Fashion in cases and case covers

April 28, 2010 at 06:34 PM ·

Interesting how cases and case covers become fashionable among players.  For as long as I can remember it was cool to have an oblong case with a Cushy or Cushy-style black case cover;  most serious players had such a combination and you can access photographs of Hillary Hahn, among others, who use this combination. 

But I fell in love with the smaller, fitted GEWA case and feel that it's easier to carry.  I want to find a case cover, however, and at SHAR the Cushy case cover in the fitted case is out of stock.  Quinn has a couple of fitted options, the Mooradian and the Altieri:

http://www.quinnviolins.com/qv_casecovers.shtml

I think I'm going to be working for several years in some very cold weather.  I like the Mooradian but is anyone familiar with the Altieri?  I'd never heard of them until I googled over to Quinn's page, looking for a fitted Cushy...

TIA

Replies (11)

April 28, 2010 at 07:09 PM ·

I decided that I did not want a violin case that announces that there is a violin in it. I was not really concerned about theft, but it's more of a self-consciousness thing  - shaped violin cases remind me of the cheap student violin that I played when I was little (had 1.5 months of lessons). I also did not want an oblong case because it's bulky.

I absolutely love my purple Bobelock Puffy half-moon violin case!  It's stylish! It has a padded & insulated washable nylon cover that's perfect for the Northwest rainy weather. It's not expensive and is very sturdy and provides enough protection for the violin (if it's not run over by a car) - during a recent flight, a flight attendant assured me that my violin case would stay where it was when she rearranged the overhead bin and had my case sitting precariously on other luggage. I heard a big bang after the plane took off and knew it was my violin. When I opened the bin, my case fell out (I anticipated it so my arms were there). I inspected the violin and it was not even out-of-tune.  I highly recommend it!

April 28, 2010 at 11:03 PM ·

I love those Bobelock puffy cases, too;  I sell them, actually, and I have one that we got to photograph, on sale, a pink one.  But they're heavy.  You'd think they'd be frou-frou, but they're very solid.  And too heavy for me to carry around. 

April 28, 2010 at 11:27 PM ·

April 29, 2010 at 01:00 AM ·

Thanks, Brian.  And looks like they have a conductor's bag, too, which solves another one of my concerns:

https://www.altieribags.com/secure/misc_orderform.html

April 29, 2010 at 10:38 PM ·

April 29, 2010 at 10:45 PM ·

Yeah, that conductor's bag is really a find, I suspect.  I just posted on here not too long ago a request for such a bag.  Numerous people tried to help me but they linked to bags which I already had. 

May 9, 2010 at 05:11 PM ·

I have tried Altieri, but i really prefer the ones made by Cavallaro/Colorado Case Company.  The plush interier and durable outter shell last forever.  Plus the cost for a custom fit is negligible.  I recently notice that they also sell conductors bags which look really really cool.

www.coloradocase.com

May 10, 2010 at 10:32 PM ·

May 11, 2010 at 12:33 AM ·

I like this retro case, it's violin shaped, made of fiberglass and it's powder blue. I always carry my music in my music bag,the thing is nearly 30lbs by now.

February 5, 2012 at 06:13 PM · Having to sell an exceptionally fashionable Musafia Luxury Ultralight for financial reasons:

http://www.violinist.com/discussion/response.cfm?ID=21838

Pacific blue with stunning intricacy and great protection. Let me know if you're interested. Thanks

February 5, 2012 at 08:54 PM · There are case covers at SWstrings.com

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe