New version of the Strings Passione Solo for violin

April 21, 2010 at 05:42 PM ·

I just stumbled upon the news that Pirastro created another version of the Passione. Pirastro says:  "Now the Passione Solo for violin adds another way to express musical ideas. The range of dynamics has been extended so that a soloist tone with a radiant overtone spectrum is available. This focus allows musicians an effortless presence in the orchestra and the solo violin develops a noble projection within the orchestra" http://www.pirastro.com/fsnews2010.html

I love the original version and i'm looking forward hearing anyone's feedback.

Replies (35)

April 21, 2010 at 09:51 PM ·

I just received my trial set in the mail today! I currently have a relatively fresh steel/gut mix (Gold label E, Helicore (weich) A, Oliv D and G (stiff) on my instrument. The Helicore has been on for about four months, the Olivs for about three months, and the Gold Label for about two weeks, so I don't know whether I should put on the Passione Solo strings yet. I have high expectations, however!

April 21, 2010 at 11:34 PM ·

How did you get a trial set?

April 22, 2010 at 04:08 AM ·

Email Pirastro, they're very generous to potential buyers.

I decided to just go ahead and put the strings on. They're absolutely sublime (though they're taking some time to settle in, I only put them on a few hours ago). They feel rather thick under the fingers, and the E string is rather weak and tends to squeal a lot, so I may change back to a Gold Label E.

So far, I'd say that Passione Solo is to Passione as Oliv "Stiff" is to Oliv. They're quite wonderful. I've never used a gut A string before, however, so this is going to take some getting used to now that I've gotten used to the quick response of a steel A string.

I'll report back when they're fully stretched, say in a few more days or so.

April 22, 2010 at 03:32 PM ·

info@pirastro.com?

April 22, 2010 at 11:45 PM ·

I just used up my first Pirastro trial set on Tonica's. I wonder if anyone knows how many trial sets they are willing to send? Although I don't want to abuse their generosity. On the other hand, if they're willing to send 'em, I'm willing to try 'em.

I sent them an email, they emailed back saying they will be sent by mail, haven't got them yet.

Has anyone got more than one set from them?

April 30, 2010 at 04:47 PM ·

I put a set of the new Passionne Solo less than 48 hours ago.

The first thing i noticed is that they stretched close to their final lenght and thus they stay in tune much longer. Unlike as i recall with the original version, I could practice without constantly retuning.

I'll need some more time with them to confirm, but they sound more brillant and more responsive.

April 30, 2010 at 06:27 PM ·

I emailed them a week ago (at the info address) and haven't even rec'd a reply, to say nothing of a string. Is there a viable contact email address?

April 30, 2010 at 10:30 PM ·

That's the one I used. It takes them ages to reply, it took them two weeks to send me a reply to my email saying yes, that they would send me a set of Passione Solos, and what might my address be? I replied promptly, and they sent a confirmation email a week later, and I received my strings a few days after that.

May 1, 2010 at 02:27 PM ·

I also emailed them and have not received a reply yet.

May 1, 2010 at 02:33 PM ·

You can also try sales@pirastro.com.

May 1, 2010 at 03:54 PM ·

I emailed them on April 9, got a reply April 13, but haven't seen any strings yet.

sales@pirastro.com was the address they replied from.

May 1, 2010 at 04:32 PM ·

I sent them an email and got a set of passione solo and they are wonderful strings. They sound richer and bolder than the original passione. They have taken about a week to stabilise. 

May 1, 2010 at 04:47 PM ·

>"The string’s texture lays smooth to the touch of the finger, like fine wine; yet full-bodied and rich in variety, including pizzicato, staccato or whatever technical detail you perform. Passione Solo strings are strong as steel yet soft as velvet. As to bow usage, acceleration is effortless without a trace of roughness; tone production remains firm and altogether supple with left and right hand coordination."

Dang. Sounds so good I want to buy it and pop it into my mouth. ; )

May 2, 2010 at 08:06 AM ·

Where does it say that it´s a new version of the Passione? I think  they are just the same ones...

May 2, 2010 at 04:04 PM ·

<< The introduction of the violin string set Passione underlines our conviction that young violinists enthusiastically taken up our patented modern violin gut-core string set. The feedback about Passione emphasizes its tuning stability, its effortless response and its quick playability. Violinists have also confirmed the complexity of sound and wide range of colors.

Now the Passione Solo for violin adds another way to express musical ideas. The range of dynamics has been extended so that a soloist tone with a radiant overtone spectrum is available. This focus allows musicians an effortless presence in the orchestra and the solo violin develops a noble projection within the orchestra (e.g. violin concerts of Brahms, Tschaikowsky, Sibelius, Bartók or Alban Berg).>>

Sounds to me like the above description is referring to 2 different strings: Passione and Passione Solo.

May 2, 2010 at 09:23 PM ·

You are right, I checked the set they sent me and it says "solo".

Has anyone who uses the old ones tried the new set?  How do they compare?

May 2, 2010 at 10:56 PM ·

When I requested samples, they didn't reply to my email. They just went ahead and sent the strings to me which arrived yesterday. 

May 2, 2010 at 11:12 PM ·

David - what was the turnaround time (just curious)?  Please keep us posted on your experience with the solos.

ab

May 3, 2010 at 06:59 PM ·

No one replied to my email either, unless you want to consider the set of strings that arrived in today's mail a reply.

Thanks to Pirastro, and to the posters here who suggested making contact with the company.

May 3, 2010 at 07:09 PM ·

I JUST GOT MY COMPLEMENTRY STRINGS IN THE MAIL!!!!! Sipping 1800 White Tequila (Cinco de Mayo en dos dias!)  I AM SO, SO, HAPPY!!!!!! Viva Fiesta!!!!!

May 3, 2010 at 07:59 PM ·

Comparing with Regular Passione:

Louder.

Cooler.

More focused but forgiving.

Not as complex as the regulars, but nice hints of overtones.

Solid classic violin sound, balances the woodiness of a violin with a truer, purer sound with just enough hint of woodiness that rounds the timbre out!

Not Bad!!! My violin tends to be dark chocolate, very warm sounding. This makes it stand out as a solo instrument without sacrificing a well rounded violin tembre..... Nice texture with a blue-flame color! Cool but hot!

Stabilizes like synthetic strings.... if you are a fan of Dominants or Visions you will love these!!!! Has the projection and of Larsen's, with the quality sound of real gut of Passions tempered with the balance of Visions/Dominants.

Sensitivity & Responce (especially Responce) are out standing!!!!!!

May 3, 2010 at 09:35 PM ·

I have also recieved my free strings. Heven't tryed them on yet.

May 4, 2010 at 01:23 AM ·

They were amazing for a week or so, but all the sweet overtones and "gut" sound quickly died away and it just became really hard to play.

These strings feel really thick under the finger, I prefer the lighter feel of Oliv or Dominant.

I took them off today and put back on my old synthetic/steel combo - Evah Pirazzi G and D, Spirocore A, Jargar E.

May 4, 2010 at 03:46 AM ·

My Solos arrived today as well! I have used both medium and heavy Passiones and am looking forward to comparing the medium Solos. But it will be hard to top the heavy gauge Olives I'm currently using (with plain gut A, of course). ;)

Impressive customer service, I must say!

May 7, 2010 at 12:07 AM ·

The passiones are great! I had been using dominants and also had a new pack of evah pirazzis and I tried all three. Results: dominants are neutral (of course) the evah pirazzis had a more powerful sound then even the passione solos but the color and clearity was even worse then the dominants. The passione exceeded everything vs the dominants. Now to see if these strings will last...

May 13, 2010 at 12:04 AM ·

I've been using the regular Passiones for about two months now, and just this evening put on the sample Solo set.  Some of it is doubtless because they're fresh, but they still sound quite fantastic.  More brilliant, but with enough richness to be reminiscent of the regular line.  We'll see if they wear out their welcome too soon.

May 13, 2010 at 01:45 AM ·

I have been using the Passiones for about 3 or 4 months and absolutely love them (for about three weeks a month, I notice that for about a week once a month the sound a bit mushy and don't play as well as the rest of the month, and for a day or two at the end of the week sound lousy, but still far better than synthetics, and after that they sound the way they usually do. Just tonight I put a set of the solos on my violin, (the bad week was starting yesterday) and I immediatly noticed that they are much better than the regulars for Bach, but are still nice for Kreisler, and great for big G string solos (openings of Ziguenerweisen and Czardas). The overtones are less quantitative, which is kinda nice since the overtones on the regulars got to be a bit much sometimes, esp when playing false harmonics (clean, focused, but still warm sound is nice) and staccato (or any Baroque music) They are very wonderful strings. I got my set from Pirastro. Has anybody seen them in stores or string-oriented websites (in USD)?

May 15, 2010 at 02:03 AM ·

Well, the Solos have come off, but have been saved for future experiments.  They were much faster to break in and their sound was noticeably  more authoritative than  the originals'.  A real "concert violin" sort of effect.  However, a lot of the "in between" dynamics weren't there and getting them to speak in piano was occasionally very difficult.     When they were right for the task they were amazing, but otherwise a little frustrating.

I did notice that when I started changing strings back, that just switching from the solo E string took a lot of the tension out of the fiddle; it sounded pretty good in its hybrid wardrobe.   Splitting the difference between the regular and Solo sets may give the best of both.   Obviously, one's choice of violin, setup, weather, and so on will all matter.

Now we'll see how many days these new regular Passiones take to not sound awful.

May 17, 2010 at 12:21 AM ·

Just what we need, another string to clutter up the dealers' websites. 

May 17, 2010 at 03:08 PM ·

I realy enjoyed them, and so did my teacher. Incredible responce, they ring and sing out on my violin! Very complex, louder than the usual Passione and a bit more focussed and unforgiving.  Moderate stability. I love how they sound when playing Vivaldi or Bach... their colours complament Baroque music rather well.

On the other hand the Infeld P.I. strings are not as complex, but even more focussed, not quite as loud, are more forgiving and the G-string is one of the best sounding for my violin so far! Their tembre is excellent for fiddling Celtic or C&W however they sound great when I play anything Baroque or Classical (just enough colour to complement those eras of music)... a decent all around genre string.  However, I think that I like the Visone strings a little more better. I definitely like the P.I. G string!  The jury is still out on the D & A... I like them, but I wont make any definite opinions until after a week or so.  The P.I. "E" string has a bit more tension than the Passione-solo  or Vision "E" string, it is unique in sound and playability (Platinum plated) I have never played an "E" string like it ever before.

The Passione-solos are an even better choice for Baroque & Classical due to the colours they produce complement the music very well. You could play along with someone playing a Baroque violin with raw gut strings and I think they would complament each other rather well!

May 17, 2010 at 03:20 PM ·

I recently tried the Passione Solo D.  It was good, but no competition for the Eudoxa D.  On my violin, the Eudoxa G & D are unequaled.  They sizzle with a rich and projecting complexity of overtones.

Eudoxa G & D, bare gut A and any one of a number of steel E strings remains as my favorite stringing.

June 9, 2010 at 09:23 AM ·

Okay now I'm seriously impressed. I didn't expect Pirastro to send free strings to Australia - but they did! I only put Passiones on my fiddle 5 weeks ago so they won't go on immediately but will be on the next time I need to change the strings. Can't wait!

July 29, 2015 at 07:58 PM · I would like to try gut strings for the first time. Do I need to change my violin setup and get a higher bridge for them, or can I just put them right on my current setup? I am using Dominant strings at the moment.

July 29, 2015 at 09:13 PM · Steve,

you do not have to do anything, it's like changing to yet another set of your regular set of strings.

You will find that the solos do need a little bit more tuning than synthetics, but the benefits far outweigh this.

Welcome to the true violin sound.

July 31, 2015 at 06:57 AM · Yes. Dominant tension is similar to that of wound gut. Unlike that of the high-octane "composites".

Edit. Well, it seems that gut-cored strings now have to "imitate" the newer synthetics in regard to tension and brilliance. I still use Obligatos as a "practical" substitute for Eudoxas..

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe