Pets & Violinists.

February 12, 2010 at 08:09 PM ·

Do you own any pets (or perhaps they own you!)?  If so what are they?  What is the most common pet that violinists own (other than their violins!)?

Replies (31)

February 12, 2010 at 08:32 PM ·

I have five dogs, and favor Labrador Retrievers.  My wife has three cats; they aren't really mine.  I don't form an attachment with cats the way I do with dogs.

February 12, 2010 at 08:48 PM ·

"What pets do violinists gravitate to?" 

Pets that don't go running yowling, barking, or meowing from the room or who feel the need to jump out the third story window to commit suicide when the violin gets picked up.

That being said I have a Pekinese and a 16 week old tiger tabby.  My dog usually sleeps near me while I play but if I start  to miss to many notes he wakes up and stares at me and often when I'm praciticing difficult double-stops he leaves the room.  My cat on the other hand either sleeps in my case or lays at my feet and, when I'm not expecting it, bites my toes.  I think he thinks it's funny when I jump and then my bow skitters across the strings squealing the whole time.   

February 12, 2010 at 10:36 PM ·

I have two cats.  I am a cat person.  Cats work for me because they are self-feeding, self-grooming, and self-waste management.  Cats are nice.

February 12, 2010 at 10:46 PM ·

I'm a cat person too. They're self sufficient, independent and not needy!

February 13, 2010 at 02:50 AM ·

We are currently running six head of cat, plus one (temporarily).  The plus one belongs to our son and daughter-in-law and is staying with us while they are in Malawi.  But the rest are all ours.

February 13, 2010 at 03:21 AM ·

I have three cats, one dove, and a box turtle.  Plus the occasional mouse establishing "squatter's rights".  There was actually one little female mouse who seemed to enjoy my playing.  She'd come out of hiding to listen, and wasn't scared off, no matter how much I moved.  Unfortunately, one of the cats ended her concert-going yesterday.  I'll miss her support.......  :(

February 13, 2010 at 04:17 AM ·

We have three cats and one dog.  Cats like nothing better than an open, empty violin case to curl up in.  Except, that is, for one of ours who is a bit, shall we say, plus-sized, and fits better in a viola case.  Someone should go into business making kitty beds out of old violin cases.  And scratching posts out of cordura case covers. 

February 13, 2010 at 04:19 AM ·

Birds since my mom is allergic to everything!   I have a couple of two beautiful male green budgies and they are...gay (frequent in birds)  They absoluntly love music even when it's terrible... They sing and become joyful with any sound stimulus really + bob their heads. Just adorable... They can be real maestro signers too.   

Anne-Marie

Horses and dogs are my favorite but any creature that is nice will do! In the past (before my mom's allergies suddenly poped out) we have had mice, fish, a chicken (very clever I swear. So affectionnate...  it's a shame we treat them as "meat"  She died of her natural death with  very desearved vet cares at the end of her life) and a lab dog for 14 years. She grew up along with me. I carry the little scarf she used to wear in my violin case for luck... but have wet eyes each time I look at it...

February 13, 2010 at 01:48 PM ·

I have 2 dogs, 3 horses, a Cockatiel, a fish, and 11 chickens.  My dogs seem to enjoy or be okay with my violin playing, even though I am not all that great.  They usually sleep near me when I'm playing, and wag their tails when I take my violin out of her case.  I had a German Shepherd a couple of years ago that would howl sometimes when I played.  At first I thought he didn't like it, but his howling always matched the (lower) notes I was playing, so my teacher said maybe he was trying to sing along. :}

February 13, 2010 at 03:31 PM ·

My guess would be cats;  they're perfectly fine if you go away for a while, as long as they are warm and have food and water.  They don't panic.  (They don't care).  I love cats and always have one (1), utterly spoiled kittiness. 

February 13, 2010 at 03:31 PM ·

Not sure why this went through twice (sorry).  Cats.  Is there any way to delete a post in this forum?   

February 13, 2010 at 10:24 PM ·

I have a wonderful little kitty <3 Cats are great because you get to cuddle them all you want, but if you need to run say, a 3 hour practice session, you don't have to stop to play with them or take them out, as you would a dog.

February 13, 2010 at 10:53 PM ·

I myself have five cats and a snake and a dog in my household. Only one of the cats and the snake is really mine, though.

February 13, 2010 at 11:03 PM ·

I have 2 dogs, my Mom has a dog and cat, and we both have fish.

February 13, 2010 at 11:47 PM ·

I had a calico cat named "Desi" for 15 years. I named her after my 19th cent. French violin, made by Desire. We were very close, and she did get very upset when I'd go away for more than 1 day.

I must admit that she didn't care much for my playing - especially high notes. She rarely entered the living room when I practiced. When she occasionally did, if I hit a high note, she'd give me a dirty look as if to say "What are you doing? You're just doing that to annoy me, aren't you?" If I did it again, she'd promptly leave the room. Perhaps I'd unwittingly played/said something insulting in - Cat-o-nese!

February 14, 2010 at 02:07 AM ·

I have a hardy outside cat that showed up one winter while I was shovelling snow and adopted me; it has no name other than "Kitty" and earns its keep (provides a good part of its own sustenance - and tries to provide for mine, too!) by mousing.  Whenever I sleep outside, which I do quite frequently in the swag I brought back from working on an Australian cattle property a few years ago, Kitty curls up beside me and lets me know when we have animals such as deer about close at hand.  My parents and sisters also have two bush horses with whom I grew up and who still seem to consider themselves partly mine when I am home for a visit!

Regarding typical pets for violinists in general, I wouldn't say this is true of *most* violinists, but has anyone else ever met the occasional violin teacher, at least, whose only pets seem to be peeves?  (Smile!)

February 15, 2010 at 01:19 AM ·

I feed a squirl that vissits my apartment twice a day.  She takes things out of my hand, I call her my Squirl Friend!  She's a sweety with an attitude!  When I play with the window open she stops eatting and sits at the window watching and listening.  She comes inside the apartment which I'm afraid she'll think it's ok to take a grand tour!  And I wont get her out and she'll go nuts!  Nature, got to love it!

February 15, 2010 at 02:10 AM ·

I just have one cat, a fluffy grey tabby named Maggie. I live alone, so a cat that could take care of itself works for me. She tends to run away when I do anything on the E string, though. ;-)

February 15, 2010 at 02:47 AM ·

I have 5 children, I mean dogs, all rescues

2 Terrier mixes named Coco & Eddie
1 Lhasa Apso named Buffy
1 Pug named Maggie
1 Chihuahua named Taco

...and if my husband weren't allergic to cats, I'd have one of those too!

Phil

February 15, 2010 at 10:47 AM ·

The best dog in the world.

February 15, 2010 at 02:33 PM ·

We have two dogs at the moment. Poka, the 8-year-old female white golden retriever, is a sweetie. She'll put up with anything. Tupplett, our 3-year-old English Shepherd, is not a violin dog, although when I play tenor or baritone (a big cello), he'll sometimes start singing along very softly. My first dog, a 110-pound male golden named Mariner, loved the contrabass better than anything. When I practiced, he'd come into the room, lie down on the floor in front of the instrument, press his nose against the wooden end pin shaft, and fall asleep. He'd awaken only to sneeze, and then doze off again. I got a lot of practicing done because I didn't want to disturb his slumber.

February 15, 2010 at 05:14 PM ·

I have a boadrer collie. When I first started to learn how to play,she couldnt leave fast enough. Now when ever I fiddle, she'll come from where ever she is in the house and lay at my feet.

guess she's my biggest critic...lol

February 15, 2010 at 08:40 PM ·

Robert, cello and doublebass vibrate so much perhaps he wanted to have a floor massage!  (dog's physiotherapy... ; )

Anne-Marie

February 16, 2010 at 06:19 AM ·

I own two dogs, and I am owned by a cat.

The dogs are older, the youngest one is 10, the elder is 12. For large dogs (85+ pounds), that is getting up there in years. 
The cat is much younger, not yet three.

February 16, 2010 at 04:45 PM ·

Since cats live longer than dogs, you'll be owned a long time ; )

Anne-Marie

February 16, 2010 at 05:14 PM ·

One of my wife's cats recently died, just shy of his twentieth birthday.  His litter-mate brother died two years ago.  Cats can drive you nuts for a long time.

February 16, 2010 at 06:25 PM ·

I have two mini schnauzers. They're just like people!

February 16, 2010 at 09:23 PM ·

Three young pit bulls (American Staffordshire Terriers) and a Maltie-Poo, all rescues.

We don't gravitate towards them, they found us, one by one.  We can't keep all of the ones that come our way, but we try to help however we can.  When these are all gone I hope we'll retire, but we thought we had already done that the last time the nest was empty.

February 16, 2010 at 10:11 PM ·

I am a violin maker, a couple of rabbits and two birds.  Sometimes many many bunnies too!

www.manfio.com

February 16, 2010 at 10:12 PM ·

Oh I've got pets...

1 Betta Fish, 2 Dogs, 3 Horses, 1 Llama, and about 20 cats (and yes, each one has a name and we can tell them apart ;))... I love them all :)

February 16, 2010 at 11:53 PM ·

I have a cat that comes running every time I start playing my violin.  I don't know why, she just looks and wants to smell it.  Maybe her way of protecting me???  Have two cats, but the other one doesn't seem to be effected by the sound.  CATS RULE!   : )

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe