUGE urge to play again later in the evening.  Unfortunately, my husband has to get up for work at 2:30 a.m., so playing before he wakes up is totally out of the question.  The house is small enough that I wouldn't be able to play without disturbing his sleep. 

May 30, 2010 at 05:28 PM ·

Absolutely. Violin is very theraputic for me, so whenever I get anxious or upset I immediately reach for the bow.

May 30, 2010 at 07:12 PM ·

it's easy to practice when you feel like it. the trick is to practice when you don't feel like it. If I slack off for a day or two, I tell myself "you really should practice" and then I answer myself  "I don't really feel like it" and then I tell myself "get up you slackard and do some practicing"

I feel a lot better about myself when I'm done, and usually get quite a bit accomplished when this happens.

May 30, 2010 at 07:25 PM ·

Yes, it's a shared emotion.  I never go on vacation without my fiddle, too.

May 30, 2010 at 09:37 PM ·

Yes, it's a need, a hunger. Sheer selfish enjoyment!

May 30, 2010 at 10:23 PM ·

@Julian=

The Greatest achievement is Total Altruism! Give up self, be only fodder..... surrender yourself to the greater bother/sister=hood! Have NO value! Devote yourself to the whole!

May 30, 2010 at 11:01 PM ·

@Royce-

Total altruism? are you talking Mother Theresa?  for it is difficult to imagine a fiddler measuring up to that definition and some scientists believe that it do not exist. Even a guy that gives his fiddles away, gives free  lessons and play in old age homes are not totally altruistic.

Have to play? I only play because I have a lesson next week and don"t want  to look a fool in front of my teacher who seem to have an over assessment of my ability.

May 31, 2010 at 06:41 AM ·

@ Royce

I suffer from an excess of pride. And that excess of pride, at this stage, means that I won't expose myself and my mediocre playing to anyone apart from my teacher and my dog...

In fact I'd say that doing what I do behind closed, sound-proof doors is the most altruistic thing I can do :-)

May 31, 2010 at 08:41 AM ·

@Julian=

It is fine and may even be called self indulgence with an altruistic streak as long as you don,t drive your dog up the wall. 

May 31, 2010 at 11:27 AM ·

@dion wrote: "Have to play? I only play because I have a lesson next week and don"t want  to look a fool in front of my teacher who seem to have an over assessment of my ability."

Thats how it was for me the first time round.  I loved the violin but practice was a pain and lessons were something to be scared of and at best tollerate.

And thats whats so totally different now - I can not find enough time to play and I look forward to the lessons as one of the high-points of the month (as said I don't take many).  And its today WHOOPEE!!!

ee

June 2, 2010 at 02:09 AM ·

This might sound weird but i start getting jittery if my violin isn't within arm's length all the time, i take it with me EVERYWHERE. When i'm at work i keep it under my table and practice during lunch hours with a mute on :-), even if i can't play just taking it out and holding it in my hands calms me down.

June 2, 2010 at 04:16 AM ·

Call me crazy. I don't have to play, but I have to practice. If I don't have the time or energy for violin after a long day or if I'm not feeling well, what I miss the most is practice.  I don't practice a lot, maybe a little over 1 hour a day during week days and more weekends. But when I do get to have the quality time to practice. I feel productive and alive every minute of it. It's quality time with my violin for me. Playing doesn't necessarily do the same. I could be playing alone or in a group and it can be fun. But I don't get the same rewarding feeling in the end as a good practice session gives me.

June 3, 2010 at 03:27 AM ·

Every time I see a documentary/video/or hear a heart pounding piece I just want to say "I can do this! Give me an instrument, bow, and some music and let me fiddle!" I think its just our passion stirring in us!
Great topic
Corey W

June 3, 2010 at 04:39 AM ·

Same feeling here. My violin is always out and on my desk beside me, and even if I have a lot to do, I always play at least a little.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe