Gift ideas for young boy

May 15, 2010 at 06:00 PM ·

My son turns 7 next month and is a Suzuki book 2 student, He's been studying for almost 2 years.  He has a concert coming up, and I am also thinking ahead to his birthday and the December holidays.  My google searches netted me lots of jewelry (charms, necklaces), sheet music, tote bags.  He doesn't need any of this stuff.   What are some nice violin or music related gifts suitable for a boy his age?  He truly enjoys playing and is proud of himself for being a book 2 student!.  Don't need rosin or metronome, either  : -D

Replies (22)

May 15, 2010 at 06:11 PM ·

Hi, just a few ideas...

An electronic or real piano if you don't have one already!  Does he have a favorite player that he would like cds of?  Bring him to a fun recital or concert with some music he likes (there are sometimes symphony concerts for kids where you can meet musicians (this is always great momories!), longer lesson time.  Buy him scores of his favorite music (if it's playable), or perhaps a good musical moovie (educative or just a movie for fun)

Well, just ideas.

Good luck!

Anne-Marie 

May 15, 2010 at 06:41 PM ·

I think the idea of a ticket to a violin related event would be seriously cool for the youngster.  Perhaps particularly so if it is a male soloist (easier for a lad of that age to relate to than a glamorous female?)  

It would be something he can really look forward to, maybe listen to the music in advance etc, you can print out a cool invite on your computer to give him on his actual birthday:  X is specially invited to attend a violin concert at Y Concert Hall on Tuesday 15th June. 

If it is a well known violinist who would normally sign CDs/autographs after the show, then perhaps add that in as well.  Or ask the promoter/orchestra if the artist would be willing to sign a CD for a keen young violinist, they'd have to have a heart of stone to say no...

I'd probably go for the concerto type concert as then you could always leave in the interval if his attention span wouldn't stretch to the rest of the programme, but it would still be a great night out for him and sure to inspire lots of extra practising when he gets home!

(One of my BEST EVER birthday presents was going up to London in the train to hear Yehudi Menuhin play Beethoven's violin concerto and Romance in F at the Royal Albert Hall.  My parents bought really brilliant seats in a box sort of overlooking the stage from the right hand side of the platform, so I had a fantastic view of him playing and I remember raving about the occasion and doing loads more practice for months after!)

May 15, 2010 at 07:04 PM ·

I recommend any story in this audio series:  http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Lives-Upstairs-Barbara-Nichol/dp/B00000212L/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1273950134&sr=8-1

Scroll down to see the other stories available.  I listened to them when I was about 7.  I'm now a Suzuki teacher and all the students I recommend them to have loved these stories.

May 15, 2010 at 10:22 PM ·

Beethoven lives upstairs is so sad at the end. I cry every time. Great story and music. 

May 16, 2010 at 12:04 AM ·

My parents bought me a new case and a ticket to go see Lulu at the Metropolitan Opera (which I would not recommend for anybody below the age of 16), but I'm turning 17, so that's different.

May 16, 2010 at 05:07 PM ·

Hi may I ask who is Lulu??? Lady Gaga???  Seriously, I don't know who is Lulu.  Do you think it lacks to my culture?  ; )     

Good show!

Anne-Marie

May 16, 2010 at 11:06 PM ·

Hi Anne!

Lulu is an Alban Berg opera - very modern sounding and quite dissonant.  It isn't particularly well known, so don't feel bad for missing the reference.

For Brian - I thoroughly enjoyed Lulu, and I hope you do too.

When I was young (but not a boy), I loved getting experiences that I could share with my parents and/or my friends.  A performance is a great suggestion if it is possible - and it can be quite inspiring too.   

Amy

May 16, 2010 at 11:20 PM ·

I am surprised no one has mentionned Peter and The Wolf by Serge Prokoviev... It is more accessible than Lulu for a seven years old... Or "The Magic Flute by Mozart... A wonderful film on DVD with English translations has been made by Bergman. You can buy the movie Amadeus; it is very touching and children love it....Or la Symphonie des jouets (Toys Symphonie by Haydn...)OH! God, I am remembering my childhood now... Lulu is great, and the violin concerto sublime!!!

May 17, 2010 at 12:12 AM ·

Thanks for the info, we learn things everyday!  

Anne-Marie

Yes I loved so much the Amadeus moovie!  Mozart was like a kid... with extraordinairy gifts!

May 17, 2010 at 12:41 AM ·

Don't forget about Bach's Fight for Freedom! Another charming movie.

May 17, 2010 at 12:54 AM ·

Amadeus is a really great movie, even if it's not straight biography.  The Director's Cut is R-rated for a reason, and might not be the best thing for a seven year old.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a Fritz Kreisler action figure...

EDIT:  Come to think of it, Lulu probably isn't the best choice for a seven year old either. 

Maybe a CD or two would be nice.  Kids that age tend to like the zippy pieces, so maybe some Vivaldi and/or Bach violin concertos.

May 17, 2010 at 02:14 AM ·

Hello, 

I don't think anyone was actually suggesting Lulu for a 7 year old, just that Brian got tickets for his 17th birthday, which is a good gift for him : -)  

But the movies reminded me of something I saw and loved when I was young, which was Fantasia. Maybe its dated, or not as interesting to kids now (I haven't seen it in a very long time) but I remember being transfixed by the animation and the classical music.  I know its available as a video, though seeing it on the big screen was pretty amazing.  In my book, it is definitely a classic.

Amy

May 17, 2010 at 03:14 AM ·

I don't know where you're at, but you may be able to take him to the symphony, opera, ballet or musical production and get a back-stage pass or arrange for him to meet some of the musicians.  Your local community orchestra would probably be quite accomodating in letting him go "behind the scenes".

May 18, 2010 at 06:21 PM ·

Ideas that have lasted:

Nice stand that he can fold up with clip on light. (Not to cheap).

MP3 with gift card to download classical music or other music he wants to play.

A good microphone so he can record himself and listen to is own playing. Record his current song and then record it again in 6 months to a year. Save as MP3 so he can collect on MP3 list.

May 18, 2010 at 10:20 PM ·

How about a gel chinrest pad?  Comfort while playing.  Would love to try one myself.  A music  store giftcard to inspire him.

May 20, 2010 at 09:25 PM ·

A humidifier? And a recording of Eugène Ysaÿe's violin sonatas?

http://www.amazon.com/Ysa%C3%BFe-Violin-Sonatas-Eugene-Ysaye/dp/B0000ZKRTY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1274390596&sr=8-1

May 21, 2010 at 12:09 AM ·

Here's a thought.

How about a music case for his sheet music? One with a harder cover. Then, when he completes some major milestone, create custom stickers (anything from standard labels you can get at the office supply store) to celebrate the achievement. He can stick them to the music case. If you make the case big enough, or the labels small enough, it will soon start looking like a travelling trunk, with stickers of all the destination.

Another option is a fiberglass violin case, and use that for the stickers.

May 21, 2010 at 12:10 PM ·

When I was a young violinist I received so many dorky orchy gifts from friends and family.  I got pencils with musical notes on them, erasers shaped like treble clefs, pins and necklaces shaped like 8th notes, notepads with staves.... I must have at least a dozen miniature decorative violins.  I appreciate the thought, but I hated these gifts.  They are useless.

My favorite gifts were always CD's (audio cassettes actually lol).  It's how I came to know music by great composers.  I had to throw away all those cassettes but be sure that I did replace them with the CD versions. 

May 25, 2010 at 05:29 PM ·

Get him a Nice, Big Music Folder to put his books and Sheet Music in. One of those folder with different parts would be nice to be more organized, and get some stickers or things to put on it.

And, if you think he needs anything like shoulder rests, new strings etc. I'm sure he'll be pleased if you will get him it.

_ Andrew

May 25, 2010 at 09:49 PM ·

A bit more on the expense side, but how about a Suzuki Summer Institute?

May 25, 2010 at 11:26 PM ·

I like the electronic piano idea.

I'm 24 now and kicking myself for not having taken piano seriously. That might have been different if I'd had an electronic piano instead of an acoustic one.

The 7 year old in me tells me that electronic pianos are more awesome than acoustic pianos because you can hook one up to a computer. I'm sure the pedagogical value is the same so long as his goal isn't to become an accomplished pianist.

May 26, 2010 at 09:27 AM ·

Having a second music stand has been nice. I bought a new, quality one that I play off and the older one holds all the other books and music.

A music stand light.

If he is 7, i bet it will be time for a new instrument soon. (Along with shoes, clothes... HaHa)

How about a digital recorder.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe