Brand New

February 24, 2010 at 06:31 AM ·

First of all, hello everyone. :)

I'm new to the site and I'm on the brink of turning 22. I've always wanted to learn the violin. When I was younger my parents couldn't afford an instrument for me, and my school offered no music program. I looked around but the nearest course was an hour away, with both parents working no one could take me.

I now have the means to buy an instrument, and the drive to finally do something I've been wanting to do as long as I can remember, so I thought now would be the time to start.

I've been researching for several days (one of the ways I found this site.) and I can find so many things on the disadvantage older beginners have. I think I'm at even more of a disadvantage because I have no musical background at all.

Since this discovery I've started learning how to read sheet music, and taking notes on things I think I need to remember. Things unrelated to the violin that I should know before playing.

Now it comes to buying a violin. I want to buy a beginners violin, but not a low quality violin. I'm going down to a couple of the top rated violin shops in Hawaii this week, so perhaps I can find a violin I like there. I was also looking at Shar's Franz Hoffmann Deluxe Etude Violin Outfit. I like the idea of buying online because my husbands in the military, and we move around every couple of years, and if I decide later I want to upgrade, then I can do that through them, with the exchange program they offer.

I was wondering if you had any tips for me in regards to begginning my study.

My husband played the violin in junior high for four years, and loved it. (Something I didn't know about him until recently.) He said he would help get me set up, and help me with the beginning stages of learning. I told him that it would be better that way, so I know that I'll stick with it before hiring a teacher. Is that good? I don't want to learn, and practise for hours if I'm doing something incorrect and will have to learn it all over anyway.

Replies (33)

February 24, 2010 at 08:09 AM ·

Hi Kristen,

I too, justed got started - did som playing in my younger years - now 40 and starting over.

My only advice against your approach to use your husband as a teacher to begin with, is that you risk to learn wrong. As you write, he has not been playing for a lot of years!? So he too could have learnt the wrong way, or just simply forgot what has been tought to him.

If you really want to learn - get yourself hooked up with a good teacher and save the time you and your husband would spend teaching you to other quality time together.

From my experience the teacher part is number 1 and the instrument 2nd in line - you could start to rent an instrument perhaps?

Just my 2 cents of thoughts

Patrik

February 24, 2010 at 11:48 AM ·

Hi, Kristen --

Welcome to Violin 101!! :)  I'm a beginner, too -- at age 60.

Perhaps it would be helpful to anyone here on Violinist.com who would want to offer you advice on choosing an instrument to know how much you're budgeting for a violin.  There are instrument prices all over the map.  I think you'll get responses from some teachers who can tell you what their students have purchased and how well it's working out.  I've heard good things about the Bellafina Model 50 from a teacher here on V.com.  Haven't tried it myself.

I can vouch for the fact that you'd probably want to avoid the Florea Recital II -- I had a rather bad experience with it (but it sounds like the price range you have in mind would leave that one in the dust).  I now have a Bellafina  Model 330, and really love it, but that model has been discontinued.  I also tried a Knilling Perfection II in the store and liked that one a lot, too.  There are so many choices -- it can be pretty overwhelming trying to make a decision.

Good luck in your violin adventure -- have lots of fun with it!

Marsha  

February 24, 2010 at 12:44 PM ·

Hi Kristen, Congratulations and best of luck! I just want to point out that it's probably not in your best interest to have you husband teach you, since it seems like he hasn't played for many years. There's a pretty good chance that you will learn the fundamentals incorrectly and thus have to re-learn and re-do everything you already thought you knew once you have a "real" teacher. This can be pretty frustrating, trust me :) Dealt with a similar thing myself way-back-when, so yeah, I definately advise you to go with a teacher right from the beginning.

February 24, 2010 at 12:47 PM ·

Well, I'm looking into a lot of teachers on the island, but it seems most of them are on the honolulu side, which will be terrible to get to once I've started working.

And I'm only getting a good vibe off of one of the teachers, and I havn't even made any appointments yet.

My price range is up to around $400 for the instrument. I'm actually considering switching to a Viola instead of the Violin, I think I like the darker sound of the Viola.

I mean, I've always wanted to play the violin, but they play very similar (right?) and I really do love the sound of the Viola. I actually love the Cello too, but my husband says they're too expensive, and doesn't want me to take it up.

I'm still tossing myself back and forth over which I would like to play, the Violin or the Viola. I realize at a later date I could pick up one or the other, once I've familiarized myself with whichever one I choose.

The money really is daunting, thinking of how much money in such a short amount of time I could spend on a hobby that might end up being nothing. I just think I would really love it, and I've always wanted to learn.

It's really overwhelming thinking of all of it.

February 24, 2010 at 02:00 PM ·

Have you tried contacting the music departments at the local universitites? University students often charge a bit less than experienced teachers, and could provide a reasonable solution until you've decided what you want long-term. I think it's important to acknowledge the fact that learning an instrument is unfortunately, in part, a monetary investment. Heck, I'm out of college almost five years now and despite working two jobs, I'm *still* living on a diet of cereal and ramen noodles because every extra cent goes into my lessons and saving for a new instrument :) But if you love it, it's totally worth it.

February 24, 2010 at 02:53 PM ·

Well I found a music school not far from where I live. It's actually about 5 minutes from where I live, and they charge $125 for four 30 minute lessons. I would prefer an hour lesson rather thirty minutes, but I suppose that would work for now, and I can ask them when I talk to them about extending the time.

We'll see, I'm going to try to go to the violin shops tomorrow, it's just hard right now because they're only open from 1pm - 5pm, and my husband is working nights, so I'm up all night and sleep all day, so I rarely wake up in time to go.

I also think I'm going to stick with the Violin, I have small hands, so I think it would be easier for me to learn, I've heard its advantigous (sp?) for someone to have long fingers and arms for the Viola since it's a larger instrument.

February 24, 2010 at 03:05 PM ·

I'm glad to hear that you have chosen to take professional instruction. A short-term, once-upon-a-time player (your husband) would not know much about diagnosing your problems or how to correct them. Frequently, this can also be a problem with current, advanced students who also decide to earn a few bucks by teaching. Different people, with different body parts, muscle tone, etc will find somewhat different ways to play successfully and a teacher needs to allow for lee way.

Although the viola is a larger instrument than a violin, there are smaller violas that are no larger than a violin. The advantage of a viola is that if you do learn to play it you will always be in demand for chamber music playing - because there just are not enough violists.

Although my viola is 16-inches long, I also have a 5-string violin (with the added C string) that can be used to play all viola and violin music. It is the size of a normal violin (14-inch body), except that the neck is a little bit thicker. I would not recommend a 5-string (having 5 strings is just too confusing), but as a viola, the lower 4 strings make for passable sound (especially for an instrument that only cost me $300).

When it comes to selecting an instrument, it is always a good idea to get your teacher orr someone who knows what they are doing involved with you in the selection process. Renting is often a good option at the beginning.

Andy

February 24, 2010 at 03:22 PM ·

A few things...

As a few others stated above, I'd have to agree about finding a teacher immediately.  Though I think it's awesome that your husband is excited for you to start, loves the violin as you do, and is willing to help, I've found that going through what can sometimes be a headache-inducing search for a real violin teacher is totally worth it.

I just picked up the violin myself a little less than a year ago.  Like you, I've always loved the violin and wanted to play so badly, but never had the means or opportunity to do so.  I'm 26 now, and last year, a friend finally convinced me to go for it and learn to play (I had told him how violin was a lost dream of mine)!  Found my instrument, and without even LOOKING for a teacher, decided I could try to teach myself, with the aid of instructional books and the internet.  There are definitely lots of resources out there for students of string instruments, but I've learned that things like this should definitely be used as supplements to lessons with a good, experienced violin teacher. 

Within a month or so, I found a teacher.  I've been with her for 9 months now, and am so much more in love with playing because I have her as my teacher.  Really, she's the only other violinist I know, other than my buddies here online of course:o)  So she's been the biggest tool in my learning...definitely, if you can, find a teacher.  Try craigslist.org or even this site!

As for 30 minute lessons.  Like you, I was sort of put off by the idea of such short weekly lessons.  I didn't think that they'd be beneficial enough, as 30 minutes to me is nothing in the spectrum of a day.  However, that's exactly what my music studio offered...nothing but 30 minute lessons,  once per  week.  Though relatively hesitant, I figured I'd try it out for a month.  After  9 months, I can honestly say that 30 minutes, though SOMETIMES I wish it could be longer simply because I love playing so much, is plenty of time to get a good lesson in.  The 30 minute time frame has definitely prevented me from receiving overloads of information from my teacher, especially during the beginning stages.  Looking back on things from here, I'm so grateful that in my first lesson, we literally only spend the time going over the parts of the violin and how to hold the instrument and the bow.  My first assignment was to spend a week practicing them correctly.  My second week's assignment and lesson was 100% about correct angles on the bow (how to hold it in order to hit each of the four strings).  That's all I practiced for a week.  And so on.  Though I about died doing the same little things for almost four weeks, learning the elementary bits, it created such a strong foundation now for me.  Plus, now that I have all the basics completely landed, it's easier for us to make the 30 minutes of my lesson  "go somewhere."  The first 10 minutes are warm-ups, or reviews from the previous week.  Then we get into whatever new theory/scale/piece my teacher wants to introduce me to.

So I can say from experience, 30 minutes is better than zero, and even better than an hour or longer.  IN MY OPINION only of course :o)

As for purchasing a violin, particularly online, I've heard great  things on a variety of discussion boards about some of the models sold through Shar, as well as Gliga instruments (found @ violinslover.com).  Though many people here can tell you it is a much riskier process getting a violin online (you can't see or hold it in person beforehand), those two online companies allow you to "test drive" the instrument with the option of an exchange if you aren't happy.  There's a lot of info in the archives of these discussion boards in reference to finding good quality, decently priced instruments that you may want to check out.

As for viola.  I agree, it sounds so beautiful, and for a time, I even wondered if I should have taken that up instead.  I think both instruments are amazing.  Cello, as well.  Though it is definitely possible to pick up one or the other or both, one  important thing to note is that music written for violin is written in the treble clef, while viola uses alto clef. 

I think it's SO exciting that you're wanting to play!!!!!!!  Make it happen, you won't regret it, I promise!!!!!  Sorry  if I rambled, but I feel like I was in  your exact shoes a year ago, so hopefully my thoughts, and everyone else's, have helped you out!

Good luck and keep everyone posted!

February 24, 2010 at 04:21 PM ·

re: Well I found a music school not far from where I live. It's actually about 5 minutes from where I live, and they charge $125 for four 30 minute lessons. I would prefer an hour lesson rather thirty minutes, but I suppose that would work for now, and I can ask them when I talk to them about extending the time.

A 30 minute lesson is plenty of time.  You should go with this plan.  I have been studying since last June and have a 30 minute lesson once a week.

I also take a Music Theory class at Blair School of Vanderbilt University.  I also happen to work at the University.  The class meets once a week for an hour.  See if you can join a class there at the music school that you are talking about.

I didn't know anything about music when I started, either.  I just turned 60 the 13th of February.  It has been a great experience.  I am finally up to the Bach Minuets in  Suzuki Book 1.  Just stick with it; you will sound horrible at first, but you will eventually have a decent sound.

You really need a teacher besides your husband.

February 24, 2010 at 08:07 PM · roland--the bach minuets in suzuki book 1 are THE BEST! wait until you get to the beethoven minuet in book 2....so much fun, i actually just started it this past monday. it's a HUGE lesson in bow control. tons of slurs.

February 24, 2010 at 09:32 PM ·

OK, I am hearing some subtexts here.  

1 You are insecure about your ability and whether you will "take" to the violin.

2 Money is a concern.  

3 Your husband wants to help.  This may well be a key feature for you both in your relationship.  

Here is my perspective.  I am a very experienced musician but a total beginner violinist, so I know a bit about how you feel.    

1 Insecurity.  Put it aside.  If you are motivated and work hard, you will be fine.  Don't pressurise yourself or expect too much.  You want to do this.  That is absolutely great.  Forget the Viola for now: violin is more accessible in terms or available repertoire, internet material and so on.  

2 Money.  I would select your teacher before you select your violin.  The teacher may well have useful contacts and advice for you.  A good teacher is money very well spent and will advance your progress hugely.  It is good to invest in this.  Talk to your teacher about what violin and bow you should get, along with your initial musical work books.  Most good teachers will be willing to have a pre-lesson chat to advise on these things.  My own teacher has been known to lend students violins when she has been unimpressed with what the have bought!

3 Husband.  Does he still play?  If he doesn't then he will not be able to teach you anything meaningful about playing.  But he is your husband and he wants and needs to be involved.  So get him to re-learn with you.  Let him show off his skills a bit.  Get him to help you learn to read the music.  Get him to teach you some elementary music theory.  I think it may be key for your relationship for him to feel involved and helpful.  Accept whatever advice he offers but basically take your cures from your teacher.  

The violin is rewarding, challenging and beautiful.  I wish you the very best as you embark on your voyage of musical discovery.  

James (from England!)

February 25, 2010 at 02:50 AM ·

You guys are really inspiring me, and keeping me on the right track.

I went to two violin shops today that (Every) teacher I've looked up online has recommended, and found a violin I absolutely love. I didn't buy it, but it's gently used, and in great condition. The man in the store played several for me. It had the most beautiful sound, and he said it would be good for me to get a used violin so it doesn't need to be broken in?

Anyway, It's a Lewis and Son Dancla. I know it's german, and he said he got this one from and old lady, and that it had been very well taken care of.

The shop I went to repair and restring all they're instruments. He played this violin so beautifully. He wants $400 for it with a horsehair bow, rosin, and a case.

I also held a Viola, just to see what it was like, and I have to say I'm more comfortable holding the Violin, so I'm definatly going with it.

The man also recommended a teacher for me, he said she and her husband are both in the symphony here on the island, and both teach Violin. I'm going to call the music school, and get thier number from the man, and call and talk to both of them, to see which I feel more comfortable with.

I can't start lessons until I start a job, which could be a couple months from now. (Hopefully not.)

February 25, 2010 at 05:12 AM ·

If you have an instrument that can get great sound for $400, it would be a good thing. That is a very fair price; possibly could be considered a bargain.

You may want to look at different bows after you get a bit of practice; the bow included with your instrument may be adequte, but there may be some opportunity for improvement. No need to make the change now, get used to what your current blw can do, and then decide later.

Don't be intimidated because you can't play the violin. Everyone that is taking lessons do so because they can't play the violin as well as they want; you're just at a different part of the spectrum that some others. In a few weeks, you'll be well ahead of those just beginning. Most important, have fun and enjoy the instrument!

February 25, 2010 at 10:30 AM ·

I am trying to convince my husband to let me buy it, and normally it would be no problem, but a part in my husband's car's transmission went out recently and the part (not the labor) cost us $400, and then we'll also have to pay for the labor for the people to put the part in. My husband normally does the work on his car, but in a transmission they highly recommend a clean room, which we don't have access to.

Anyway, I'm hoping there's some way we can get around this, and I can buy that violin. I just keep thinking about it. I thought it was perhaps because it was the first violin I had ever held in my hand, but I held several others (including one that was several hundred dollars more, and a beautiful dark color), but I can't help but to remember how beautiful that violin sounded.

Even when I went to the second shop, I just couldn't see anything that compared. I like the idea that someone else found joy playing that instrument. I tried posting another topic in instruments about the feelings people get when buying an instrument, but my browser messed up, and I'm not sure it got posted. So until then I guess I can just ask here.

What feelings do you go through when you buy a violin? Was it love at first sound like I am with the one I want?

February 25, 2010 at 05:20 PM ·

When I bought my first violin, it was not love at first sight, but it was excitement and hope. A bit of adrenaline, mixed with a feeling of freedom.
I had been renting for a few months previously, and I wanted a better violin. I found this one for sale locally, it was played previously by the 'first violin' (apparently, that high school did not call it concertmaster) at a local High School, but he graduated, and didn't continue his music. His mom was selling the violin.
It wasn't a fantastic violin, but it was a serviceable one, and it was very well set up. It sounded full and rich relative to the rental I had been using. It had some dings, the case was in poor condition, but it could produce music, not just sound.

Since then, I have purchased three other ones, since this one worked out so well. One I gave to my grandson, one I sold, and another I am selling. I will need to step up quite a bit in price to get a better sounding one than that first violin.

February 25, 2010 at 05:38 PM ·

Kristin,

I started 5 years ago as at 40.  I share an hour lesson with my now 9 year old daughter. Sometimes  I get the lion's share of the lesson, sometimes she does.  I've found that 20 min. is usually enough to get something good out of the time, unless I bring excess frustration or other baggage to the lesson.

About the small hands, I am curious about what you find if you do check out violas.  I am short, with small hands, and play a 3/4 violin, so I've been hesitant to consider even a small viola.

Best of luck.  It really is rewarding.

Ann

February 26, 2010 at 01:47 AM ·

Well Ann, the one I held, I'm really not sure of the size, but it was only a couple inches longer than the Violin, the problem I had with the Viola was that the neck was a bit thicker, and therefore made me feel a bit ackward holding it with smaller hands. I have long arms for my size (infact it's hard for me to find long sleeve shirts or coats that fit right.) But small hands, and I feel as a beginner to it, that learning on the Violin and becoming comfortable holding and playing it, I might then decide to take of the Viola aswell.

The weight really wasn't a big difference, I'm sure if you held it for quite some time that it would show itself, but all in all, there isn't a huge difference when deciding between the two. The store owner (who was the man I was talking to) was in the symphony orchestra here for a long time, and I am pretty sure is a luthier as well. They do all their own repairs and such at the shop, anyway, he helped me place the viola in the correct position (up high on my collar bone) and watched me hold it, he suggested that it would indeed be easier for me to learn the violin first. I asked him if he played both and he said yes.

I convinced my husband to go look at the violin I like with me on Saturday, but if we don't get it then, he said when we get our taxes back we'll definatly get one then.

February 27, 2010 at 03:51 PM ·

So glad to hear of the progress you're making - it all sounds great! And at that shop that holds the great $400 violin - do they have rentals? A lot of shops will apply 100% of your rental costs to the purchase of a violin if you do it within 3 - 6 months. That way you're paying $20 a month right now, you get to listen to other violins during this time (try testing whatever else they have, and I would not rule out new violins - they can sound just as sweet, and the 'breaking in' period can be very very minor and affect the sound for the better besides), and you can apply the rental $$ to the final purchase.

Glad you're considering the teacher option - this really is a big, important one. And I agree that 30 minutes can be quite effective. I had to drop to 30 from 45 a year and a half ago due to financial constraints, and now that they're easing, I'm thinking, why go back? We chit-chatted more when it was a 45 minute lesson, which was fun, but now we're very focused, and time is money to me (well, I guess time is money - literally - to both of us here).

February 27, 2010 at 06:13 PM ·

Hi, Kristen.  I want to second Terez's suggestion about renting.  I have been renting my violin since I started lessons last June for $25 per month; the shop also has violins that rent for $15 and $20 per month.  If I buy my instrument this June, they will apply the $300 to the purchase price of $650.  I haven't yet decided if I will keep this instrument or try to upgrade.  My teacher thinks that it is pretty good quality and that I don't need to upgrade.

I would also like to say, "Don't be intimidated!"  I spent several years walking by the violins shop before I gathered the courage to actually go in.  I am so glad that I made that decision!  It hasn't been easy, but the experiences that I have had this past eight months are priceless.

Find a good teacher and always listen to what the teacher has to say, even if it goes contrary to what you might think.  Since I am learning the Bach Minuets now, I am having to apply some of the things that my teacher tried to beat into my head a few months ago, but that didn't sink in; if I don't, I won't be able to advance.

February 28, 2010 at 02:03 AM ·

Well after the tsunami warning was cancelled here on Oahu I went home, dropped off my dog, and then my husband and I went to the violin shop. The man played the violin again for me, and then showed us another one he had made that was $500. They were both beautiful, but we went ahead and went with the $400 fifty year old violin.

He also gave me a bow he said was worth $100, with wood and horsehair, and a block of dark rosin, and a book called Essential Elements for Strings by Michael Allen, Robert Gillespie, and Pamela Tellejohn Hayes. It includes a dvd, and a cd.

He also gave me the name of the second chair in the Honolulu Symphony Orchestra that teaches near where I live and told me to give her a call, that he thought we would get along well. She and he husband both play in the orchestra, but he plays a different instrument.

Here's a picture, with the case and all, the man also offers 100% on upgrades, if I want to get a better violin later.

February 28, 2010 at 03:21 PM ·

Congrats on the new purchase! A very exciting one.

Wishing you good luck in the learning to come, and the teacher lead you got sounds great. Hope that works out equally well.

February 28, 2010 at 04:40 PM ·

That looks great, Kristen!  Good luck to you.

February 28, 2010 at 06:54 PM ·

Here is twist to your search, you say " I want to play violin BUT like the dark side of the viola " How about the best of both worlds get a 5 string accoustic violin has the extra string that gives the viola soung.  Just a thought from an adult beginner that has invested 100's in violins in the past 6 months

March 1, 2010 at 12:07 AM ·

what a beautiful violin !  Congratulations !  You're on the same journey as I, only I'm 45 and waited years to jump on the train.  Aside from motherhood, taking up the violin again is the best decision I've ever made. 

I bet that little gem sounds lovely !!

xxx Roxie

March 1, 2010 at 02:41 AM ·

Darn!  Missed my chance to bring another violist into the world!  Have fun on your new adventure!!!

March 1, 2010 at 03:43 AM ·

Lol I'm still interested in picking up the viola I'm just going to wait a couple years, and see how I do on the violin first. ;)

March 1, 2010 at 04:00 AM ·

Congratulations! I hope you find the right instrument and the right teacher in your area. As an adult beginner myself, I'd like to encourage you to not focus on the 'disadvantages' of starting as an adult. That can quickly become demoralizing and take some of the enjoyment out of playing.

Things just happen as they do, but what's important is that it makes you HAPPY. A lot of us adult beginners may never play professionally, but the satisfaction of playing an instrument we love is huge. So good luck and I hope you have a wonderful time! 

March 1, 2010 at 04:47 AM ·

Congratulations on your new violin!
I think you made a wonderful purchase. Don't worry about starting too late; I was over 50 when I started, and although I wished I would progress faster than I do, I measure the value by the enjoyment I get out of the instrument. 
My only regret is that I did not start playing earlier.

Once you get a handful or a dozen lessons behind you, you may want to stop back by the music shop, and try your instrument with a few different bows. You may find one that lets you bring more out of the violin. I would not do this too early, as your playing will not developed as a reflex before then.
You do not need to buy the bow (at that time, at least), but it will give you an appreciation of the difference a bow can make. The violin is 85% of the music, the bow is 50%, and the violinist is 80%. Don't ask me how it works, it just does. (big grin here). Music is not math, it has more soul and a heart!

March 1, 2010 at 05:41 AM ·

Yes I've been reading about the difference a good bow can make, but on account of I still know almost nothing about playing I'm happy with what I have for now, and perhaps in a year or two I'll re-evaluate my situation. I've decided that before I leave the island I want to buy a violin made my the luthier I bought this violin from, as a sentimental sort of thing, his violins are beatiful and you can see his pride when he shows them, I'm hoping to get a better violin in the process, but I'm not going to worry about that for a while.

I'm learning to play for the enjoyment, and for myself only, I don't plan on playing infront of a lot of people, and certainly not professionally. I just want to be good enough to play the songs I enjoy listening to by reading the music. But if I fall in love with it, which I hope I do, I want this to be a never ending learning process for me, where I can learn for the rest of my life, and share the passion with my children (when I have them.)

March 3, 2010 at 03:48 AM ·

Another congrats on getting a violin. I hope you enjoy it!

March 3, 2010 at 09:23 AM ·

Hi Kristen,

my name is Jo and I live near London UK.

I just wanted to say to you:

22 is NOT old to start violin, I started at 37 with NO prior musical knowledge, I am now 40 and am taking my ABRSM grade 5 exam next week!!! and I WILL PASS with good marks, I am 'that ready' for it, I KNOW! :)

I am really excited for you, unlike you I never had the dream of learning violin until 6 months before I actually took it up! But you have been dreaming about if for years and now your dream has come true! it's so lovely :)

Have fun fun fun

best wishes from UK :)

March 4, 2010 at 05:10 AM ·

Kristen,

You mention waiting a year or two before you look at other bows; I think you are seeing it differently than I am.
Now that you have a violin, you are an official music customer. You will be needing strings (which you will likely find more inexpensive on line), tuner, rosin, music stand, etc. You will probably be a continued customer for that music shop. It should not be inappropriate to stop by after you have a bit of practice just to see how a different bow makes a difference; you do not need to plan on purchasing one at the time. There may be some bows that are available for such evaluations, and there may be some bows the proprietor will prefer to not use for such purpose.
Will this be where you will take the violin for any repair or maintenance? Stopping by from time to time to see what they have and to chat is not necessarily a bad thing.

Short version, you may decide to wait a year or so to buy a bow, but you can also test drive a few different ones earlier. I did that, and one of the results is that I have two bows I like, depending on my mood or the music; one Carbon Fiber, one Pernambuco.

March 4, 2010 at 10:38 AM ·

I think you're right. I do want to go back to him, and he is where I would be taking my violin for repairs, and the like.

I will hopefully get to start my lessons in two weeks, when we get our taxes back, I'm sure a whole new world will be opened up for me.

Thank you for mentioning this to me, it probably would be a good idea to go back several times to look at different bows. What are carbon fiber bows like?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe