What is the weirdest place where you have ever played or where you would wish to play?

January 27, 2010 at 10:53 PM ·

Have you ever played in a special or really weird place? If not, where would you like to play? Atop a mountain in summer, in a train station, in a submarine?

I would like to play in a cemetery (I know, spooky, but I'm a devout taphophile).

What would be your place of wonder, mistery or fright to play in?

Replies (24)

January 28, 2010 at 01:51 PM ·

I played in the cafeteria of the building where I work.  I did it on a dare.  To my surprise, I had people I didn't even know come up to me in the weeks since then and ask when I was going to do it again.

I have also played to the ocean on the east coast - very early when no one was around.  This I did because I had a very strong desire to do it...and I can't explain why to this day.

I would, sometime in the future, like to play in the Grand Canyon.  But, since I live on the east coast, that will be a long time coming to fruition.

---Ann Marie

January 28, 2010 at 03:26 PM ·

The weirdest place where I would like to play the violin? On stage :)

January 28, 2010 at 03:38 PM ·

In Milwaukee, on rocky coast of lake michigan, in a wild, sunny, breezy, park I thought was deserted at the time.  It was so beautiful I was inspired to join it....but somehow I couldn't continue after someone came up and complimented it....somehow people weren't meant to be the audience.

January 28, 2010 at 03:54 PM ·

I played in a public bathroom... Ah, you know the pleasure of tuning gut strings...   

Anne-Marie

places I would like to play??? Well, playing on a beautiful beach at sunset is something quite a few musicians would like to do I think! But ocean and palm trees is very far from where I live lol  

January 28, 2010 at 04:59 PM ·

When the weather's better, I often take my violin to work with me, and I try and find a place of reasonable solitude to practice. I don't see it as weird, but I've played in rest areas, parks, wooded undeveloped areas, on river banks, etc. It's a blast!

January 28, 2010 at 05:11 PM ·

I use to practice in the bathroom in the music building. The acoustics would be horrible for a performance, but the echo was like I was being wrapped in a blanket of sound. Cool stuff.

January 28, 2010 at 07:10 PM ·

Looks like bathrooms are the most favourite places to play

January 28, 2010 at 07:37 PM ·

Yes, playing the violin in a bathroom is great because....

- You can play an entire movement.
- You can roll out your entire repertoire.
- It makes you flushed with excitement.
- You can pretend you are at the Hollywood Bowl.
- It's much easier to play runs.

:) Sandy

January 29, 2010 at 01:29 AM ·

In a hotel hallway in Hong Kong.  Not enough space in the room for both me and the housekeeping staff :) Also played in a long house in Borneo...

January 29, 2010 at 11:45 AM ·

At the turn of the millenium I got a request to play the national anthem on my electric violin at midnight, using a transmitter, hanging suspended from a wire from a helicopter flying over the Royal castle.

I am happy the organizers themselves scrapped the idea because it was so outrageous I don´t know if I could have told them no!

January 29, 2010 at 04:48 PM ·

Hi, Sara: That's called playing in the highest positions.
Cheers,
Sandy

January 29, 2010 at 07:07 PM ·

I recall playing through the Bach c major fugue in a vw bus going down the NY Thruway sometime in the 70's. And, no, I was not driving.

January 29, 2010 at 07:20 PM ·

Onstage--while dressed as a pre-revolution Russian soldier--with a big ballet company.  It  was really cool  seeing the dancers up-close at eye level.  

It was mandolin, not violin, BTW, FWIW, and  all those other initials.

January 29, 2010 at 09:23 PM ·

To Sander Marcus:

Playing in the BATHROOM, feeling FLUSHED, imagining you're at the Hollywood BOWL? Somehow, all this is starting to smell...  :p

And keeping with the toilet humor, since you said that you can play an entire part while in there, I ask you: which one? Number 1 or number 2? O_o

Keep your chin up. Say cheese!

January 30, 2010 at 11:04 PM ·

Keep your lid on.

January 31, 2010 at 12:12 AM ·

I once played an all-day gig in an amusement arcade, strolling, in my dress suit, playing romantic tunes for the old ladies filling the one-armed bandits on Valentines day.They must have liked it, because they asked me back the next year. Really hard work, though.

January 31, 2010 at 05:28 PM ·

I once played the second movement of the Bach double with string quartet...at a gold mine in Alaska...outside....and it started to snow.

We kept playing because we were wearing fingerless gloves.

I did play one weirder gig with my daughter, Jessica, but I can't tell you about it because everyone would recognise it right away and it would be too embarassing...

January 31, 2010 at 08:42 PM ·

I've had some jobs that started at midnight or later.  The last band I was in (20 years ago) once went on at 3:30 in the morning at and all-night music festival in a field outside of town.  Being "the closest thing to a headliner" at the event (according to the local paper), we were supposed to get a full hour set, but the show was running late and they tried to make us quit after 30 minutes.  We just kept going, so they cut our microphones off.  So we played all-instrumentally till they cut the power to the amps.  That was fun!  I wasn't playing violin at this one either, but we did have a violinist in the band.

February 1, 2010 at 12:22 AM ·

I've played at Aycock Auditorium at University of North Carolina Greensboro, Morgan State University, my high school (duh!), a few other high schools and auditoriums in the tri county area.  I think my favorite place I've played is my church.  High ceilings= great acoustics!

At home, I usually practice in my parent's bedroom (not the best acoustic place), the upstairs bathroom (decent), the stairs are good but I'm afraid to do that with my violin.  My top place to rehearse is definitely the computer room.  Wood floors!

February 1, 2010 at 12:43 AM ·

My daughter and her boyfriend had there violins with them when they toured Luray Caverns.  They were asked to play.  You can just imagine what that must have been like.

February 1, 2010 at 02:42 AM ·

I've practiced in the small meeting room here at the office before my lessons. I got a few funny looks from my coworkers...

I also played a little bit at our company Christmas party this year. It's summer here in Australia, so Christmas parties tend to be outside. We had our party at an island out in Sydney Harbour. I didn't play all that well, cause I'm still quite the newbie, but it was fun nonetheless. :)

February 1, 2010 at 03:51 AM ·

At the Indoor Rodeo last year in a big arena...standing on a nice mixture of cow poo and dirt. 

Also, in the back seat of our car.  I didn't think this was that weird, but my mom said it was.  :)

February 1, 2010 at 11:28 PM ·

Dressed in Mozart at Halloween many times. The whole look is so cool, very elegant costume and my very white skin (from my english grand-mother...) couldn't match better in this "aristocratical" costume.   But all this before I start playing I guess ; )   Not so aristocratical!!!

Anne-Marie

February 1, 2010 at 11:38 PM ·

Cool Hanna and you even could rehair your bow there without killing the poor animals!

Anne-Marie

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe