Cadenzas for Mozart Concerto 5...

December 14, 2009 at 09:33 PM ·

Hello!

I was just wondering if anyone had recommendations to cadenzas for Mozart's Violin Concerto 5 (other than Joachim's) that are in print.

Thank you!

Replies (17)

December 14, 2009 at 10:23 PM ·

Augustin Hadelich (who was just featured on this site!) wrote an interesting cadenza for Mozart 5. Here's the link:

http://www.augustin-hadelich.de/Mozart-cadenza-5-jan-2009.pdf 

December 14, 2009 at 10:44 PM ·

Greetings,

Milstein,  or you can download a free verison of Ehnes from the Strad.  Better still,  write your own.

Cheers,

Buri

December 15, 2009 at 09:01 AM ·

Charmian Keay wrote a cadenza that can be heard on her website. The PDF is available for download.

December 15, 2009 at 09:15 AM ·

Thank you all for the suggestions!

Buri, the reason why I wanted to see others in print was because I am in the process of composing my own!  It's such a tough thing to do...to compose a cadenza...I figured that I would take a look at as many as I could find.

Is the Milstein cadenza in print?  I was also looking everywhere for the Heifetz but could not find it...

December 15, 2009 at 12:48 PM ·

Hi Patrick,

I suppose the Milstein is still inprint. It@s ina book of four cadenzas published by G.Schirmer,Inc.

Distributed by HAL Leonard Corporation.

I think I got mine from Shar.

Cheers,

Buri

December 15, 2009 at 02:09 PM ·

I remember annotating a cadenza for this concerto from a recording of Zukerman's which I thought was really good.  I remember it started on a low E and went up in broken 4ths in an A major arpeggio to a top A.  Can't help you now I am afraid as I don't know what the recording was and I don't have the music either.  You might turn up an interesting version if you listen to a lot of recordings though.

December 15, 2009 at 04:28 PM ·

If you are composing your own make sure you look at Mozart's own cadenzas, for instance in his piano concerto in a (can't remember the K #). When I wrote one, I just copied Mozart's harmonic progressions and substituted violin figurations for the piano figurations.

December 15, 2009 at 07:25 PM ·

Robert Levin has done a batch for Gidon Kremer, which may well be in print by now.  (I think I saw them but can't remember the publisher.)

I haven't heard them, but Levin is a fantastic classicist.  As a piano soloist, he is in the habit of improvising stylistically appropriate cadenzas to the Mozart Piano Concerti.  Also, he has put together a superb edition/recompletion of the Requiem, as recorded by Boston Baroque.

December 15, 2009 at 08:39 PM ·

Robert Levin's concertos for the Mozart violin concertos are published by Baerenreiter.  They're composed in segments that you can mix and match, almost like improvising your own.

December 16, 2009 at 12:40 AM ·

I'M WRITING MY OWN MOZART CADENZA TOO! (sorry for the yelling)

It's for the third concerto.  Is it acceptable to add in segments from well-known cadenzas?  And by segments I mean a bar or two at the most.

It's fun and challenging all in one.

December 16, 2009 at 01:47 AM ·

Michael,

You answered your own question. Yes it is an excellent idea to write your own cadenza and there is no reason not to borrow from others. The reason for a cadenza is to surprise and delight the audience with a technical and musical display of your own imagination. In response to your previous question about Bruch after Mozart #3, this is possible, but you need to consult with your teacher to determine that this is appropriate. At some point it is necessary to make the jump to playing more technically difficult literature and it depends on your ability and commitment to practicing. Dr. Berg

December 16, 2009 at 07:17 AM ·

Franko is another one.  The Joachim is more common but I like Franko better...

Interesting I can't think of more.  The third concerto has Auer, Ysaye, and Franko that I can think of and probably many more.

January 21, 2016 at 11:09 PM · Kreisler wrote cadenzas, at least for Mozart Violin Concertos 1-5. I'm sure the music is still available. Even though he wrote cadenzas for those works, I've been unable to find a recorded performance by Kreisler of Mozart's Violin Concerto No. 5. I do have a CD with a performance of No. 4. Kreisler's Cadenzas for various works follow the composer's theme fairly well, and are a pleasure to hear. He greatly influenced Zimbalist, Mischa Mischakoff, Francescatti, Elman, Friedman and last, but not least Heifetz studied with him for a while. . .

January 22, 2016 at 03:39 AM ·

January 22, 2016 at 03:41 AM · Greetings,

although Heifetz revered Kreisler I have personally, never seen any spoken or written evidence that he studied with him. Is this relatively new research or could you tell me where I could see this information.

Best wishes,

Buri

January 22, 2016 at 02:06 PM · There are some great "in style" cadenzas written by Franco Gulli that are quite popular nowadays

January 22, 2016 at 10:01 PM · Write your own cadenzas for Mozart concertos. It is very rewarding.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

House of Rosin
House of Rosin

Holiday Shopping Business Directory
Holiday Shopping Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe