A good car for violinists?

February 17, 2010 at 07:15 AM ·

I'm wondering if any of you has a car that really works out well for your musical activities. My 1997 Honda CRV has been a trouper for going to gigs; we've put a harp, violin, cello and sound system, plus three musicians into it. I have used the included picnic table to sell CDs, and the four-wheel drive has been nice on a couple of remote location gigs. The black color seems appropriate for showing up to formal events.

It doesn't have a lot of kick, so we kind of putt up hills, and the AC is marginal, but all-in-all it's been good.

Replies (39)

February 17, 2010 at 10:10 AM ·

well, I have a "Cash for Clunkers" 2009 Ford Focus...the violin case takes up the entire back seat

February 17, 2010 at 12:22 PM ·

99 Subaru Legacy Wagon.  Can haul 2 school basses.  Good in the snow (don't need that so much anymore).  201,000 miles and counting. 

February 17, 2010 at 01:29 PM ·

1997 Ford Taurus wagon with about 135,000 miles on it. I don't actually like it at all, but it has been pretty dependable and readily accommodates various combinations of me, my cellist friend, her Newfoundland dog, our instruments, a keyboard, keyboard stand, and keyboard amp, music stands, a patio umbrella (portable shade for sunny gigs), etc. etc. So it's quite practical. Only real gripes are low ground clearance (bumpy dirt roads are prevalent where I live, and I've ripped three exhaust systems off the thing), crummy gas mileage (about 19 mpg), and a heater that is slow to start working.

February 17, 2010 at 05:23 PM ·

1987 Chrysler New Yorker.  Currently only 53,265 original miles.  Belong to an elderly fellow and when he could nolonger drive, it went into storage for a while.  Violin fits quite well!  when I bought it 2 years ago it had 42,595 original miles.

February 17, 2010 at 05:56 PM ·

2000 citroen xsara- can cope with five people, violin, cello, plus schoolbags. it's a hardy old rustbucket.

February 17, 2010 at 08:39 PM ·

I've got a Lexus IS350 from 2006...very fast but not much room in the back seat for a double violin case and the dog crate.  His coat is faux fur, don't throw ink at him!!

February 17, 2010 at 09:05 PM ·

Have a 2005 Subaru Outback Wagon. I can haul an entire string quartet + equipment for a gig, once transported three double basses when an equipment truck broke down, and have made the drive from SoCal to Colorado with five people, six instruments, luggage and camping gear that weighed the whole thing down so much the suspension dropped about 3 inches. :P

February 17, 2010 at 11:35 PM ·

I ride a bus. It fits everything in it.

February 18, 2010 at 01:19 AM ·

Johnathan!  I love the photo!!!!

February 18, 2010 at 01:27 AM ·

Subaru's seem popular.  Got one also, 2006 Outback.  Plenty of room for an entire quartet/quintet (people & gear). 

February 18, 2010 at 01:32 AM ·

Awww Jonathan - what a sweet dog.   I just want to pick him up and hug him!  

February 18, 2010 at 02:35 AM ·

hehe, that's Jack and he looooves hugs!  Loves to chase the cat too ;-)

February 18, 2010 at 03:06 AM ·

I drive a MINI cooper S hardtop.  I love my car.  It fits everything I do and has fantastic gas mileage.  The trunk comfortably holds a violin and viola.  With the two back seats folded down, it can fit a cello and then some.  It's also more than capable of hauling several golf club bags =)  If yours is the designated "hauling" vehicle, I would recommend the slightly longer Clubman.

February 18, 2010 at 04:51 AM ·

I drive a scooter instead of a car. I don't trust myself with the violin on my back though. I take the train to my lessons. :) One of the handy parts about living in inner Sydney - public transport.

February 18, 2010 at 05:48 AM ·

Thank you for sharing the doggie picture, Jonathan. I like the dashing striped legs...

February 18, 2010 at 02:26 PM ·

If there's one car a violinist should drive, it's the Fritz Chrysler. You might also consider a Hummer or an Audio.

February 18, 2010 at 03:16 PM ·

"If there's one car a violinist should drive, it's the Fritz Chrysler"

February 18, 2010 at 03:28 PM ·

16 years ago we used my '93 Mercury Villager minivan to get our piano trio - including a Yamaha Clavinova to piano-less venues. I still have the minivan - works great. (And I since bought my own Clavinova, which I've hauled in the van a few times.) It's a good cello-hauling car, in fact I can use it to haul 7 full-size humans AND a cased cello and a few violins - just have to be careful when opening the sliding door.

You wouldn't think an electric piano could do a fair job of both Mendelssohn trios as well as some Brahms and Mozart - but it did. Even after our rehearsals had been elsewhere with a 9-foot Steinway.

Andy

February 18, 2010 at 08:04 PM ·

VW Golf - definitely!  Carries 2 violins, a cello, sometimes a viola, sometimes dogs, oh...and people too!  An oversized, over stuffed and absolutely necessary purse/catchall bag, my daughter has lovingly named 'Gusto', fits nicely too.

(My old Golf easily packed a Great Dane (felt a little silly going through the Tim Horton's Drive Thru though), and for one trip my mothers 8 person teak dining table).

February 18, 2010 at 11:07 PM ·

Heather,

Is that the Variant model?

Sander,

Nice!

February 19, 2010 at 12:41 AM ·

I have a Mitsubishi Mirage. It's not a cargo vehicle by any means, but it works really well for me. I play bass guitar as well as violin, so when I have bass gigs I can fit my entire rig in the trunk (amplifier plus speaker cabinets) and then in the back seat goes my bass and there's still room for two people.

I once fit a string quartet in my car. The cello was in a soft case and it fit in the trunk. We also put the violins back there. I think the violist had to carry his instrument on his lap, so it was kind of a tight fit, but  we made it happen. The gas mileage is good, too.

However, the cellist in our quartet drives a Mazda 3 station wagon, and that is the car we usually take to gigs. He says he bought it with the quartet in mind, and I think it's perfect for that purpose. It's got a good sound system too so we can listen to Emerson or Guarneri and get inspired on our way to the gig :-)

February 19, 2010 at 01:03 AM ·

Hi Anne - that would be a bit more sensible wouldn't it, but no it's just a regular hatch sized Golf.  The cello in the hard case definitely takes up a bit of room, but so far so good.  Manuel, couldn't imagine a string quartet (people AND instruments)...could this be my next small car challenge:)?

February 19, 2010 at 06:12 AM ·

I have an older Dodge caravan. It is perfect for anything I want to throw in it, including instruments, dogs, grandkids, etc. It has a DVD player for the back seat crowd, although the dogs like to look out the window.

February 20, 2010 at 12:56 AM ·

I have a 1999 Honda Civic Hatchback -- not a speck of rust on it (and it's parked outside 24/7/365), and it has a really great heater.  It warms quickly, so I don't have to spend much time in the driveway waiting for it to warm up before I dash back into the house to grab my violin.

February 20, 2010 at 01:55 PM ·

I take my violin in a Rav 4 and it's perfect. I put the case on the floor between the seats and push the front seat back until it holds the case nice and snug, then it can't flop around if I hit anything rough.

February 20, 2010 at 03:36 PM ·

another good choice would be the Maybach

February 20, 2010 at 05:07 PM ·

You do realise that I now have to get vanity plates that say, "Fritz"!!!!!

February 20, 2010 at 05:35 PM ·

February 20, 2010 at 06:27 PM ·

Wow, Sam!

That Maybach is a nice-looking car.

Isn't there also a company called BWV? Oh yeah, it's BMW.

February 20, 2010 at 07:48 PM ·

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! Sam! I Love It!!!!!

June 19, 2010 at 09:26 AM ·

i WILL HAVE TO POST PICTURE OF MY CARS :)

June 19, 2010 at 09:27 AM ·

;)

June 19, 2010 at 04:43 PM ·

My Mini is perfect - I asked my violin and he gave it his personal approval (see do you love your violin topic :) ).  He fits perfectly in the boot(trunk) - but thats about all you can get in there - unless, that is, you put the seats down in which case you can probably fit a small orchestra in there.

June 19, 2010 at 07:25 PM ·

Love the dog picture too!  For myself, a St-Bernard must fit in the car when I'll have a dog!  So a car where the St-Bernard won't step on my violin...

Anne-Marie

June 19, 2010 at 07:28 PM ·

St-Bernard - Nice lap dog!

June 19, 2010 at 08:16 PM ·

"St-Bernard - Nice lap dog!"

Nope its Swiss...

:)

June 19, 2010 at 08:47 PM ·

But I wouldn't force the poor thing to carry alchohol around his neck!   Pehaps I would have to carry dog food around my neck though to feed it!   ; )

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Europe/Switzerland/West/Valais/Zermatt/photo653751.htm

http://images02.olx.in/ui/2/09/83/25500683_1.jpg

August 9, 2010 at 08:14 PM ·

I love my car: Mercedes Benz SLK - there's just enough space in this two seater for me and my violin. I highly recommend it to all violinists. ;)

August 9, 2010 at 09:02 PM ·

I drive 50mi home to my apartment after my lessons, and it gets over 30mpg, so I'm happier than I might be.  :-)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe